Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Wow that looks very interesting. I never heard of this game before, but it reminds me a bit of Mountain Blade.

Momock

Augur
How it is going to work to distribute the skill progression between the player and the companions? When you detect tracks then... everybody is slighty better at detecting tracks? Or you'll have to "tag" the skills that you want to increase in a menu, for each caracter, and then only these will increase when used? Or you'll earn progression for the skill in name of the party and then choose the caracter who is going to earn the skill point?

Either way: this is fucking stupid. First victim of this was AoD in space, now M&B 2... why are they doing this?

Of course, if no more actual skill points are there and only improving by doing remains, that would be kinda shitty...

I am kinda amazed by the fact that you think it is probable that it would be otherwise.
I mean I trust TaleWords, but the facts I see before my eyes scream decline and I cannot pretend that I don't think it is not the case here.
Fuck Skyrim.
:negative:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course, if no more actual skill points are there and only improving by doing remains, that would be kinda shitty...

I am kinda amazed by the fact that you think it is probable that it would be otherwise.
To be honest, I always felt the way skills worked in M&B felt pretty disconnected from the game - except the weapons. So I'm all in favor of them improving things.
This isn't a pure RPG, but very much a hybrid between... a lot of things.

More important to me than how exactly skills are improved would be how many skills there are and how significant they are.

To be honest, I always felt the way skills worked in M&B felt pretty disconnected from the game - except the weapons. So I'm all in favor of them improving things.
This isn't a pure RPG, but very much a hybrid between... a lot of things.

More important to me than how exactly skills are improved would be how many skills there are and how significant they are.

I actually liked M&B skill system. Apart from tracking and persuasion, there were no useless skills there. At every level up you had a variety of skills to choose from and you wanted and needed to improve many skills at once. There was a real dilemma how to use your skill and attribute points. System was very good at what it was trying to achieve.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I still hope they get the game out before all these shenanigans with Turkey get worse.

The game will be fine as long as the player will morph into Erdogan if he can conquer the whole Calradia and every unit killed in game will be titled as gulenist afterwards.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
You do realize M&B always had an improve-by-doing system?
With weapons, for example. All you did by investing skill points was to get some additional points for this, raise the max (I think) and get other bonuses. But at least with weapons, the best way to improve them was to use them.

So as long as there is still both, skill points and improve-by-doing, I don't see much of a problem.

It was only for weapons. All other skills progression was point based. Learn by doing was only a small part of the overall system.
According to the article all skills are now using improve by doing progression system. Tracking was a skill points based skill before.
So?
Nothing speaking against applying a similar logic as was used with weapons to other skills.

Most of the skills in M&B are passive. "learn by doing" doesn't work so well when doing or not doing isn't actually a choice, unless you go out of your way to find situations to grind a specific skill. With the proposed system every character will be probably an expert tracker at the end of the game, whether or not you start as a steppe hunter or a nobleman who hardly knows what dirt is.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most of the skills in M&B are passive. "learn by doing" doesn't work so well when doing or not doing isn't actually a choice, unless you go out of your way to find situations to grind a specific skill. With the proposed system every character will be probably an expert tracker at the end of the game, whether or not you start as a steppe hunter or a nobleman who hardly knows what dirt is.
Exactly. And that would be a very obvious design mistake to make, right? Even the worst designers would realize in testing that something cannot be right if every character ends up an expert tracker.
Which is why I strongly suspect there will be more to it than just straightforward improving by doing.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/News/170

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord at E3 2017 – Where to Watch

We are extremely excited to be at E3 this year demonstrating battles in Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. Our focus at this year’s expo is to showcase the game’s deep and intuitive combat system and advanced battle AI in more depth.

PCGAMINGSHOW2017.jpg

Your first chance to see some of what we have to reveal will be on the PC Gaming Show which starts at 10:00 PDT / 18:00 BST. Our announcements will follow, so make sure you keep an eye on our channels for the latest on Bannerlord!

https://www.taleworlds.com/

https://www.facebook.com/mountandblade/

https://twitter.com/Mount_and_Blade/

https://www.youtube.com/user/taleworldschannel/

We look forward to showing you more from the game and hope that you enjoy what we have to offer!

tindrli

Arcane
I don't remember is this video new or not

they sure dont give a fuck about reality... FFS

aand on the other side my laptop surely wont be able to run it :(

aand iMHO they should implement the whole range of animals starting from dogs to jungle apes, polar bears elephants bulls and such.. shit, it would be a blast to see some southern tribes riding ostrich ....

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/News/174

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord - Battles and Combat Detailed at E3

We are extremely excited to be able to share with you two new videos showcasing our advanced battle AI and deep and intuitive combat system! Both of the battles shown are available as demos for press to play throughout E3. This is the first time we have made the game available to play outside of our office, marking a huge milestone in the development of Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. We hope you enjoy them!

LOS ANGELES (June 12, 2017– TaleWorlds Entertainment has released two videos showing an extended look at the large-scale, epic combat in their upcoming follow-up to Mount & Blade: Warband – Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord.

Key Battle Improvements

Battles are at the very core of the series and play better than ever in the latest instalment.
  • Advanced Formations – Merge and split forces at your behest, with intuitive but powerful control over the movement, form and behavior of every unit! Order heavy infantry to hold together, shoulder-to-shoulder in a slowly advancing but near impenetrable shield wall; or launch your cavalry in lightning charges using the skein formation.
  • Battlefield AI – AI commanders can execute complex tactics, utilizing the advanced formation options to present a formidable challenge. Their behavior is drawn from actual historical tacticians, for example Alexander the great, who used his superior cavalry forces to rout their counterparts in the opposing army, before delivering a crushing blow to the enemy’s main force. This not only creates the feeling of an authentic medieval battle but also proves effective in-game, as in reality.
  • Sergeant System – Commanders now designate units to other lords in battle, including the player! Execute the orders issued by your commander throughout the fight, and use your own instincts to do your part and help secure victory on the field of battle. Lead the horse archers as they skirmish and harass the enemy to disrupt their lines before your allies finish them off, or take control of the cavalry and charge into the fray to devastate entire units at once!

Key Combat Updates

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord also features greatly updated combat, which builds on previous instalments in a number of ways while retaining its intuitive, direction-based core that made it so popular among players.
  • Directional Shield Blocking and Shield Bash – These two features revitalize the sword & board gameplay, making it a more engaging experience than ever before! Blocking in the wrong direction will not necessarily get you killed but it will cause your shield to break faster, leaving you defenseless against missiles and vulnerable against multiple foes. Shield bashing, a highly requested feature, temporarily stuns your opponent and knocks them back, lowering their defenses and giving you room to breathe.
  • Directional Shield Blocking and Shield Bash – These two features revitalize the sword & board gameplay, making it a more engaging experience than ever before! Blocking in the wrong direction will not necessarily get you killed but it will cause your shield to break faster, leaving you defenseless against missiles and vulnerable against multiple foes. Shield bashing, a highly requested feature, temporarily stuns your opponent and knocks them back, lowering their defenses and giving you room to breathe.
  • Attack Chaining – Swings that complete their motion can now be chained into follow-up attacks which can catch your opponent off-guard after a miss. Unbalanced weapons such as hammers and axes also use the momentum of the first swing for a faster follow-up!
  • Improved Animations and Combat Engine – Huge effort has gone into making Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord’s combat as fluid and visually appealing as possible. Damage dealt is now calculated with a great degree of physical depth, factoring in the weight distribution of every individual weapon. This means that whether you are executing a perfectly timed thrust while thundering towards a hapless archer on horseback or shooting an arrow across the battlefield to whittle down your opponent’s infantry forces before the melee, the game will understand all of the forces involved and produce consistent, realistic and satisfying results every time.

“It is great to be back at E3 with Bannerlord, demonstrating the best Mount & Blade battles ever. Our team worked very hard on developing all aspects of the battles, which are so central to the game. We are thrilled to showcase our work and looking forward to seeing the response.”
Armagan Yavuz – CEO / Founder, TaleWorlds

Directional Shield Blocking and Shield Bash – These two features revitalize the sword & board gameplay, making it a more engaging experience than ever before! Blocking in the wrong direction will not necessarily get you killed but it will cause your shield to break faster, leaving you defenseless against missiles and vulnerable against multiple foes. Shield bashing, a highly requested feature, temporarily stuns your opponent and knocks them back, lowering their defenses and giving you room to breathe.

This sounds interesting. Can't wait to try this feature out

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I can already smell the mods that will make the dust from the battle more permanent so that it a large battle site actually becomes extremely hard to see in.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Also, it's been confirmed that stats will have no effect in combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P8AYtiaaFE

Start at 8:10

"It's all action gameplay"

This isn't an RPG, and the thread should be moved to the General Gaming section.
I'm impressed how anyone could watch that video and come up with that. And that quote doesn't even exist.
Were you under the influence or did that heavy accent just confuse you? :roll:

All they say is that the combat is the action part of the gameplay and controlled by player skill (as Mount & Blade has always been, duh!) and that damage is calculated by the physical simulation, which is also "as always".
Not a thing said about stats having no effect in combat.
From the videos, it just looks like M&B: Stats may have an influence on stuff like spread (for ranged weapons) and reload times, attack speed (for melee weapons), etc. Afaik, stats never had a direct influence on damage in M&B. If an arrow with speed X hits an enemy on spot Y (+ more factors like armor), the damage will always be the same. Stats influence how easy it is for the player to pull that off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom