Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Music Items and something else

laclongquan

Arcane
1. How do I use the lute, flute and other musical instrument we can buy in shops?

I try equip it like other weapons: Nope, can't do
I try Use it: Nope, no effect

2. Your party's reputation, how to find out?

Reputation affect quite a few things ingame but I cant find out where it's 'counted', as in 'good,bad,evil, famous,renown,country bumkin' or 'Rep: 300'. Official guide do mention it as a number, but... where?

3. Bandages

I read somewhere that a highlevel medic can issue an action Bandage to heal the wounded. Is that true and how high it need to be?

So what's the deal with them then?

Section8

Cipher
How do I use the lute, flute and other musical instrument we can buy in shops?

It's been a long time, but from memory, you talk to innkeepers and ask if you can play for their tavern. I could be dead wrong, though. Not quite sure about the others. As I say, it's been a long time since I've played it.

laclongquan

Arcane
No no.

Asking to perform in Inns and Taverns is standard usage of Music skill. It give you money based on your skill on the Skill screen (not really sure). The higher the music, the more money you get.

BUT, lute, for example, doesnt add to your skill. Even it's in your inventory it still doesnt add to your skill score. If you attempt a quest with Music skill check (there's at least 2 I know of) your skill doesnt get added with lute.

eth

Novice
laclongquan said:
2. Your party's reputation, how to find out?

Reputation affect quite a few things ingame but I cant find out where it's 'counted', as in 'good,bad,evil, famous,renown,country bumkin' or 'Rep: 300'. Official guide do mention it as a number, but... where?

Nowhere. Isn't it better without all these numbers, letting you focus on playing? In fact PtD would be much better without stats at all in my opinion: select bloodline, profession at start and that's it.
I mean when you select a class/profession/whatever in an RPG it could just hide ALL the other mechanics behind it, including the option of you the player altering the character. When i select a class named like "fighter" i obviously expect to get a character that is trained in physical combat (or has the talent to learn it). Why do you throw me all these stats in the face?

laclongquan

Arcane
I dont object a stat-less game. After all, PS:T did pretty well in that matter. (in weapon training I mean.levels of experienced, then proficient, then master, with trainers help you advance)

But one of PtD's charm is its handling the numbers and stats. You used the concept of 'get better at using' you have to use the number to represent 'how much better'. You cant say "Hyric improve her Armor skill" without some stats changed to show that fact. Numbers represent the advancing of time, of progress...

With that said, I am not much a fan of twisted number-manipulating games, and also not much fan of dumb-down RPG. When I am playing a RPG with much interaction between my PC and other NPCs, and the game mentioned reputation, I would want to find out about mine. After all, if you dont want me to know, you should not mention it,or use it in the game. And even the official game guide mention it as number.

Back to my question of Music item and its use:

1. I found out there are at least two instance the game check music instrument in your inventory (through dialog, anyway). There's also one quest involved the sound of some animals and music instrument (i think), but I finish the quest already before I suspect that, so I dont have a chance to test.... Next play, then. ANd I still dont know why the items contains info about Skill improvement.

And it seem with highlevel Music we do have some side-benefits (mentioned in help.txt). Camping outside with uninterupted sleep with net you temporary increases in HP. Nice!

4. The Nature skill is underdeveloped. In-game Help specifically mention at high level we could create potions both good and bad. My Urd the 1st Norm has Nature of 60 and cant find a way to create potions from witch grass, mushrooms, and various things... A messed up skill or just undeveloped?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom