Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind Redeemed by Mods?

aboyd

Liturgist
So I think I might want to try Morrowind. I've heard a lot of stuff about the dialogue being weak, the NPCs lacking personality, etc. Can anyone suggest what mods I should install to have a reasonably enjoyable RPG experience? Or is that not possible?

I'm hoping there are maybe just a few powerful mods that will overcome the weak/dull/stupid parts of the game, allowing me to enjoy the rest of the game unfettered.

Also, I assume I should get the version with all the expansions. Does it work like the Baldur's Gate expansions did, and provide new gaming features in the OC? Or does it just provide expanded areas?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The expansions offer new areas that can be visited at any time. Each new area has its own main quest.

Antagonist

Liturgist
Look for Galsiah's leveling mod via Google (yes, I'm too lazy to look it up myself). Apart from his mod (which sounds pretty interesting) you'll find a link to some pretty comprehensive lists about possibly every Morrowing mod in existence covering everything from simple game mechanic enhancement to new quests.

I always wanted to give a heavily modded Morrowind a try but somehow I can't bring myself to spend 2 weeks to go through all of these mods and figure out how to convince them to coexist peacefully.

galsiah

Erudite
Some threads:
Naked Lunch's confession
mindx2's indecision
Barghest's folly

So I think I might want to try Morrowind. I've heard a lot of stuff about the dialogue being weak, the NPCs lacking personality, etc. Can anyone suggest what mods I should install to have a reasonably enjoyable RPG experience? Or is that not possible?
I think it can be reasonably enjoyable with enough mods, provided you're not expecting it to meet high RPG standards in a reactive world + choice & consequence sense. You can certainly make it a whole lot better with mods, but it rather depends on your requirements. The L(ess)G(eneric)NPC mods are the only ones I know that give standard characters more interesting dialogue. For added quests, the dialogue quality is going to depend on the modder (in general, don't expect much branching).

I'm hoping there are maybe just a few powerful mods that will overcome the weak/dull/stupid parts of the game...
Unlikely - there's just too much stupidity to go around. Most mods stay modular, so that they can allow versatility, and avoid needless conflicts. That means you have options, but also that there aren't many general-purpose mods. (there are a few which head in that direction, but I'm not a fan of that approach)

Also, I assume I should get the version with all the expansions. Does it work like the Baldur's Gate expansions did, and provide new gaming features in the OC? Or does it just provide expanded areas?
Mostly it's expanded areas, but there are a few extra features. From a mod user's point of view, by far the most important aspect is the amount of extra mods you can use - the expansions introduce new scripting functions, some of which are very useful. It'd be silly not to get the version with the expansions.

There's a fair bit of detail in the other threads above - along with some useful places to look.

Oh, and don't trust Antagonist - that "Galsiah" fellow sounds like a dodgy character to me. Just look at the sickening colour scheme of his site. That and his "Morrowind is a very good game..." comment - clearly a flip-flopper, and not to be trusted.

Antagonist

Liturgist
galsiah said:
That and his "Morrowind is a very good game..." comment - clearly a flip-flopper, and not to be trusted.

Prolonged exposition to the Codex can be hazardous to ones enjoyment of certain games ;-)

Bloodmoon was good. Morrowind isn't too bad but I'm sure if you google some mods, you'll find some pretty good ones. The game has been out for five years, I'm giving the modding scene the benefit of the doubt.

Klaz

Scholar
Those are the good mods. The majority of them can be found at Planet Elder Scrolls.
"The Request" (Improves NPC interaction)
"Galsiah's Character Development" (Improves Leveling System)
"Better Balmora" (Makes Balmora bigger, and a lot of nice features)
"Roleplaying Classes: Stealth Pack" (You can perform shows at inns, like jokes or storytelling, rob houses entering the windows, and gamble)
"Big Mod" (Adds choices and consequence, reviews most quests in the game)
"White Wolf of Lokken Mountain" (GREAT quest)
"Dulsya Isle" (Adds an island to the southwest of Vvardenfell, with a lot of quests, and choices and consequences)
"Brother Junipel's Twin Lamps" (You can join the Twin Lamps now, diplomatic solutions)
"Morrowind Comes Alive" (Adds a lot of NPCs to the cities, random generated)
"Living Cities of Vvardenfell" (Adds schedules to the NPCs)
"The Seekers" (A faction for detective-like characters)
"The Illuminated Order" (Great exploration quests)
"Children of Morrowind" (Adds children to the game, you can become a childkiller ala Fallout)
"Elders of Vvardenfell" (Same as children mod but adds old people instead)
"Extended Vivec" (Adds an underworld to Vivec and open cantons)
"Character Maker" (Lets you distribute points into your character's stats and skills in the beggining of the came yourself, like in the SPECIAL system, so race selection is just for looks and initial powers)
"Advantages/Disadvantages" (Adds Daggerfall-style Advantages and Disadvantages)
"You have violated the law" (If you join the Imperial Legion, you can arrest people)
"The Morag Tong Services" (You can pay assassins to murder any NPC in the game)
"Julan, Ashlander Warrior" (Adds a companion with a personality, and you can train his skills in any direction you want)
"Dracandros' Voice" and "Give your Orders" (Those mod compliment eachother, they let you give orders to members of your faction if you are a higher rank)
"Less Generic NPC's Project" (Unclonizes NPC's in the game)

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Weve had similar threads, look them up. I dont know if you will like MW, but you can change it greatly with mods. You need to invest some research in what you like, though, and in setting up the mods and making sure everything runs togeter. Plenty of mod lists and how to's on the web.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
aboyd said:
Can anyone suggest what mods I should install to have a reasonably enjoyable RPG experience? Or is that not possible?

I'm hoping there are maybe just a few powerful mods that will overcome the weak/dull/stupid parts of the game, allowing me to enjoy the rest of the game unfettered.
It's been too long for me to remember individual mods suggest (except for The Illuminated Order, which somebody already mentioned and which indeed kicks ass, though you won't need it until you run out of other interesting quests to do), but I would definitely say that yes, you can have an enjoyable RPG experience with it, and to give it a whirl. It doesn't have the same depth of character-skill-based multiple paths of solving quests that some of the venerated classics around here do, but I found it to be a very enjoyable exploration-RPG; there's plenty to do and all sorts of places to go, and some of the quest lines can be pretty fun. Exploring and learning about the world, especially in the intermediate levels where your character is in between being helpless and godlike, is probably the best part.

Darkflame

Scholar
Morrowind is redeemable by mods, but I wouldn't say it's been redeemed just yet. Still, mods will provide you with an eternity of enjoyment; though there will always be things you'll wish to implement. I got into Morrowind because it reminded me of Ultima Underworld minus the dialogue choices... I would never play it without mods though (never have actually).

The LGNPC (google LGNPC to find their site) series is a must-have. It gives many NPCs much more dialogue/quests, and multiply that by 10 if you play as House Redoran.

Assassins Armory adds many more weapons (all balanced), making the game more interesting.

Havish is an excellent mod that adds many more quests.

Weather Effects is good, makes it so that the player experiences different stat effects during different weather.

The Distant Land mod is amazing. It makes the entire world show at once (a la Oblivion) rather than eternal fog. You can also download a mod that brings the eternal fog back when the weather calls for it.

The Temperature mod gives each region it's own temperatures and weather effects.

Booty Island is another good quest mod.

Juniper Twin Lamps is another, adds a faction for people who wish to free slaves.

Vivec Expansion, makes Vivec how it should have appeared (with all sorts of new shops, huts, poor people under the cantons, etc. Adds many quests too).

Windows Glow - at night!

Annastia - a great mod that adds many non-linear quests.

Forests of Vvardenfell - also great.

Traveling Merchants - cool stuff.

Tejon's Gold Weight - forces you to watch your inventory.

Morrowind Enhanced (with Combat Enhanced and Blocking Enhanced) is a must-have for me. Oblivion's melee combat was its only redeeming factor, but Combat & Blocking Enhanced for Morrowind is far better.

Living Cities of Vvardenfell - doors lock at night, NPCs leave their shops and go home, to the bar, etc.

The Creatures mod (look up PirateLord), adds many new creatures that fit into lore.

Necessities of Morrowind - you must eat and drink, and sleep, to survive.

Morrowind Comes Alive - Adds many more NPCs to the game, friendly and hostile, some will join you, etc.

Snakes on a Plane of Oblivion is a good quest-mod, though I wish the author would update it.

Galsiah's Leveling mod is a must-have mod unless you use Blocking Enhanced (unfortunately they conflict, and blocking comes up in game-play more frequently than levelling, so I choose the former). However if you want to slow levelling to a more realistic level, you could always use Hardcore Levels, by yours truly.

There are also countless book mods which add new books, a very strong point of Morrowind IMO.

It really isn't difficult to avoid conflicts. All of the above work fine together. You can also check out these lists:
http://www.mwmythicmods.com/

If you have multiple mods that add NPCs/Creatures/Items to levelled lists, you need to merge levelled lists. Download TESTool and the Resequencer, can be daunting to the noob but still very easy to use. Ask if you need help.

Every mod on my modlist is good too, and none of them conflict.

GameFile0=Morrowind.esm
GameFile1=Tribunal.esm
GameFile2=Bloodmoon Landscape Overhaul 1.0.esm
GameFile3=Bloodmoon.esm
GameFile4=Beauty_Pack.esm
GameFile5=Assassins Armory.esm
GameFile6=Book Rotate.esm
GameFile7=Texture Fix - Bloodmoon 1.1.esm
GameFile8=Texture Fix 1.7.esm
GameFile9=Havish.esm
GameFile10=MCA.esm
GameFile11=ACE_Books.esp
GameFile12=Lgnpc_SN.esp
GameFile13=master_index.esp
GameFile14=VOORHEES_AldIndoril2.esp
GameFile15=Weather Effects.esp
GameFile16=lgnpc_MaarGan.esp
GameFile17=lgnpc_GnaarMok.esp
GameFile18=Emmas_woodelf_faces_1_0.esp
GameFile19=lgnpc_Ald'ruhn.esp
GameFile20=lgnpc_khuul.esp
GameFile21=lgnpc_AldVelothi.esp
GameFile22=lgnpc_HlaOad.esp
GameFile23=LGNPC_Tel Mora_v1.02.esp
GameFile24=LGNPC - Foreign Quarter v0.5.esp
GameFile25=LGNPC - Pelagiad.esp
GameFile26=Westly's Imperial Male Headpack.esp
GameFile27=Westly's Dark Elf Male Headpack.esp
GameFile28=Distand Land Interior Fix.esp
GameFile29=Clean The Mortal Life of Vivec.esp
GameFile30=Distant Land Weather Fix.esp
GameFile31=LGNPC_Indarys_Manor_v1_3.esp
GameFile32=LGNPC_PAX_Redoran.esp
GameFile33=Chargen At night.esp
GameFile34=Immunity to Normal Weaponry.esp
GameFile35=AscadianPalms1.1.esp
GameFile36=LGNPC_Secret_Masters.esp
GameFile37=LGNPC_Vivec_Redoran_v1_2.esp
GameFile38=LGNPC_SM_MCA5.esp
GameFile39=Enhanced_Stealth.esp
GameFile40=The Shrine of Mephala by Westly.esp
GameFile41=TC_SadrithMoraClosed.esp
GameFile42=Blasphemous Revenants.esp
GameFile43=Nirnroot.esp
GameFile44=SOL_Maurrie's_True_Love.esp
GameFile45=Mining Mod V2.0 [TRIB].esp
GameFile46=Temperature 1.13.esp
GameFile47=Daedra Summoning Enhanced V. 1.1.esp
GameFile48=SOLcodebook.esp
GameFile49=New Books-1174420688-TESSource.esp
GameFile50=Booty.esp
GameFile51=Book Rotate - Tribunal v5.3.esp
GameFile52=Book Rotate - Bloodmoon v5.3.esp
GameFile53=Book Jackets - Morrowind - BookRotate.esp
GameFile54=Book Jackets - Tribunal - BookRotate.esp
GameFile55=Book Jackets - Bloodmoon - BookRotate.esp
GameFile56=AreaEffectArrows.esp
GameFile57=MW_CultOfTheClouds_v10.esp
GameFile58=dxm_metallic_signs.esp
GameFile59=DagonFel_Well.esp
GameFile60=Healers.esp
GameFile61=pfweapons.esp
GameFile62=EBJ_spell_organizer.esp
GameFile63=Juniper's Twin Lamps (1.1 Tribunal).esp
GameFile64=Creature Pack 1.1.esp
GameFile65=Illuminated Order v1.0.esp
GameFile66=Illuminated Order v1.0 - Bloodmoon Compatibility Extras.esp
GameFile67=Ashlander Traders.esp
GameFile68=Vivec Expansion 2.0.esp
GameFile69=t_lostheir.esp
GameFile70=goth_clothez.esp
GameFile71=Better Bodies.esp
GameFile72=farrp_WeaponCompilationMod_V2.esp
GameFile73=Byb_Traders 300.esp
GameFile74=Windows Glow.esp
GameFile75=Blight Bounties.esp
GameFile76=Haunted Tombs v1.05a.esp
GameFile77=hauntedbridgefixed.esp
GameFile78=A Call to Issilar.esp
GameFile79=Forests of Vvardenfell.esp
GameFile80=Annastia V3.3.esp
GameFile81=Assassins Armory - Bolt Rifles.esp
GameFile82=PW_Cait_Moose.esp
GameFile83=height rebalancing.esp
GameFile84=Tejón's Gold Weight.esp
GameFile85=TravelingMerchants_v2.2.esp
GameFile86=MWE_Base.esp
GameFile87=Cait's Squirrels.esp
GameFile88=Birdies by Cait and Leeloo.esp
GameFile89=SG-toughersixth.esp
GameFile90=Better Clothes Beta_1.4.esp
GameFile91=Illegal Dwemer Trading MW-TR.esp
GameFile92=pcc_lob_shephli_66.esp
GameFile93=Map - Deluxe.esp
GameFile94=TargetSpellSpeedMod.esp
GameFile95=HardcoreMercantile.esp
GameFile96=NPC LCV Schedules 03.esp
GameFile97=NPC LCV Locks.esp
GameFile98=CM_Assassin_5.esp
GameFile99=TLM - Light Sources (Natural Water).esp
GameFile100=TLM - Ambient Light + Fog Update.esp
GameFile101=TLM - NPC Light Sources.esp
GameFile102=TLM - External Lights Ownership.esp
GameFile103=BM-Fixes.esp
GameFile104=TLM - Light Sources (Lanterns).esp
GameFile105=TLM - Light Sources (Clearer Lighting).esp
GameFile106=CastReduce-v30.esp
GameFile107=Nymeria's Monthly Respawn.esp
GameFile108=Nymeria's magicka potions adder.esp
GameFile109=MWE_Blocking.esp
GameFile110=MWE_Combat.esp
GameFile111=Nymeria's Faster Walk.esp
GameFile112=Assassins Armory - No Scripts.esp
GameFile113=HardcoreLevels.esp
GameFile114=Service_Requirements_V1.4.1&WGI.esp
GameFile115=Balance - NPC Spellcasting.esp
GameFile116=Gameplay - Faction.esp
GameFile117=Gameplay - Dialogue.esp
GameFile118=Balance - Magic Effects.esp
GameFile119=Balance - spells.esp
GameFile120=Balance - Character.esp
GameFile121=Balance - items.esp
GameFile122=Sris_Alchemy_BM.esp
GameFile123=EcoAdjMisc.esp
GameFile124=EcoAdj(Sri+Ingredients).esp
GameFile125=EcoAdjDaedricDrops.esp
GameFile126=BrittlewindFixed.esp
GameFile127=Complete Trade Fix.esp
GameFile128=Creatures.esp
GameFile129=Necessities of Morrowind 2.1.esp
GameFile130=MCA - NOM Patch.esp
GameFile131=Merged_Leveled_Lists.esp
GameFile132=horationpcenhanced11-bm.esp
GameFile133=MCA - Guards Patch.esp

Klaz

Scholar
Whoah, what a good setup! :shock: they don't conflict? I really have to try that mod combo... I'll have to see if it works with Julan, Dulsya Isle and Lokken Mountain.

Darkflame

Scholar
Klaz said:
Whoah, what a good setup! :shock: they don't conflict? I really have to try that mod combo... I'll have to see if it works with Julan, Dulsya Isle and Lokken Mountain.

Haven't tried Julan... Dulsya Isle shoud not conflict with any of those, but Lokken will conflict with Haunted Bridge. If you haven't played Lokken yet go with that one, else go with Haunted Bridge.

And sorry I don't have links for anything, but they can all pretty much be found by googling the file name (they should be anyway). And no none of them conflict, but you need to merge levelled lists if you use all of them. It takes two clicks once you have the proper tools, let me know if you need assistance.

EDIT: let me know if you need clarification on anything as well; I've had alot of fun with Morrowind and would hope for others to have a similar experience. Not to say it's been my favorite gaming experience, but it's certainly been more than worthwhile given what's currently available.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Wow! That's quite a list.

There was an "archery improvement" mod that I remember using. It made being an assassin-type character viable for me.
Can't remember what it was called (and the above list doesn't kick-start my memory), but it added heaps of cool bows, arrows, some archery related shops, and bow 'realism' effects like causing fatigue if you nocked your arrow for too long.

Anyway, my mod list was reasonably big, but not that big. And yes, it did make Morrowind a heap more playable for me.

NiM82

Prophet
Quite a good mod if you like adventuring/exploring is the Stormrider ship modification, it adds a ship you can sail around in realtime (with a smaller rowboat you can dock/undock and take upriver). Both take damage when they hit rocks (and can be mended). Big cabin/storage area for storing yer lewt, and it works with mark/recall etc. You can tell it to fast travel to various ports as well.

Doesn't really redeem any flaw's, but is fun and makes travelling to certain places a whole lot less irritating.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=4569

Darkflame

Scholar
Shagnak said:
Wow! That's quite a list.

There was an "archery improvement" mod that I remember using. It made being an assassin-type character viable for me.
Can't remember what it was called (and the above list doesn't kick-start my memory), but it added heaps of cool bows, arrows, some archery related shops, and bow 'realism' effects like causing fatigue if you nocked your arrow for too long.

Anyway, my mod list was reasonably big, but not that big. And yes, it did make Morrowind a heap more playable for me.

Bethesda made an official mod that added an archery shop to one of Vivec's cantons (it adds exploding arrows - go figure). And there is Suran Archery Tradehouse (conflicts with Suran Underworld I believe). Might have been one of those...

NiM82 said:
Quite a good mod if you like adventuring/exploring is the Stormrider ship modification, it adds a ship you can sail around in realtime (with a smaller rowboat you can dock/undock and take upriver). Both take damage when they hit rocks (and can be mended). Big cabin/storage area for storing yer lewt, and it works with mark/recall etc. You can tell it to fast travel to various ports as well.

Doesn't really redeem any flaw's, but is fun and makes travelling to certain places a whole lot less irritating.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=4569

That actually looks really cool, I'm going to check it out in my next game - with all the island mods a ship would come in handy.

Klaz

Scholar
If you haven't played Lokken yet go with that one, else go with Haunted Bridge.

Is it better than Lokken? I really liked that quest.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Darkflame said:
Bethesda made an official mod that added an archery shop to one of Vivec's cantons (it adds exploding arrows - go figure). And there is Suran Archery Tradehouse (conflicts with Suran Underworld I believe). Might have been one of those...
I used the official Bethesda one, yes. But there was another one as well that added several things. Damn my faulty memory! It was called something boring like "Improved Archery", but I'm googling to no avail.
I remember it being reasonably substantial in size (i.e. more than just a few megs), so maybe it combined a bunch of mods.

EDit:
I think I've found it!
Marksman Mod??? Links appear to be dead :(

Darkflame

Scholar
Klaz said:
If you haven't played Lokken yet go with that one, else go with Haunted Bridge.

Is it better than Lokken? I really liked that quest.

No, Lokken is much better. Haunted Bridge just places a really long bridge full of enemies between Solstheim and the large island north of Vvardenfall. I just decided to give it a go since I'd finished Lokken.

Shagnak said:
Darkflame said:
I used the official Bethesda one, yes. But there was another one as well that added several things. Damn my faulty memory! It was called something boring like "Improved Archery", but I'm googling to no avail.
I remember it being reasonably substantial in size (i.e. more than just a few megs), so maybe it combined a bunch of mods.

EDit:
I think I've found it!
Marksman Mod??? Links appear to be dead :(

That's probably it. I never tried that one - I think it is available here: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=1067

aboyd

Liturgist
Well holy crap, guys. Thanks! Every single mod mentioned sounds good to me. I am going to have field day installing and playing all this stuff.

Especially thank you to Darkflame. Having a list of mods that do not conflict is very valuable.

I appreciate all the links. I'm off to check them out.

Xi

Arcane
Morrowind is far superior as an Elder Scrolls game then Oblivion will ever be. Straight out of the box it reaks of TES. Still, it doesn't do things quite as well as Daggerfall, but like many others have said, if you put some time into installing a bunch of mods before you start the game it's pretty amazing what you can come up with.

Here is a mod I was working on long ago:(Just a Screenshot anyway)

http://morrowind.8m.com/images/ss8.jpg

The tower was surrounded by invisible walls from all sides/angles(you had to have a specific item to see the walls and be able to find the entrance). Once inside the walls, guardians would spawn to prevent your entry to the top. Once you got to the top and entered you would take a very long plunge to your death at the bottom(unless you had specific magics/potions to prevent such things). Once inside you had to rely on light spells/torches to see the maze that lied ahead.

Well that's as far as I got it before the HDD it was on crashed. Fucking A! I lost everything and stopped moderating at that point. I hadn't worked out the entire story yet, only the obstacle course to its end. Would have been an extremely difficult journey and anyone who played vanilla morrowind knows how easy the game can get when you are powered up. /sigh

Darkflame

Scholar
aboyd said:
Especially thank you to Darkflame. Having a list of mods that do not conflict is very valuable.

Meh, just a messenger kid. If you have any thanks, send it to those modders. Without them none of us would ever give Morrowind a second glance.

Helioth

Scholar
How can you hope that a game which would attract idiots would be more enjoyable by being modded by idiots ?

Oblivion is just flat and a mesh of different fairy tales, cultures, visions, it has no real substance and no originality, might have something to do with it's creator's not having any of these features either. Morrowind is not much different, feels more old school but it's ultimately shitty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom