Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mooncrest, an INCLUSIVE new action RPG from ex-Bioware devs - Cancelled

pippin

In USA? Really? This is cheaper than prostitutes for nearly the same service. Not that i would have used such a service, because i too good looking, but you know someone who lived at St.Pauli knows the prices for Hamburg St.Pauli sex workers.

:roll:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
"Look like models"? They obviously were models that they'd hired.

I hope somebody saved the video.
Could be actresses or friends or something.

A crooked bee enters a videogame store and starts talking about adventure games. Nothing wrong here.
Yeah, that part reminded me about the times when Crooked Bee and Black Cat were educating Codexers about Challenge.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Since I get emailed this shit now:

Almost 1,400 backers, $48K raised, and 11% toward our goal is great and we’re extremely thankful to all of the people that believed in us and wanted to see this succeed. Sadly it’s a long way from what we needed to be successful. This past weekend, we came to the realization that we weren’t going to make it and we felt canceling was our best course of action.

We described Mooncrest as a game designed in a way that you would own your victories and own your failures. This is something we were all excited about in starting up an indie company and not having to answer to a publisher. At the end of the day there were a lot of missteps along the way, and we got nobody to blame but ourselves.

Coming out of the gate things looked great, but a weak project video, coupled with poor messaging, and no ingame footage was the death of us. I planned on doing a full postmortem on our experiences with Kickstarter, but at this point we’ve examined and re-examined everything so many times I'd rather focus on the positive and move on. There was a ton of information we learned from running this Kickstarter, and if there are people out there who are interested in knowing more we may revisit that at a future date as I'm sure it would be of help anyone who wants to run a campaign.

Our future plans are to lick our wounds, address all of the criticisms/complaints we received, and move forward with another Kickstarter once we’re ready. Our focus will be on having a pitch video that actually, ya know, pitches the game, having ingame footage to show, and just going more in depth on what we have in place to see this game through production and to release.

We will see you all again soon! To keep up with our progress, you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, sign up for our newsletter, or visit our website. Thanks again for all the support and well wishes. Much love goes out to all our backers out there.

–KnightMayor

The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.”
–Robert Green Ingersol

At least they realise why they failed after everyone told them. Who the hell does a kickstarter with no game to show unless they're like John Romero or something? These people need common sense consultancy.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Who the hell does a kickstarter with no game to show unless they're like John Romero or something? These people need common sense consultancy.

His wife?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lootdrop/an-old-school-rpg-by-brenda-brathwaite-and-tom-hal

39NJ7zV.png

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They'll be back: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...oware-devs-fuse-story-and-tacti/posts/1321191

Down Not Out

It’s been about a week or so since we cancelled our Kickstarter campaign. While we’ve been a bit quiet on the public side of things, we’ve been continuing to work toward our next Kickstarter campaign. It took us a bit of time to decompress and focus on things going forward. Mooncrest is totally self funded and contrary to popular belief we don’t have someone waiting in the wings with a fat wad of cash burning a hole in their pocket ready to invest in our game (if you are that person, let’s talk!).

Truthfully, we didn’t give a lot of thought to what steps we were going to take if the Kickstarter failed so we’re trying to sort everything out. Rest assured, we aren’t giving up, we are just determining our best course of action at this point. I know there are quite a few emails and comments where people are waiting for a response from us. We’ll be getting to all of them over the weekend. Sorry for the delays and we appreciate your patience.

On the development side, we are working on concepting out the Paladin Temple which will serve as a base of operations for players and where the adventure will begin. Here’s a few pieces from one of our concept artists, Raph Lomotan. We’ll be moving back to a regular update schedule next week and we’ll have a Q&A on Raph and his artwork then, so don’t miss it.

fcd69db2bde98e88bb293b5a3f0ca0fa_original.jpg

77c96d31e517b649f6a7edf819eec46a_original.jpg

On the tech side of things, work on making our gray box tech area into something more presentable continues. We are building off of a couple mock ups we put together to get combat more presentable from the pill and stick system we were testing internally. If you haven’t seen them before, here’s the mock ups we are working from which were created in Unity 5.

da517c59531ef198d2b4aa2a7fb4f47f_original.gif

e1d28ce1f82f7b952c7b7ad2af58651b_original.gif

Keep in mind, this is ridiculously early pre-Alpha type stuff with character models we downloaded from the Unity Asset Store standing in for Sera and the skeleton. I can guarantee that most (if not all) of this will change in the coming weeks. We just wanted to drop a quick update and let everyone know that we are still plugging away on Mooncrest behind the scenes and we’ll have more updates as we move back into a regular update schedule next week. Enjoy your weekend!

For all the latest info on everything KnightMayor and Mooncrest, follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. You can also subscribe to our newsletter.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
"A Story of Sisterhood"

"The way forward will be dangerous, but you won’t have to face your challenges alone! Pirotase is skilled with a bow and she’ll have your back, supporting you with cover fire and snarky commentary"

u3BvmLg.jpg

and their mansplaining RPG failed
4IezFao.gif

Azarkon

Arcane
"A Story of Sisterhood"

"The way forward will be dangerous, but you won’t have to face your challenges alone! Pirotase is skilled with a bow and she’ll have your back, supporting you with cover fire and snarky commentary"

u3BvmLg.jpg

Uh, so they don't have a single female/minority member on the main team...?

In that case, I don't get why they're trying this feminist route to funding at all.

They won't get any support from radical feminists because radical feminists are against men trying to be feminists.

They won't get any support from liberal feminists because liberal feminists want to see women developers in the industry.

They won't get any support from minority/postcolonial feminists because they're all white.

They won't get much support from cultural feminists because their female characters are 'too masculine.'

And unless they start advertising romance, they won't even get much support from lesbians because it doesn't sound as though the main characters are lesbians.

So their main audience is ... male SJWs? That'd explain the ridiculous video.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Pirotase is skilled with a bow and she’ll have your back, supporting you with cover fire and snarky commentary"

Sounds like Sera from Dragon Age Inquisition.
Sera_at_the_Tavern.png

:badnews:

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
A sad loss for all mankind:

Greetings!

It's my unfortunate duty to inform everyone that KnightMayor is going on an indefinite hiatus. We have more information on the final(?) update on our website here.

The short version is we were self funded and had a small window to attempt a second Kickstarter, but some unfortunate delays caused us to miss that window. We can't keep the studio afloat another 6 months so at this time we feel the best course of action is to walk away from Mooncrest for now.

This was a really difficult decision and we certainly appreciate all of the support. It's possible this isn't the end of Mooncrest, but we just aren't sure at this point. We may be casting raise dead on this campaign at some point in the future, but no promises.

Thanks for all the support and we're sorry to have let our fans down.

All the best,
Rick, Jeff, and James

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.mooncrestrpg.com/news/2015/10/07/cest-la-vie/

Well, this isn’t the follow up update to the combat system unveiling we were planning on. Since the closing of our Kickstarter over 2 months ago development on Mooncrest has not progressed in a manner that we are happy with. When we brought the project to Kickstarter we didn’t have any plans in place or talk about what steps we would take if the campaign had failed. As we discussed elsewhere, there were problems with the way we chose to present the game and everything didn’t come together the way we envisioned.

Afterward, we decided a playable version of Mooncrest would be the best way to convey our vision of the game. The past 8 weeks we have been working toward a second Kickstarter with a modest goal of $40,000 where we planned to deliver a vertical slice to our backers. A vertical slice, for those not familiar with the term, is a playable proof of concept. It’s not the same as a prototype or pre-alpha as it looks and plays like the final product. With a playable version of the game and a better project video it would have addressed all of the concerns of our previous campaign. Also, it would have made it easier to be greenlit on Steam.

While we feel we were finally going in the right direction, the harsh reality is economically we can’t continue the development of Mooncrest at this time. The project has been self funded from the beginning and we are at the point we are beginning to scramble to make ends meet. We had a short window to get the second Kickstarter up and running due to the fast approaching holiday season (when Kickstarters don’t have a high success rate) and we found ourselves making decisions to make the deadline that would have again lead us to another subpar campaign. That was something we decided wasn’t fair to us, our families, our friends, and most of all, to you, all of our amazing supporters out there. After some soul searching we decided our best course of action was to put the project on indefinite hiatus.

What does indefinite hiatus mean? Is Mooncrest dead?
We each need to focus on our personal lives right now which does mean there will be no active development on the project. We might come back to Mooncrest in 6 months, a couple years from now, or this may be the end. We honestly don’t know what the future holds. I can tell you that each of us is extremely passionate about Mooncrest and bringing this game to market, but whether or not we can rise from ashes like a phoenix and take another run at this only higher powers know for sure.

Where does that leave KnightMayor?
KnightMayor is Rick’s company and he has decided to continue to use the company name and switch gears to publishing some of the internal tools we were using to develop Mooncrest. He plans to release them via the Unity Asset Store to recoup some expenses. The website will still remain active (although we will be shutting the forums down), and you can follow his progress right here on this very website. The first tool that is in development is the dialog editor which was being used to create the game’s conversations. Here’s a screenshot of the dialog editor in action.

Jeff and James will both be moving on to pursue other projects. Jeff will continue to do freelance artwork both in and outside of the video game industry. You can follow him on Twitter @theharrower. James will still be streaming the more esoteric games from the video game underworld on Twitch and you can also follow him on Twitter @TheRealCLZ.

Thanks
Last, but not least, we wanted to offer our deepest gratitude for everyone who supported us along the way. All of the inspiration and support made it so difficult to come to this decision as we didn’t want to let anyone down, but we know this is the right thing to do at this time. With some luck, you’ll be hearing about Mooncrest again in the future. Thanks again for the love and support. Ya’ll are awesome. See you on the flip side.

–Rick, Jeff, and James

RIP in peace

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Well, that's just sad. Not because I think the game would have been any good, and I certainly wouldn't have bought it, and there was all the embarrassing SJW pandering, etc..

...but it's a shame when people's dreams are shattered by harsh reality, even if the dream is to produce some shitty Bioware knockoff. Not everyone can be Martin Luther King.

Darkzone

Arcane
Well, that's just sad. Not because I think the game would have been any good, and I certainly wouldn't have bought it, and there was all the embarrassing SJW pandering, etc..
...but it's a shame when people's dreams are shattered by harsh reality, even if the dream is to produce some shitty Bioware knockoff. Not everyone can be Martin Luther King.
Fucked up dreams get shattered every day by the harsh reality and as a human one has to live with it. But trying to lick the assholes of the SJWs and getting kicked in the nuts by them, that should be a wake up call for some people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom