Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most overrated crpgs on codex that likaq doesn't like ( poll )

Most overrated crpgs on codex

• Total voters

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Gothic for me. I just can't deal with the controls of that game. I've tried so many times to get into that game and understand what people see in it, but i can't get past the controls. I'm not picky when it comes to games and have played several games that aren't very popular or liked, but I can't handle those damn controls in Gothic.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
He said he couldn't vote because Morrowind was missing from the poll.

Keppo

Arbiter
Gothic for me. I just can't deal with the controls of that game. I've tried so many times to get into that game and understand what people see in it, but i can't get past the controls. I'm not picky when it comes to games and have played several games that aren't very popular or liked, but I can't handle those damn controls in Gothic.

Keppo

Arbiter
Most overrated RPG not only in codex is Baldurs Gate 1. This game is shit in every way. And i know what im talking about, because im playing dis trash right fucking now.

* Planescape Torment (too much dialogue, yucky atmosphere)
* Fallout (I might like it if the criticals hadn't mostly ruined the fun.. I did finish it though)
Note: These're just my opinions. Nobody can speak for others and I don't claim to.

The only other game I've played on that list is Morrowind.

I'm in the process of playing Baldurs Gate 1, so would be able to issue an opinion in a week or two. I'm only in chapter 2 right now. My impression so far are ok, although some initial fights are unwinnable maybe. Also not fan of the stat/skill system. But it doesn't feel like the atrocity Planescape Torment was. There're few games which bored me so much.

I have Fallout 2 but haven't played yet.

Last edited:

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I can understand the dislike for Baldur's Gate 2 but I don't think I'll ever understand why people dislike Baldur's Gate. It's a pretty simple game that delivers exactly what it's supposed to, a D&D experience in a fantasy world. It's one of the few games where every level is important, especially when you're at a low level. You run away from everything at the start, a wolf, gibberling, a bandit with a bow is your worst nightmare and let's not even mention that ogre which can easily destroy an entire party if you're not prepared. It delivers simple and addictive combat with a very good difficulty curve, once you get a few levels and some decent gear you'll notice how creatures that used to be challenging are now easier, but there are even more challenging creatures to come. It also happens to have one of those 'perfect' expansions that just fit so well into the original game, a 'vacation' to this tropical island or a trip to a castle which is huge dungeon and have an interesting story around it, hell even the mage island is interesting from a combat point of view with high level (for Baldur's Gate) mages that can turn your party into mush.

It's like complaining that your microwave can't make a five star dinner on its own. When it comes to Baldur's Gate, what you see is what you're going to get. Throw in some imagination and you're up for a nice fantasy adventure.

Last edited:

imweasel

The median response seems to be a somewhat average game. I suppose a polished turd could be considered average.
So PoE is overrated.
13.gif

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yes well, a lot of them invested a fair bit of money into it and probably just don't want to face reality which is what results in a lot of the apologetic posts from them. Some on the other hand just have bad gameplay preferences in general.

Sjukob

Arcane
This topic gave me cancer an idea .
How about we create a new poll: "Most overrated users on codex" ? I am sure that it will be more fun .

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Thanks for reminding, forgot to vote for it. And blackguards, wtf. That's the most overrated one.
I don't think blackguards is that overrated, the sequel probably killed off the series for the foreseeable future. It's an average game that received average reception.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom