Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind mods are a fucking jungle

visions

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Morrowind is great and perfectly playable without any mods.

Not necessarily great, but perfectly playable, yes.

adure

Liturgist
Morrowind-Mods-20.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mahhahaha evil apparently (and inconsistent with the rest of the game really).

There is another one, possibly better, "Great House Dagoth‎".

I wouldn't know. Am not playing at all.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Darth Roxor said:

And you're all faggots.

True, but the fog is really annoying, even with max view distance. The graphics extender improves the visuals by a lot.

Tycn said:
So are there any mods that make playing a magic-inclined character more enjoyable?

You might want any mod that regens magic.

Darth Roxor said:

Yup, at most I'd just triple the max view distance and delay the dark brotherhood attack.

The people who add dozens of mods to morrowind(and typically end up not playing the game after spending hours installing the mods) are the same who believe adding animu faces, high res textures and better loot/leveling to oblivion suddenly makes it enjoyable.

Leimrey

Educated
Morrowind had one of the best storylines (complexity and ambiguity wise) I've ever seen in wRPGs. I think the fact that made it so great for me was the presence of all those political intrigues and rumors surrounding the Nerevarine, goals/actions of the Tribunal, Vivec, Dagoth Ur and Nerevar themselves, etc.

SPOILERS

I especially liked those moments when the player is made aware that the Tribunal has captured some little girl that claims to be Nerevarine (and, from all the bits of information I can remember, she was much closer to being the real reincarntaion than the player; the bitch was performing miracles or some other interesting shit) or when Azura outright states that "you' are not the Nerevarine, but you can become him" (as in carrying out the "prophecy"').

poetic codex

Augur
^Those lists are excellent but the problem is that they are still a bit too comprehensive.

The guy I linked to in my post above (btb) created his list specifically for newbies who just want to jump right in with a good base of "essential" mods.

Those more comprehensive lists are for later on, imo.

Personally, for a newbie who wants to jump right in immediately, I would recommend:

morrowind patch project

better bodies

mixed textures

swg skies

Madd leveller (more newbie friendly than Galsiah)

This is a good starting base. Then you can use those more comprehensive lists to add in other mods to suit your flavor as you become more experienced.

hakuroshi

Augur
If you can't stand gameplay (which is understandable) and don't care about setting (which is arguably better to read then play) don't bother. There are no mods fixing that. If anyhing they make game worse.
There are some mods which could improve you expirience but only if you already like the game. And they are usually not uniform for all players.

Edit: Tamriel Rebuilt maps aren't nesessary as well. They add nothing to core game and look more impressive then actually are.

baronjohn

Cipher
The Wizard said:
official patch and galsiahs character developement.

i personally don't need anything else. maybe tamriel rebuild map 1 and 2 for good measure.
That and the official free addons. Especially the Siege of Firemoth (?)

Don't bother with any graphics mods. They are all shit and rape the superb feel of the gmae.

Hegel

Arcane
At a certain point I had so many mods loaded that it took more than 5 minutes to just load a save. :smug:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I played it with Better Bodies (essential, imho) and a few smaller mods that did stuff like change the way coins looked, changed the look of Chrysamere, etc.

I also had a texture mod going, can't remember which one. And Galsiah's character development mod was good, eventually. I say "eventually" because if you're just starting out, you don't really understand how to "game" the leveling system and you level quite slowly. It's only after your 10th playthrough or so that you start to realize how to meta-game the whole thing and you're burning your way to level 20 in no time.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
You might want any mod that regens magic.

I'm using the adjustable magicka regen here http://www.freewebs.com/glassboy/adjustments.htm to have magicka regen at 1.25 (which is about 2 points or so every game hour.) Not game breaking, but makes the game less rediculous.

That and better heads/better bodies are the only things I added. Also, there are a couple mods to add slutty armor for female characters. You should install these as well.

Do those fog removers mess with the sandstorms or red mist around Red Mountain? If they did, that would really take away from the game itself.

I think there is also a mod I once used to add a an imp in Peligrad who always had 5000 gp to buy your junk. This was great at first, then I came to rely on that little dude too much. Makes it too easy to buy training/game leveling.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Daemongar said:
I think there is also a mod I once used to add a an imp in Peligrad who always had 5000 gp to buy your junk. This was great at first, then I came to rely on that little dude too much. Makes it too easy to buy training/game leveling.

Not sure if there is a mod that adds a scamp in Pelagiad but there is Creeper in Caldera that serves a similar function and is part of the base game.

DraQ

Arcane
@Leimer:
Really? Sure, ambiguity and setting in general are certainly the high point of (pre oblivious) TES, Dagoth Ur was pretty awesome villain with actual motivation and political aspects are cool as well, but the presentation was lukewarm at best, and while most cRPG stories are simply laughable, there are also such pearls as PS:T.

tl;dr
Backstory - no doubt, story - not really.

Tycn said:
So are there any mods that make playing a magic-inclined character more enjoyable?
I'd just go with WGI modular to rebalance useless effects. Maybe some slow mana regen to reduce need for cat-naps. After that it's all the matter of using intelligence and creativity when crafting and using spells rather than grinding your fighter skills because fireball spam doesn't cut it.

Other than that, official patches and MCP are very good to have.

Leimrey

Educated
DraQ said:
but the presentation was lukewarm at best, and while most cRPG stories are simply laughable, there are also such pearls as PS:T.
The overall storyline/writing quality in Morrowind is hardly on par with Torment, but I really enjoyed the method by which storyline-related information was "presented" to the player. And by that I mean the fact that the player had to do some digging (read some books, converse with non-story related characters) in order to uncover many political intrigues/rumors. It was pretty easy to create the "complete" picture of events in your head without digging too much in the game's lore and fail to understand, that the mosaic is much more complex than that and is missing a lot of pieces.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hmmm, MWSE started working on wine.

There are still some crashes. I'm going to try timeslip exe optimizer.
Where are the key configurations stored? Either updating the code patch or using the exe optimizer fucked up my beautiful key configs.

Never mind, it's the registry and it's my own damn fault.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom