Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter: World - pre-release thread

Perkel

Arcane
What a fucking disappointment, they sold out to the western casuals this time. I saw no core Monster Hunter elements in this shit.

blind men often don't see stuff. There isn't anything "westernized" here to see.
Capcom everytime they make new mainline mh they release trailer like that where they present new stuff in it.

here is mh1

here is mh4

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
This game looks fucking amazing and anyone who says otherwise is a Nintendo shill.

The Fish

Arcane
Put on my weeb hat for a second: Japan only ones still making actual good games on console.
:d1p:

It's been like that for a long time really. Of course there are exceptions, you can point to indies, Wipeout, some F1 games maybe the odd TBS or whatever but for the most part the only good western games are PC exclusive. I can't for the life of me think of any western SNES games in the same league as Chrono Trigger or Super Metroid. On the PS3 I only owned Japanese games (aside from Wipeout HD) and I don't feel I missed out on anything*. I'd rather play bayonetta, vanquish, dragon's crown, earth defense force, dark souls and probably about ten others before wanting to pick up any western games on that system, you can even add PS2 downloadable games to that list too - God Hand, Ico, SotC. Western genres like FPSs really suffer from having to accommodate console controls.

The other side to all this is that there are lots of game styles the Japanese completely neglect because of their lack of a PC culture, they'll never make an eve online or europa universalis. There's a whole range of games which necessitate dense interfaces that they can't touch.

edit:
* I just remember I bought Red Dead Redemption. I tried to go into it without any preconceptions and still walked away thinking it was shit.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
anyone want some salt? This is pure saltmine:

https://twitter.com/SocksyBear/status/874767706716852224

Capcom: We're 100% focused on World for western audiences. Yes, this is next main title! We have nothing to announce for Switch currently.

So, there won't be Monster Hunter 5 or a game for the japanese audiences?

Capcom: This is next generation of Monster Hunter!

After that shitstorm happens. XX won't be localized at all.

Nintendo "fans" in full panic mode

sullynathan

Arcane
more footage and an interview that answers a lot of questions I had.

Full open world no sections and new covers for stealth

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
more footage and an interview that answers a lot of questions I had.

Full open world no sections and new covers for stealth

Can't watch right now, but is there like a hub city or something? Is that sectioned off via load screen or is that open too?

I wonder how this will work. So I'm guessing, like previous games, there will be several different "biomes", and these biomes will have their own large monsters roaming about, so potentially there are several monsters spawned on the open world at once or what?

Vorark

Erudite
Monster Hunter: World has all 14 weapons from the series, global servers, and more tidbits

New tidbits from E3 2017 interviews and such.
Monster-Hunter-World-PS-Live-Interview_06-13-17.jpg

Monster Hunter: World producer Ryozo Tsujimoto confirmed new details about the newly announced console Monster Hunter during the the PlayStation E3 2017 live stream.

Here are the new details:

• While previous games had segmented map areas with loading in between, there is no map loading this time. Everything is totally seamless and transition-free.
  • There is a great sense of a living, breathing world. Monsters have a variety of personalities, which you can use against them. Their A.I. has been enhanced to more intelligent, and they have become more “creature-like.”
  • There are new suit items called “Mantles.” The one in the trailer lets you go into a sort of stealth mode. There are also Mantles that let you lure monsters towards you.
  • For the first time in the series, Monster Hunter: World has drop-in multiplayer. If you’re on a quest and need help, you can shoot up an S.O.S. flare to get your friends in the game.
  • There will still be hunter lounges.
  • This time, the servers worldwide are all merged into one, so you can play with users around the world.
  • All 14 weapons from the series are in. The hunting action is the core gameplay of the series. They’re not removing anything, they’re building from the same bases established by the previous titles.
  • There is a new item called the “Slinger,” which lets you hook onto certain parts of the environment and move around that way. You can also pick up rocks off the ground to put in the Slinger and shoot at the enemy or to create a distraction.
Here are some new details from Dengeki’s Nishioka, who saw a live demonstration of the game:

• The basic elements are Monster Hunter.
  • There is HP, a stamina gauge, and item selection.
  • Fighting on a seamless map feels like it it makes full use of the changing topography.
  • You can use items while walking.
  • There were also Felyne Palicoes.
And a few more tidbits from Capcom community manager Yuri Araujo (1, 2, 3):

• This is not a spin-off.
  • Again, for the first time ever, the game uses one big global online server.
  • It’s not an open-world game, but the maps are massive and wide open without any loading screens, as detailed earlier in this post.
Monster Hunter: World is due out for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in early 2018, and PC later. In Japan, it will only launch for PlayStation 4.

Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/06/monster-hunter-world-14-weapons-series-global-servers-tidbits

Perkel

Arcane
So grapling hook is for traversing terrain and you can't use it anywhere just for certain spots. Good.

Game will have same structure as previous games: Hub:smithing,armory, eating, meeting people, taking quest, meeting other players. While maps are no longer took apart in parts but are huge and seamless

Vorark

Erudite
anyone want some salt? This is pure saltmine:

Lol, Nintentards tears are delicious. I remember these idiots making fun of people asking for MH to be on other systems other than the crap 3DS. Cry more, poor souls. :lol:

I used to be a bit butthurt about the direction the series took after Freedom Unite. One of these days I was playing FU on PPSSPP and 4U on 3DS and, like the dude from Oblivion, I saw the light (with less bloom, thankfully): I'll always have my classy MH to play, not matter how much Capcom manages to fuck it up down the line. So, I just let it go and now I hope for the best.

So far, MH World is shapping up to be a damn fun game, which is all that matters in the end.

Perkel

Arcane
nah mh3 and mh4 both added some good things. Due to game being local co-op happy Nintendo was basically only Capcom choice at the time.

What i would want would be overall reduction of armor values or just buffing monster damage (even early in game). Small monsters in MHFU used to actually dish damage but in mh3 and mh4 they don't at all. They exist solely to destroy your eggs.

BTW i think now Eggstraction missions will be fun since map is not divided monsters can hunt you down and follow you.

ALSO cats are in (this is actually something i hoped they go away with)

Perkel

Arcane
More Details from IGn who played it behind closed doors:

The Quest Giver was fully voiced in English, and she sent the hunter on a quest to hunt an Anjanath, the T-rex-like monster shown in the reveal.

The world felt like a living ecosystem where monsters and creatures reacted to each other. At one point in the demo, I watched as a lizard-like Great Jagrass walk up to another creature and swallow it whole in one horrifyingly slow gulp (it was as gross to watch as it sounds).

The Great Jagrass then made its way back to a nest and regurgitated part of the meal to feed smaller members of the pack could eat.

Hunters can use a crossbow to fire shock knifes or grapple their way out of a bad situation. Our hunter used a traditional Great Sword, but all 14 weapon types will be returning in the game.

Finally, the Great Jagrass interrupted the hunter’s fight with the Anjanath. But the monster assists came with a deadly price; the Anjanath grabbed the other beast by the head with its jaws and slowly wrestled it to the ground to kill it.
  • A representative for Capcom told us that MH World still supports 4-player co-op right from the start of a quest. If you decided to go solo and run into a seemingly impossible combat situation, you can fire off a flare to summon up to three other players that will drop in and help.
As expected, vines and tree branches sway in the breeze, day-night cycles significantly change the lighting and the mood of the world, and monsters that run away no longer disappear off into the distance.

*Hunters can change weapons and armor midhunt by going to the Base Camp.
**This feature was added due to there usually being multiple large monsters in an area and from each having a different strength or weakness

Seems like the witcher vision bugs are something that you must own, and there will be an item that can use them before they're usable

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm glad that drop in co-op is in. It was always a bit of a problem in the previous games when people would join a hunt and get dc or just quit and leave you short changed.

Machocruz

Arcane
Lol. Someone said that Capcom backstabbed Nintendo fans. Get a life, these are commercial products, not personal relationships.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'll be legitimately impressed if it really is an open world and you can run off with your shitty 2 star weapon to go fight a wild diablos or something equivalent right away, or mine high level ores to make a powerful weapon, the way you could do those things in Dragon's Dogma. I suspect the reality will be a map like what Toukiden has- 'open' in name only, and actually a series of open areas connected by narrow corridors that are literally gated by the storyline.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
From what I understand it's not open world. They'll use the same map layout, but the areas will be bigger and there won't be loading screens between the interconnected areas.

Damned Registrations

That won't really change much of anything then. You'll lose some cheese strats like going through a gate to heal/sharpen, but you'll also get other cheese strats by being able to kite them to wherever you want and abuse the terrain. I wonder if they'll do anything to discourage using the base camp for free heals constantly, since that'll be a much stronger strat if you can just lure a monster near it.
I'm glad that drop in co-op is in. It was always a bit of a problem in the previous games when people would join a hunt and get dc or just quit and leave you short changed.
Just wait until someone drops in on your mission and dies repeatedly to make you fail. :lol: That was always the real problem imo.

Whatever, I'll play the fuck out of it. Haven't owned a nintendo console since the GC and not interested in handheld versions, so this'll be the first version I've gotten a real chance to play since MHFU.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
That won't really change much of anything then. You'll lose some cheese strats like going through a gate to heal/sharpen, but you'll also get other cheese strats by being able to kite them to wherever you want and abuse the terrain. I wonder if they'll do anything to discourage using the base camp for free heals constantly, since that'll be a much stronger strat if you can just lure a monster near it.

Just wait until someone drops in on your mission and dies repeatedly to make you fail. That was always the real problem imo.

Whatever, I'll play the fuck out of it. Haven't owned a nintendo console since the GC and not interested in handheld versions, so this'll be the first version I've gotten a real chance to play since MHFU.

If anything it will make some armor skills more valuable, like your example of cheesing sharpening, now taking the sharpener skill that speeds up sharpening will have more benefits.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'll just post this here as it has a nice run down for people wondering what's new / old in this title, because there's a lot of confusion and misinformation floating around the internet.

Monster Hunter: World is not a spin-off.
Monster Hunter: World was worked on by the main development team in Japan.
You can play offline.
Fishing, mining, and capturing bugs still in the game.
All 14 weapon types confirmed in the game.
Tails still cuttable.
Hunt, Carve, Forge loop is still there.
Still has the same rewarding and challenging gameplay.
Health, stamina, potions, sharpness still present.
Sound still plays after making a good well done steak.
Targeting locked 30FPS across all platforms (referring to console).
The game uses the MT Framework. Maybe PC as well, weird wording in this one.
Insect Glaive will be in the game.
When asked about Hunter Arts, response was "Brand new title. Brand new gameplay systems in place!"
Separate maps, but zones are gone!
More clarification on maps/zones: "It's not open world game, but all the maps are massive and wide open, without any loading screens :)"
Charge Blade is in, Tonfa is not.
No underwater combat.
No Prowler Mode in Monster Hunter World.
Palicoes are in the game.
In-game voice chat is supported.
You can either choose to sneak past small monsters to avoid fighting them, or kill them to collect/loot their bodies. The world is "hella flexible."
Gestures will be present in Monster Hunter: World.
They are completely focused on World for the western markets, and Monster Hunter: World is once again confirmed as the next main title in the series.
After being asked if there will be a Monster Hunter 5 or a game for the Japanese audiences, they reply was: "This is the next generation of Monster Hunter!"
You can both do drop-in/drop-out co-op, or form a pre-hunt party in Monster Hunter: World.
Multiplayer is online-only, there is no local co-op.
Monster Hunter World is confirmed to NOT have regenerating health. I guess there was a rumor going around about this? Idk..

Also apparently the game was originally being developed as MH5 but then they dropped the number and went with world, I guess maybe because they are really trying to push hard now for worldwide appeal and having a 5th numbered game might make people feel less inclined to get it if they haven't played the series before. So, for all intents and purposes, we can assume that this is MH5.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Yup this os the same reason assasin creed dropped numbers and uses names instead

Damned Registrations

Just wait until someone drops in on your mission and dies repeatedly to make you fail. That was always the real problem imo.

If anything it will make some armor skills more valuable, like your example of cheesing sharpening, now taking the sharpener skill that speeds up sharpening will have more benefits.
Nah, that skill was already overkill. Even with the penalty version, sharpening was safe against pretty much anything outside of rage mode. It might make the penalty too bad to bear using any more, dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

Nah, that skill was already overkill. Even with the penalty version, sharpening was safe against pretty much anything outside of rage mode. It might make the penalty too bad to bear using any more, dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

Naw, and some builds actually benefited from the sharpening skill, especially those weapons that had very high damage but low sharpness (and SnS benefited greatly as well). Yes, you can get sharpening off regardless, but one swipe opposed to three swipes increases your DPS by a large margin indirectly. It was also very easy to gem in as well, so it was a great skill for certain sets and now it has even more use. Also, most skills are overkill, so that's redundant. You can solo g-rank naked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom