Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

More Kickstarter abuse

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Web 2.0 - enabling sharks to jump faster than ever before

http://kotaku.com/5892917/millionaire-wants-your-million-dollars-to-make-his-first-game
original.jpg
BY JASON SCHREIER
Millionaire Wants Your Million Dollars To Make His First Game
Meet Ellwood "Bunky" Bartlett. He's a practicing Wiccan, a retired accountant, and the winner of Maryland's Mega Millions jackpot, which netted him $42 million back in 2007.
He also wants your money to help make a game. Using crowdfunding site Kickstarter, Bartlett is asking for $1.1 million to create Your World, a massively multiplayer online game "built by gamers for gamers funded by gamers."
Described as "all of the good things in Second Life, World of Warcraft, Rift, Star Wars: The Old Republic and the like all rolled up into one game," Bartlett's Kickstarter project has been the object of much derision on Twitter today, where some have mocked its lofty goals and error-riddled language. There's no concept art or even much explanation as to how the game will run. It only promises to be "nothing like what is out there."
But if Bartlett is a millionaire, why does he need Kickstarter? I tracked him down to find out.
"A smart investor has partners," Bartlett told me in an e-mail. "I will be investing as well. This also helps me to see if there is actual interest in the type of game I am proposing."
medium.png
As of this afternoon, Ellwood Bartlett's Kickstarter page had earned $1 of its $1.1 million goal.
I asked if he's ever worked in game development before.
"I have not, but I never owned an investment company or a pizza shop before, but I do now," Bartlett said. "I am the idea man. I think it, get other investors, and hire the right people to make it happen. Been playing games since Pong. I know what I like and what others have said they would like. I will hire those needed to make it a reality."
Bartlett is certainly enthusiastic about this project. His ideas might not be fully formulated, but you can feel the passion and excitement in the description on his Kickstarter page:
[N]o this race against that race. We will be a world of cooperation. We will work together to create a place we all will love. We will still be able to battle each other in Olympic type games, but we will not pit one race against another. We will still have outside forces for us to join together to defeat, but we will not be killing each other. You will surrender to your Victor, but not die. Only the outside forces will be able to kill you and do damage to your equipment.
I hope you will fund this game so we all can have a game we will play for years to come!
Of course, the chances of a first-time game producer hitting a milestone like $1.1 million in 50 days are extraordinarily slim.
Almost as slim as winning the lottery.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
... he has $20.000 already. Which idiot saw that article and had the thought "... yup. Seems legit."

The world is doomed.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I doubt he makes the 1.1M needed to actually charge the retards.

If he does, then the world is really doomed.

Stabwound

Arcane
Those are troll donations by the way.

The great people at Idle Thumbs, who had their own Kickstarter and received $125,000 were cool enough to fuck with their donators money and put in a joke $10,000 pledge. They get the money back if it isn't fully funded, but it's a nice and irresponsible way to fuck with people that backed them.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120873716/your-world/backers

Stabwound

Arcane
How the hell do you troll someone by pledging money?
He won't get the money. Unless he miraculously gets the full million, which he won't.

It's like people who put ridiculous things on eBay and people make false bids like $1,000,000 on it just to screw with it.

Marobug

"Using state of the art game development technology like Windows and RPG Maker 2003"

I'M SOLD

Eyeball

Arcane

The great people at Idle Thumbs, who had their own Kickstarter and received $125,000 were cool enough to fuck with their donators money and put in a joke $10,000 pledge. They get the money back if it isn't fully funded, but it's a nice and irresponsible way to fuck with people that backed them.

Um....correct me if I'm wrong, but can't he just donate a million to his own kickstarter account, thereby grabbing your fucking money and effectively countertrolling your ass?

Grimlorn

Arcane
If I won something like 40 million I might see about investing some into an Obsidian game. As long as it was a good one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Um....correct me if I'm wrong, but can't he just donate a million to his own kickstarter account, thereby grabbing your fucking money and effectively countertrolling your ass?

:hmmm::rage:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Can one legally be forced to honour their pledge. Whose going to track down all the people who, say, donated a hunded or elss. Or woudl they just go after the bigger donaters? Hmmm...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
He should pledge a million dollars himself and just walk away with the 20k he just earned.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can one legally be forced to honour their pledge. Whose going to track down all the people who, say, donated a hunded or elss. Or woudl they just go after the bigger donaters? Hmmm...
They charge your card when it's over, and I think the amount is blocked until then.

Stabwound

Arcane
Problem: Kickstarter takes 5% and Amazon takes 5% of every pledge.

If he donates $1,000,000 of his own money he'll loose $100,000 off the top.

Doesn't Kickstarter have a nice model? At this point effectively $65,000 of what's been donated to Wasteland 2 goes to them for doing exactly jack shit.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Also, I'm pretty sure you can change your pledge (including backing out) right up until the deadline. So only retards could possibly lose money to this guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom