Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind vs Skyrim objectively

Sykar

Arcane
I think in Skyrim easy way of gaining absolute power in all skills is the most important issue. I hope that someday we will have some kind of "short-lasting proficiency" in RPGs: if you use any skills rarely they must be lowered to some "middle" value. So you hardly can be allaround superhero of alltimes - you should practice regularly to keep in good shape.

Yeah, I would like to see 1) a large increase of skills that have differences in selection and use. 2) a limited means to obtain skills (ie you can't master them all, you WILL have to pick and choose as you develop).

Do that, with no fucking respec shit in game, make them cheat if they want that (seriously fucktards, learn how to plan or maybe an atrophy system similar to UO might be workable) and multiple avenues, but a weight of consequences on the choices made. I am sick of games where every option has to be a winner and every choice has to be rewarded equally. If people can't accept that, they just want to be entertained through mind numbing actions and if that is the case.... there are numerous fucktard mobile games ----> that way.

How about having the total amount of accumulated skill points reduce the rate at which new ones are gained? So that the last skill you master takes 10 times as long as the first.

The solution is imho much simpler for the original Bethesda system:

Only Major skills can reach 100
Minor skills 75
Rest 50

Crevice tab

Savant
The solution is imho much simpler for the original Bethesda system:

Only Major skills can reach 100
Minor skills 75
Rest 50

I actually like the more flexible/organic approach on gaining skills/specializing in other stuff so my solution would be to slow down progression in a skill as you get closer to the 100 limit and institute a max total limit (let's say 1000) of skill points.

That way you can still have a flexible build while having proper C&C and you also have to put a real effort into becoming a capital M Master in any field.

BTB did something interesting with his mod for Morrowind...Misc skills don't raise with use, and if you want them to go up you'll have to pay for training all the way. With just that, money and skill selection is suddenly a lot more important.

madrigal

Augur
Morrowind: Actually pay fucking attention to the game.

Pay attention and realise, 'hey I can sell things to shops for more than I paid for them', so money is worthless, realise that I can buy levels so the whole level up system is pointless, pay attention to alchemy and realise that potions stack, so combat, stats and all challenge is irrelevant, but then realise it doesn't matter because combat is shit anyway and I can spend all my time being a LARPing faggot and just read the in game books, because in a good RPG the game part is not important.

Sykar

Arcane
Morrowind: Actually pay fucking attention to the game.

Pay attention and realise, 'hey I can sell things to shops for more than I paid for them', so money is worthless, realise that I can buy levels so the whole level up system is pointless, pay attention to alchemy and realise that potions stack, so combat, stats and all challenge is irrelevant, but then realise it doesn't matter because combat is shit anyway and I can spend all my time being a LARPing faggot and just read the in game books, because in a good RPG the game part is not important.

Yeah, abuse every little thing, like a 5 year old in a candy store without supervision. Ruin your own game as much as you can, scream then to everybody else and the developers how shit the game is because you have not an ounce of self control. I bet you are one of the "geniuses" who sold everything to the fucking easter egg merchants cuz reasons.:0/5:

Gets even better considering that the barter behaviour you describe happened only at high levels of the barter skill so it was not even a universal problem.

Nothing what you describe really helps solve the main quest or any of the side quests since you know, you actually have to pay fucking attention what NPCs tell you so you know what to do, unlike Obliviturd and Skyrim where you just ignore everything and stare at your shiny compass needle.

Last edited:

madrigal

Augur
Yeah, abuse every little thing, like a 5 year old in a candy store without supervision. Ruin your own game as much as you can, scream then to everybody else and the developers how shit the game is because you have not an ounce of self control. I bet you are one of the "geniuses" who sold everything to the fucking easter egg merchants cuz reasons.:0/5:

Gets even better considering that the barter behaviour you describe happened only at high levels of the barter skill so it was not even a universal problem.

Nothing what you describe really helps solve the main quest or any of the side quests since you know, you actually have to pay fucking attention what NPCs tell you so you know what to do, unlike Obliviturd and Skyrim where you just ignore everything and stare at your shiny compass needle.

So combat is broken, alchemy is broken, spell casting is broken, commerce is broken, enchanting is broken, but if anyone complains the game is not challenging it is their fault for not pretending the game is hard and placing stupid restrictions on themselves. Of course if you just like making the game up in your own head then I'm sure morrowind might be an awesome game, though I am not sure bethesda deserves credit for how good a game plays in someone's mind.

You are completely wrong about the barter system as it doesn't require a high mercantile skill as it can be exploited with an average skill, pretty much from the beginning of the game. But you probably think that it is stupid to try to make money by selling stuff, because role playing as a trader is not a valid choice, it is much better to decorate your house with things you find rather than selling them.

Sykar

Arcane

So combat is broken, alchemy is broken, spell casting is broken, commerce is broken, enchanting is broken, but if anyone complains the game is not challenging it is their fault for not pretending the game is hard and placing stupid restrictions on themselves. Of course if you just like making the game up in your own head then I'm sure morrowind might be an awesome game, though I am not sure bethesda deserves credit for how good a game plays in someone's mind.

You are completely wrong about the barter system as it doesn't require a high mercantile skill as it can be exploited with an average skill, pretty much from the beginning of the game. But you probably think that it is stupid to try to make money by selling stuff, because role playing as a trader is not a valid choice, it is much better to decorate your house with things you find rather than selling them.

The stuff isn't broken unless you actively pursue it, I never had any of these problems in my first playthrough and when I discovered them later I just didn't use them, easy, they are not inherently broken, you actually have to put some effort into it. Melee Combat is bad but that's it. For combat to be broken you have to abuse the Chamaelon amulet. Alchemy isn't broken unless you exploit the intelligence.
Yeah man, so hard to restrict yourself from NOT FUCKING EXPLOITING. Man that is so fucking hard, can't imagine how these others do not selling their shit to the Mudcrab merchant, I feel the retardation compulsion so I have to go there whenever I can make 10k bucks with the stuff I can find.

I had barter around 30 late on my character who had it as a minor skill and still could not sell for higher price than I could buy so whatever. Never cared about barter one bit, I only bought stuff I needed and sold stuff I found, done. No problem avoiding to exploit the shit out of the game. Same with the retarded complaint about leveling up with the multiplicators. Never did that and was still powerful enough to stomp almost everything on my mage at level 38 so whatever. "Just" Int and WP at 100 was more than enough.
No I do not think it is stupid to sell stuff to make money, I think it is retarded to ruin your own game by actively seeking all potential exploits. You are probably one of those who stood like morons for hours somewhere safe and casted 1 mana spells to increase their magic skills. /golfclap

madrigal

Augur
When selling stuff it makes sense to try to get the best price possible, what kind of idiot thinks that this behaviour is actively seeking exploits?

When you are playing an RPG and you are not a LARPing faggot you try to make your character more powerful, this is not actively seeking exploits. Good luck to you if you are someone who doesn't care about the core systems in a game and just like pretending.

Crevice tab

Savant
When selling stuff it makes sense to try to get the best price possible, what kind of idiot thinks that this behaviour is actively seeking exploits?

When you are playing an RPG and you are not a LARPing faggot you try to make your character more powerful, this is not actively seeking exploits. Good luck to you if you are someone who doesn't care about the core systems in a game and just like pretending.

Selling to Creeper or the Mudcrab merchant- both Easter Egg/cheat NPCs is most certainly exploiting beyond and above the call of normal RPG progression. The alchemy loop is a clear bug but that's the sort of easily overlooked mistake that happens in pretty much every big RPG game- I don't remember any complex RPG without exploitable bugs being released in the past two decades.

Maybe the mudcrab merchant is easily identified as an easter egg as he's in the middle of nowhere, but Creeper is sitting in the middle of a town near the beginning of the game. There's no reason to assume it's "unfair" to sell stuff to him (he offers good prices? Nice!)

Crevice tab

Savant
Maybe the mudcrab merchant is easily identified as an easter egg as he's in the middle of nowhere, but Creeper is sitting in the middle of a town near the beginning of the game. There's no reason to assume it's "unfair" to sell stuff to him (he offers good prices? Nice!)

He's a fucking scamp.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

He's a fucking scamp.

And you're a fucking bigot for hating on someone that just wants to bang on his drums. Go kill yourself you pathetic n'wah scum.

Crevice tab

Savant

Sykar

Arcane

Bullshit. The Creeper sits in a house in Caldera, which is quite a few hours into the game if you play "normally" and don't metagame the shit out of Morrowind.
But even if I'd grant you that it's available "early", that still has nothing to do with the fact that he is obviously an easter egg and easily ignorable unless you are a retarded 5 year old who can't say no to even the derpiest shit.

Sykar

Arcane
Caldera is a stone's throw from Pelagiad. It's quite possible to arrive there by mistake if you were going to Balmora and took a wrong turn.

You clearly know very little about Elder Scrolls lore.

I suppose Caldera's citizens also know little about it, then. :M

Sure, if you are illiterate and cannot read fucking signs...

Well, when Morrowind breaks in half it's either the game's fault or mine. And since one page ago you were saying I was a retarded five year old kid if I use this merchant available near the beginning of the game...

Crevice tab

Savant
Well, when Morrowind breaks in half it's either the game's fault or mine. And since one page ago you were saying I was a retarded five year old kid if I use this merchant available near the beginning of the game...

Morrowind has a lot of balance issues- none of them are related to the obviously Easter Egg merchants.

Sykar

Arcane

If you cannot comprehend that a merchant who can give you 5k daily and buys any crap and is a god damn demon is not an easter egg, then yeah, might say something about your faculties up there.

Furthermore, to actually break the game you had to to put some effort into it, it doesn't just happen by accident normally and if an accident happen and you continue to exploit it, then yes, it is your fault for not being able to resist to go derp mode and ruin your game experience because guess what, game developers do not balance around people who deliberately sabotage their experience.
If I'd be a developer at Bethesda and people like you came howling to my forums because game becomes to easy when you use every god damn exploit, I'd at best laugh at your stupidity, but most likely would really not give a fucking damn. There is plenty of stuff you have to use your limited resources on to improve your game, closing potential exploits is fine and dandy, but any sane developer should put that on the far end of their priority list.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If you cannot comprehend that a merchant who can give you 5k daily and buys any crap and is a god damn demon is not an easter egg, then yeah, might say something about your faculties up there.

Wait, who's making the strawman now?

You just set off my troll detector.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom