Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mooncrest, an INCLUSIVE new action RPG from ex-Bioware devs - Cancelled

Tom Selleck

Arcane
What was up with that video?
We wanted to do something different from the standard documentary style video and not rehash our campaign. Our intention was to poke fun at ourselves and we thought a different style of video would set us apart from other Kickstarters. Well, it certainly set us apart, but not in the way we intended. We understand that if this is the only thing that people see it’s not setting a good first impression. Because of this, we have decided to remove it. And just for the record we are not a bunch of creepers!

What didn’t you show in-game footage?
This was a tough call. We’re already developing Mooncrest on a razor thin budget and we didn’t want to absorb development costs on assets that would most likely just get tossed. Plus, we didn’t want to set expectations for final aesthetics of the game when we would still have many polish phases to go through.

Additionally, Mooncrest was technically already created as Twilight–a mod for Neverwinter Nights by our founder Rick Burton. Not only is Twilight fully playable, it landed Rick a full time job at BioWare, received a lot of critical acclaim, spawned a popular sequel in Midnight, and is still beloved by fans. That’s the blueprint we are working from. A lot of the shortcomings in Twilight will be addressed in Mooncrest since we have over 10 years of feedback available to us and of course we’ll be adding our own flourishes here and there to make a better experience.

If you have a copy of Neverwinter Nights and you want to try Twilight, you can download it for free from The Neverwinter Vault.

No... really? What was up with that video?
Ugh. We know we know. We’re working on creating a new one which is causing delays in updates. We apologize and thank you for your patience. Rest assured, the video has been cast into the fire along with the One Ring.

What is the average air velocity of an unladen swallow?
An African or European swallow?

FUCKING LOLS BROS SO RANDOM LOL RANDOM WHO CAME UP WITH THAT JOKE IT'S LIKE A FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION LOLOLOLOLOLOL MONTELL PYTHON JOKES FOR THE WIN THE CAKE IS A LIE

Caconym

Augur
Comment section:
Really, my only issue is I wish the girls in the video didn't look like models, and looked more "real", not there is a specific standard, but it seems that the gaming industry always chooses pretty, thin model-like girls in any and all promotions, on air interviews etc etc
Geek girl insecurity (or SJW fidelity?) at its finest.
News at 11: pretty girls are better to look at than the alternative.

Although, truth be told, based on the design of the two women protagonist of the game, I kinda half-expected to see the incloosiveness to run more wildly with the casting of the video too.

rxAQuVo.jpg

EWWW!!!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Look like models"? They obviously were models that they'd hired.

I hope somebody saved the video.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
And if one of them was black then it'd be tokenism..

I wonder how long it takes people to figure out you simply can't win when trying to appeal to feminists.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I've just went and watched again.

Those four goofs working in complete silence on a game store table, the blonde perving on the short girl, it's all so amazing. :lol:

All the looks on them too, I get the idea is that they're getting the game concepts from the chicks but you kinda expect one of them to elbow the other and go

mvR8qDp.gif

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
My favorite part of the latest question and answer is in the spoiler...

Additionally, Mooncrest was technically already created as Twilight–a mod for Neverwinter Nights by our founder Rick Burton. Not only is Twilight fully playable, it landed Rick a full time job at BioWare, received a lot of critical acclaim, spawned a popular sequel in Midnight, and is still beloved by fans. That’s the blueprint we are working from. A lot of the shortcomings in Twilight will be addressed in Mooncrest since we have over 10 years of feedback available to us and of course we’ll be adding our own flourishes here and there to make a better experience.

If you have a copy of Neverwinter Nights and you want to try Twilight, you can download it for free from The Neverwinter Vault.

They want to recreate a mod for NWN into a full game and hopes to sell it. My question is why pay for Mooncrest when you can actually play the mod for free regardless of whatever defects are perceived? Can't they come up with something new and original?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
What was up with that video?
We wanted to do something different from the standard documentary style video and not rehash our campaign. Our intention was to poke fun at ourselves and we thought a different style of video would set us apart from other Kickstarters. Well, it certainly set us apart, but not in the way we intended. We understand that if this is the only thing that people see it’s not setting a good first impression. Because of this, we have decided to remove it. And just for the record we are not a bunch of creepers!

What didn’t you show in-game footage?
This was a tough call. We’re already developing Mooncrest on a razor thin budget and we didn’t want to absorb development costs on assets that would most likely just get tossed. Plus, we didn’t want to set expectations for final aesthetics of the game when we would still have many polish phases to go through.

No... really? What was up with that video?
Ugh. We know we know. We’re working on creating a new one which is causing delays in updates. We apologize and thank you for your patience. Rest assured, the video has been cast into the fire along with the One Ring.

What is the average air velocity of an unladen swallow?
An African or European swallow?

FUCKING LOLS BROS SO RANDOM LOL RANDOM WHO CAME UP WITH THAT JOKE IT'S LIKE A FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION LOLOLOLOLOLOL MONTELL PYTHON JOKES FOR THE WIN THE CAKE IS A LIE

Cringe worthyness aside.. The video reveals that they are obviously trying to pander to some kind of SJW crowd. As if I need to throw money at a team of cucked manlings.
I don't care if the story naturally called for female protagonists or whatever - the fact you tried to throw that in our face to get shekals..

"Oh I just want a strong female character" - Some Actress who has never played games

Fuck off

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Thanks to videos like that, the social status of Game developer will decline further. Coming from weird geeks, now I guess it dropped down to the level of filthy sexual perverts. Thank you Ex-Bioware employees ! (but in future, please keep your private lesbian romances away from games, at least in public)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Thanks to videos like that, the social status of Game developer will decline further. Coming from weird geeks, now I guess it dropped down to the level of filthy sexual perverts. Thank you Ex-Bioware employees ! (but in future, please keep your private lesbian romances away from games, at least in public)

So evil.. Even Hell spat them back out..

Darkzone

Arcane
I do not like forum doxxing, because here in forum or in any other forum we are saying very fast things that we can later regret, and therefore i think that the moto should be the same as: What happens in Las Vegas, stays in Las Vegas. There is a border between investigative journalism and forum doxxing, and i think that in that case this was crossed. The information about the social status on the family is on the other hand investigative journalism, in my opinion.

She quit the Codex before brofists were enabled. Either because of her stalker or because she got allergic to rape jokes.
Thank you for the information, but i just wanted to point out that without any information why a person famous it is kind of odd to that point out. You know like a talk between a blind person and a deaf and dumb person. About rape jokes... not my kind of humor, so i can understand why she has left.
Black humor jokes should be always from the perspective of the victim where the victim can laugh about something, and most of the rape jokes are as funny as an axe in the head and they simply lack the finesse.

A sisterhood literature, in which personal desires and problems of the author are worked out. Not my kind, but i think that there certainly is a maket for such a thing.

But overall your statement was that my generalisation "that female feminist do not play RPGs" is not correct. Which is a true statement. There are very small numbers of female feminists that play RPGs, like there is a large portion of male fedora manginas that do play cRPG. RPGs and western cRPG have been always more on the progressive side, even more than most would admit. cRPG have mostly 75%-85% male audience, and in the remaining 25%-15% female audience there are certainly some feminists. But this is not the medium to attract overall feminist audience, because this is not an activist medium where you can protest against oppression of females and cry misogyny.
For such a thing one needs audience and that is what you do not get in an cRPG. And think about that case, if a male thief in WoW kills a female cleric from the opposite site and then the female cleric cries "misogyny". What would then happen?

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Haha even NeoGAF hated the video. I imagine that's what led to their decision to take it down: their own target audience turning on them. Latest post:

Wait -- so the women in that pitch video aren't even making the project? They were just actors? That's so fucking bizarre.

:hmmm:

I do not like forum doxxing, because here in forum or in any other forum we are saying very fast things that we can later regret, and therefore i think that the moto should be the same as: What happens in Las Vegas, stays in Las Vegas.

Normally, I'd agree, but if someone's going to set themselves up as a moral authority, while being a revisionist lying hypocrite, then I feel that revisionist lying hypocrisy should be exposed.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think the whole project would have been less of a train wreck if they hadn't tried to pander to the crowd-you-can-never-please and tried to ride the imaginary gravy train of inclusiveness. It's especially stupid if you aren't versed in these things at all and can't walk the fine line needed to pander to the right people (better to also include a hefty "consulting" tithe) without enraging too many of the unimportant rubble rousers. I bet the codex would be able to produce a better SJW compliant video than White Knight Mayor. (In general, it's of course a finicky audience which just isn't worth the effort. The really money in the inclusiveness gravy train (let's say 300M from Intel) goes to a selected few elite people and organizations, which are already in the system.)

I didn't play the NWN mod, but from the description, it doesn't look like the author was pandering to unpleasant people back then, but just told a story.

Last edited:

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Comment section:

Really, my only issue is I wish the girls in the video didn't look like models, and looked more "real", not there is a specific standard, but it seems that the gaming industry always chooses pretty, thin model-like girls in any and all promotions, on air interviews etc etc

I'm not an insecure girl, but I thought the same.

Really, you are going to make a game pander to women gamers, SJW, etc, and you start by using pretty models. Why not some two non attractive chicks? Even Dove knows better.

On a side note, the biker chick almost falls down twice trying to stop the bicycle. What a noob.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For the love of God, this shit is legendary.

Edit: Okay I've saved it on my hard drive forever.

Whiran

Magister
Save that shit before it gets taken down from there too
I watched the video 'cause they took it down.

I have to say that I found it somewhat amusing although I was waiting for the girls to kill one another due to the parking space thing. They should have just left that out.

They should have upped the volume on the male who tries to hit on the girls when they are about to leave to further their... encounter.

Overall, it was better than most kickstarter videos that I have since stopped watching. So good on them for the attempt. Will I back the game now? Nope, but they did provide me with however long that video was worth of entertainment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom