Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monte Cook is making ANOTHER RPG on Kickstarter - The Strange

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EDIT: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1433901524/the-strange-a-tabletop-rpg-by-bruce-cordell-and-mo

Funded!

------------------------

"The Strange". Planescape 2?

https://twitter.com/MonteJCook/status/390219404413132800

The Strange Kickstarter starts tomorrow morning at 8 AM Pacific Time!

https://twitter.com/MonteJCook/status/390219541596217345

The Strange is our new RPG, written by Bruce Cordell and myself.

https://twitter.com/MonteJCook/status/390220172369207296

It's pretty interesting climbing back into the KS saddle again after more than a year. I've certainly learned a lot in that time.

brucecordell.blogspot.com/2013/10/something-strange-on-horizon.html

Something Strange On The Horizon

After I left Wizards, I started putting together an outline for a sci-fi novel. But then MCG made me an offer to join the team. So I pitched my novel idea, except as a game called The Strange. And guess what? Monte and Shanna loved it!

Which leads us to where we are today, just a couple months later. We’re going to launch a Kickstarter for a new game, co-designed by myself and Monte cook, called The Strange. The Strange uses the Cypher System game engine. As you probably know, the Cypher System also powers Numenera. What's cool is that The Strange is going to allow us to use the mechanics in some new and very exciting ways.

When you play The Strange, you'll be able to translate between different worlds, called recursions, that have been seeded "around" Earth. Yes, that's right: Earth. The game setting includes modern day Earth. The image showing the Space Needle in Seattle is no whim. But in some recursions, sorcery, super-science, and even stranger rules of existence are all too real.

Be ready. Something Strange is just on the horizon!

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Could he not just insert this "strange" stuff into Numenera? I thought this was already supposed to be "strange, odd weird" ?

Ninjerk

Arcane
More stupid character building and combat system? I'd be so mad if I had spent money on Numenara from everything I've heard about it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So will this system include a ruleset for a change?

The problem with Numenera is that the audiences it was never intended for don't like it. :avatard:

was zum fuck

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Does this guy really think people are going to give him another chance after Numenera?

What's wrong with Numenera?

The problem with Numenera is that the audiences it was never intended for don't like it. :avatard:
Funny way to spell that it's shit.

Does this guy really think people are going to give him another chance after Numenera?

It's too much hype for nothing. The core rules suck big time and the setting is p. open so you are better off using any other system of your preference to play it as you're supposed to wing a lot of stuff anyway.

And to be honest the setting, which is the big attractive, doesn't do much to me. While the basic premise is cool (fantasy world with medieval level of development where super old tech is the source of magic) , aesthetically I don't find it very appealing.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Funny way to spell that it's shit.

It's too much hype for nothing. The core rules suck big time and the setting is p. open so you are better off using any other system of your preference to play it as you're supposed to wing a lot of stuff anyway.

And to be honest the setting, which is the big attractive, doesn't do much to me. While the basic premise is cool (fantasy world with medieval level of development where super old tech is the source of magic) , aesthetically I don't find it very appealing.
I feel like he would be better off making supplements for other rulesets.

He'd have to find one that wouldn't want a big cut of the money though.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
At this point Cook is probably just using kickstarter to fund his cocaine orgies. Just come up with some random rpg rule set, put it on kickstarter, mail it in and... profit.

Alchemist

Arcane
It seems that he does think so, and that he is right.

We should get a Codex review of Numenera, btw. It is future-Torment related after all.
People here have a hate-on for Numenera but it was actually pretty well-received in the general PnP community:
tfVx9sh.png

from DriveThruRPG

I get why the Codex doesn't like it though... the game mechanics lack depth, crunch, and tactics. I'm not sold on them either - I kinda wish he was just putting out system agnostic setting material (which is where these projects shine), maybe with supplemental stat material for various systems. But I understand making a new system as a business decision, so they aren't beholden to any other company's licensing issues.

The fans will probably port Numenera to other systems anyway.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It seems that he does think so, and that he is right.

We should get a Codex review of Numenera, btw. It is future-Torment related after all.
People here have a hate-on for Numenera but it was actually pretty well-received in the general PnP community.
Uh I don't think reviews by people who bought the game count for much in terms of representing the general PnP community. I wonder if they'll continue being so positive after actually playing it instead of just imagining how potentially cool it is.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I guess I could see someone liking Numenera if they're new to pnp or really hate math, but I think Cook went too far with simplifying the gameplay. I've had a chance to look at the corebook some more since my initial post, and it's not as bad as I thought at first. I guess it could be alright if one uses the optional rules.

I kind of embarrassed myself with my initial post, which was both edgy and blatantly wrong. It seems even a perfect clock is wrong twice a day :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom