Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mundaun - greyscale horror set in a valley of the alps

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.mundaungame.com

https://af.gog.com/game/mundaun?as=1649904300

Somehow reminds me of Pathologic. Looks to have more gameplay elements than it looks: open exploration, puzzle, inventory, hostile encounters, and driving:

ss_c265d2ae3a6137cf092d035511f5ebe411adf450.jpg

After learning of his grandfathers mysterious death in a fire, the protagonist travels to Mundaun for the first time since childhood. He will soon discover that something old and diabolical is haunting the remaining inhabitants. His odyssey up Mundaun mountain will take him from steep meadows across stony fields and to the snow-covered peak.

Mundaun is a lovingly hand-pencilled horror tale set in a dark, secluded valley of the alps. Explore various areas full of secrets to discover, survive hostile encounters, drive vehicles, fill your inventory and solve a variety of hand-crafted puzzles.

Key Features
  • Immerse yourself in a unique setting: An alpine world where reality and myth intertwine
  • Experience a unique greyscale aesthetic thanks to hand-pencilled textures
  • Explore varied and open levels from green meadows to snowy peaks
  • Beware of the creatures roaming the landscape
  • Solve Puzzles that are integrated into the game world as you make your way up the mountain
  • Interact with its eccentric inhabitants who even have their own obscure spoken language
  • Control vehicles such as sleighs and hay loaders.
  • Find out the dark secret behind grandfathers death

Last edited by a moderator:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bought it at launch but only got to play it recently. Didn't expect it to lean this much towards magical realism which is a genre that I utterly love, as in the game's main location has a big sense of history and geography in it, but bonker things happen around you and it almost feels like it's supposed to be like that, you know? The fact that characters speak rumantsch instead of English (and the voice acting is shockingly good as well, especially the goat head) makes the whole thing feels alienating and unsettling as fuck. Sadly the enemies look and act a bit too goofy, so far I've encountered haydudes and floating beekeepers, both are pretty easy to deal with. Stuffs like a decapitated walking dog spooked me much more.

Although I don't really recommend it right now since the game has quite a lot of bugs. In one instance when I was walking in a bunker, the game suddenly flashed a weird white landscape screen, thought it was some hidden spooky easter egg so I tried WASD'ing around that spot just to fall off the map :hahano:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played this game in 1 day. From afternoon to past midnight. Really great game. Excellent atmosphere and environment. Good puzzle design and encounter, while never too complex (on the scale myst and walking sim, i'd put it in the middle. Maybe around blackwell era wadjet eye games level of complexity)

My only complain is, while i love the graphics, some area just really isn't that clear looking/muddy. I friggin love the voice acting. Apparently it's the local language, but to my untrained ear it sounds like milder version of german.

I also agree with ragnarrox, brewing coffee is zen af.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom