Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most embarrasing gaming moments?

pippin

Something similar happened to me with dodgy spanish translations. In some old games I remember that "save" was translated as "grabar". "Grabar" means "to record"; "guardar" is the proper word in this case, but I though that meant you could record your playthrough and keep it as a video, something like a Let's Play.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I felt embarrased when I couldn't value Betrayal at Krondor as much as many codexians.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Embarrassing: Playing some game that plays this epic symphony orchestra when your first level scrub is slapping around a pair of goblins.

kris

Arcane
I started playing EU1 as France. I conquered big parts of north Africa, then for many many years i had to station big armies there to fight the constant religious rebellions until i gave up and played as Sweden. it was then I discovered that there actually was something called "religious sliders"... Ohhh.

I also remember many moments before this thing called "auto-save" were I lost half days worth of playing due to a crash and me forgetting to save.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Ultima Underworld II : I spent a large portion of my first playthrough with badly worn equipment and my bags filled with equally worn replacements. I didn't put any points into Repair because I assumed that there would be a smith NPC that could be found fairly early on, as in UU 1. After about four different worlds of traipsing around with heavily burdened bags and having a tough time with some of the enemies due to blunted blades and battered breastplates, I started to panic. Cursing Julia the Tinkerer, who would teach me Repair but wouldn't offer to do any mending herself, I headed back to Castle Britannia to train the skill.

I seem to remember Skill Points being very tight during the mid-game, much more so than in the original, or at least that was the case for me anyway. By the time I had explored all worlds except the Void, and claimed most of the Blackrock Gems, I think I had managed to spare only about six points for Repair. I had to shamefully save-scum before mending any equipment, because at low skill levels there was a chance of destroying the item. It was at that point in the game that I retired to my quarters in the castle so that I could rummage through one of the bags that I kept there, which contained all books, notes, journals that I found - generally any potential clues; I must have been stuck on some puzzle. Inside the bag, amongst some of the very first items that I'd put in there (and sure enough, I later confirmed that I found this in the very first world) was a scrap of paper that I must have glanced at and stashed away without really registering what it was, and then promptly forgotten about. Written on it was, of course, the rune combination for the Repair spell.

SquidLord

Educated
I post on the RPG Codex.

I just finished Shadowrun Returns and I didn't know there were alternate fire modes or overwatch until the last level.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Written on it was, of course, the rune combination for the Repair spell.

Yeah, you get that in the first world you visit. That is the 'Shak' of UUW2. You may even have a scroll or two of the spell in your bags as well.

I do find it very strange that there isn't a Repair NPC in UUW2 when there was one in UUW1.

zool

Arcane
This reminds me of my playthrough of Half Life. I was the WSAD guy while my brother was aiming with the mouse. And we were really good, almost synchronized. We've beaten the whole game like that. That was a very unique experience.

Funny, we did exactly the same back then with a friend playing Halflife Uplink.

No Great Name

Arcane
I remember when I was a kid and a friend of mine picked up a fighting game for his PS1. Neither of us had played a fighting game before and neither of us read the manual either.

We ended up spending hours trying to figure out what the controls were and how to punch and kick. We both got pretty pissed and thought the game was ripping us off because the in-game move list kept on referring to P and K buttons and the controllers had neither of those.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I was once very excited for Dragon Age 2.

I should expand on this...

I was once so excited for Dragon Age II that when my college co-op program revealed they could line us up for an interview to work as an intern on the Dragon Age II team for DLC map work, I was incredibly excited.

Then the game came out.

On the other hand, considering the actual game's map design, what with using the same five maps for dungeons just moving around door blocking furniture around, it might have been real easy. Of course, I'm pretty sure the DLC was cancelled, whatever it was.

Mustawd

Got my first PS1 and when the disc skipped due to fingerprints I took it out of the PS1 and blew on it as if it was an SNES cartridge. Cuz what the hell else was I gonna do?

The Fish

Arcane
My brother had a character in Dark Age of Camelot with an enormous amount of money and I deleted it to make a new character... even though there were already empty character slots available. I don't know what was going through my head to be honest.

Mustawd

My brother had a character in Dark Age of Camelot with an enormous amount of money and I deleted it to make a new character... even though there were already empty character slots available. I don't know what was going through my head to be honest.

:negative:

As a former DAOC player, I feel your brother's pain.

Self-Ejected

Yuri Gagarin

Self-Ejected
Bought Neverwinter Nights the week it came out and finished it.

Before that, playing just console games (mostly SuperNES) and thinking that A Link to the Past was the best gaem evar... Thank God a couple of years later I got Wizardry 7 as a present.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Two wasted hours of my life taught me to turn up the brightness in darker games.
I started up Thief 2 on Expert, and was going around taffing as usual. I needed to get a certain amount of valuables aside from completing the main objectives, so I looked under every nook and cranny for anything shiny. One hour later, after completing all objectives and being only one jewel short of meeting my jewel quota, I keep looking all across the damn level for that one jewel. I looked fucking everywhere, I knocked out all the guards, I even found the goddamn supersecret optional earring hidden in a 8 pixel-wide wedge in a wall barely visible to the naked eye, but even that did not count as a jewel. After more fruitless endeavors, I concede and consult the walkthrough, replaying the level step by step so I can find every little detail.
And there it was. Right there on the fucking coffee table, in plain fucking sight. The last jewel, I somehow glossed over all the time.
After completing the mission I was so spent, I couldn't touch Thief 2 for several months.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom