Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mowrghek Îen - Bog Dragons, Llengrath Battle

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I made around 10 attempts to pass the dragon battle that opens up in The White March 2, and I finally did it today. I looked for tactical advice and info on the net, but except for a video from this March, I couldn't find anything useful, so I'm sharing my experience here. Hopefully it emerges in google search and someone somewhere, finds PoE help on the Codex (of all places).

Difficulty - PotD. Party composition - PC (Paladin - Bleak Walker), Eder, Devil of Caroc, Durance, Aloth, Grieving Mother. Everybody is lvl 16 except for Grieving Mother who is lvl 15.

Battle Tips:
- End the conversation by hitting the spacebar. This way you will pause the game simultaneously.
- Expect to spend about 70% of the battle paused. PoE is a pause-with-realtime game, not a RTWP game.
- Make sure you have some Scrolls of Valor (+20 Accuracy), Scrolls of Defense (+20 to all Defenses), and 10-15 Scrolls of Paralysis. Spread the Scrolls of Paralysis between at least two different party members. I separated them between three.

- Send one character with high defenses and with Boots of Speed west while the rest of the party retreats to the south-east. Unpause the game. In my case that was my PC.

- A couple of seconds after you have done this, the game realizes that combat has started. At this time all your characters will stop in place, their move commands cancelled. Pause the game and reissue the same commands. That's some GOTY user interface material right there.

- The group of enemies will start chasing after your lone party member and this will give you time to cast buffs with the other party members. PoE is a game that has been balanced to perfection, and as a result of that, you can cast only smaller buffs before battle. For buffing during the battle, the god of balance has decided that cheesing is a more fair and immersive method. Some people would say that disabling your from buffing before battle is cheesing on part of the game designer himself, but anyway.

- By careful pausing and unpausing, run circles around the enemies with your single character. While the enemies are trying to catch up with him, cast the following buffs:
1. Scroll of Defense - best cast this with someone other than your Priest, because the priest should at this time be casting
2. Minor Avatar - go with that first, because it will increase, among other things, your intellect and by extension - the duration of the other buffs you cast
3. Crowns of the Faithful
4. Shields of the Faithful
5. Devotions of the Faithful
6. (Possibly) Holy Power
7. Prayer Against Imprisonment - or the corresponding Scroll of Prayer Against Imprisonment
8. Prayer Against Fear - if there is time. The only real danger of Fear/Terrified afflictions will be the dragons, and their arrival should be slowed down a bit by the party member who is distracting them.

- The point of circling around with one character is to give yourself time for buffing and to arrange it so that you are if possible, attacked by less than the full group of enemies, or at least not by everyone at the same time.

- Eventually, a single Xaurip Archer may reach your 5 party members, if you haven't finished buffing yet, keep casting buffs instead of running towards the Xaurip and the center of the map. If possible retreat farther south to lure the Xaurip in that direction. Keep casting buffs and respond to the Xaurip with ranged weapons.

- Usually, a Bog Cult Apprentice (or something like that, a different kith caster than Llengrath, in any case) will come upon the party from the north and will soon be joined by the two dragons. Around the same time, you should be approached by a Bog Lurker, Xaurip High Priest, and a couple of Xaurip Archers from the west.

- Cast Confusion on the Xaurips so they can kill each other, pin down the Bog Lurker with a party member who can withstand hits (in my case the Devil of Caroc was good enough), so he can't reach your casters.

- Cast Storm of Holy Fire upon the whole enemy group. The spell has a huge AoE and causes Burn Damage. The dragons have pretty high Burn DR, but it will hit the Lurker, the Xaurips and the kith caster.

- Use a paralyzing spell or scroll to try to stop the Xaurips and lurker in place. Ninagauth's Shadowflame was great for that purpose, because it does Freeze damage in addition to paralyzing them, and Xaurips are more vulnerable to Freeze damage. In my fight, once they were paralyzed, they were great target practice for Grieving Mother which could build up Focus and eventually cast Defensive Mindweb, which is a pretty effective buff to everyone's defenses.

- Use your tank to engage the dragons. In my case, only one dragon arrived at first, followed by the other one some 10 seconds of unpaused time later.

- The core of the strategy is to keep the dragons from using their breath abilities, and keep them Prone, Paralyzed, Petrified. The Paralyzed affliction hurts their Reflex defense bringing it down in the 40s, which allows you to cast some devastating damage-dealing spells with your wizard, which attack the Reflex defense. Both dragons have low Freeze DR, one of them has a low Pierce DR too (16-17). You can decrease their DR further and decrease their Deflection, with Expose Vulnerabilities.

- In this case, the spells I was casting with Aloth were:
1. Kalakoth's Freezing Rake - as many times as was possible. I managed to align the AoE in such a way that it was hitting the already paralyzed Xaurips and the (non-paralyzed) Lurker which were on my party's left side, and the Dragons, which were on my party's right side. By the third casting of this spell, the Xaurips and Lurker were pretty much dead and I finished them off with the Devil, who I then used to kill the Xaurip High Priest which was a bit farther to the west than the Lurker/Xaurips.
2. Chain Lightning - Only hits enemies, causes Shock damage, attacks Reflex. Perfect for your needs. Both dragons have less than great Shock DR. I preferred this over Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar, because it does more damage, however Freezing Pillar causes Freeze Damage, so it's up to you. Don't use all your 6 lvl spells for casting Chain Lightning/Freezing Pillar, try to cast Gaze of the Adragan at least once, to petrify one of the dragons (the other one is immune to Petrify)
3. Ninagauth's Killing Bolt - This one attacks fortitude, but causes huge raw damage. Spam it on one of the dragons to kill it off quickly.
- To maximize your chances, be sure to have Aloth's accuracy buffed with a Scroll of Valor (preferably).

- Between casting these spells, make sure you track the remaining duration of the Paralyze affliction you have on the dragons. Keep casting the paralyze scrolls on them, watching out not to hit your party members. If you do paralyze one of your own party, use Prayer Against Imprisonment (spell or scroll) if you haven't already cast that during the buffing period.

- If a dragon manages to avoid the paralyze affliction, you can quickly knock it down with your fighter. The dragons both have +20 defense vs. Prone attacks but your fighter should be buffed enough to overcome that. I was able to knock them down every time with Eder.

- As long as you keep them properly paralyzed with the scrolls, and don't allow them to cast the breath abilities, you should wear them down eventually.

- Don't forget to summon Concelhaut himself. He has a great spell that you can cast once - Concelhaut's Crushing Doom. The dragons have pretty high crush DR which makes it unadvisable to cast it on them, but it should be used on Llengrath or the other caster.

- In my case, Llengrath returned to her place while I was fighting the dragons. An issue with the encounter composition I guess. If she joins the battle in your attempts, do your best to kill her off first, again by casting paralyze and then hitting her with the Foe AoE wizard spells. Cast Concelhaut's Crushing Doom on her too.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
If I remember correctly, one of the dragons is a lot more squishy. The one that spawns on the right.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From looking at their stats, I'd rather say one is a bit weaker, but neither one felt especially squishy. One does more damage and has the more annoying ability (Acid Breath), has more HP and higher DRs. Their defenses seem to be balanced out.

Gafonercos
Beast
Endurance: 810
Accuracy: 139

Damage: 35-40 Corrode
Damage (LH): None

Attributes
Might: 25
Constitution: 20
Dexterity: 28
Perception: 22
Intellect: 24
Resolve: 26

Defenses
Deflection: 121
Reflex: 140
Fortitude: 130
Will: 140

DR: 21
Slash: 32
Pierce: 16
Burn: Imm.
Freeze: 16
Shock: 11
Corrode: Imm.

Abilities: Breath, Fear Aura, Tail Whip
Immune to Charmed, Confused, Dragon Breath, Frightened, Ground, Stuck, Terrified, Unconscious
Resistances: (+20) Prone

Turisulfus
Beast

Endurance: 972
Accuracy: 134

Damage: 62-74 Crush/Pierce
Damage (LH): 62-74 Crush/Pierce

Attributes
Might: 28
Constitution: 26
Dexterity: 18
Perception: 24
Intellect: 16
Resolve: 25

Defenses
Deflection: 140
Reflex: 124
Fortitude: 148
Will: 122

DR: 34
Crush: 26
Pierce: 51
Burn: 43
Freeze: 17
Corrode: Imm.

Abilities: Acid Breath, Fear Aura, Horn Slash, Tail Lash, Wing Slam
Immune to Confused, Dominated, Dragon Breath, Frightened, Petrified, Stuck, Terrified
Resistances (+20) Prone

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I liked this fight a lot more than the Adra and Ice (?) dragons. Was difficult but not in a "1-hit-you're-fucked" kind of way.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Find time for landing an arkemyr's wondrous torment on whatever big enemy you're hitting. It gives -40 will, -20 reflex.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Find time for landing an arkemyr's wondrous torment on whatever big enemy you're hitting. It gives -40 will, -20 reflex.
That was probably in some old game version. I wrote or rewrote all the Wizard spell descriptions in the wiki: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Arkemyr's_Wondrous_Torment

Also, it attacks Will, and it's very difficult to reduce Will, with the kind of party I had at least, by using spells/abilities that don't themselves attack Will. Most of what reduces Will attacks Will, which is one those instances where the game selectively decides to take a simulationist approach.

In general Josh takes simulationist or gamist approach as he decides, and then makes up reasons to defend his arbitrary decisions.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh, come on. This fight wasn't hard enough to warrant a guide. Besides, you shouldn't use Scrolls of Paralysis, those are for newbs who can't win any other way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom