Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
HillaryLogo.png

SumDrunkGuy

I bought it because I'm a moron. Exploring the "ecosystem" as they call it has actually been enjoyable, and the first big monster fight was pretty fun. The game definitely delivers some strong first impressions I'll give it that, but I can already detect the obnoxious grind this thing is gonna turn into 10 or 20 hours from now.

Not looking forward to that shit. Still I'll give it props because I went in expecting to hate it from the start and I don't hate it. Yet.

When you hit a monster with your weapon it dosent give you the feel of slicing into them, like other games. I also feel that the combos are pretty basic and not that much thought

^Whoever said that ain't wrong. The hits don't feel as satisfying as they should. The combat has felt very "meh" in general thus far. I mean it's not bad, but if you honestly think this is on par with Dark Souls & Dragon's Dogma combat you're a fucking retard. It's more comparable to Witcher 3's combat than anything, which wasn't great.
what weapon are you using? How long have you been playing the game?

I'm about 16 hours in. I'm using the great sword right now. Also used the lance, dual blades, and switch axe thing.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Will be playing soon and give my prestigious 90's golden era opinion

Perkel

Arcane
One of the best changes i started to appreciate is ability to switch weapon mid quest. Tabi Kachi was the moster where i had to change from Gunlance to something faster because that monster just jumped around a lot.

-------------
-------------

I noticed that now some sets do have some multiple parts skills.
Meaning that like case of Anjanoth armor you need to wear at least 3 parts to get that armor skill. So far it is the only one skill like that i saw.
Storywise i just got to Rotten Vale.

Hardest monster so far is Anjanoth. He isn't like in Beta where he hardly does any damage and have those lapses of dumb staring at you getting hit. Once enraged he pretty much fucks everything up around. I hunted him 3 times already and only once i didn't faint even once.
Both i and my friend are long time MH players so i am guessing this is the first proper skill check for newer people to mh.

There are some Diablos, Rathalos etc. on map prowling but no way you will be able to hunt them early on. Even now with with rank3-4 weapons and armor it would be stretch if i want to hunt them. Especially since there is no quest for them so i would need to beat them in 20 minutes max before they run away.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm fucking shit up with hammer. I was very sceptical about it at first but now I'm lovin it. Things really go smooth especially if there are walls for stepping up or rocks I can climb. Also made me sad that I cannot play as a dwarf char :(
An enraged Anja is not something you need to mess with tbh. I just run away and lay traps when they got enraged.
Liking the heavy ranged weapon too but ammo limitation bugs me. Probably just gonna use it in groups.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Hammer is my go-to.

Twatting things in the head is possibly the most satisfying shit I've ever experienced in a game.

Breaking shit off with charge attack, knocking down then O attack big banging his fucking skull in like you're hammering a nail into timber.

Japs are insane.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hammer and Lance are my jam but this time I decided to try the Charge Blade. It's pretty fun, but extremely OP with little trade offs for its power. The only "downside" I can think of for it, if you could call it that, is that it's a lot more technical than most weapons, so it'll take more getting used to be gud at it. I'm still far away from being even mediocre at this weapon, but it does feel good to discharge a full stack of Phials on a monsters face and watch them fly in agony. OTOH I feel like this move in particular is a bit too good since it does a shitton of damage and has a ridiculously good range so you can start the motion from relative safety without getting punished.

Some things that really annoy me about MHW are the main hub and how much running there is involved when chasing monsters. The hub is too big and its size doesn't serve any purpose. The old hubs were good because they were small, had everything important right next to each other and didn't waste your time with needless running. I don't like how when a monster decides to run away, they run for an annoyingly long time. Sometimes you can stop them in their tracks if you can damage them enough, but not always. This is one pro where the old maps win over these new ones. Those are probably my only cons for the game, along with the lack of G-Rank.

Perkel

Arcane
Got finally to high rank.
Remember my world about lack of two sets of armors for each type of armor because they removed Gunner/Blademanster ?

It is not true but with a twist.

On low rank you have only one set of armor type and each have one skill. But when you get to high rank you have two types of armor for each of armor. One type with two skills and one with one skill and slot for jewel like in earlier MH games. And those two armors look different either color wise or how generally model looks. Like Hunter's Armor. Hunter armor A has cape while B doesn't and has some different coloring and details.

So they kind of simplified low rank and treat it like tutorial even more so than in earlier games. No gems, charms you get very late into into low rank (like 4 star), one set of armor per type etc.

>
I've decided to ditch the lance which I used quite a bit in the beta and go for the insect glaive. Those jump attacks are really sweet, too bad they seem to do shit damage. Admittedly though, I still haven't gotten the hang of charging the kinsect, so once I've got gud maybe I'll start dealing some real hurt. I just wish I had time to play the fucking thing. :argh:

True about damage BUT it is only weapon that does a lot of damage when you mount monsters. Once you move from head to torso etc it does that aerial attack which does like 20-30 damage for each change on monster compared to 1 damage per second while knifing.

Perkel

Arcane
some dark souls fan:

Praise the Stun.

I don't know if there's anything more satisfying than bludgeoning a fire-spitting T-rex in the face so hard it falls over and experiences a trauma-induced seizure. I started with the greatsword because I didn't want to miss out on any loot from tail-severing, but after using the hammer for a while I've decided that it's simply the price I'll have to pay for wielding this magnificent slab of pure unstoppable force.

I also just figured out that bounties give hella armor spheres and that I can buff ANY of my armor up to the max defense level. What the hell! Tailor-made sets for each elemental type? Mix-and-match sets for optimal skill loadout? It's 5:45 am and I need to sleep but all I can think about is how much I want to go murder that new monster I saw and make a hat out of it.

Glad to be among you, Hunters.

Sincerely, -A Stunbro

sullynathan

Arcane
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180129.html

img_logo.jpg
  • January 29, 2018​
  • Press Release
  • 3-1-3, Uchihiranomachi, Chuo-ku
    Osaka, 540-0037, Japan
    Capcom Co., Ltd.
    Haruhiro Tsujimoto, President and COO
    (Code No. 9697 First Section of Tokyo Stock Exchange)​
Monster Hunter: World Ships 5 Million Units!
- Sets series record for most units shipped in first three days,
backed by support of fans across the globe -​

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter: World for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One*1 has shipped 5 million units worldwide (including digital download sales). A PC version is to be released at a later date.
*1: Xbox One version is available in North America and Europe only
The Monster Hunter series consists of hunting action games that pit players against giant monsters in a beautiful natural environment. The series has sparked a social phenomenon known as the "Monster Hunter Craze" by introducing a new kind of communication style for players through cooperative play focused on hunting monsters with their friends. Since the first Monster Hunter title made its debut 14 years ago in 2004, the series has attracted a dedicated fan base, and overall grown into a mega-hit with cumulative sales of more than 45 million units worldwide as of January 28, 2018.
Monster Hunter: World is the latest entry in the series and is the first new Monster Hunter title for home consoles in nine years. Players step into the role of a researcher, whose team travels to an unexplored, new continent and become hunters. This game offers significant innovations to the series, including seamless transitions between map areas as well as smooth, on-the-fly actions, displayed damage points dealt to monsters, and the ability to join mid-quest when playing online. What's more, in order to further build upon its fan base both in Japan and in markets overseas, this is the first title in the series to be given a global simultaneous launch. As a result, Monster Hunter: World has shipped 5 million units, the largest shipment a title in this series has achieved in the first three days following release. Capcom plans to support the sales growth of the title over the long term through a number of free downloadable updates, which will include additional monsters among other content.
Beginning in the spring of 2018 Capcom plans to hold qualifying events in seven areas across Japan leading up to the Monster Hunter: World Kariou Playoffs, which will determine the top hunter in the country. What's more, Capcom will roll out further cross-industry initiatives to increase long-term brand value and capture an even wider fan base, such as with a Hollywood film adaptation of the series and the Monster Hunter: The Real attraction currently running at Universal Studios Japan.
Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

Perkel

Arcane
Great news. Overall when some game i like reaches huge sales it is a point where i am getting scared because it usually means game is about to change to something worse.

In case of Monster Hunter it is complete opposite. I feel like developers are on point and it is casual audience that catched up to design rather than opposite. Pretty similar story to Dark Souls really.

Machocruz

Arcane
This is the IT game right now. You see it all over Twitch whether the people you follow or in the recommended channels sidebar. 90% of the channels listed somewhere on my front page are running the game. It's about damn time this series got its due.

sullynathan

Arcane
You have to understand that Monster Hunter came out at the right time. It's a multiplayer focused game with lots of combat, crafting and farming. This is pretty much what's been popular since this generation started.

The series is really popular in Japan

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The time has been right for years already. Monster Hunter was always the kind of game that would flourish in the west on the PC platform. They sure took their sweet time, but better late than never. Yeah, yeah, Monster Hunter Frontier has been on the PC for over a decade, but that was never localized and it kinda sucked.

Perkel

Arcane
>Monster Hunter Frontier has been on the PC for over a decade, but that was never localized and it kinda sucked.

Monster Hunter Frontier or Online are bad MH games to begin with. Even latest one MHO is using 3rd gen mechanics at best. Even if it was localized it would do poorly.

>Monster Hunter Frontier has been on the PC for over a decade, but that was never localized and it kinda sucked.

Monster Hunter Frontier or Online are bad MH games to begin with. Even latest one MHO is using 3rd gen mechanics at best. Even if it was localized it would do poorly.

Are you sure about that? I'm 100% positive that the general non-weeb western audience (including every codexer) would love to fight MH Frontier gems like anime Nargacuga:

Joking aside, I'm optimistic about the direction World is going (enjoying it so far), despite its flaws. The initial dumbing down can be attributed to the desire for a larger western customer base, but hopefully they'll start to optimize what they've built with any expansions/sequels, since they've already taken the plunge off of the handhelds into superior hardware (consoles notwithstanding). The previous localized games improved with every new iteration, from Freedom Unite, to MH3U, to MH4U-Generations, so we can expect them to further refine the new game engine and mechanics, as well as address any valid criticisms, including what fork and others listed on the previous page. Or maybe they'll dumb it down to an extreme level with micro-transactions and loot boxes around every corner for easy money, while shitting out crappy PC ports with no support since Japs cannot into PC. There are already gesture/cosmetic packs available for sale on the Playstation store (alongside some free ones). Time will tell...

Perkel

Arcane
Spend nearly 80 hours since Monday with it and i am yet to reach end of story and end of high rank.

Can't wait till it releases on PC and rest of codex tries it. I completely predict this will be second Dark Souls moment and will consume people totally.

Joking aside, I'm optimistic about the direction World is going (enjoying it so far), despite its flaws. The initial dumbing down can be attributed to the desire for a larger western customer base,

What dumbing down ?

Kitchen Utensil

It's nowhere near as satisfying as Souls. Souls offer more gameplay-wise as well as story-wise.

What dumbing down? The scout flies for example are beyond dumbed down. That shit is designed for comatose people.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Combat is nowhere near Souls..... Souls has set up a standard for action combat games that will not be reached. Souls combat is in a league of its own.

Kitchen Utensil

Not necessarily combat. Combat in MH:W really is quite enjoyable. It's different than Souls, but still quite good. Matter of taste really.
It's almost everything else that is mediocre to bad in MH:W and which Souls is lightyears ahead at — like no handholding, more subtle (and optional!) story, lore and humour, more memorable characters, way better atmosphere, better level-design and exploration, better music, better UI and HUD, better char creator, better customisation, better itemisation, overall tighter game design and less gimmicky elements etc..

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Lol Monster hunter set in 2004 the base that Muhzaki and his companions took and adapted to their games. Specially the stamina and armor system. Souls series it’s not the standard for anybody (Except for those and little “Soulslike”) and there’s games like Nioh with superior mechanics in some regards.

As far I love the Souls series I think that this faggotry around them needs to die.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Now you've gone full retard and are just comparing apples and oranges. Souls has better exploration.. and? Monster Hunter isn't about exploration or level design. Same for plot. It sucks, but so what? These games were never about it. It's just an excuse to go hunting some monsters. I completely disagree with Souls having better humor as well (what the fuck?). MH has a perfect and seamless blend of serious business and cute humor thanks to the adorable Palicoes. The odd shit they do gives me legit lols from time to time. Atmosphere is well realized in Dark Souls, but it's not anything new or unique. Monster Hunter OTOH has a very unique and cool atmosphere thanks to the post-apocalyptic jurassic world setting that is pulled off quite well with the flavorful world building. MH has tons of lore, but most of it is not explored in the games, because it's not really important. The game is called Monster Hunter and that's the most important thing since day 1. Yeah, they could've wasted our time explaining that the world the games takes place in is Earth far in the future after Humans brought themselves to the brink of destruction by creating Dragons who turned against them, and barely survived total destruction by making genetically altered super humans (Dragon Hunters) who the Monster Hunters that the players play as are a descendant of, which is why they are able to pull off such insane feats of strength. But what does it add to the game? Not much, really.

You basically want another Souls clone with a different flavor but plays the exact same. Soulsfags.. Soulsfags never change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom