Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most embarrasing gaming moments?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I recall another weird thing I did when I was a kid. I used to LARP flight sims (early 1990s DOS) with my brother

This reminds me of my playthrough of Half Life. I was the WSAD guy while my brother was aiming with the mouse. And we were really good, almost synchronized. We've beaten the whole game like that. That was a very unique experience.
Sounds like a concept for an indie co-op shooter that could get very popular among streamers. You just made someone rich.

DraQ

Arcane
I recall another weird thing I did when I was a kid. I used to LARP flight sims (early 1990s DOS) with my brother

This reminds me of my playthrough of Half Life. I was the WSAD guy while my brother was aiming with the mouse. And we were really good, almost synchronized. We've beaten the whole game like that. That was a very unique experience.
Sounds like a concept for an indie co-op shooter that could get very popular among streamers. You just made someone rich.
This way of playing all kinds of games seems to had been rather popular here in potato back then.

2 guys, 1 comp and all those cool SP games to play (no net) - what do?

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah, I also played most of Thief Gold with me controlling the keyboard and the other person the mouse.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, we were playing the shit out of "Need for Speed II se" on LAN with some friends. I dated a girl with very big and nice tits back then. I was leading the race, one of my friend then says "think of your girlfriend's tits !", I did and immediatlely crashed. My friend's car whooshed past me while he laughed like a maniac. Then again, those tits...:oops:

DraQ

Arcane
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, we were playing the shit out of "Need for Speed II se" on LAN with some friends. I dated a girl with very big and nice tits back then. I was leading the race, one of my friend then says "think of your girlfriend's tits !", I did and immediatlely crashed. My friend's car whooshed past me while he laughed like a maniac. Then again, those tits...:oops:
Tit for tat.
:M

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Getting discovered playing Pokemon at the age of 27 was the most embrasssing moment for me at the time, but now I do not give a shit any more, so long-term it would probably be pre-ordering Diablo 3. To this day I have no idea what I was thinking to do that.

Severian Silk

There was a guy I was in a guild with in Ultima Online. It was mostly a PvP-oriented guild called D*C on Atlantic. Anyway, every time we would kill a bunch of players, there was this one guy who would almost always go hidden so that he could be AFK for a while. Plenty of people go AFK a lot in MMOs, mostly smokers or folks with tiny bladders. But this guy only ever did it after we had made some kills. There was a definite pattern to it. So I asked him about it. And then he explained that he found that killing other players almost always gave him an erection. So he got in the habit of, uh, taking care of the problem. And he further explained that after the first few months he could no longer get an erection any other way. So he then felt obligated to always take advantage of that situation because he was worried that even the stimulus of player killing may one day lose its effect. I was like 13 at the time and this guy's problem really blew my mind. I couldn't even respond.

I always wonder what happened to that guy and his problem. I left the guild when Ultima Online started imposing stat loss penalties on murderers. Did he find another game? Does he continue to participate in Ultima Online's now-limited PvP to this day? Has he just given it all up and suffered from erectile dysfunction for the last 15 years?
OMG! You were on Atlantic?! That was ME!! Holy shit!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
:happytrollboy: RPG CODEX, The place where you can reunite with all the creepy people you've met online in the past

Delbaeth

Learned
I was playing Alien VS Predator 2 with friends in an Internet Cafe back then.
There was one of them who was known to be really afraid of Aliens and Predators (he played a Marine, obviously). And he also turned sound volume at maximum, playing with headphones.

So I played a Predator, used stealth, followed him (right behind him in silence, avoiding combat with others) few minutes. And when he stopped walking and shooting, thinking he was in a safe place, there was silence all around (I still was right behind him in game, and he didn't notice me), so I made my character yelling and took his marine's head with the predator's claw.

He literrally screamed out, jumping from his chair.
Everyone in the cafe (including other customers) was looking at him in silence. So the cafe's owner looked at us and said: "now get out, all of you!"

But... I still find that funny. :lol:

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I was about 15 when I played KotOR, thought it was the best shit ever however.... my families computer was complete and utter trash at the time. I played the whole game on about 10-15 fps. It was really really bad in some areas, like you would push 'W' for half a second, the screen would freeze and my pc would teleport 30 steps forward. Took a long time but I got through it.

Only other thing of note was buying into the original Fables hype train and telling all my friends about how amazing it was going to be, only for every single thing I shilled for turning out to be a lie.

Axe Father

Savant

Haha, me and a friend did the same for Tachyon: The Fringe when it came out. I'd be the pilot and he'd control all the weapons systems. Don't recall if we beat the game or not.

As an autistic as fuck OCD ridden little mongchild, I LARPed the fuck outta RTS games would try to build bases that looked cool and functional. I'd get duplicate copies of buildings you only need one of, put everything in city-like grids, and I'd get too attached to my units so I'd keep them in my base and basically just fuck about. That all ended when I decided to play Red Alert 2 online. The things that left the data encrusted text-lips of my flustered teammates instantly vaporized my innocent child form and turned me into the functional member of adult society I am today.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Selling my glorious Amiga and buying a crap PC as a replacement as the number of Amiga games released began to decline. This was before Windows 95, so I had DOS with all its memory management joys and Windows 3.1 perched on top like some kind of toy window manager.

I bought a second hand Amiga 500 a year or so later for virtually nothing when all the rest of the Amiga owners started to abandon the sinking Commodore ship.

Edit: I blame my parents, who thought I should have a proper computer for when I started university.

Turrul

Augur
Trying to play Fallout 2 with no english, as a 7 years old kid.

When I passed the Temple (Which took a loong time ofc) I simply random talked with every npc and couldn't find anything to do since I didn't know that there was an exit-grid at the bottom in Arroyo. I almost thought that I finally got what this game was about when you save that Dog from the Hunting Grounds: Repeatedly re-entering the hunting grounds map and saving dogs from the same place again and again since I had this weird bug that duplicated the dog in wilderness map after you rescued it once already.

Imagine my confusion when I couldn't find any dog on my third entrance in the wilderness.

This was pretty much the best gaming activity you could do with your brother back then, way more fun than almost every co-op game. We used to do this in online CS servers (once, we actually got managed to get blamed with wallhack and banned.)

Radech

Augur
^or with the dumbass who shows up at a lan without a computer - did it in dota 2 recently with the instant cast abilities options on to somewhat mitigate the coordination issues that arrive when two stoned guys share a computer, with only a touchpad... we won though

Most embarrasing moment would probably be creating a charisma based maincharacter in fallout tactics(cause speech op!), and then press tough guy, cause yeah my char's tough! - made it to the first robot mission, after countless restarts through the supermutant levels(finally clearing it, only to figure out you've squandered all you precious 50. cal by doing realtime truck driving...)

Severian Silk

I played Quake on a 486DX. Gameplay was choppy to say the least.

laclongquan

Arcane
Charisma does have some use in FT, mostly in getting higher ranks faster so can hire better guys earlier. Your MC is basically dump characters, with the hired troops carry him/her to victory. Although poping a Mentats before talking with the HR guy each time serve same function, albeit more expensive. It's hardest at 1st mission, but easier in later ones.

Renevent

Cipher
So, disregarding instance when you were too young to know any better, have you ever completely misunderstood a game, or not even got past the copy protection?

For me two instances stand out:

1. Not being able to play Leisure Suit Larry due to failing the prove-you-are-over-18-questions. My gaming buddy and I were 18-20 at the time, but being hopeless nerds not experienced in the ways of the world, we failed horribly.

2. Ultima 5. I thought the whole game was in the same scale as the first village (or just a hut IIRC), and back then I was an even more compulsive mapper that I am now. I mapped the entire Ultima IV, for example (I still have those maps, actually). For some reason I thought a new game, set in the same land, would have a more detailed map, which was "confirmed" by the first area.
Just as well, maybe, since the Amiga version of U5 was not very good, from what I've read.

That's hilarious...I remember taking the quiz around 12 and passing it with about a 50% pass rate. That quiz was hilarious. I still use the phrase "a lady with negotiable virtue" to this day lol.

As for my personal embarrassing game experiences...nothing really...well maybe anytime any other adult comes over and sees me playing something like Wasteland/Divinity/ToEE/etc. No other adults I know really play games period, and the ones that do, just play whatever the popular AAA game out on consoles like Call of Duty.

When they see what's up on the PC monitor they're like "what in the fuck are you playing?" I don't even bother explaining heh.

Anyways, for bonus points here's all the questions/answers for the quiz:

http://www.allowe.com/games/larry/tips-manuals/lsl1-age-quiz.html

Good stuff :dance:

Last edited:

canakin

Cipher
My first Fallout character had the traits Bloody Mess and Skilled and the skills Outdoorsman, Gambling and Traps tagged. I'm pretty sure I went full retard on stats too, too bad I can't remember how exactly though.

Edit: Oh, and I also never beaten a FPS without god mode cheats before COD like design became the norm in the genre and all of them started having built-in god mode mechanics like regenarating hp. I am the shittiest fps player in the world and for some reason I love playing them.

Edit 2: Also I keep ranting about how Fallout 4 is a piece of shit and a badly designed game both online and to my friends without actually playing it or even watching a gameplay video. I think I should stop thinking about this thread now or it will become apparent that my whole "gaming career" is a source of endless embarrassment.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
My first Fallout character had Good Natured and Skilled, and my tagged skills were Big Guns, Speech and...Barter IIRC.

I beat the game with that character, which just shows (some of) the brilliance of Fallout 1's design.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
1. Not being able to play Leisure Suit Larry due to failing the prove-you-are-over-18-questions. My gaming buddy and I were 18-20 at the time, but being hopeless nerds not experienced in the ways of the world, we failed horribly.

That's hilarious...I remember taking the quiz around 12 and passing it with about a 50% pass rate. That quiz was hilarious. I still use the phrase "a lady with negotiable virtue" to this day lol.

Anyways, for bonus points here's all the questions/answers for the quiz:

http://www.allowe.com/games/larry/tips-manuals/lsl1-age-quiz.html

Good stuff :dance:

I see now why we failed. The quetions are very centered around American things.

Starwars

Arcane
I can't remember if it was Larry or some other adult type game that also had a similar age protection. But I remember me and my mates trying to crack that open. It was kinda fucked up since there was a question on baseball or some bullshit in there, which was not really easy for some dudes from Sweden regardless of age.
:patriot:

Anyways, not sure about the most embarassing moment... I guess Oblivion maybe. I bought into the hype big time and enjoyed the game pretty much through the pretty graphics at the time. The relevation that that game was fucking *hollow* took a really long time to settle in for me. That's kinda embarassing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom