Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind defiling continues - Skywind

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Remember that project to convert BG2 to DA:O engine, it reminds me of this how utterly pointless it all is. With all that effort they could have done something new and original, instead all that work is wasted on creating slightly better looking old game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't get it. What's the point of all of this ? Sure it's great work but it brings nothing. I doubt more people would be tempted by the game. Morrowind is unique, not even a graph mod can grasp its true essence/spirit. My point is you wanna discover the game ? Then go and buy it, try it out. Mod it later according to your own tastes but don't wait for that 'skywind' hack to come out.

The point is some people think Skyrim has much better gameplay, and want to combine that better gameplay with Morrowind's world and story. That the prestigious RPG Codex disagrees is not surprising, but that's their reasoning.

Gord

Arcane
Well, some of the landscapes they showed there did look quite good.
Too bad they will likely scratch everything and move on to Morroweyr or Summerwind or whatever before they manage to finish it.

Also makes me wonder what they could do with OpenMW if that ever actually comes out.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The point is some people think Skyrim has much better gameplay, and want to combine that better gameplay with Morrowind's world and story. That the prestigious RPG Codex disagrees is not surprising, but that's their reasoning.
This. Hate to break it to you, chums. But as much as I like Morrowind (and as much as I think DalekFlay has shitty opinions when it comes to games); he's right on this one. Morrowind's combat is pretty atrocious. And I don't know why animu fag face avatar is freaking out... it's not like this is any different than people spending thousands of man hours on Morrowind Graphics Overhaul/MGE/Whatever.

Lemming42

Arcane
Half the fun in Morrowind was breaking it, Skyrim doesn't hold the same appeal in that regard.

Also, I'm one of the 0.01 people who actually think Morrowind looks better with the right visual mods, but I seriously think everyone should play through the game with no visual mods at all at least once, just to see the game as the devs intended it. Skywind would be p cool in invoking the "OH MAN IT'S THAT ONE PLACE I REMEMBER FROM WHEN I PLAYED MORROWIND 90 YEARS AGO, BUT NOW ITS IN HD!" feeling, but I imagine anyone who's never played Morrowind going straight to this mod will have their perception of Morrowind irreparably broken forever.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This. Hate to break it to you, chums. But as much as I like Morrowind (and as much as I think DalekFlay has shitty opinions when it comes to games); he's right on this one. Morrowind's combat is pretty atrocious.
I don't think DalekFlay was speaking about himself when he said that some people think Skyrim has much better gameplay. He was most likely refering to the millions-large playerbase that would never venture into Codex lands.

As for Morrowind's combat being atrocious - punching dudes in the face feels much less rigid and clunky in Skyrim, for sure. But taking Morrowind's combat system out of it's context and comparing it to Skyrim is making the game a disservice, I think. If you look at the bigger picture, you can pick up any weapon and be competitive in Skyrim regardless of skill level, while a good skill level is needed to properly use different weapons in Morrowind. So in terms of RPG combat, Morrowind is definitely the better one.

And I don't know why animu fag face avatar is freaking out... it's not like this is any different than people spending thousands of man hours on Morrowind Graphics Overhaul/MGE/Whatever.
The mods you list polish the graphics of Morrowind. Skywind attempts to re-create Morrowind in Skyrim (and has obviously taken many, many more man-hours already). Do you honestly not see the difference?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This. Hate to break it to you, chums. But as much as I like Morrowind (and as much as I think DalekFlay has shitty opinions when it comes to games); he's right on this one. Morrowind's combat is pretty atrocious. And I don't know why animu fag face avatar is freaking out... it's not like this is any different than people spending thousands of man hours on Morrowind Graphics Overhaul/MGE/Whatever.

Wasn't talking about myself.

And fuck you for bashing Morrowind, our lord and savior.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The mods you list polish the graphics of Morrowind. Skywind attempts to re-create Morrowind in Skyrim (and has obviously taken many, many more man-hours already). Do you honestly not see the difference?
The difference is Skywind will probably be better assuming they faithfully adopt most of the mechanical systems in Morrowind. That includes a combat system that takes into account weapon proficiency/lack thereof.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Glancing blows? Probably can't replicate 'misses' but I'm sure there's some way to program in reduced damage modifiers.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The last thing I want from Morrowind is air swords

Was thinking more along the line of attributes and skills + magic + enchant system

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The last thing anyone wants from Morrwind is its shitty character system given how widespread leveling mods are for it. If you just mean skills/attributes in general, sure. Just look at the existing gameplay overhaul mods for Skyrim. As far as Spellmaking and enchanting... they had it in Oblivion (ability to make stupidly overpowered spells) so I'm not sure why it can't be modded into Skyrim.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
People are just retarded, all those Morrowind leveling mods are fucking terrible

As far as Spellmaking and enchanting... they had it in Oblivion (ability to make stupidly overpowered spells) so I'm not sure why it can't be modded into Skyrim.
Didn't Oblivion have that vanilla? To implement it into Skyrim might be possible since there are many mods that add new spells, but it sounds like a scripting nightmare

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Probably is but you know these Morrowind disciples are fanatical. Anyway, given how horribly overpowered it was in prior ES games I don't think its lack of inclusion would be any great loss. Stack/abuse potions to kill what's his face under Ebonheart (or w/e he is), loot Lord's Mail at level 1, sell for tens of thousands of gold, craft yourself godlike spells, game over. Yeah, I get that's part of the charm but from a balance perspective it's moronic.

There are mods that add oldskool spellmaking, enchanting and stats to Skyrim. I haven't tried them yet because frankly getting rid of those was a step in the right direction for Skyrim. I feel TES is at its best when it isn't pretending to be a RPG.

People are just retarded, all those Morrowind leveling mods are fucking terrible

If only they could approach the majesty of the vanilla system.

HZKSZY.gif

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
if only they fixed instead of creating another flavour of bad. Hopping is (or feels) faster than walking anyway

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The fix is simple: traditional xp system that is used in countless rpgs. Unfortunately TES series has to focus on E-Larping so they feel obligated to stick to the 'grow by doing' system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom