Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Decided to spend that $4 on a Bannerlord preorder instead... whenever it comes out.

Zanzoken

Arcane
M&B Dev said:
"They routed because their commander was killed in battle."

"This is new in Bannerlord, in Warband it was less permanent, characters could only be captured and weren't deleted from the world. But now they can actually die, and this guy's king will have to find other characters to grant his now lordless fiefs to."

So apparently permadeath for AI lords is in.

Not sure on the exact implementation but it could be a good solution to the "hamster wheel" problem of smashing your enemies only to have them show up again a week later with a new army.

Last edited:

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
So apparently permadeath for AI lords is in. Not sure on the exact implementation but it could be a good solution to the "hamster wheel" problem of smashing your enemies only to have them show up again a week later.

Might be cool if subsequent Lords had some sort of random chance of being a descendant of a defeated enemy who comes after you for revenge.

I'm assuming that more Lords will appear at some point if it's possible to permanently kill them.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Might be cool if subsequent Lords had some sort of random chance of being a descendant of a defeated enemy who comes after you for revenge.

Something like the Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor? Now that would be interesting.

I'm assuming that more Lords will appear at some point if it's possible to permanently kill them.

Yeah I edited my post to add an exact quote from the devs. Faction leaders will be able to appoint replacements.

I think it would make a lot of sense if appointing new lords could only be done in peacetime. That way each faction would really feel the attrition of losing battles and armies over the course of a war.

Perkel

Arcane
I guess that at least partially explains why Bannerlord has taken so long.

Actually it doesn't.
Warband was made by 2 people dude and his wife.

Turkish efficiency at work ?

Then there is PoP mod which is basically bigger and better than warband which was made by several modders also done in less time than Bannerlord takes.

Imo they probably scrapped Bannerlord at some point and tried to make different game then they got suprised by long legs of their previous work and they took warband and started tinkering with it.

Dux

Arcane
I figured I'd give it a shot since it was only $4 but not really impressed so far.

The goal apparently was to be historically accurate, which I can appreciate... except the Viking age actually seems pretty boring from a military standpoint. Horses and heavy armor are very expensive and rare, you can't shoot bows on horseback, and I don't think lances even exist in the game. So that core M&B experience of galloping around fucking dudes up is kinda gutted.

What you are left with is a bunch of barbarians in tunics wielding axes, knives, and round shields. Imagine Nords with a little bit of Vaegirs and Rhodoks sprinkled in, and that's every kingdom. Which again seems realistic for the time period but feels quite limited even compared to vanilla.

Granted I've only been playing the Story mode and I'm not very far in, so these are just first impressions. And to its credit the Story has already had some good C&C which was really a surprise.

I got quite far in story mode. There were some interesting moments to be sure, lending the whole M&B formula some much, much needed focus. It all falls apart however when the game calls on you to play it like a regular M&B game again. It's such a fucking grind. There was one moment where I just knew that the game had predictably ruined whatever momentum it had built up. It's extremely difficult to muster a decent sized army to contend with the AI (which the game eventually expects you to do) and that's when everything falls apart. If you wait too long for example, every single enemy town will have at least 600 men guarding it. If you end up taking a required town and using up all your guys in the fight, you'll soon lose it again when the AI legions shows up to take it back. It's maddening. That's where I quit. It's a shame, though, because as you said, there's some decent C&C in there. Story line mode should never devolve into the standard M&B grind fest nonsense. If you're the marshall it's a bit easier but all of it requires so much time invested and M&B generally makes sure that you get nothing back for your troubles. That's just the way it is.

At least it wasn't as bad as the WFaS storylines.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Faction leaders will be able to appoint replacements.

Sounds like this will solve some of the issues with creating your own faction too. Being able to hire fresh Lords rather than having to lure them to be loyal to me, or having to sacrifice companions
Hopefully all new lords were companions at first. Drop companions from being a player only thing. Let other lords have them too, so they can be promoted.

How will it handle perma-death of player character? Other kings?

I prefer the idea of demotion more than permadeath.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Make it a dinasty like in Crusader Kings. When your main character dies you can control one of your sons, so you have to ensure your family name prevails, making your wife give you strong healthy children. It's game over when your enemies have killed all of those under your name.

Would be cool to have a mod like that.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
f you end up taking a required town and using up all your guys in the fight, you'll soon lose it again when the AI legions shows up to take it back. It's maddening. That's where I quit.
Annoying as this was, I just avoided a siege by running out of the castle and having the enemy lords chase me for a while.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
They already released a mobile port of Warband like 2 years back.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Is there already some sort of release timeframe for Bannulord? I am really tired of looking up the same vague information after 5 years now.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Probably Early Access in 2017 :lol: It's simply incredible how people get away with not working these days

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom