Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Music -- technical and aesthetic

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
How are people feeling about the game music?
Is anyone listening to it?
If you don't like is it because you just don't like it or it's not playing properly, i.e. are the gaps in the music or does it seem absurdly fast or slow.
I already know crpgnut is not a fan and we've gotten some other criticism as well. But I need to figure out if it's all aesthetics or if its technical issues.

cheers,
-mat

crpgnut

Augur
sorry

My main dislike of the music stems from its pacing. I'm walking along in pastoral forests and country roads and the music sounds like the soundtrack from Blade Runner. I turned off the music a long time ago, so it may change to different styles and I am not hearing it. I'm afraid I expect music in crpgs to sound like instruments that were played in medieval times. Strings, lutes, trumpets, etc. Not synth-drums and tech sounds. Those would be much more appropriate and expected in Deus Ex or System Shock. My personal favorite game tracks are all from the early Ultima games. Ultima IV in particular.

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
We talked a lot about that and in the end decided we specifically wanted to avoid the standard musical sound, although I agree it can be a bit percussive and dark at times. Check the music section of the website if you want a complete explanation behind the sound and instrumentation...

-mat

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I haven't turned the music off yet, which is something I normally do in games. It's interesting still, and hasn't annoyed me so that's good. :)

I do like the combat music, though. I think it's probably the best track in the game.

Mistress

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
I haven't turned the music off yet, which is something I normally do in games. It's interesting still, and hasn't annoyed me so that's good. :)

I do like the combat music, though. I think it's probably the best track in the game.

Hehheh....

I quite like the music, and yes, I agree, the combat music is pretty cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom