Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What are these "red pods" you guys are talking about? The gleaming red slinger ammo drops that show up? I never realized it was the monsters who were dropping them. I always figured they'd broken off some gathering point while shit was flailing around everywhere.

Actually, it's extremely annoying when that slinger ammo is nearby chipped-off monster materials or anything else needful, which it very frequently is. I usually don't want to pick up slinger ammo, possibly replacing a more desirable slinger ammo type. I want the fucking material. Still, it's nice that it's an alternative indicator to skulls and the electrocardiograph.
Yeah that's what they are talking about after a certain point, most monsters will drop either bomb pods, piercing pods, and other higher quality pods after they drop below a certain health threshold.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fucking Hell, for a real endurance challenge try soloing Tzitzi in the Arena. Standard Bazelgeuse is a breeze compared to that obnoxious shit. I had to use a fucking trap just to be able to sharpen, because the purple fucking cunt never lets up. :lol:

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah that's what they are talking about after a certain point, most monsters will drop either bomb pods, piercing pods, and other higher quality pods after they drop below a certain health threshold.

They are usually the best way to stop monster from running away as they stagger monster when they hit.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Best version confirmed ? (PC)
Several mods were released:

No Scout Flies !
Transmog
DS4 icons

Ah, I was wondering when an armor swap mod would show up, but I didn't expect the swaps to be visible to other players at such an early date in the modding scene.

For some reason CRAPCOM in their infinite wisdom have included a vanity armor slot system, without any vanity armor available aside from a single preorder bonus set. "B-BUT BRAINE, DEY RELEESE EVENTS WIT VANITY ARMOR AND SHIT!" Nigga this isn't an MMO and I'm not going to play it for fifteen months straight, fuck off.

sullynathan

Arcane
Sometimes I get the impression I play a different MH than everyone else. Does everyone play coop most of the time or what? I only play solo, exclusively, and most 5* monsters and up are just a signal to move onto the next game in the series.
I stopped at this point too when I played portable 3rd because iirc, you would need to have other players to play the game with. I did all the emulator shit, but I couldn't be bothered to wait for other people to join me to play.
Sounds like if you don't already know how to use the lance very well, you'll have next to zero mobility, mediocre damage, and fairly shoddy defense.
this was what happened to me when I used the lance in the MHW Beta since I never used it in freedom or Portable 3rd. It was pretty nice once I got the hang of it.
Did Capcom ever say what their sales expectations for this game was? Obviously it's highly successful and has likely exceeded it by a large amount but it would be interesting to know given other games that didn't meet sales expectations.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's a Japanese company. You will never know how many sales were expected or projected.

It set the Steam record for most concurrent players in a Japanese game and no doubt broke other records as well in spite of its rather severe launch woes. My guess is that it exceeded expectations significantly, but not by a truly huge amount. It is Monster Hunter, after all, and the first one on PC. The hype must have been incredible. I was excited to play a MH on PC but I wouldn't say I was hyped, since I've played several MH titles in years past and knew exactly what to expect.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Much like the Prism Hercudrome, I lucked into finding this while off doing something else. I've heard it takes some people ages to locate.

84275e4264.png

Hyperion

Arcane

1.5 million estimated last year for the console release. Needless to say it's far surpassed expectations. I still won't be expecting a G Rank though, because of Arch Tempered Elder Dragons.

Perkel

Arcane

I still won't be expecting a G Rank though, because of Arch Tempered Elder Dragons.

Both MH4U and MHXX had such mechanic. It was called frenzy in MH4U and in MHXX something else but they were in base version of game. So there is no reason to assume they won't release G-rank.

Also updates with monsters are far to scarce to assume they don't work on G-rank expansion. Either way Tokyo Game show is around corner in September and we will know then if they will announce G-rank or not.

edit:

My biggest hope for G-rank is that they will redo a lot of weapons to make them look different AND that it will be released at the same time with console version on PC. They already said they plan to make faster updates to PC version and i think both will "meet" soon in future probably before G-rank will be out.

Last edited:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
After mine and Blaine's failed (but close) attempt at Nigerianté a few days ago, I thought I'd go give him a go solo, with some new gear (earplugs and tremor resist). Beat him first try with the hammer, albeit in half an hour and using up almost my entire stack of mega potions. Some of his attacks still catch me off guard (especially if he's partly facing my palico and hiding his tell), and thankfully he mostly divebombed my cat, but otherwise not too bad. Ended up mounting him 3 times after (ab)using the hell out of the spinny slide attack.

I tried using the heavy bowgun earlier, but although it has some fun fire modes (e.g. cluster bomb, machine gun, exploding blowtorch mode), and the shield is pretty cool, I still prefer the bow. The reloads are probably the most annoying part. You have to do it so often and it takes so long; I'd rather just spam arrows.

Deflowerer

Arcane
It's a Japanese company. You will never know how many sales were expected or projected.

Capcom is a public company. If you dig into the financial statements / investor relations deep enough, it's probably there.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I too defeated African-Americante on my very first solo attempt in around half an hour, but without any earplugs or tremor resistance, which was miserable for obvious reasons and significantly contributed to the lengthy completion time. First I beat on him with a hammer to knock both of his horns off, then I peppered him with the bow, and finally I switched to the charge blade (which I just learned to use last night). The charge blade was surprisingly very comfortable to use against him despite my inexperience with it. I didn't succeed at a single mounting attempt, because each time I was roared, tremored, or paw-swiped out of my slide, or else he rocketed away at a bad time. Lazing Dirk loves to do the mounting attacks though, so because I always duo with him, I'm much less experienced at mounting.

I don't think I'll ever be divested of my belief that he's far too spammy for such a large and powerful monster, and that some of his moves are too cheap. I've seen him roar and then belly-flop before I could recover from animation lock, I've seen him spam his paw swipe seven times in a row, his basic attacks have AoE even when I'm 100% sure no spikes were fired, and I've seen his dive-bomb begin, end, and hit me before I could put my weapon away and sprint into emergency dive. Perhaps you're supposed to have your weapon already put away if he's got all of his black spikes up, but that's shit.

Frankly though, I was on my D game when I fought him, so I have to wonder how bad some people must be at this game to fail at fighting him over and over and over again.

Bowguns are absolute trash and do shit damage. I took a Rarity 6 Light Bowgun with three Close Range mods and slicing ammo into a Special Arena versus a LOW-RANK Pukei, hit his tail dead-on with exactly 20 slicing shots from melee range, and yet his tail was still firmly attached when Lazing Dirk finished him off. The damage dealt by Normal 1, 2, and 3 to weak points is far less than half that of a mediocre bow, regardless of rapid-fire specials, equipment skills, bowgun mods, buffs, or anything else.

Hyperion

Arcane
I've seen him roar and then belly-flop before I could recover from animation lock
Rathalos and his Azure counterpart, Beetlejuice, Teostra, Kushala Daora, Pink Rathian (reg one doesn't seem to do this), and Uragaan can also do similar things to this if you're in their melee range. Beetlejuice typically gets you with a wing buffet, followed by a stomp, rather than leading off with a roar. Earplugs is an extremely underrated skill and makes wearing the Beetlejuice set worth it. Prevents the unrelenting aggravation of stopping right in the middle of your giant hit. Charge Blade can also Guard Point through some roars, but you have to be real good to pull it off.

I still need to break Nerg's horns because it's a bitch to aim SAEDs at his head and I need that shit for the Tyrannis 2. I really don't fucking want to craft a hammer just for this shit.
Did it with the Tobi Kadachi Lance, in about 12 - 15 minutes. Was never in any real danger. If you plan on endgaming at all, you'll fight Nergigante and the other Elder Dragons so many times you'll get sick of him anyway. Sleepbombing him is usually good to take off one horn at the end of the fight too.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
switched to the charge blade (which I just learned to use last night).
A man of exquisite tastes.

All you have to do is hold heavy attack -> heavy attack to perform a double-swipe charged attack, hold heavy attack -> heavy attack again to perform another double-swipe charged attack, block + heavy to charge phials, heavy + light -> heavy + light -> heavy + light [block interrupt] to combo into charged shield, repeat the double-swipe charge attack twice more, hold heavy attack -> wait -> tap block + heavy attack -> wait -> hold light attack to charge the sword, repeat the double-swipe charge attack yet again to charge your final set of phials. Now you're ready to heavy + light -> heavy + light -> heavy + light -> hold light combo into amped discharge and then super amped discharge.

Couldn't be simpler.

I still need to break Nerg's horns because it's a bitch to aim SAEDs at his head and I need that shit for the Tyrannis 2. I really don't fucking want to craft a hammer just for this shit.

Yeah, I'm not at all a fan of near-mandatory weapons and/or armor skills. It's somewhat inevitable since every monster is different, but some of it's by design, and I don't like that.

Earplugs is an extremely underrated skill and makes wearing the Beetlejuice set worth it.

It's not underrated in the least. Many of the monsters in this game roar constantly to the point of spamming at times, interrupting your combos and leaving you vulnerable. The value of Earplugs must surely be obvious to pretty much anyone. That's why Lazing Dirk farmed the Bagel Juice set before attempting Nergigante again. I myself have beaten Bagel many times without a single gem drop, even with the use of Plunderblade, Legiana's Blessing, and vouchers, which is why I ended up fighting Nergigante without the set.

Near-mandatory armor skills for specific monsters are absolute shit and I hate them. Earplugs should be a convenience and a damage-enhancer (by way of giving you more time to deal damage and avoiding interruption), not a necessity to avoid a cheap and otherwise unavoidable combo attack.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
lel the thirst is too real.

MHW players did more hours total than GTA5 players LTD on steam.

I'm having trouble beating the pink Rathian and I'm thinking about dropping longsword. Although it's a cool weapon, against spammy monsters it's very difficult to do combos and it's not very satisfying to hit and run with it.

Nearing 50hrs playtime, I agree with something someone in this thread said (I think Blaine) about the enrages - enrages suck dick and they're a shit mechanic in this game. I don't want to hold my dick from afar for 10 minutes while the monster flails around with OHKO potential. I think tranq bombs should be used to de-rage monsters but I haven't had success with it (is it even possible?)

I'd be fine with shorter and more dangerous enrages if you take too long to kill a boss, but a Kirin enraging 2 minutes into the battle and only being vulnerable on the horns while spamming his shit 24/7 for 15 minutes isn't fun.

Perkel

Arcane
Wait till you see Tigrex lol. You will be running like sissy asking yourself after 10 minutes "is that fucker calm now ? Oh no ! NOT AGAIN"

:D:D:D

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
switched to the charge blade (which I just learned to use last night).
A man of exquisite tastes.

All you have to do is hold heavy attack -> heavy attack to perform a double-swipe charged attack, hold heavy attack -> heavy attack again to perform another double-swipe charged attack, block + heavy to charge phials, heavy + light -> heavy + light -> heavy + light [block interrupt] to combo into charged shield, repeat the double-swipe charge attack twice more, hold heavy attack -> wait -> tap block + heavy attack -> wait -> hold light attack to charge the sword, repeat the double-swipe charge attack yet again to charge your final set of phials. Now you're ready to heavy + light -> heavy + light -> heavy + light -> hold light combo into amped discharge and then super amped discharge.

Couldn't be simpler.

Don't forget block + light (or just light (+ direction) if already in axe mode) -> heavy for a quick 2-for-1 discharge, guard points with break + light (potentially into heavy+light for a counter SAED), direction + heavy to slide slash away with a guard point at the end (good for disengaging), backwards + light to cancel a super into a standard discharge, and probably more.

Wait till you see Tigrex lol. You will be running like sissy asking yourself after 10 minutes "is that fucker calm now ? Oh no ! NOT AGAIN"

I remember Tigrex from MHFU/2G, didn't know he was in MHW - is he?

Perkel

Arcane

I remember Tigrex from MHFU/2G, didn't know he was in MHW - is he?

He is not currently but i don't have doubt he will come back in MHW in either update or G-expansion. I mean it is perfect monster to take advantage of those open world environments.

I mean this is how he was portrayed in MH4 concept trailer:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
They'll probably do a snow themed expansion and add him and maybe Rajang too. Also, I really miss the hermitaurs, those things were fucking awesome.

Also, I'm kinda sad that the coolest looking armor I've seen so far belongs to that shity Dodongo fucker and just gives garbage skills like blast element res.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom