Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind modding thread

DraQ

Arcane
LOLOLOLOLOLOL:rpgcodex: why would you delay that?
Because it makes more sense to send elite hitmen after people of importance than ex-con bums?

Besides, that assassisnation was awesome because you didn't see it coming.
I certainly didn't see it coming that an elite assassin wearing steampunkish version of Sam Fisher gear would fail to stab a common hobo.

Why change something the developers intended?
From that single statement I can infer that you have never wrtitten a single line of code or performed any other sort of creative or otherwise skill-demanding task.
Outcome != intent.

Magicka regen mods?

Why don't you just install the "I win button" mod?
Eh. That depends on the rate of the regen. Plus, the best option for a caster is still Atronach, which means no regen.
I am reading through the fatigue mod notes...

How silly is that?
The fatigue cost comes from usage. It should not matter if something was hit or not, at all.
And, if anything, it should be missed swings that cost more, because they involve cost of recovery and having to do what would normally be the job of your target.
It would have the positive gameplay impact of increasing the cost of unskilled skill use, otherwise:
Swinging like a maniac will have your fatigue bar empty in no time.
Only if you're skilled enough to hit consistently.
If you are unskilled you can swing all day and don't get tired.
:prosper:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
That line is wrong - misses do cause you to lose stamina. I tried it out. Fought one of those worm things with a dagger and poor small-blades skill. My fatigue bar was empty before I had scored even a single hit. So it looks like the author changed it but forgot to update the description.

Photokoi

Learned
Alright I guess the assassination was a little out of place, and, yes, I have written code; I have written hello-world in java so GET AT ME! It did what I intended.:M

Me, being a major :troll:

But I understand for the most part in all seriousness. Also, I much rather play a vanilla game than use mods, that's just me though. While mods work for some games pretty well (Mount and Blade) I think they can also spoil the original content for me (graphic overhauls, and in general the removing of easter eggy bugs). Then again, I sometimes go too far, esp. in retrogaming, trying to put everything at the speed of the original INCLUDING the time it took for floppy swaps; I know, stupid thing to do to play "as the developer intended" but I get obsessive about vanilla.

EDIT: Also, this
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43375/?

Greatness

Cipher
Yeah, the watercolor mod isn't bad IMO. Much better than shit like MGSO where consistency is thrown out the window and random texture are plucked from google with no regards to the actual source material. All those super-model face replacers with anime hair in MW just make me cringe.

DraQ

Arcane
Also, I much rather play a vanilla game than use mods, that's just me though.
Me too, but there are points where the vanilla game is, beyond the shadow of doubt, just plain fucked up.

I don't think developer intended retarded AI, or exponential alchemy exploit. I don't think developer intended for certain magic effects and circinate spells to be plain useless. I don't think the developer intended soultrap glitch (that may actually occur even with vanilla enchantments - see Hort-Ledd's Robe) or pushover wizards (compared to what PC can do with spellmaker) or drain intelligence glitch, or drain/fortify attribute nuisance.

There is plenty evidence that Morrowind was rushed (fuck you very much NWN) and that even besides of that that dev team was in disarray with content creators implementing stuff like item enchantments without having a clue about effects they're using.
There are even established artifact items without their respective enchantments in game because, I presume, rushing.

Edit:
Or, take blind effect - was it really developers' intention to make it decrease affected NPCs' to-hit but improve PC's if the PC was blinded? Or was it simply an awful batch of buggy, untested code slipping into release version?

Why not fix what we know is just plain wrong?

Last edited:
I don't think developer intended retarded AI, or exponential alchemy exploit.
Which begs the question - is there any way to fix it? Mages in particular tend to act mental - spamming poison/frost bolts at argonians/nords, ignoring absorptions/reflects or simply missing their target because magic projectiles are so fucking slow.
Now, one way to fix it is giving all mages custom spells based on their level and skills which would make mages actually a sight to behold (we are talking about mortals that can potentially travel across the planes, summon any sort of weird shit or bend the forces of nature). That is, if you are an autist. But then again warriors SHOULDN'T eat mages for breakfast. My spellbook tends to be full of more debuffs than actual offensive spells, since crit from orcish barbarian combined with advanced combat leaves nothing but a pile of rotting magical turd.
Second - make projectiles move faster. Like really faster, so you can't avoid them as easily. Bonus points if you're actually trying to fight someone spamming AoE attacks.
Also: nerf restoration, it's too fucking powerful (even piss-poor punching bag as healer can be become a god for half a minute). Mostly by not allowing restoration to buff itself :smug: And limit levitation.
Just my two cents, don't mind me.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The most retarded thing about Morrowind is that if an enemy spell caster accidentally (typically if using are effect spells) hits any other NPC, all the guards in Vvardenfell will instantly turn hostile towards the player character.
So trying to make mages smarter may have retarded side effects...

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
Yeah, the watercolor mod isn't bad IMO. Much better than shit like MGSO where consistency is thrown out the window and random texture are plucked from google with no regards to the actual source material. All those super-model face replacers with anime hair in MW just make me cringe.
Oh my, a visual mod for Morrowind that doesn't look like dogshit, what sorcery is this? Will have to try that out in my next playthrough. Thanks for brining this to my attention, it looks neat.

Photokoi

Learned
LOLOLOLOLOLL!!! SO TRUE!

The combat in Morrowind is legendarily clunky.

Greatness

Cipher
So this combat overhaul mod was released a few days ago. Poor choice of a name, but it looks like it might be interesting. Whether Morrowind combat is salvageable or not, I doubt it but this might help some (in addition to MCP's quick spell casting).

• Weapon skills now affects damage dealt instead of hit chance. Both player and enemies have 100% hit chance.
  • Real-time blocking instead of auto-blocking. Increased chance for NPCs to block.
  • Health and Fatigue are now retroactive.
  • Magicka regeneration for both player and enemies.
  • Sprinting feature implemented: Increases speed while draining additional fatigue, governed by the athletics skill.
  • Charge Attacks implemented: the longer you run with your weapon ready the more devastating the hit. During that time you will lose fatigue and be twice as vulnerable to weapon damage.
  • Assassinations implemented for thieves whom perform sneak attacks with short blades.
  • Unarmed combat now damages Health without need to reduce fatigue to 0.
  • Stepping backwards reduces speed. You will no longer be able to run backwards whilst attacking your enemies without penalties.
  • Increased vulnerability and vision dimming when very low in fatigue.
  • Bulky Medium and Heavy armours penalize your sneak skill.
  • Various GMST tweaks to increase game difficulty.

Athelas

Arcane
Who could have ever imagined a game could be improved by making it more like Oblivion?

DraQ

Arcane
Now, one way to fix it is giving all mages custom spells based on their level and skills which would make mages actually a sight to behold (we are talking about mortals that can potentially travel across the planes, summon any sort of weird shit or bend the forces of nature).
That's pretty much a must-have. Besides, why should only the player be able to use custom spells and all the other, often centuries old wizards be stuck with shitty circinate ones?

My spellbook tends to be full of more debuffs than actual offensive spells, since crit from orcish barbarian combined with advanced combat leaves nothing but a pile of rotting magical turd.
There is also the fact that there aren't as many different things you can do with actual offensive spells - a bunch of point and AoE variants, some resistance piercers, a drain health based instakill or two, maybe some DoT and that's it.

OTOH with disablers and all sorts of creative hybrid spells the possibilities are endless.

Second - make projectiles move faster. Like really faster, so you can't avoid them as easily.
There is an exposed variable governing each magic effect's speed. No idea if it actually works and if it's used for leading the target as well.
Also: nerf restoration, it's too fucking powerful (even piss-poor punching bag as healer can be become a god for half a minute). Mostly by not allowing restoration to buff itself :smug: And limit levitation.
Just my two cents, don't mind me.
Levitation could be limited in many ways, depending on how deep into mechanics we can reach.
You could make it dispel on action like invisibility, you could make the magnitude affect max clearance between character and ground (maybe integrate slowfall with levitation too), you could block actions when levitating. You could apply falling air control to movement while levitating. One thing I was incredibly butthurt about in Skyrim was that concentration spells would make a perfect way to reimplement levitation.

Restoration should lose all the fortify skill spells it didn't have prior to expansions (effects existed for use in items and the like but player couldn't access them), plus a lot of buffs should be moved over. If it doesn't restore something, it shouldn't be in restoration. Maybe move dispel and turn undead to restoration to compensate as they restore natural order in some way. In general spells could use some rearrangements. Resistance modifying spells should be moved from des/res to alt. Night eye and paralysis (maybe silence too) should be moved from ilu to alt.
The main problem I see here is that in the end Alteration could become the new master of all trades spell school and some schools could suffer from too much nerfing.

There really isn't any way to fix it. The enemy AI for casters has some fundamental hardcoded problems, such as that it will always cast the highest mana cost spell that it has regardless of the situation.
There is a lot of stuff you can script around. For example you could probably dynamically add or remove spells from AI caster's spellbook based on situation effectively allowing for selective enabling/disabling of spells. At the very least removal of spells ineffective against player's race should be doable.

Besides, I'm pretty certain there is some rudimentary situational casting AI in game - for example some enemies cast dispel on self, but only if debuffed.

Maybe with openMW some modder out there will go about revamping the AI and combat engine
And that's definitely a possibility since pretty much anyone able and willing can do that.

Weapon skills now affects damage dealt instead of hit chance. Both player and enemies have 100% hit chance.
I've always dreamt of a combat system where combatants' skills magically affected the weight and sharpness of their weapons rather than their ability to land blows on each other.

No, seriously.

granit

Scholar
Only mods allowed are Ass-ASS-in-removal and bugfix! I heard someone modded away Cliffracers, that made me cry. You mod away goombas in super mario too? Where will it end?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Only mods allowed are Ass-ASS-in-removal and bugfix! I heard someone modded away Cliffracers, that made me cry. You mod away goombas in super mario too? Where will it end?
I installed a mod that made Cliff Racers non-aggressive after hundreds of hours of bashing their heads in. As if their aggressiveness or screeches weren't enough, their flying movement is just terrible - often they stop in the air, unable to get down to you until you move some distance away. Even levitating up to the bastards and strangling them gets old after a while.

Still, I would never want to remove them from the game. Vvardenfell is their home, you are the intruding vermin there. #savethecliffracers

Shadenuat

Arcane
Anyone actually played that hueg Tamriel Rebuit? Are there actual interesting quests or dungeons to go through there?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom