Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

More Kickstarter abuse

Destroid

Arcane
Problem: Kickstarter takes 5% and Amazon takes 5% of every pledge.

If he donates $1,000,000 of his own money he'll loose $100,000 off the top.

Doesn't Kickstarter have a nice model? At this point effectively $65,000 of what's been donated to Wasteland 2 goes to them for doing exactly jack shit.

The percentages are pretty fuck up.

MCA
Fat fuck won $42M and is still being a fucking moron wasting time with MMO bullshit instead of joining a gym and then travelling the world. Some people are just too fucking stupid for their own good.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Doesn't Kickstarter have a nice model? At this point effectively $65,000 of what's been donated to Wasteland 2 goes to them for doing exactly jack shit.

Well, they make a lot more sense when you're talking about what they were initially dealing with. All these 100k+ kickstarters weren't really part of the initial vision AFAICT. It was more designed for stuff between 500 - 20k $, and 5% of those makes a lot more sense, with donations of around a few bucks per donator the handling fees become a lot more significant than when donations are like 1000$ each for a significant portion.

Kraszu

Prophet
But why Amazon? Doesn't kickstarter take some % from them as well? 5% is just ridiculous for using amazon payments.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Well, they make a lot more sense when you're talking about what they were initially dealing with. All these 100k+ kickstarters weren't really part of the initial vision AFAICT. It was more designed for stuff between 500 - 20k $, and 5% of those makes a lot more sense, with donations of around a few bucks per donator the handling fees become a lot more significant than when donations are like 1000$ each for a significant portion.
This is a opportunity for real fucking banks to ASSUME CONTROL and use their political puppets to terminate with extreme prejudice

Johannes

Arcane
Fat fuck won $42M and is still being a fucking moron wasting time with MMO bullshit instead of joining a gym and then travelling the world. Some people are just too fucking stupid for their own good.

http://www.baltimorestyle.com/index.php/style/people/p_life_lesson_bunky_bartlett_ma09/
In September 2007, he won roughly $27 million (after taxes), thanks to a winning Mega Millions ticket purchased at a Parkville liquor store. Since then, Bartlett, a Wiccan high priest, has quit his job, bought seven new cars, vacationed in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, and become part-owner of Mystickal Voyage, the New Age gift shop and holistic center in White Marsh where he teaches classes on Wicca and Reiki. He and his family also have moved from their 2,000-square-foot house in Dundalk to a 5,000-square-foot house on 23 acres in Westminster.

>Before we won, we never traveled anywhere. I was lucky if I left Maryland. Did I take vacations? Sure. What did I do? Stayed home with the kids and played video games. Now we travel.

>An average day for me: play some video games, do some business— check investments, talk to the office, send e-mails, handle any fires that may come up. In the last year, I’ve bought about 10 properties.
>There’s a local carryout restaurant in Dundalk that we love called Mustang Pizza and Subs. We’re going to open one in Westminster, mainly so we can have delivery at our house. If it makes money, all the better.

>When the jackpot gets over $100 million, I go out and spend $10 on lottery tickets. I could win again. I probably will. What I expect is what will happen. I will win again.

Oh and
Ellwood Bartlett about 11 hours ago
Just FYI they don't allow you to donate on your own projects.

Atomic

Augur
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
People here should ask for gay romance, trannies and Bioware style dialogues

Johannes

Arcane

Stabwound

Arcane
Lol at this fucking moron. He's going to be like the countless other idiots that end up flat broke. That last quote says it all "I still buy lottery tickets."

HURRRR.

MCA

http://www.baltimorestyle.com/index.php/style/people/p_life_lesson_bunky_bartlett_ma09/
In September 2007, he won roughly $27 million (after taxes), thanks to a winning Mega Millions ticket purchased at a Parkville liquor store. Since then, Bartlett, a Wiccan high priest, has quit his job, bought seven new cars, vacationed in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, and become part-owner of Mystickal Voyage, the New Age gift shop and holistic center in White Marsh where he teaches classes on Wicca and Reiki. He and his family also have moved from their 2,000-square-foot house in Dundalk to a 5,000-square-foot house on 23 acres in Westminster.

>Before we won, we never traveled anywhere. I was lucky if I left Maryland. Did I take vacations? Sure. What did I do? Stayed home with the kids and played video games. Now we travel.

>An average day for me: play some video games, do some business— check investments, talk to the office, send e-mails, handle any fires that may come up. In the last year, I’ve bought about 10 properties.
>There’s a local carryout restaurant in Dundalk that we love called Mustang Pizza and Subs. We’re going to open one in Westminster, mainly so we can have delivery at our house. If it makes money, all the better.

>When the jackpot gets over $100 million, I go out and spend $10 on lottery tickets. I could win again. I probably will. What I expect is what will happen. I will win again.

Oh and
Ellwood Bartlett about 11 hours ago
Just FYI they don't allow you to donate on your own projects.

The gym, mang. He still needs to hit the gym before dying of something-something that obese people tend to die from.

Atomic

Augur
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
People here should ask for gay romance, trannies and Bioware style dialogues

FAQ said:
Will we be able to marry in this game?
Yes you will and we will not restrict who you can marry. You may even be able to have children and raise them to be avatars you will play as. If you are a same sex couple you will be able to adopt.

Also I'm tempted to get the sound track, only for 5k.

What about tastefully done rape?

and for whatever reasons, he has 8 tier at 10000$ with cumulative rewards ?!?

Damned Registrations

Also, I'm pretty sure you can change your pledge (including backing out) right up until the deadline. So only retards could possibly lose money to this guy.

Can you set it to $0.00 a couple hours before the deadline?
  1. Can I cancel a pledge?

By pledging, you are committing to supporting that person’s project; canceling that commitment is discouraged. If you must cancel, visit the project page and click “Manage Your Pledge.” At the bottom of the next page you’ll see the “Cancel Pledge” button.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Hmmm, I remember reading that you can cancel it at the checkout section. I figured there was a catch but they didn't explicitly say it in that part.

FAQ says that? "Discouraged" could mean a lot of things.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
This is one of the races that the game will include:

image-99931-full.jpg

image-99928-full.jpg

Damned Registrations

Hmmm, I remember reading that you can cancel it at the checkout section. I figured there was a catch but they didn't explicitly say it in that part.

FAQ says that? "Discouraged" could mean a lot of things.

Pretty sure it just means 'You're a dick if you do this.' Which is true. Particularly if you were a large chunk of the donations and just faking it. If there's a kickstarter for someone to, for example, buy a new 400$ drawing tablet to make their webcomic, and you put up 80% of the cost then cancel it at the last minute, you've fucked them, since the pledge total will probably drop below the target and they'll get nothing, when they might have gotten enough if you'd done nothing at all. Especially if your fake pledge took up some sort of limited reward another person might have pledged to get.

I suppose there could be some sort of cancelling fee or something, but it seems unlikely, since they can apparently take the wrong info to begin with and have your pledge simply not go through at the deadline, at which point you have 7 days to give them the right info or they give up on it.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On the other hand, it's a viable strategy to discredit all of kickstarter for any publisher that want it.

Hell, they won't even disclose who backed out.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
rhinocchio said:
I'm sorry, i have 9 years experience in the game industry. All MMOs starting with ultima online and going thru the likes of, Dark age of Camelot, Warhammer online, Dungeon runners, wizard 101 and others. I'm sorry if i seem harsh i really know you probably mean well. But you say you are talking to designers. but in your posts and reward tiers you are already spouting out tons on the design of the game. It seems you have already designed this in your head and it just seems like a loose string of things you thought of off the top of your head. I just dont want to see poor people who know little about this industry lose their money because they believe this is going to happen.
It does not matter to you because you are already crazy rich. but anyone who puts any significant amount of money in this project is likely to lose it. because at the last second you can afford to buy out the rest of the kickstarter and take any amount of money that has been bid. (if it gets high enough to cover the kickstarter and amazon fees that is)
I am fully confident that even if you got the full million of the goal. and even if you put your 50 million or whatever in it. there is next to zero percent chance you will ever release this game, and if you did it would not be anywhere near the crazy high goals you have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom