Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind Redeemed by Mods?

Xi

Arcane
I've installed most of Darkflame's list including full texture replacing mods for environment/faces and this thing feels totally different! I've noticed the subtle changes to dialogue(including some from Caius on the MQ) and there's just a lot more going on. Surprisingly I've not had any issues other then it took me a while to figure out that I needed MWSE and Morrowind Enhanced to be running in the background for the game to load properly. After that I'm actually impressed with the performance.

There's brokers, hireable allies/companions, wandering NPCs/Caravans, Loan Sharks, thousands of new items(with models and graphics), complete difficulty overhauls, new birthsigns, new Main Quests, etc.. It's definitely a new game at this point.

So if you can be bothered to put a couple hours into to modding Morrowind you can definitely get something that is far beyond the original.

/shrug

Here's my current mod list, all of them downloaded form Planetelderscrolls.com

GameFile0=Assassins Armory.esm
GameFile1=Bloodmoon Landscape Overhaul 1.0.esm
GameFile2=Bloodmoon.esm
GameFile3=Book Rotate.esm
GameFile4=Havish.esm
GameFile5=Morrowind Comes Alive.esm
GameFile6=Morrowind.esm
GameFile7=Texture Fix - Bloodmoon 1.1.esm
GameFile8=Texture Fix 1.8.esm
GameFile9=Tribunal.esm
GameFile10=A Call to Issilar.esp
GameFile11=Annastia V3.3.esp
GameFile12=AreaEffectArrows.esp
GameFile13=AscadianPalms1.1.esp
GameFile14=ASE Bloodmoon Expansion.esp
GameFile15=ASE Tribunal Expansion.esp
GameFile16=Ashlander Traders.esp
GameFile17=Assassins Armory - Arrows.esp
GameFile18=Assassins Armory - Bolt Rifles.esp
GameFile19=Assassins Armory - No Scripts.esp
GameFile20=Better Bodies.esp
GameFile21=Birdies by Cait and Leeloo.esp
GameFile22=Birthsigns.esp
GameFile23=Blasphemous Revenants.esp
GameFile24=BM-Fixes.esp
GameFile25=Book Rotate - Bloodmoon v5.3.esp
GameFile26=Book Rotate - Morrowind v1.1.esp
GameFile27=Book Rotate - Tribunal v5.3.esp
GameFile28=Booty.esp
GameFile29=Cait's Squirrels.esp
GameFile30=Changing Faces Replacer.esp
GameFile31=Chargen At night.esp
GameFile32=Clean The Mortal Life of Vivec.esp
GameFile33=Creature Pack 1.1.esp
GameFile34=Daedra Summoning Enhanced V. 1.1.esp
GameFile35=DagonFel_Well.esp
GameFile36=Distant Land Weather Fix.esp
GameFile37=dxm_metallic_signs.esp
GameFile38=EBJ_spell_organizer.esp
GameFile39=Enhanced_Stealth.esp
GameFile40=farrp_WeaponCompilationMod_V1.esp
GameFile41=Flee AI Tweaks.esp
GameFile42=Forested Morrowind.esp
GameFile43=HardcoreFactions.esp
GameFile44=Healers.esp
GameFile45=height rebalancing.esp
GameFile46=Illegal Dwemer Trading MW-TR.esp
GameFile47=Illuminated Order v1.0 - Bloodmoon Compatibility Extras.esp
GameFile48=Illuminated Order v1.0.esp
GameFile49=Illuminated Windows - Bloodmoon.esp
GameFile50=Illuminated Windows.esp
GameFile51=Immunity to Normal Weaponry.esp
GameFile52=indybank.esp
GameFile53=Juniper's Twin Lamps (1.1 Tribunal).esp
GameFile54=Leafy Morrowind.esp
GameFile55=LGNPC_Secret_Masters_v1_1.esp
GameFile56=LGNPC_Vivec_Redoran_v1_3.esp
GameFile57=master_index.esp
GameFile58=Morrowind Comes Alive Guards Patch.esp
GameFile59=Morrowind Comes Alive NOM Patch.esp
GameFile60=Morrowind Comes Alive Recruitable NPCs.esp
GameFile61=MWE_Base.esp
GameFile62=MW_CultOfTheClouds_v10.esp
GameFile63=Nolore_Fixes.esp
GameFile64=Oblivion_and_LGNPC_Books.esp
GameFile65=PW_Cait_Moose.esp
GameFile66=Sris_Alchemy_BM.esp
GameFile67=TargetSpellSpeedMod.esp
GameFile68=Tejón's Gold Weight.esp
GameFile69=The regulars - Sitting NPC's v2.02.esp
GameFile70=The Shrine of Mephala by Westly.esp
GameFile71=TLM - Complete.esp
GameFile72=TravelingMerchants-1.2_BETA.esp
GameFile73=t_lostheir.esp
GameFile74=Unofficial_Expansion_for_Louis'_BeautyShop.esp
GameFile75=Vivec Expansion 2.0.esp
GameFile76=Weather Effects.esp
GameFile77=Westly's Breton Male Headpack.esp
GameFile78=Westly's Dark Elf Male Headpack.esp
GameFile79=Westly's Female Head Pack-Humans.esp
GameFile80=Westly's Female Headpack - Elves and Orcs.esp
GameFile81=Westly's High Elf Male Headpack.esp
GameFile82=Westly's Nord Male Headpack.esp
GameFile83=Westly's Orc Male Headpack.esp
GameFile84=Westly's Redguard Male Headpack (Weight Fix).esp
GameFile85=Westly's Redguard Male Headpack.esp
GameFile86=Westly's Wood Elf Male Headpack.esp
GameFile87=Westly's Young Male Mystic Headpack.esp
GameFile88=Windows Glow.esp

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Piublic service announcement: People using my travbeling merchants mod should get the updated version by Cyran0.

Darkflame

Scholar
Xi - you don't need to use both Leafy and Forrested Morrowind, as both of them are different versions of the same mod. Leafy is an earlier version that only covers a few regions with trees, while Forrested expands on that and covers everything.

So in this case whichever loads last will take precedent. Either way you'll see trees, and it won't cause anything bad to happen so I wouldn't remove one of them unless you start a new game - Morrowind doesn't really take kindly to adding/removing mods mid-game.

EDIT - and as GhanBuriGhan said - there is a newer version of Travelling Merchants (2.2). Also it doesn't look like you are using merged levelled lists... to experience everything in that modlist you probably should...

Download TESTool: http://www34.brinkster.com/ghostwheel/TESTool.zip
Unzip it and open the program. Whatever you do, NEVER click "Just fix it" - it ends up cutting up your mods. Instead, here's what you want to do:

-Highlight "Merge Levelled Lists for Active Plugins"
-Click "Execute"

Now you want to download this Resequencer and run it. Just an .exe file, unzip it and place in your DataFiles folder, and run it. It will tell you when it is done.
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=2726

When that is done, go back to TEStool:
-Highlight "Manage active plugins"
-Click "Execute"
Note: This is where you can reorder your plugins. To minimize any conflicts, I typically load tweak-mods last.
-Put a check next to "Merged_Levelled_Lists.esp" and click "Update Time". This will move it last in your list.

Now sometimes you will need a mod to load after your Merged_Levelled_Lists.esp in order for it to work properly. The ones I have come across are:
Horationpcenhanced.esp (Horatio's NPC Enhanced)
MCAGuardPatch.esp
and ALL the Blood and Gore .esps

and that's all.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

hmm i d love to give morrowind another try with mods, but seeing i have a localized german (GOTY) version (and from all i read that fucks up many mods unless there s german versions of them available) i guess it will be more difficult if possible at all.

any help from a german codex poster with morrowind mod experience would be appreciated ;) the list above looks good enough, i got better bodies/better heads to run and galsiahs char development as well... but especially the "graphical improvements" fuck the game up totally. MGE for instance always crashes unless i use the "default" options in which the game looks like w/o MGE.[/b]

Mr.Rocco

Novice
The Mod list is helpful, thanks.
My own question is though, since I never bother to play MW, should I play the clean game first then try with mods? I've heard that vanilla MW sucks donkey's ass, so should I play MW with all the mods added?

so I wouldn't remove one of them unless you start a new game - Morrowind doesn't really take kindly to adding/removing mods mid-game.

Wimp. One of my savegames, Old Rusty, is four years old, has seen roughly 800 mods in its time, crashes whenever it smells a complex script, runs at around 10fps everywhere and bears roughly seven clones of absolutely everything in Balmora. And I like it.

Mayday

Augur
eh... doesn't Wrye's tool allow for merging mods? Should help you with the clone problem (alternatively, just nuke the place).

NiM82

Prophet
Mr.Rocco said:
My own question is though, since I never bother to play MW, should I play the clean game first then try with mods? I've heard that vanilla MW sucks donkey's ass, so should I play MW with all the mods added?

I'd mod it first, you really aren't missing anything.

no

Novice
Might be outdated by now, but when I went through my one and only Morrowind game years ago I found all of the mods on this site to provide a nice set of gameplay tweaks & extra content with no gimmicky bullshit.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Mr.Rocco said:
I see little reason to play without mods first, unless you want to appreaciate what the mods actually do. A lot of mods for MW are small content additions, gameplay tweaks, etc., so you don't miss anything form the original, you just get a different and better experience.

i tried it with mods, but no matter how many i install, the game still stays pure boredom. what this game needs is a little bit more horror, the feeling to fight for your survival, a lil bit more action, some drugs, a little bit naked skin here and there, a better third person view and maybe some guns you know, liek i dont know, some big ass rocket launcher, which shoots some fucking nuke out of it. unfortunately, nobody has the resources to create a big mod like this. nobody.

Xi

Arcane
GhanBuriGhan said:
Piublic service announcement: People using my travbeling merchants mod should get the updated version by Cyran0.

Thank's for the heads up, I figured this might be the case as I remembered testing this mod a few years back. Got v2.2 now. Thanks! ;P

Darkflame said:
Xi - you don't need to use both Leafy and Forrested Morrowind, as both of them are different versions of the same mod. Leafy is an earlier version that only covers a few regions with trees, while Forrested expands on that and covers everything.

So in this case whichever loads last will take precedent. Either way you'll see trees, and it won't cause anything bad to happen so I wouldn't remove one of them unless you start a new game - Morrowind doesn't really take kindly to adding/removing mods mid-game.

EDIT - and as GhanBuriGhan said - there is a newer version of Travelling Merchants (2.2). Also it doesn't look like you are using merged levelled lists... to experience everything in that modlist you probably should...

Download TESTool: http://www34.brinkster.com/ghostwheel/TESTool.zip
Unzip it and open the program. Whatever you do, NEVER click "Just fix it" - it ends up cutting up your mods. Instead, here's what you want to do:

-Highlight "Merge Levelled Lists for Active Plugins"
-Click "Execute"

Now you want to download this Resequencer and run it. Just an .exe file, unzip it and place in your DataFiles folder, and run it. It will tell you when it is done.
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=2726

When that is done, go back to TEStool:
-Highlight "Manage active plugins"
-Click "Execute"
Note: This is where you can reorder your plugins. To minimize any conflicts, I typically load tweak-mods last.
-Put a check next to "Merged_Levelled_Lists.esp" and click "Update Time". This will move it last in your list.

Now sometimes you will need a mod to load after your Merged_Levelled_Lists.esp in order for it to work properly. The ones I have come across are:
Horationpcenhanced.esp (Horatio's NPC Enhanced)
MCAGuardPatch.esp
and ALL the Blood and Gore .esps

and that's all.

I have done both now and am going to start a new game to get everything running smoothly.

Current list after resequencing/merging lists:
GameFile0=Assassins Armory.esm
GameFile1=Bloodmoon Landscape Overhaul 1.0.esm
GameFile2=Bloodmoon.esm
GameFile3=Book Rotate.esm
GameFile4=Havish.esm
GameFile5=Morrowind Comes Alive.esm
GameFile6=Morrowind.esm
GameFile7=Texture Fix - Bloodmoon 1.1.esm
GameFile8=Texture Fix 1.8.esm
GameFile9=Tribunal.esm
GameFile10=A Call to Issilar.esp
GameFile11=Annastia V3.3.esp
GameFile12=AreaEffectArrows.esp
GameFile13=AscadianPalms1.1.esp
GameFile14=ASE Bloodmoon Expansion.esp
GameFile15=ASE Tribunal Expansion.esp
GameFile16=Ashlander Traders.esp
GameFile17=Assassins Armory - Arrows.esp
GameFile18=Assassins Armory - Bolt Rifles.esp
GameFile19=Assassins Armory - No Scripts.esp
GameFile20=Better Bodies.esp
GameFile21=Birdies by Cait and Leeloo.esp
GameFile22=Birthsigns.esp
GameFile23=Blasphemous Revenants.esp
GameFile24=BM-Fixes.esp
GameFile25=Book Rotate - Bloodmoon v5.3.esp
GameFile26=Book Rotate - Morrowind v1.1.esp
GameFile27=Book Rotate - Tribunal v5.3.esp
GameFile28=Booty.esp
GameFile29=Cait's Squirrels.esp
GameFile30=Changing Faces Replacer.esp
GameFile31=Chargen At night.esp
GameFile32=Clean The Mortal Life of Vivec.esp
GameFile33=Creature Pack 1.1.esp
GameFile34=Daedra Summoning Enhanced V. 1.1.esp
GameFile35=DagonFel_Well.esp
GameFile36=DBAttack.esp
GameFile37=Distant Land Weather Fix.esp
GameFile38=dxm_metallic_signs.esp
GameFile39=EBJ_spell_organizer.esp
GameFile40=Enhanced_Stealth.esp
GameFile41=farrp_WeaponCompilationMod_V1.esp
GameFile42=Flee AI Tweaks.esp
GameFile43=Forested Morrowind.esp
GameFile44=HardcoreFactions.esp
GameFile45=Healers.esp
GameFile46=height rebalancing.esp
GameFile47=Illegal Dwemer Trading MW-TR.esp
GameFile48=Illuminated Order v1.0 - Bloodmoon Compatibility Extras.esp
GameFile49=Illuminated Order v1.0.esp
GameFile50=Illuminated Windows - Bloodmoon.esp
GameFile51=Illuminated Windows.esp
GameFile52=Immunity to Normal Weaponry.esp
GameFile53=indybank.esp
GameFile54=Juniper's Twin Lamps (1.1 Tribunal).esp
GameFile55=LGNPC_Secret_Masters_v1_1.esp
GameFile56=LGNPC_Vivec_Redoran_v1_3.esp
GameFile57=master_index.esp
GameFile58=Merged_Leveled_Lists.esp
GameFile59=Morrowind Comes Alive Guards Patch.esp
GameFile60=Morrowind Comes Alive NOM Patch.esp
GameFile61=Morrowind Comes Alive Recruitable NPCs.esp
GameFile62=MWE_Base.esp
GameFile63=MW_CultOfTheClouds_v10.esp
GameFile64=Nolore_Fixes.esp
GameFile65=Oblivion_and_LGNPC_Books.esp
GameFile66=PW_Cait_Moose.esp
GameFile67=Sris_Alchemy_BM.esp
GameFile68=TargetSpellSpeedMod.esp
GameFile69=Tejón's Gold Weight.esp
GameFile70=The regulars - Sitting NPC's v2.02.esp
GameFile71=The Shrine of Mephala by Westly.esp
GameFile72=TLM - Complete.esp
GameFile73=TravelingMerchants_v2.2.esp
GameFile74=t_lostheir.esp
GameFile75=Unofficial_Expansion_for_Louis'_BeautyShop.esp
GameFile76=Vivec Expansion 2.0.esp
GameFile77=Weather Effects.esp
GameFile78=Westly's Breton Male Headpack.esp
GameFile79=Westly's Dark Elf Male Headpack.esp
GameFile80=Westly's Female Head Pack-Humans.esp
GameFile81=Westly's Female Headpack - Elves and Orcs.esp
GameFile82=Westly's High Elf Male Headpack.esp
GameFile83=Westly's Nord Male Headpack.esp
GameFile84=Westly's Orc Male Headpack.esp
GameFile85=Westly's Redguard Male Headpack (Weight Fix).esp
GameFile86=Westly's Redguard Male Headpack.esp
GameFile87=Westly's Wood Elf Male Headpack.esp
GameFile88=Westly's Young Male Mystic Headpack.esp
GameFile89=Great House Dagoth.esp
GameFile90=Oluhan V1.13.esp
GameFile91=Great House Dagoth ( Master Index Compatibility ).esp
GameFile92=Lich Father Act I.esp
GameFile93=Lich Father Act II.esp
GameFile94=Apostates of Oblivion_2.1.esp
GameFile95=Note to Hrisskar.esp

Hazelnut

Erudite
Darkflame said:

Er, from the mod description for forested Morrowind, it seems Leafy MW is a requirement. Is this right, or are you right?

Darkflame

Scholar
Hazelnut said:
Darkflame said:

Er, from the mod description for forested Morrowind, it seems Leafy MW is a requirement. Is this right, or are you right?

Nah I'm right, trust me. I made that mistake too the first time around, until someone told me I didn't need em both checked. Leafy Morrowind is an earlier version of Forested; Leafy Morrowind trails off at the Ashlands, whereas Forested includes all the trees from Leafy and then adds some in the Ashlands.

You can actually see for yourself that they aren't dependent on eachother if you go to the Morrowind Launcher, go to Data Files, and click on Leafy, then check to see what's listed under Parent Masters (on the right). Forested isn't there (and vice versa).

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
SimpleComplexity said:
i tried it with mods, but no matter how many i install, the game still stays pure boredom. what this game needs is a little bit more horror, the feeling to fight for your survival, a lil bit more action, some drugs, a little bit naked skin here and there, a better third person view and maybe some guns you know, liek i dont know, some big ass rocket launcher, which shoots some fucking nuke out of it. unfortunately, nobody has the resources to create a big mod like this. nobody.
Actually IIRC, except for the third person view, all of that stuff is available :) Actually I am also not sure about the rocket launcher, but its doable, too.

More seriously, Morrowind is a sandbox, with beautifully crafted backstory. Its a great game if you like to discover, adventure, learn about the lands history, and don't mind to do a bit of Larping. If you are looking for fallout like gameplay, no amount of mods is gonna fix it.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Darkflame said:
Hazelnut said:
Darkflame said:

Nah I'm right, trust me. I made that mistake too the first time around, until someone told me I didn't need em both checked. Leafy Morrowind is an earlier version of Forested; Leafy Morrowind trails off at the Ashlands, whereas Forested includes all the trees from Leafy and then adds some in the Ashlands.

You can actually see for yourself that they aren't dependent on eachother if you go to the Morrowind Launcher, go to Data Files, and click on Leafy, then check to see what's listed under Parent Masters (on the right). Forested isn't there (and vice versa).

Okay, you're correct regarding the ESPs, but you have to install Leafy for the meshes and textures don't you?

Great list BTW, would be even greater with download links for lazy bums like me! hehe. Seriously though, I spent 3 hours last night downloading mods, and that was just armour and dialogue ones. I'm assuming that there are still many mods you've not tried. For this reason I think a list of Mods that look promising but should be avoided would be helpful if anyone has such a list in their head or HDD. BTW have you ever checked out the Quivers & Fletching mod at all Darkflame?

Darkflame

Scholar
Hazelnut said:
Darkflame said:
Hazelnut said:
Darkflame said:

Okay, you're correct regarding the ESPs, but you have to install Leafy for the meshes and textures don't you?

Great list BTW, would be even greater with download links for lazy bums like me! hehe. Seriously though, I spent 3 hours last night downloading mods, and that was just armour and dialogue ones. I'm assuming that there are still many mods you've not tried. For this reason I think a list of Mods that look promising but should be avoided would be helpful if anyone has such a list in their head or HDD. BTW have you ever checked out the Quivers & Fletching mod at all Darkflame?

I've never tried the standalone, but I think the version you're speaking of was added to Balmora Expanded... I liked what I saw of it, but I didn't like the rest of Balmora Expanded so I got rid of it altogether.

And yea, Morrowind should have a list of mods that aren't worth trying out, unfortunately alot of people probably wouldn't agree on that list...

Fuck it. Steer clear of Sea of Destiny. It sounds promising, and given the right thought to dialogue it could be really cool, but at the moment it sucks.

Oluhan is a great mod. And I mean fantastic. The problem with it is that the author left the scene before he patched his mod, so the modl causes system crashes unless the user patches up some of the scripts. While it is definately worth patching just to play, I would steer clear of it unless you are prepared to use the CS. What really sucks is that noone will patch it - the modding community has alot of silly rules, and people are too afraid of releasing a patched version lest they offend the author (who left the scene years ago)... Yeah it doesn't make much sense, but you're dealing with Morrowinders...

Black Mill is another really really good quest mod, I didn't announce it earlier because it conflicts with a lot of other shit. On it's own though, it really brings alot to the game, certainly on par with Illuminated Order (I believe a patch has been released to make them compatible).

Shitty mods tend to be easy to spot, so I haven't run into many... the creature mods worth trying (other than Creatures) are Giants, Morrowind Additions, and Morrowind Advanced. Stay away from any mods that just add one type of creature (HellHounds for example...)

If you are wondering about a mod(or mods), let me know and I'll tell you if I've tried it and my thoughts. It's probably easier that way than to compile a list. There's also alot I haven't tried, so keep in mind you're consulting my preference, which may deviate from your own.

Klaz

Scholar
Found other interesting mods, at Planet Elder Scrolls:
·Construction (Aparently you can join a construction guild and, with time, build your own town as you like, probably conflicts with a lot of other mods)
·Companions (Supposed to add a lot of Baldur's Gate-styled companions and an alignment system, haven't tried because the page reports a lot of conflicts)
·Privateers' Hold (Interesting mod, it seems like it adds Daggerfall's initial dungeon to the game)
·Havish (From what I've read, it seems like a Daggerfall town in Morrowind. Aparently it has interesting quests)
·The Farmer (I've actually tried this one, you can buy farms and plant on them yourself or buy slaves and slavemasters to do it)
·Erengard Mines (Another job sim, as a mine manager, you actually have to provide food and commodities to the miners)
·Vvardenfell Druglord (My favourite job sim... a must for playing really evil characters)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom