Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info More Diablo III info

Dire Roach

Prophet
Class change? After I spent god knows how many months trying to convince myself that my perfectly planned bonermancer build doesn't suck? Pfft. I'd rather rub my balls with a cheese grater.

almondblight

Arcane
Respec will be pretty cool if it's something like everytime you level. No more hoarding points early, you get to actually use them and some low level skills before you get your build setup. Seeing how many people get rushed or get supa weapons early on to work their way up to a fun build, respec makes a hell of a lot of sense in terms of getting rid of mindless grinding. Except for "hardcore" players who think we're lazy for not working for our videogames.

Eron

Novice
You guys don't get it do ya..?

If you can simply respect it completely nullifies the purpose of the damn game.. Temple of Apshai had no respec folks. Nor did Telengard, nor do any rogue likes, nor does D&D, nor does just about any game thats serious about character development and skill usefullness.

aboyd

Liturgist
Eron, you're not right. D&D does allow respec'ing, and I even provided an example a few comments before yours.

aboyd

Liturgist
Eron, let me reduce your time spent hunting through the books. Over the weekend, I had to do this very thing for a badly made cohort I recruited. Here you go:

Player's Handbook said:
Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered sorcerer level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a sorcerer can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the sorcerer "loses" the old spell in exchange for the old one.
For example, in NWN2, you could use that feature to legally, fairly swap out Qara's fireball spells and turn her into a much less annoying NPC.

Player's Handbook 2 said:
For players and DMs who are accustomed to treating character creation and advancement decisions as permanent, the idea of character revision can seem strange or daunting -- and some might even think of it as a form of cheating. Such reactions are natural, but if you think about it, normal people "revise" their abilities all the time. Skills you learn early in life are forgotten as new talents supplant them. For example, a foreign language mastered in high school might be virtually forgotten only a years later from disuse.

Player's Handbook 2 said:
Six different character aspects (see Table 8-1) can be changed through retraining. Each time your character attains a new level, you can select one (and only one) of these options. For instance, you can't change a feat selection and your spells known at the time.
Table 8-1 lists feats, languages, skills, spells, substitution levels, and class features as the 6 options that can be swapped.

Anyway, I wouldn't argue in favor of fully free respec at any time. But the D&D stuff is pretty OK for balance.

Shannow

Waster of Time
aboyd said:
WTH is up with KC owning all of you with logic and pointed sarcasm? I don't think I've seen that before.
+1

What next? Will Hell freeze over?

(Hey, frozen Hell for D3 isn't a bad idea...)

Black

Arcane
Respeccing is a good idea. I can't be bothered to get to max lvl and find out that my build sucks and that I'll have to change it.
Same goes for Guild Wars- if not for respeccing it'd be shit.
"O' look at mah build, it totally pwnzors"
And after numerous game balances.
"wat"

Anyway, elite players won't have to worry because you have to know HOW to use your build, mirite?

Ghoulem

Erudite
Man, instead of watching telly, playing Transport Tycoon and reading books I'm going to respec my whole childhood so I was pumping fucking raw steel and beat the hell out of the moron who invented this whole respeccing thing.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Respeccing is a great idea in action RPGs. Bugger it, I can't be bothered to grind my way through the exact same game twice to try a different skill tree. It's not that compelling an experience, sorry.

The real problem is the skill tree doesn't allow you to "try before you buy". Not without gimping yourself. I prefer WoW's concept, where you got most of the skills as part and parcel of leveling, but the talent points upgraded those skills and opened up a few more specialized versions. So I can at least try Frost Nova before I decide I want to be a Fire specced Mage or whatever.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Black said:
Respeccing is a good idea. I can't be bothered to get to max lvl and find out
"O' look at mah build, it totally pwnzors"
And after numerous game balances.
"wat"
That's the thing right there, some games that go through large balancing patches would be a fucked over without Respeccing.

MisterStone

Arcane
What if you could respec, but then you'd have to practice the new skill set to get it up to maximum for your current level? For instance you drop your level 50 "fire beam" spell and get level 50 "ice beam", but it effectively only functions at level 25 at first until you practice it a bit through gameplay?

Meh, it all amounts to the same thing: how much grinding do you want to repeat in order to try a new skill set? Some, or all? I hope that they at least have an option for turning it off for competitive play or something... let people decide for themselves, I say.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Volourn said:
It's the cowardly pussy's way of playing games.
Damn straight. Real men stick to their choices and grind their way to perfection, no matter how long it might take and how boring it might be. What do those respec-loving pansies think this is, a casual game?!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Real men stick to their choices and grind their way to perfection"

Real women too. Stop being sexist.

Black

Arcane
Oh, good. If Volourn says respeccing is bad then it must mean it's actually good.
My work here is done.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
http://www.gamespot.com/video/930659/61 ... art-panel-
Boyarsky's talking.

"We're combining art and lore to expand and deepen player's experience of the world. We want to give a player deeper, more engaging experience and basically... y'know make it more emotional and thoughful as you crash demons and whatnot."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom