Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind modding thread

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Listening to that long video Luzur linked and this thread, and playing Skyrim, is making me really, really sad.

Morrowind was a piece of art. It was made with what I call love, a quality I see in only the best games. Morrowind's art is in its art design and in its lore. Skyrim is so... so empty. Everything you do is lifeless, cold. There's no meaning or substance there, just... making numbers bigger. There's no emotion, no xenophobia, no melancholy. I miss Morrowind and the drunken guy who wrote the lore they fired.

Now I'm bummed out.

Edit:

But morrowind is very primitive, with shit graphics and combat and lacks action and memorable characters. This game is only glorified by the d&d nerds with severe case of nostalgia. And yes i tried playing that, but as soon as i saw that npcs walk like they have crap in their pants or their robotic dialogue and most importantly unrealistically loud sounds of footsteps or water etc etc, i just couldn't continue playing. This game has excessive amounts of unnecessary skills and attributes, like who the hell needs luck or unarmored, it's NOT PRACTICAL. Looks like developers left their common sense at home when they were making that game. Skyrim is the massive improvement in everything which enabled Bethesda to enter the club of world class game devs. Beth failed us with morrowind and oblivion but they rehabilitated themselves with super awesome skyrim. Im not a hater, i just like the majority of gamers use common sense and logic and am not blinded by nostalgia.

primitive graphics and combat system coupled with unnecessary complicated skills and attributes, the primitive result obtained using overcomplicated calculations... Dice roll combat maybe is some complicated software process...but its primitive from gameplay standpoint

Now I remember why I joined the Codex: I hate people with a burning passion.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Quick question: Is it worth it to try and mod out the odd leveling system?

After a couple of years I decided to come back to this game with only a few mods (watercolor, assassin delay, bugfixes), but one of the main things I remember bugging me was how the leveling/attribute system worked. If it's about as good as the combat overhauls, I'll just stick to my relatively vanilla playthrough.

"Always +5" mods like Linora's keep the vanilla system but remove the need to juggle skill-ups. Galsiah's mod makes leveling seamless but it's a big difference from the original. I like BTB's leveling changes (Misc. skills don't raise with use) but the other changes are even more radical. I think it's worth using one of them because the vanilla system is GONZO

Crevice tab

Savant
Tamriel rebuilt is not that fun.
There is no connectivity with main island, even travel, which doesn't look like Morrowind general design at all. They didn't use one of the game's strongest points.
There is no overarching plot either, which is even wierder, you'd think you should have either this or that, like in Tribunal, but you get neither.

I'm no longer following Tamriel Rebuilt so closely but a lot of stuff has changed including the leave everything untouched policy. Tribunal will be fully integrated into Almalexia and possibly (almost certainly) suffer some major changes in planning. Boat travel may very well be integrated with the vanilla boat network.

That said the project is still an overly ambitious monster that's still in alpha stage. The only bit that's mostly finished finished (except for the Dres lands which are they themselves a quite huge) is exterior design. Also Necrom and the environs are far better than the old Telvanni sections.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Quick question: Is it worth it to try and mod out the odd leveling system?
I play with Galsiah's (now with some cleaned up latest version) since the day mod was released. I like how it emphasizes your character's strongest points while keeping the weaknesses.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Welp, that's two for Galsiah. I'll just go with that. I'll post back again to give my first impressions.

Puukko

Arcane
I played Morrowind for the first time a year back and it was definitely worth the praise. What I do remember vividly was this annoying sound bug that caused some enemies to have their sounds replaced with weird static and beeps. I never did figure out what caused it, it seemed like an issue with corrupted sound files or something, but Google gave me no results. I'm pretty sure the only sound altering mod I used was MGSO.
And I mean, I don't remember having to draw city maps of my own in any other game. So much time spent hopping around in Vivec.

I wonder if I'll ever be masochistic enough to actually try getting into Daggerfall though. Maybe once XL Engine comes out.

Haha.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm trying Morrowind Rebirth. It isn't perfectly made (and kills my FPS) but new dungeons are surprisingly well made and balanced. So far I finished three - a secret cult in Seyda Neen, a tower-turned-dunmer necropolis between Caldera and Balmora, and sewers turning forgotten cave system turning dwemer ruins occupied by necromancer underneath Balmora (Thousand Lanterns Way).
Sadly there is no dialogue or journal entries about that content but dungeons are fun enough to go through even without them.

First mini dungeon is a tower locked by imperial legion in the outskirts of Seyda Neen. I had to kill some smugglers and buy opening scrolls because my character didn't have Security in her skills. Tower itself is standard but well made, with necromancer's lab at the top and an entrance to basement where you find magic circle. Using it teleports you through suspicious wall into a running underground corridor with some rooms, cultists and a prison where an imperial legion soldier (also a skill trainer) is held. Perhaps it's actually a part of some imperial legion quest but he had no dialogue sadly. Enemies are strong for new character but doable, and one wears full suit of iron armor. It's a simple dungeon but very nice. Somehow reminded me of M&M.

Oh and Mentor's Ring is now guarded by a lich. Had to return later prepared.

Second dungeon I found was a castle on previously empty island in vanilla, with skeletons around. Inside there was p. standard Bethesda plot-mess of rats and killed imperial bodies, darkness and a journal about all that. Inside a chest marked "evidence" I found some magical stuff and telvanni-kind robe. Things became hot when I went downwards where skeleton bodies started to rise up and attack. Not too easy when you play mage with 7 armor from Unarmored being your best defence at level 4. Jump scares with skeletons became old quickly, but then following through forgotten tomb I opened a door to main necropolis that had at least half a hundred skeletons, often attacking at the same time. The boss was a skeleton with unique silver sword and a shield with constant albeit small mana regen. Not unbalanced and useless in combat but unique for Morrowind. I also got a robe with constant +10 Alchemy on it.

Thousand Lantern's Way was the longest dungeon. I think I spent whole evening going through it. It is as long as some Skyrim's dungeons. Morrowind generally doesn't have anything like it. It begins in (new) sewers of Balmora and has two entrances which also both serve as exits - depending which one you pick. Both are hidden underwater but mod throws you some potions in other part of the sewers. You can either go through some cultists who are all summoners capable of using atronach spells and into dwemer ruin, or swim through forgotten cave, fight some smugglers and go another way. Enemies are tough either way, I found ranged enemies attacking me from places I couldn't reach, duos of mages summoning and using absorb spells, strong melee dudes, dark tunnels with some jump scares, cool new elevators (modder even left a note on how to use them and not fall to your death because of engine clipping issues) and a few bosses. I found two amulets with +10 Conjuration constant effect, ebony staff with absorb health on hit and some robes. Overall not bad but probably even too long.

Aside from various balancing which I am so far comfortable with (except summoned creatures not filling soulgems anymore... yeaah, fix that but leave shit like Fortify Skill untouched, like it's the most broken part), Rebirth tries to make world more believable. It expands on cities, adds imperial checkpoints and forts, farms, new buildings (like windmills), shops, traders, and small details like hidden caches of loot. However the FPS hit you suffer inside new cities (grabbed from mods like Epic Balmora I believe), and the fact that it doesn't expand on dialogue and quests like LGNPC does makes value of these additions questionable. It is also not compatible with grass mod from Overhaul, although high level of detail and new content makes up for it.

Last edited:

Vernacular

Literate
Wait for open source morrowind with blade of darkness combat added.

I am really looking forward to this. Obviously the implementation of modern hardware will make a huge difference, but is also more than likely going to improve performance across the board all the way down to low end rigs. That and the list of features really is quite impressive in it's autistic commitment to detail.

implemented being able to dress corpses

Dont_ask.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
Wow, last update for Uvirith Legacy dates 2015. Sotha Sil has to wait until I fuck around with crazy quests and go all out now, turning my apprentice into a vampire and helping ancient lich ressurect his wife. Might as well replay RoTH in a different way too, 100% telvanni no mercy empire go home.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, Stuporstar is really showing us how to roll with Uvirith's Legacy. Right now game with all of its modding community best suits Telvanni gameplay, because of RoHT, UL and what's done in Tamriel Rebuilt. There are also other neat quest mods designed for mage playthrough, like Illuminated Order.

Every other nerd would like to be that immortal Telvanni archmaster, living in solitude in his muschroom citadel, playing gameee... studying magic for all ages, right there is popularity of such mods.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'd play the fuck out of theoretical Rise of House Hlaalu aka Morrowind Godfather RPG, but the amount of writing, branching (proe Empire/Dren anti-Empire) and dialogue required for it to beat Telvanni "cool factor" would be huge. Imagine owning huge plantation and running actual business, changing Morrowind loot economy into something more appropriate. That would be nice. Or becoming Cammona Tong, working for Dren in the shadows.

Pax Redoran for example is not *bad*, but it's essentialy "They're Honest 'n Shit". Some quests are fun (like Sarethi's son), but I chuckled from all the Sparta references. And no building new fortresses/attacking other houses like in RoTH.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
True, true, I'm with you on that. Something along those lines was/is in development, I think you can dig it from Morrowind Mods on BSF.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Going through Sotha Sil Expanded now. Mixed experience. The beginning is my favorite, probably because Land of Quartz and Melody.mp3 + gears is just so cool. It's basically System Shock-like made on Morrowind's engine. The rush through very light puzzles (but the trap-room maze was nice) and sewers was good. Fights with replicas of gods and heroes was not bad but linearity of it all started to bother me. At factory I ran out of patience a bit, but thankfully it was the last part before the actual Clockwork city. And well, the city itself is what is a mixed bag. It looks cool and well made but it has regular modder's problem of it's age, like in Neverwinter modules - it's too huge and gimmicky but without real content. There are 4 main quests but orienting around the city is hard, there are just too many houses. Just finding quest giver for 4 main quests was a real pain. I will need some R&R and a lot of patience to do what they ask me in that city.
I think I could be happy even without the city. The loneliness and madness of System Shock/Portal-like mazes in the beginning *was* the perfect setting for Sotha Sil.

The worst part about beginning was that developer kept respawning boring fabricants. But I guess asking for hand crafted professional combat encounters everywhere would be too much.

It took me at least whole evening and part of night to even reach to what I assume is second half of the mod, so it seems there is more than 20 hours of content in it. Just absurd amount of work went into this mod, and realisation of this makes me want to keep playing it.

However, I really want to just open console and type in something that would skip this whole tedium of Clockwork City part.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Do you catch your breath faster while eating bread?

Go 24 hours without eating RL and then do something exerting, even mildly exerting. Rest for a few minutes and try it again and see how quickly your stamina drops off.

Rest a bit, eat and a few minutes eating repeat the above two points and experience how quickly you're able to recover from even short rests.

Having dealt in the past with tight money problems meaning going long hours without food (and also lack of a means of transportation to easily get to places - and back from them with a decent load- like food banks) years ago I intimately know the two different states. Often I'd walk down to grab groceries empty stomached and barely able to get there, eat something from a place near the supermarket, wait half an hour go in buy some stuff and have the strength to carry back a few dozen pounds of food at a pace I was barely able to maintain getting there without anything on my back.

I don't know what exactly is about this biologically, but the nearest I can say is it's the mental effect of food going into you, that once your body feels something in its gut it realizes it can relax and give you a little bit extra more energy that it it was saving in reserve if you got yourself into a bind while trying to get it a snack.

I'm not saying this was an intended part of Morrowind, and actually forgot about it, but it is something that is realistic
LOLOLOLOLOLOL:rpgcodex: why would you delay that? Plus, just including that is such a spoiler. Besides, that assassisnation was awesome because you didn't see it coming. Why change something the developers intended?

The problem isn't even the first time it happens. I did what others did and sold the equipment or just left it on the corpse, the problem for me is that it keeps happening, and by the time you're up in levels, those damn assassins can be pretty damn hard to kill while you're still weak, but before you have decent weaponry and stamina to go toe to toe with them.

Tied into that, I find it stupid I have to stop the main game and take a quick trip to the expansion to make it stop.

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fuckin markers on my map dissapeared. I can only see the little squares denoting vivec's sections but nothing else. The names pop up when I mouse over them though. I think it's a UI texture mod problem since that was what I was messing with but since a few are still visible it's really got me stumped.

Edit: Hmm. It was just the discovered bits of land that got erased, I see the markers again when I visit the places. Weird.

Anyway, why the fuck isn't there a single combat sound mod? Even the popular Better Sounds mod makes no mention of combat sounds. This part of the game is in dire need of some visceral realism.

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's basically the same as the Morrowind Reborn main menu, as I found out afterward. It was my first, so I made the other.

Roid King

Educated
These are the only mods you need:

More cliff racers
Faster cliff racers
Immortal cliff racers

Everything else is casualization.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
It's basically the same as the Morrowind Reborn main menu, as I found out afterward. It was my first, so I made the other.

you have alot of room to improve but they are on the right track ;)

How has this retard alt not been banned yet?

i would appreciate it if you would act a bit more mature when replying to me ;)

also the only alt accounts i had were back in 2008 or so :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom