Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind vs Skyrim objectively

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Once you spend a few days reading the wkii style shit in Morrowind, which I admit can be tedious, you eventually learn to scan for keywords.

A few weeks and you don't even notice anything except what's relevant.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I know that TES games (And all that comes from Bethesda) is not well received here, but i really like these games. Morrowind is better RPG than Skyrim, its more complex as role game. But Skyrim presents a more detailed world that Cyrodiil or Vvardenfell (Even being more smaller). Combat system is better in Skyrim, no more stupid "missing hits", but it needs to improved. Quest are entertaining in both, but the dialogues are simply in Skyrim (In every Bethesda game since Oblivion, conversation are limited with stupid pauses). Archery and Stealth is better in Skyrim. Guilds are more complex in Morrowind. And main quest... well, are correct. Are those simplistic stories to put you in an "epic" adventure.

What was the first cRPG you played? Knights of the Old Republic?

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
This thread is a good example of why you can't force people to not be biased by nostalgia

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It's not that Skyrim has boring quests, though it does.

It's that there's no sense of progression. Like a neverending Disney ride.

Crevice tab

Savant
Oh god, Skyrim is worse than Oblivion.

Not quite. The Skyrim Thieves Guild quests are seriously retarded but the rest of the game isn't quite as bad. Overall I'd place Skyrim very slightly ahead of Oblivion in the quest department when all the things are said and done: the Daedric and some of the misc quest are pretty good in Skyrim. People will rightfully bitch about having shorter questlines for the main factions when compared to Oblivion but a good bit of Oblivion's faction questlines were filled with boring filler except for the Arena questline which was 90% boring filler and 10% retardation.

There's plenty of bad art in the world. At least TES has great soundtracks and landscapes.

Hello!
Questlines! Which game had those written better?
Never played Morrowind or Skyrim that much but Morrowind side quest looked a lot better. Can't comment on the main quests since I've never got that far in Morrowind but it seems like people prefer Morrowind's main quest more.

Morrowind without a doubt. Most quests aren't exactly riveting but there are a few that are and all of them avoid getting utterly retarded like Oblivion and Skyrim quests often do and they actually connect with the world and each other instead of having all sorts of bullshit rails, handholding and general stupidity that is characteristic of Oblivion and to a lesser extend Skyrim. Also Morrowind has more faction quests than Oblivion and Skyrim combined.

Turrul

Augur
Once you spend a few days reading the wkii style shit in Morrowind, which I admit can be tedious, you eventually learn to scan for keywords.

A few weeks and you don't even notice anything except what's relevant.

I hope so, because I still think of trying Morrowind again, when I have enough time. Hell, I'm still spoiler-free about main quest.

Xenich

Cipher
Combat system is better in Skyrim, no more stupid "missing hits", but it needs to improved.

It depends on what you are after as to whether that concept of play is "stupid" or not. If your desire is an arcade action game where success and failure is determined by the reflex skills of the player, then... well obviously a stat system/roll system where there can exist a failure due to character development would be less than ideal. Though... if your purpose of play is that of character development and its choices being the deciding factor within play, well... it only makes sense that you would miss hitting something if your skill is low or due to an extremely poor roll.

My biggest problem with the progression of the series is that they moved away from making RPGs seeking the action arcade crowd and that they sought "entertainment" over game concepts.

So naturally Skyrim is an inferior RPG, but a superior action game to the previous titles.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

No, it was Fallout.

Are you sure you don't just anally pleasure yourself thinking about vikings? Because that's not the same as "detailed world".

No.

That's a pretty unusual statement, unless you mean graphical detail (and some people would still disagree there). What do you mean by "detail" in this case?

I'm referring the physical land of the game. It feels more handcrafted that any other TES land. In Morrowind it was nice, but is repetitive. In Cyrodiil there's the sensation of "Copy/paste", the land its very similar. Some forts are identical and de landscape is poor varied. Skyrim land feels more elaborate, handcrafted, an there is a lot of variety. There's snow , a great plain at the middle, rocky area at the west, a marsh land, a normal forest and an autumn forest near Riften. For me, it's the best world that Bethesda created in any game.

All of this considering that Skyrim lands are the smallest in TES saga.

Xenich

Cipher

No, it was Fallout.

Are you sure you don't just anally pleasure yourself thinking about vikings? Because that's not the same as "detailed world".

No.

That's a pretty unusual statement, unless you mean graphical detail (and some people would still disagree there). What do you mean by "detail" in this case?

I'm referring the physical land of the game. It feels more handcrafted that any other TES land. In Morrowind it was nice, but is repetitive. In Cyrodiil there's the sensation of "Copy/paste", the land its very similar. Some forts are identical and de landscape is poor varied. Skyrim land feels more elaborate, handcrafted, an there is a lot of variety. There's snow , a great plain at the middle, rocky area at the west, a marsh land, a normal forest and an autumn forest near Riften. For me, it's the best world that Bethesda created in any game.

A lot of that is subjective. I felt that Morrowinds world to be far more engrossing and original. Skyrim is beautiful and with mods it gets ridiculous how detailed and life like you can make it, but... graphics whoring aside, it isn't really anything special.

The systems are what differentiates the games in my opinion and those systems were narrowed and streamlined through each iteration of the releases until the result became an action/arcade game with pretty scenery and naked models. /shrug

Crevice tab

Savant

Nitpicking time!

Skyrim's lands aren't the smallest- Morrowind's are. Also I have to very strongly disagree on the Morrowind is repetitive bit. Other than that Skyrim has superbly crafted, highly varied landscape.

Turrul

Augur

Morrowind had snow (As far as I know), green pasturelands, marshes, small islands and deserts with sandstorms too.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Objectively Morrowind has better lore, quests, factions, better as sandbox exploration game cause word is not another Medieval England nor Norskia, is RPG while Skyrim has some nice animations, mods including pimp looking armors, weapons and horse fighting and thus more fun arcade like melee combat, Moar Jeremy Soule Music and more unique landscapes... perks system was nice too; its really decent sandbox hiking simulator/arcade game with 15 gigs of mods.... and OP is faggot totally objectively of course.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
its really decent sandbox hiking simulator/arcade game with 15 gigs of mods....

This is like saying a Ford built car is excellent once you replace all the parts with Honda/Toyota parts.

EDIT:

Only snow in Morrowind is Northern Soltheim from Bloodmoon which is totaly standalone expansion unlike Tribunal; and to be honest Soltheim from Dragon Born looked better.

Elder Scrolls: Dragonborn, Return of the Draugr. Tentacles included!

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Morrowind had snow (As far as I know), green pasturelands, marshes, small islands and deserts with sandstorms too.

Only snow in Morrowind is Northern Soltheim from Bloodmoon which is totaly standalone expansion unlike Tribunal; and to be honest Soltheim from Dragon Born looked better.

Weren't you supposed to grab some scroll or book from the mages at some point for the Thieves Guild in Oblivion but if you were part the Mages guild you could just simply grab it thus ignoring the entire stealth in the mission?

Makes sense, at least. A member wouldn't have to sneak around the members only area to snatch something members have access to.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
In Skyrim, we have 8 visually distinct regions.

We have:

The green forest of Falkreath
The autumn forest of the Rift
The yellow tundra of Whiterun
The ruggy mountaineous region of the Reach
The hot springs of Eastmarch
The marsh of Hlaalmarch
The snow-covered fields and forests of Winterhold and the Pale
The glacier and iceberg-filled waters in the north of Winterhold and the Pale

(There's also the snow-free northern coastline of Haafingar, but other than that, it doesn't differ from the Pale that much.)

Even if you combine the glacier with the snowy fields (Haafingar+The Pale+Winterhold), you still have more visually distinct regions than Morrowind. And what's better, no region takes up half the map. The map is instead divided more evenly between the different enviroments.

800px-SR-place-Morthal.jpg

800px-SR-place-Falkreath.jpg

799px-SR-place-Dawnstar.jpg

799px-SR-place-Rorikstead.jpg

800px-SR-place-Riverwood.jpg

800px-SR-place-Shor%27s_Stone.jpg

800px-SR-place-Karthwasten.jpg

dryan

Arcane
Morrowind is objectively better than Skyrim in every aspect (including combat) except for graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom