Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind mods are a fucking jungle

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Nice. What does it do to your fps, though?
Probably destroys it, like every other Morrowind graphics mod. Even if the game looks like someone took a 12-year-old engine and added HDR, I'd rather it not play at 20 fps.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
OpenMW is making progress though.

If they are professional enough to make it faster and stabler than the original engine is another matter.

MCA
But who gives a fuck, really? Will OpenMW work with all the mods? If not, then it's useless. If it will, well, it's useless again since we have the original game R00FLES. We need to be able to change the core rules to make the game make sense and the combat not shit.

As for MW mods being a jungle, ask The Brazilian Slaughter about jungles. I'm sure he has first hand experience.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
But who gives a fuck, really? Will OpenMW work with all the mods? If not, then it's useless. If it will, well, it's useless again since we have the original game R00FLES. We need to be able to change the core rules to make the game make sense and the combat not shit.
You should read up about the engine... Part of the reason they are redoing the engine is to fix broken mechanics. The game mechanics are not being imported by the new engine - only the assets are, everything else is being done by the team. If the engine is successful then you'd be able to create other games on the engine, as long as assets are of compatible format. This could develop into something really special.

Yes - it will work with all the mods, since how the assets are handled should be more or less the same. You will however be able to mod the mechanics as well in this new iteration. Hacks that pass-off as mods won't work though, for obvious reasons.

Not to mention graphical enhancements are basically limited only to what Ogre3D can do, which is basically everything. So replacing the old assets might not even be necessary to create a marginally better looking experience.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
MW still crashes left and right without a floating point hack. Just for that a (good) replacement would be welcome, but there is also the awful performance.

Misconnected

Savant
It runs fine. Its enabling distant lands that causes massive FPS loss

That's almost exactly wrong.

The higher the view distance, the more resource intensive Distant Land will be, obviously. But unless your hardware is absolutely ancient, you're probably not going to want a great enough view distance for Distant Land to have a significant performance impact. Most people prefer a view distance below 18 cells for purely aesthetic reasons (I prefer 7 myself). It's true that when Distant Land first became possible, it was absolute murder on performance, whatever the hardware. But that was a very, very long time ago and it is many, many, many times faster these days.

It's everything else that murders people's FPS. Shaders hit very hard. Scripts and AI hits fairly hard. Stuff that adds animated things or increases poly count has a not-insignificant impact. And for low-RAM users, high-res texture replacers hit very hard.

Is Ogre3D a universally better renderer than what MW + MWGE can do? The Brazilian Slaughter wonders.

Enormously much so. Morrowind's engine has some pretty serious issues that are beyond fixing, and while some are renderer related not all are. Generally speaking, engine issues is why mods have such a hefty performance impact. And why the game itself always ran like shit.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
That's almost exactly wrong.

The higher the view distance, the more resource intensive Distant Land will be, obviously. But unless your hardware is absolutely ancient, you're probably not going to want a great enough view distance for Distant Land to have a significant performance impact. Most people prefer a view distance below 18 cells for purely aesthetic reasons (I prefer 7 myself). It's true that when Distant Land first became possible, it was absolute murder on performance, whatever the hardware. But that was a very, very long time ago and it is many, many, many times faster these days.

It's everything else that murders people's FPS. Shaders hit very hard. Scripts and AI hits fairly hard. Stuff that adds animated things or increases poly count has a not-insignificant impact. And for low-RAM users, high-res texture replacers hit very hard.

Enormously much so. Morrowind's engine has some pretty serious issues that are beyond fixing, and while some are renderer related not all are. Generally speaking, engine issues is why mods have such a hefty performance impact. And why the game itself always ran like shit.

I stand corrected

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
http://www.ornitocopter.net/v3-0-release/

Overhaul 3.0 is out. Too bad I haven't still got the game to work since I first tried with this computer when the 2.0 was released. Freezes everytime when I try to load a saved game. Installed at least 5 times (clean) and no mods, have changed gpu in between tries (old one fried) but no luck.Fucker.

Played last time in 2006 I think. Only time I ever finished the main quest after about 15 characters. Would have loved to try it once more, with more powerful computer.

Borelli

Arcane
Is there a mod that removes miscellaneous skills affecting attributes on lvl up?

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Is there a mod that removes miscellaneous skills affecting attributes on lvl up?
Wouldn't you end up pretty weak if you did that? That was the worst meta-gaming part of the game.
I'd be pretty happy if you levelled up on misc skills as well as minors and majors.
That would certainly be interesting - but then just remove the distinction altogether?

Also, weak? In Morrowind?
:notsureifserious:
I forgot the context... :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom