Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MUDs in 2012? Are there any good ones left?

Gozma

Arcane
I was trying to think of a less loaded term than "LARPing" (wrt the Codex definition anyway). But my personal experience with MUDs featured zero "roleplaying"/LARPing/playacting (I never even came across it) and I'm afraid of how distorted "RPG history" can get in the soup of marketing. Lots of people think, like, Ultima Online invented PK or crafting or fucking anything at all when those things and more were absolutely everywhere in MUDs. I don't want people to automatically associate MUDs with a particular subset activity on them.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, you're definitely preaching to the choir here. There were MUDs in 1993 with more features (or the germ of those features, certainly) than almost any graphical MMO ever made in the two decades since has had.

Of course, you also paid by the hour to connect to MUDs back then. Only prosperous nerds both knew about them and could afford to play.

Stabwound

Arcane
Wow, old thread.

Yeah, I was never into MUDs in their heydey, but they sounded like an era of amazing games that is long lost to time. Like Ultima Online on steroids. I remember reading accounts of people on Discworld MUD, where you could play a thief and break into player homes, steal shit, rob people, etc. There would be player-run assassination guilds and people would put a price on your head, shit like that.

It's really mindblowing that such an awesome interactive online world genre has been reduced to "kill 10 rats for a reward and repeat. Plus no touching!!!!"

Gozma

Arcane
Hah, that bot bumped the thread exactly one year from the antecedent post so I didn't notice it was a necro

flabbyjack

Arcane
Aha found it! I heavily recommend: Accursed Lands http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=Accursed Lands
Explore the vast world of Terrinor and its six million plus fully-detailed
locations.
mud.accursed-lands.com 8000
There is nothing quite like it that I have found. Perform character generation the old fashioned way by selecting choices from a chronological randomization of life events. EG 'Your brother steals your toy, do you A) smash his face in with a rock B) cry to your mother or C) wait until he is asleep then give him AIDS. A gigantic world map where it takes time to travel. Just surviving can be tough. Permadeath, skill based system, level-less class-less... try it! It lends itself really well to the roleplaying experience, but the whole permadeath thing can be a little unforgiving.

The Two Towers was OK. I would recommend Core, which employs each player as a miner in a sci-fi setting, and has some pretty darn complex quests that are mandatory for progression. I WOULD recommend it, except that it may be dead :/

Tried Arrant Destiny, it was OK, and I got to play as a regenerating troll.

Edit: Forgotten Kingdoms is a shitty MUD

baturinsky

Arcane
DiscworldMUD is great. First, it's pretty authentic Discworld. Second, it's quite deep and interesting MUD with lots of ways to play. You can go and kill things if you want, but if you don't feel like it, you can just explore world (exploration exp!), do puzzle-like quests (though they are a little too hard to find and figure out sometimes), or just sit around, chat and click macro once in a while to use some skills and get exp just for it.

I played as a Pishite, which is probably most interesting, but also most demanding class. Basically, Pishite (priest of goddess Pishe) is the one that can properly resurrect. So, if anyone in the world dies, he/she asks some Pishite to come, raise, maybe help to recover corpse from bottom of crocodile pit (quite popular spot), and receive a customary donation. So, if you play as one, you will meet a lot of people, see a lot of places, etc. Thankfully, all priests have quite good means of teleporting around - Mark/Recall with unlimited Marks, in TES therms. You just have to travel the world once to make your own library of teleport spots, which was probably most fun experience I had there.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I know I am going to get flamed for this...But.

Any MUDs with graphics? I just cannot look at the nethack like @ Monsters and $ shops or whatever and need to see some representation beyond what is on my keyboard.

I have tried a couple MUDs and I really want to like them- Same with roguelikes- But the lack of graphics kills me.

(now I will really get flamed for this...)

Why cant someone make a MUD with the same visual representation as a shitty browser MMO? I think alot of people would play if we can get past the archaic design.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
DarKPenguiN
There's software that will map out MUD rooms for you. ZMUD/CMUD are clients that have that functionality built-in, though it can take some tweaking to get them working automatically. The closest thing to a MUD with visual representations is probably BatMUD.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
ASCII converted Vulture's Eye for Nethack. I imagine there's something similar floating around for MUDS of near equal quality.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
ASCII converted Vulture's Eye for Nethack. I imagine there's something similar floating around for MUDS of near equal quality.

I assure you there isn't, because MUDs simply aren't structured that way. These are about as sophisticated as MUD GUIs get, and frankly I think BatMUD's has way too much superfluous nonsense.

screeny1.png

screenshot-v161.png

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Me and several other codexers (from CDS) have been playing Discworld mud for the last couple days, it's p. great. Too bad I wasn't interested in muds ten years ago.

TripJack

Hedonist
First logged on Sun Jun 30 21:48:46 2013.
22 hours, 13 minutes and 18 seconds old.

you've got the addiction hoaxy

Stabwound

Arcane
Are you guys getting into Discworld heavily? I've always wanted to try it but it seemed super daunting to start at this point, and I wasn't sure if its time has long passed or not. I'd be willing to dick around with it a little maybe if there is a codex group playing.

Multi-headed Cow

Are you guys getting into Discworld heavily? I've always wanted to try it but it seemed super daunting to start at this point, and I wasn't sure if its time has long passed or not. I'd be willing to dick around with it a little maybe if there is a codex group playing.
Hoax, Absalom, and Jack have been playing fairly regularly. I've been talking 'em through a lot of stuff in CDS Steam chat. I've been dicking with the thief I made in 2000, then made a new wizard just the other day to play with the bros but I've been lazy as hell and haven't been questing enough to get XP, and I don't have the patience to idle for XP or spam spells to get TMs. Probably shouldn't have made a wizard.

As for the MUD itself, it is super daunting to start but it's still ridiculously deep and enjoyable. Fair amount of people playing too, 50-100 people at all hours of the day. It's nowhere near what it once was (Where you'd hit 150-200 commonly. And on top of that AM and the world itself was smaller) but it's not shabby.

Though getting back into the MUD after all these years has been weird. I remember some things really well, others I remember as soon as I get a bit of information about them, and then most dangerous of all is the shit I don't remember at all. Got killed by a group of fighters when I flubbed a filch despite 301 levels in co.ma.st and now I'm down to my last life. Gonna have to pull money out of the bank which I hate to do, but I'd hate to lose my old character even more.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Get in CDS and we'll sort you out. The population, of course, could be better but game itself is quite deep and rewarding, at least for me.

artakserkso

Educated
Gonna have to pull money out of the bank which I hate to do, but I'd hate to lose my old character even more.
You can always just go hunting in safe, yet lucrative places. Those Ankh-Morpork royals flow in fairly quickly (AM$100, for those not in the know---a couple of those donated to Pishe grant you an additional life to the 8 you start with).

Also, there is the Rite of AshkEnte, if you actually spend a life you don't have. It takes many people (8 wizards) and a lot of money (AM$15000 worth of items) to cast, however.

Multi-headed Cow

You can always just go hunting in safe, yet lucrative places. Those Ankh-Morpork royals flow in fairly quickly (AM$100, for those not in the know---a couple of those donated to Pishe grant you an additional life to the 8 you start with).

Also, there is the Rite of AshkEnte, if you actually spend a life you don't have. It takes many people (8 wizards) and a lot of money (AM$15000 worth of items) to cast, however.
Safe yet lucrative places, eh? I don't know how safe "Safe" would be for me, 'cause my thief's basically a glass cannon. Using two ruby hilted rapiers (Back when I got them they were pretty good for one handed swording, no idea if they still are) with 240-ish level in swords and I can land a pretty decent backstab to open combat with, but once that's done I've only got 60 or so levels of dodge and 1,200 HP so I get beat up pretty fast.

And I didn't know about Ashkente, don't think they had that back in the day. I haven't got $15,000 to spend on it anyway. My whole life's savings comes out to around $5,000. I might have some items that I could sell for a good chunk of change 'cause I may have items that aren't on the MUD any more (Used to have a dictionary of cussing until I gave it to a buddy, I know those used to be worth a pile) but again, no idea. Still got my newbie sash which is written in common so no one can read it any more, that's probably worth a lot! Right!? RIGHT!? :M

artakserkso

Educated
Um... 50 royals nets you quite a few lives. Why would you be worried about losing all of them? Just be careful to buy lives with some time in between, otherwise they get more expensive.

Try the Djelibeybi bazaar. There you have not-that-tough rich traders/men/women, architects, scribes and what not. Steal/loot their stuff, perhaps go to Gapp's temple to repair clothes, sell/fence, rinse/repeat.

baturinsky

Arcane
Stealing around AM is quite safe (for guild member, of cause). If you get caught, you just run away. Djelibeybi can be worse for thieves, because, crocodiles.

artakserkso

Educated
Crocodiles shouldn't be a problem as long as one stays away from cats, priests, and the croc pit.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
MUDs (still) have perhaps the greatest potential for depth of play, immersive online LARPing, player customization, and long-lasting enjoyment—and because they're almost purely text and code (graphical interpreters aside), you don't have to pay 2 artists, 3 animators, and 5 professional programmers $200,000 to add a few small bits of content. The admins can selectively choose non-cringeworthy players and grant them the ability to write new rooms, characters, items, and so on, which they'll happily do for free.

But much like tabletop RPGs, there are some turds in the punchbowl. For MUDs, it's the fact that it's a dying genre with 95% of the active population concentrated in Iron Realms Entertainment, Simutronics, Tardwolf, and adult-themed MUDs/MUSHes/MU*, with the remaining scraps spread out over all the rest of the MU*s in existence. The genre is completely stagnant. Want to start a new MU*? Good luck with that, there are already dozens and dozens with tiny populations in every flavor you can imagine. That, and the fact that there will always be a percentage of any MU*'s player base comprised of gross attention-whoring hagqueens and entitled fatbeard dweeblords stirring up middle school-caliber drama within the game, because that MUD is literally their social life and their entire self-esteem depends on their imaginary persona. Essentially, the sort of people who never progressed past the emotional age of 12 or so.

Tabletop RPGs suffer from dorky people who just want to sit in a room, make fart jokes, roll some dice, shoot the shit, and essentially play grown-up GI Joes. Tabletop RPGs are supposed to be fun and not historical reenactments, but it's excessively difficult to find people who'll take their fun seriously and put real thought into their characters, into what their characters say and do, and really get invested in the storyline. My vision of playing a tabletop RPG is for the group to create the equivalent of a Ridley Scott film, but a huge quantity just want to make a shitty Michael Bay film with clowns and dragons in it. They want to live out their own casual personal fantasies (I want a tiny blue pet dragon, purple eyes, the ability to wield four lightsabers, etc.), and that's it. Not to mention only playing D&D or World of Darkness, and never anything more complex or obscure.

It's theoretically possible to get four serious players together, and I've done it twice (one group lasted for a year), but it's just too much fucking trouble to find them nowadays.

My expectations of both MUDs and tabletop RPGs were probably far too high, even when I was a teenager. I expect to create a world with other people, a compelling and genuine-feeling jointly-told narrative, but that's excessively rare. Usually it's just a bunch of jerkwads frigging themselves off and giggling around a table.

Stabwound

Arcane
What's weird about MUDs is that people, to this day, design and release new ones that just fail. It's virtually impossible to launch a new game, but if you read the MudConnector forums, it seems like new ones come out on a bi-weekly basis. Like you said, the population just isn't there anymore. By far the most popular ones are the pay to play ones, and I guess that's because they have the budget to advertise.

The Iron Realms games are ridiculous, because while they're "free" they are the first and most egregious example of pay 2 win. You can play the game without paying a cent, but you are basically a gimp compared to Mr Fifty-year-old basement dweller that can spend hundreds of dollars in credits a month on it. The game is pointless, because you can barely function without paying, and if you do pay, you become a demi-god. These guys were ahead of the curve in pay2win bullshit long before games like Lord of the Rings Online.

Gemstone IV is popular, but it's pay to play and is like $50/month for a premium account. Fucking highway robbery compared to the $12-15/month it is for any modern MMO, and on top of that, they have a pay2win store.

Fuck these companies for sucking the only MUD fanbase into their "games."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom