Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter: World - pre-release thread

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I hope they release an elder dragon that swims, flies, burrows, and climbs the ceilings just to spite everyone who disagrees.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Whats wrong with Kirin? It's so tiny that I was walking around it, and its attacks miss a lot. Barely felt like an elder dragon at all.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Whats wrong with Kirin? It's so tiny that I was walking around it, and its attacks miss a lot.

Boring and annoying.

Barely felt like an elder dragon at all.

Kirin is only an elder dragon because the hunter guild don't have any proper research on the creature. That's the (dumb) reason why Kirin is classified as one.

sullynathan

Arcane
now that there's health bars, can the player see health for each individual piece of a monster, i.e. arms, legs, tail & head or is the health just for the entire monster.

Perkel

Arcane
now that there's health bars, can the player see health for each individual piece of a monster, i.e. arms, legs, tail & head or is the health just for the entire monster.

Monsters don't have healthbars. This is not souls game where you fight max 2-5 minutes with boss.
Here you can even go at some monsters where you hunt for 30+ minutes.

In MH you read monster. If it got smashed a lot then chance is he will start running away to sleep somewhere and regain health. Or you can see it being tired so it will go somewhere to regain stamina by eating food. When it gets hurt really bad then you will be able to see it limping.

Though above might change a lot considering that MHW is major rework of formula along with AI stuff.

Ivan

Arcane
But what about tactics? Is it about finding out how to defeat it? or just grinding away at it?

The Fish

Arcane
But what about tactics? Is it about finding out how to defeat it? or just grinding away at it?

It's a computer game, what do you expect? "Finding out how to defeat it" means looking up the damage type it's least resistant to on the wiki or learning its attack pattern. Don't expect some emergent puzzle game with staying power, ever.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

If you want to be super tacticool then use items to counter monsters. People online will love you for it. Otherwise it's just learning monster patterns and dealing with it while killing the monster in an acceptable time frame.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think he meant in terms of needing to know patterns as opposed to something where you just braindead spam attacks at shit like an elder scrolls game or diablo clone. In that regard you definitely need to learn how to fight things; you can't really trade hits and expect to survive.

sullynathan

Arcane

Monsters don't have healthbars. This is not souls game where you fight max 2-5 minutes with boss.
Here you can even go at some monsters where you hunt for 30+ minutes.

In MH you read monster. If it got smashed a lot then chance is he will start running away to sleep somewhere and regain health. Or you can see it being tired so it will go somewhere to regain stamina by eating food. When it gets hurt really bad then you will be able to see it limping.

Though above might change a lot considering that MHW is major rework of formula along with AI stuff.
I've played monster Hunter

hajro

Arbiter
Oyy vey supposed final monster list

リオレイア Rathian

リオレイア亜種 Pink Rathian

リオレウス Rathalos

リオレウス亜種 Azure Rathalos

ディアブロス Diablos

ディアブロス亜種 Black Diablos

キリン Kirin

キリン亜種 Oroshi Kirin

クシャルダオラ Kushala Daora

ナナ・テスカトリ Lunastra

テオ・テスカトル Teostra

ヴォルガノス Lavasioth

イビルジョー Deviljho

ボルボロス Barroth

ウラガンキン Uragaan

アルバトリオン Alatreon

アンジャナフ Anjanath

ドスジャグラス Great Jagras

プケプケ Pukei-Pukei

ネルギガンテ Nergigante

ゼノ・ジーヴァ Xeno'jiiva

ゾラ・マグダラオス Zorah Magdaros

クルルヤック Kulu-Ya-Ku

ジュラトドス Jyuratodus

トビカガチ Tobi-Kadachi

パオウルム Paolumu

レイギエナ Legiana

ドスギルオス Great Girros

オドガロン Odogaron

ラドバルキン Radobaan

ヴァルハザク Vaal Hazak

ドドガマル Dodogama

財宝ドラゴン

バゼルギウス Bazelgeuse

ツィツィヤック Tzitzi-Ya-Ku

ジャグラス Jagras

メルノス Mernos

ケストドン Kestodon

ガジャウ Gajau

ラフィノス Raphinos

シャムオス Shamos

バルノス Barnos

ギルオス Girros

ガストドン Gastodon

ノイオス Noios

Perkel

Arcane
looks fake as fuck
Lavasioth is just Plesioth recolor with few different attacks.
List also doesn't have any new monster and all of them are more or less from trailers which means that they would show every monster in trailers, something they never did with any game.

Perkel

Arcane
One thing is true. With this new trailer it is 100% sure that This won't be Monster Hunter Tri in therms of content. Which is pretty amazing considering just how fucking huge monster hunter content usually is and this is their first hd release.

Perkel

Arcane

Really good video. Dude played almost finished game for 12 hours in capcom HQ.

1. No longer annoying filler quests like "Gather 10 mushrooms, kill 5 jaggi, kill 50 vespoids"
Optional quests are now divided into investigation, bounties and deliveries.
Investigations are now quests that involve large monsters and have additional bonuses while bounties are those "filler" quests. Difference is that you can stack up those bounties up to 6 at the time and do them passively while you do quests or free hunt whatever. Deliveries are self explanatory.

So you take kill 10 vespoid bounty and you do it while doing other 3 big quests or while doing some free hunt etc.

2. There is no division between multiplayer and single player quests. All quests can be done either solo or multi. So no longer you need to do two entirely separate quests lines to play solo or multi.

3. Key quest are now properly marked. You no longer need to guess which quests needs to be done to reach new level of quests.

4. Research levels. Now as you scout things like tracks etc you gradually learn more about monster you track and you fill up in game wiki which is very robust on monster weaknesses, points where hits do most damage etc. At start you know nothing about monster and you can't find it via scout flies. You need to find tracks etc of it. Once you do several hunts and track monster several times your scrout flies will show you general direction of monster without those tracks and once you fill out whole data monster will be on map automatically without scout flies at all times.

5. Training room. It is really fucking robust. You can train combos ala fighting game.

6. Differnet houses and pets. You can change how your house looks and you can catch in wild pets and release them in house. Are you from Australia and want to show that ? Catch spider and release in your house.

7. Clans. Up to 50 members with customization of clan badge, private lobbies etc.

8. Arm wrestling is back

9. Wishlist. Something is missing for armor. Check armor in wishlist and everytime you carve or gather materials that wishlist will get you know if you get right items and will tell you if you have enough.

Perkel

Arcane
Ton of new news from GajinHunter:

- multiplayer is both pre and jump in type. So you can start a quest as a pack of hunter and you can add hunter while you play single player.

- Since all quest can be done single and multi difficulty adjust dynamically. So when you start a quest solo. You play solo difficulty. When someone jumps in to your quest game changes dificulty to multiplayer (which is prepared for 3-4 hunters). When you friend jumps out, difficulty will not revert to solo one.

- quest rewards also will be adjusted to multiplayer. so when your friend jumps in in first 10 minutes of the quest then he will get full rewards. After 10 minute mark rewards will get slashed, so while you won't get nothing you won't be able to get full rewards and cheat.

- Framerate on consoles will be like in MH4U. So minimum 30fps and up to 60 fps. If you have ps4pro you will be able to choose mode like framerate. Devs said that game on normal ps4 could dip below 30fps occasionally. This is also good news to pc players as at minimum there will be 60fps and since game is made on MT framework engine PC players should get 144hz+ with any resolution going by the standards set by other MT framework titles on PC.

- PC version is planned and they did some work already but currently they focus solely to make game on console first. They did say that they want to improve some things for pc version.
So imo you should expect MHW on PC at minimum summer 2018 :/. Still better than japanese release only and year of waiting.

- MHW has a lot of new young developers aside from veterans.

- Arena is back. Duh.

- Important story quests with cutscenes always start as single player and later on you can add people via jump in system.

- 4 type of quests. Story ones, Investigation, Bounties, Deliveries.

Story ones are your typical MH ones.
Investigations ARE FINITE AMOUNT where they provide you massive amout of loot.
Bounties and Deliveries are passive ones where you can stack them up and do passively when you do other quests.

There are also events. Unlike before when you had to download them like dlc those are quests that change weekly or daily. Those quests often did give you special gear, you fought some new monster variants, or funny settups like dwarf yen kut ku.

- No loot boxes lol

- FREE HUNT is completely different than in previous games. One you unlock maps in single player like before you can run free hunt on map and hunt whatever you will find but unlike before this time you can meet npcs etc. that will give you additional quests, items, etc. when you explore map in free hunt mode. Kind of works like rpg lite open world. Also in free hunt mode you can still do any quest so you got back to camp and you can take proper quest instantly without going back to main camp.

- Items on map spawn wat faster now. So you won't need to wait x minutes before some mining lode will respawn like before. Also once you will find some items those item generators will be placed on map so you won't need to check wiki where you need to go to catch King Scarabs etc.

- Game messaging system is based around set sentences by developer which will autotranslate to other people who don't know your language. Naturally there will be voice chat support via party system but it is not confirmed if there will be in game voice chat system. There will be keyboard support on PS4 for chat.

Vorark

Erudite
^Might be better, from what Perkel posted. Anyway...

- Since all quest can be done single and multi difficulty adjust dynamically. So when you start a quest solo. You play solo difficulty. When someone jumps in to your quest game changes dificulty to multiplayer (which is prepared for 3-4 hunters). When you friend jumps out, difficulty will not revert to solo one.

Excellent.

Now I'm hoping the monster roster is fake news and we get Tiggy, Narga and Zin. I'm not playing Gen/XX just to catch fight them all in the same game. :(

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
That monster roster hopefully is bs, they wouldn't show every single new monster in the trailer, not to mention how few old ones at the moment.

Otherwise the new trailer looks fantastic, a completely original map and four new monsters, that's awesome.

Perkel

Arcane
did they fix the farming bs? can I finally get a piece of a monsters head when I break it?

There is no farming since MH4. Both MH4 and Gen didn't have farming.

You give one piece of something to cat along with some guild/village/whatever points and cat goes to trade route and brings back loot. This happens every time you finish quest.

So what's wrong with the roster, and what should it be?

There are like only 2-3 new monsters not shown in trailers and those are variants of monsters rather than original unique monsters. Capcom never shown all their monsters in trailers so list is probably bullshit.

not to mention how few old ones at the moment.

As much as i want to fight Tiggy with all new graphics, moveset etc. i frankly hope MHW will feature almost all new monsters. They already bring back Barroth, Rathian, Rathalos.

One thing is true though i would wish to see Tiggy with full anger mode with MHW mechanics where it would just follow you like mad all over place. I mean this is literally how most of MH cinematics presented MH games while in real game nothing like this happened. Now that MHW mechanics changed and enraged monsters will chase you down all over the place Tigrex would be like best thing to show that feature since Tigrex most of the time is in rage mode.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
There is no farming since MH4. Both MH4 and Gen didn't have farming.

You give one piece of something to cat along with some guild/village/whatever points and cat goes to trade route and brings back loot. This happens every time you finish quest.
portable 3rd is the latest MH I've played. In that you can send your cats on a mission to collect shit but at the same time, it was still gated behind low percentages of loot drops.

What I meant was, when I fought a monster and broke his head, I expect to be given a head piece when I complete the mission but instead I get something like a leg piece because that has a 70% chance to drop but a head piece has a 1% chance to drop so I end up having to grind the same monster. Is that gone?

Perkel

Arcane
What I meant was, when I fought a monster and broke his head, I expect to be given a head piece when I complete the mission but instead I get something like a leg piece because that has a 70% chance to drop but a head piece has a 1% chance to drop so I end up having to grind the same monster. Is that gone?

When you destroy part of monster like tail etc you get increased chance to get part coming from destroyed part.

So when you finish quest you get standard quest loot which has its own chances.
Additional capture loot which usually is a lot less that standard reward but you get way better chance for something good.
And then there is monster broken parts loot which gives you high chance of getting loot from destroyed part.

There is no 100% chance to get loot "a" from any of those 3 tiers.

While there are some parts of monsters that are really hard to get like plates, rubbies etc. overall you will need to reach complete end game for them to be useful.

Then there is standard gear loot. MH does usually give you a lot of things to create at smithy way before you can obtain loot for it because those things are based on i think half materials or special materials. Like you need 3 materials and you find 2 of them then you will be able to see armor based on those 3 materials to create.

I think Monster Hunter Freedom had the worst RNG. Tri, 3rd didn't have that much problem aside from that shitty Jaggi headpiece at start. Mh4u similar g.jaggi and outside of that almost no problems getting loot until you hit very late game. Gen didn't have any problems aside from end game loot.

Overall things like those are issues when you play alone. If you have online you can quickly get even most of end game hard to get loot quickly.

Also upgrading stuff cost a lot less in therms of special loot. Often creating new weapon from scratch requires a lot of special loot while upgrading only basic stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom