Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind, looking back, is at best a 4/10 game.

ThatsRightImInIt

Educated
It's true. I wasted an estimated 400~ hours of my life on this game in my senior year of college back a decade or so ago, and I'm sorry but the game just isn't good at all. Combat isn't satisfying, and yes I know how to play the game and not miss, but that doesn't excuse it for being so poor. I haven't played the game in around 8-10 years and I've forgotten most item places, but somehow I am only a level 2 mage and I'm wrecking the fuck out of anyone in my way with custom spells. I've also accumulated 4329 gold in around 3 hours play time, and I have full Indoril, the best medium armor set in the game. This is a problem.

Don't get me wrong, I like walking in my RPG's and exploring; but with Morrowind there isn't a whole lot to explore. Enemy variety is mediocre at best, and dungeon layout isn't any better. 90% of dungeons have utter garbage loot, uninteresting layout and have no purpose. Don't get me started on the dialogue. Most NPCs have no reason to exist, because they all spout the same damn lines. Bethesda should have just made the NPCs like regular CRPG villagers: they'll say a prerecorded line of dialogue, and that's it. Another ridiculous issue I've run into is the fact that I can join any faction in the game, even if they hate each other, just by bribing the individuals that I have to talk to. FFS I can be a member of the mages guild AND Telvani, two factions that are huge rivals, just because I have money. At least they got the houses right, you can't join House Hlaalu and House Redoran for example.

Well this game is semi-playable I guess, unlike modern Beth RPGs. I'd much rather play Planescape Torment, Fallout 1/2, or other CRPG any other day of the week...

Kuhrazy

Educated
Everything that has ever been created in every field of human endeavor has been nothing but utterly overrated garbage that appeals exclusively to retards, so I don't see why Morrowind would be any different.

The OP is probably trolling, but I still have to agree. Never understood how Morrowind wound up in the top 10 in that last poll. It's just so flawed in so many ways. I've played through some very old games, and some very flawed games, but I can never play past a few hours of MW. I mean, I get it, it has great lore (never played long enough myself to see it), but is that enough to excuse everything else?

All the games in the top list are flawed, the ideal perfect rpg only exists in our hearts. Plus the Codex has a hardon for "rough gems", and Morrowind is one of the roughest around.

No he's right, it's shit.

"he"

200.gif

the fuck is wrong with codex lately? all those newfags from neogaf or leddit with their idiotic threads...

next time some newfag to fallout series will ask us which game should he start with and someone tells him to skip first two and start with fallout 3 :M

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Never understood how Morrowind wound up in the top 10 in that last poll.
TES3 was the last Beth sandbox that: a) was made for PC, b) had an interesting (sub)setting and c) didn't punish you for your playstyle. Anyone who wants to rate it low should first name a better open-world CRPG.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Never understood how Morrowind wound up in the top 10 in that last poll.
Newfags.

Let me quote the Codex 2003 year in review, by good ol' Spazmo:
It's the same old hopelessly dull Morrowind gameplay. You run around fairly pretty countryside beating the tar out of hordes of stupid cliff racers doing completely pointless quests that involve murdering people for no real reason and occasionally 'talking' to the walking search engines the game calls NPCs. Morrowind is a terrible game and the expansions for it don't seem to fix any of that horror.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom