Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind modding thread

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
BTB's mod by itself won't change the economy much IIRC (his changes to gear and spell values might change the base prices), but he suggests mods that will have a similar effect. Personally most of the Rebirth balance/economy changes sound good to me, it's not a very hard game to begin with and the third most common complaint about Morrowind (after Caius Cosades and the dwemer puzzle box) is that you're soon swimming in money since all the good stuff is either a quest reward, found on some cave or can be stolen with little difficulty. Creeper and Mudcrab are also cheat mode so you need to remove them if you want your economy changes to mean anything. I doubt the change to speed really make much of a difference since everyone not playing furry/scalie uses the Sanic boots anyway.

BTB does some weird shit that I don't really agree with, like nerfing misc skills so they don't level up as you use them (can only be trained) and increasing training cost is icing on that cake. Lots of good stuff in that mod though and luckily it's modular.

I did retry rebirth and I'm having a better time now. I think I just gimped my character from the start because I picked altmer with no speed skills and ended up with starting speed of like 20 which is like crawling through muck. When I rerolled I made sure to take athletics as a minor skill and maybe speed as a primary attribute so I ended up starting with 40 speed which is fine, felt like I was zipping around compared to the 20.

I really don't like abusing boots of blinding speed because I think it's one of those game breaking items. When you can just zoom away from all enemies at light speed it totally kills the sense of danger. I did get the boots but I only use them in short bursts when traveling down a straight road or something and I'm not bugging out the blind effect.

BTB actually makes those cast on use rather than constant effect in his mod which seems like a really smart fix tbh.

What about OpenMW's compatibility with existing mods? All plugins should work, no?

I think I could do a small playthru with just "Always Plus 5 Modifier" to scratch my nostalgia itch.

Don't really care for all the max grafikk mods, they make Morrowind look like a completely different game, with a disjointed art direction to boot.

As far as I'm aware, OpenMW is NOT compatible with the MW script extender and that's a dealbreaker for me because so many great mods are dependent on MWSE.

Regarding your game crashing on close, that's totally normal and most mods cause that issue. Doesn't indicate a problem with the mods and it's really not that big a deal.

If you're thinking about always +5 maybe consider GCD as an alternative because it just auto levels your attributes and gets rid of the dumbass leveling system.

Anyway I'm super proud of my most recent install because I've got somewhere upwards of 100 mods installed now and the game actually works!

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Regarding your game crashing on close, that's totally normal and most mods cause that issue. Doesn't indicate a problem with the mods and it's really not that big a deal.
Actually, I've found out what was causing the problem. My laptop has two GPUs, and since Morrowind is such an old game, the laptop was just using integrated video instead of switching to a powerful dedicated GPU, hence the terrible performance and all the crashes. Once I forced it to use the Nvidia GPU it all worked just fine.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Anyway I'm super proud of my most recent install because I've got somewhere upwards of 100 mods installed now and the game actually works!
Speaking of which, could somebody just zip up their Morrowind installation (sans the vanilla files obviously) and upload it somewhere? I don't feel like spending 3 days going thru that STEP wiki guide and installing all the mods one by one.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
BTB's mod by itself won't change the economy much IIRC (his changes to gear and spell values might change the base prices), but he suggests mods that will have a similar effect. Personally most of the Rebirth balance/economy changes sound good to me, it's not a very hard game to begin with and the third most common complaint about Morrowind (after Caius Cosades and the dwemer puzzle box) is that you're soon swimming in money since all the good stuff is either a quest reward, found on some cave or can be stolen with little difficulty. Creeper and Mudcrab are also cheat mode so you need to remove them if you want your economy changes to mean anything. I doubt the change to speed really make much of a difference since everyone not playing furry/scalie uses the Sanic boots anyway.

BTB does some weird shit that I don't really agree with, like nerfing misc skills so they don't level up as you use them (can only be trained) and increasing training cost is icing on that cake. Lots of good stuff in that mod though and luckily it's modular.

I did retry rebirth and I'm having a better time now. I think I just gimped my character from the start because I picked altmer with no speed skills and ended up with starting speed of like 20 which is like crawling through muck. When I rerolled I made sure to take athletics as a minor skill and maybe speed as a primary attribute so I ended up starting with 40 speed which is fine, felt like I was zipping around compared to the 20.

I really don't like abusing boots of blinding speed because I think it's one of those game breaking items. When you can just zoom away from all enemies at light speed it totally kills the sense of danger. I did get the boots but I only use them in short bursts when traveling down a straight road or something and I'm not bugging out the blind effect.

BTB actually makes those cast on use rather than constant effect in his mod which seems like a really smart fix tbh.

What about OpenMW's compatibility with existing mods? All plugins should work, no?

I think I could do a small playthru with just "Always Plus 5 Modifier" to scratch my nostalgia itch.

Don't really care for all the max grafikk mods, they make Morrowind look like a completely different game, with a disjointed art direction to boot.

As far as I'm aware, OpenMW is NOT compatible with the MW script extender and that's a dealbreaker for me because so many great mods are dependent on MWSE.
Yeah, many mods were written for MWSE, so they're incompatible for the new engine. They'll have to be rewritten for OPENMW, but besides the companion stuff, what did MGE XE/MWSE offer in the way of great mods?

All I can think of is arrow de-knocker, which is a native function of OpenMW's engine. Antares Animations work fine in the new engine, and there was even a cool looking backstab mod for OpenMW: Sneak Menu, I think its called.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ok, that's it, I finally installed Morrowind 2 and gave it a go. 10 minutes in and I'm laughing myself to death here. Complete fucking madness.

aYxfEk1.png

"hello, i am the royal captain of the mournhold royal temple guard, and we are here looking for Smallmalexia, who is the small Almalexia"

"Smallmalexia?"

"Smallmalexia is part of the Tiny Tribunal and is the Small almalexia. She looks like almalexia, but Small."

:lol:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Found this in the Temple of Hircine in Suran (now covered in snow and taken over by Hircine-worshippers):

bJKUEOc.png

In Suran you also find a Dragonborn whose sole dialogue file is the Skyrim theme to which he lipsyncs. He can take you to "Skyrim", which consists of an iceberg with a house dedicated to Austin Powers, and empty ice caverns where at the end lies a note that says "skyrim dragonborn dlc fucking sucks ass".

razvedchiki

Erudite
Im looking for a list some dude made some time ago,it had mainly mods that fix the economy and found them pretty neat at the time.unfortunately i have forgoten the dudes name.

Abhay

Augur
Can anyone please help me regarding the best mods to install for Morrowind, especially, compatible with the OpenMW patch?
I am not much into graphics, and mostly like to know any mods that improve the overall gameplay, for instabce: unofficial patches that fix bugs, animation errors, better texture packs, rebalancing the skills, magic, combat and any other aspect of the game, and even the mods that raise the challenge during the combat with AI tweaks and overall NPC AI in general.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I began modding Morrowind again. I came across a mod called Morrowind Game Overhaul. It's a shame that, for such a grandiose title, the mod is fairly simple. The .pdf included with it consists of only six pages: page 1 is a summary; page 2 is an introduction; and page 6 consists of credits.

Major changes of the mod are:
  1. Less need to worry about attribute bonuses on level up because these have been adjusted.
  2. Faster running speed.
  3. Magicka regenerates up to a certain point (say, 90% of the Magicka bar is full).
  4. Fatigue regenerates faster but is also lost faster when fighting and jumping.
  5. Unnecessary dialogue edits from Django's Dialogue and the addition of voice acting for Vivec and Yagrum Bagarn.
  6. No more Creeper and Mudcrab Merchant.
  7. The cost to train skills has been doubled.
  8. A handful of spell adjustments.
  9. Delayed Dark Brotherhood Attack and Solstheim Rumour Fix have been included.
  10. Changes to a handful of artifacts and rare equipment.
  11. A few changes in certain locations to make rare items much harder to get or outright removed.
Though simplicity is nice, in a way I take much more comfort in how BTB autistically changed most of the things in Morrowind and also gave good explanations to boot. I'd argue people are against his mod not because of how invasive it is, but because it changes some aspects of Morrowind, particularly many mechanics that easily allow the player to break the game, that people have come to understand as "the essence of Morrowind".

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Morrowind is unironically one game where heavy modding can make it look really ugly, but just a couple mods make it look gorgeous

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Morrowind is unironically one game where heavy modding can make it look really ugly, but just a couple mods make it look gorgeous

Are you me? Yesterday I said this on the MMC Discord:

Morrowind is unironically one game where heavy modding can make it look really ugly, but just a couple mods make it look gorgeous (IMO)

Either hivemind or you are a Discord bro.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Only tangentially related, but the new game outward gives off big morrowind vibes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom