Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Kitchen Utensil

The Tempered Jho quest is gone already. Next chance to fight him is during that upcoming Spring Blossom event in a week or so. And yeah, he hits hard.

Kitchen Utensil

The Tempered Jho quest is gone already. Next chance to fight him is during that upcoming Spring Blossom event in a week or so. And yeah, he hits hard.

You finally got hooked to the game huh? Hehe :smug:

It got a lot better once the story was over. Those unskippable cutscenes...
The fighting mechanics do carry the game, trying all the weapons and different builds is really fun. However, I think most of my intital criticism still holds true and there's a lot of retarded stuff that made it into the game. Maybe Capcom will fix some of it over time. So yeah, I think it's a good game that could have been great.
Still, good games nowadays are pretty rare, so there's that.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Ok, so I finally got through the intro cutscenes.

Not sure which weapon to use.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

Use the Greatsword:

- It hits hard
- Allows you to defend against a nuclear explosion (If you have enough stamina)
- Visually impressive
- Guts wears it
- The only shortcoming (Movement speed) can get overwhelmed by getting used to sheate the weapon when you are not attacking.

PD: The bow is the most fun weapon to use for grinding.

DragoFireheart

Use the Greatsword:

- It hits hard
- Allows you to defend against a nuclear explosion (If you have enough stamina)
- Visually impressive
- Guts wears it
- The only shortcoming (Movement speed) can get overwhelmed by getting used to sheate the weapon when you are not attacking.

PD: The bow is the most fun weapon to use for grinding.

Greatsword was my last choice.

I was looking at Lance, Gunlance, Sns, DB, and possibly the Longsword.

Hyperion

Arcane
As a first-timer myself, I recommend holding off on the Lance. The early weapons have such low sharpness that your Charge will bounce off most large monsters' flesh. Charging is also a pretty significant part of your mobility (nice damage, too!) in multiplayer battles while the monster is running around like crazy, chasing a monster down, for long-range repositioning after a Jagras, or Anjanath charge, or if you're going for a mount to end an enrage state. I only ever felt gimped in the early game using one. Once you've got a weapon that has a lot of green / little bit of blue, however, Lance to your heart's content. I find it hard to use a weapon that isn't Lance at this point, because you're just immovable and unkillable with proper blocking skills.

Side Note: Joe Lance looks fucking AMAZING, and spins when you do certain things.

Obvious choice is the Hunting Horn.
Especially after the buffs, HH hits like a motherfucker now. I made a Bazel Horn immediately after the patch, and it is wonderful, though monsters have an odd propensity to look me directly in the eye the second I start casting my melody...

DragoFireheart

As a first-timer myself, I recommend holding off on the Lance. The early weapons have such low sharpness that your Charge will bounce off most large monsters' flesh. Charging is also a pretty significant part of your mobility (nice damage, too!) in multiplayer battles while the monster is running around like crazy, chasing a monster down, for long-range repositioning after a Jagras, or Anjanath charge, or if you're going for a mount to end an enrage state. I only ever felt gimped in the early game using one. Once you've got a weapon that has a lot of green / little bit of blue, however, Lance to your heart's content. I find it hard to use a weapon that isn't Lance at this point, because you're just immovable and unkillable with proper blocking skills.

Side Note: Joe Lance looks fucking AMAZING, and spins when you do certain things.

Obvious choice is the Hunting Horn.
Especially after the buffs, HH hits like a motherfucker now. I made a Bazel Horn immediately after the patch, and it is wonderful, though monsters have an odd propensity to look me directly in the eye the second I start casting my melody...

I ended up going with the Sword and Shield.

Early gameplay development footage of Monster Hunter World was released, showcasing some concepts that didn't make it into the final product:

Lagiacrus was part of the prototype at one point, but it's been confirmed that he wont show up in World this time around (via game director Yuya Tokuda), not even as DLC. The mudfish took his role instead.

DragoFireheart

Going to try out the Dual Blades now.

I enjoy the mobility and versatility of the Sns but I'm not sure if I value utility over raw damage.

Also I may try the Longsword.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

Ok so I just ripped that fire-breathing T-rex in the forest a new asshoke with my water element Dual Blades.

Very fun weapon, all over the place zipping and ripping. Losing the utility for more RAW POWA was worth it.

Perkel

Arcane
Raw power value is misleading. Especially with current style.
I liked how Generations and MH3rd shown power of weapon.

In Gen you had for example 3 weapons:

A - 110 power
B - 100 power
C - 120 power

A is about 10% better than B while C is about 20% better than B ram damage wise.
And this worked across weapon types.

So GS with 100 power is about equal in damage output as Dual blades with 100 power

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The amount of damage an attack does compared to other attacks. So like, bopping something with the hilt on a greatsword might be like 12%, while a perfect full charge swing will be like 150%. Smaller weapons tend to have higher values to offset their low stats.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yea so even though your SnS raw damage is 100, the individual attacks have motions values and do different amounts of damage. So a motion value .25 attack will only do 25 of the raw damage of a 100 raw weapon, before monster part calculations. One of the most potent moves in the game is the SnS back hop slash + shield slam as the motion value for it is huge and the move doesn't require any setup or a large window of opening to perform. Last I checked all the best speed runs were done with the SnS, but that was some time ago and I'm not sure if it's still true, but it does put the SnS in a place where it is very competitive in terms of damage output if you know what to do with it.

Note that elemental damage is static and not affected by motion values, but it is affected by monster part resistances as you'd expect.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was suprised SnS s damage output when I tried it. It's also fun to use.
But that's something I can say about all of them weapons. They really did a good job with all of them. There is not any bad choice, we can play in anyway we can.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yes. Before the main selling points of SnS was the mobility and ability to use items without unsheathing and it had a decently mediocre move set, but it wasn't too fun to use it for long. Now Crapcom has finally made it into a weapon that's also fun to play with for longer periods of time.

DragoFireheart

Yes. Before the main selling points of SnS was the mobility and ability to use items without unsheathing and it had a decently mediocre move set, but it wasn't too fun to use it for long. Now Crapcom has finally made it into a weapon that's also fun to play with for longer periods of time.

I do miss the sheer mobility of the Sns...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Formula is the same, but the multipliers are different. Iirc the threshold for physical damage has been made higher in World so you do more damage than in other games. Unfortunately they did not grace Elemental damage with this same treatment, making it even more useless than it was in previous the titles.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
At least the elemental stuff looks pretty now. Status weapons kinda got an indirect buff by the whole weapon swapping thing too- now you can give something a couple good sleeps or paralyzations and switch out when it's immunity is built up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom