Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter: World - pre-release thread

Jinn

Arcane
Tjere are still dreadful mushroom gathering/egg quests

And even these are useful as just basic gathering missions for components for other items and weapons.

Perkel

Arcane
Hot damn they well all into AAA this time. New monsters all look awesome as fuck and they don't seem to follow standard MH formula used since PS2 era. Give them two legs some wings, and share moveset with other monsters.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
My god now this looks like a proper new MH. The new monster count seems fantastic already, my last hope is that they keep a lot of monsters from previous games so we have a high count.
I will be sad if I don't get to fight seregios and gore magala, those were so fun. In general, most of the 4th generation monsters were some of my favorite.

Perkel

Arcane
Nah. It is finally monster hunter 2 people wanted for almost decade so they should focus completely on new monsters. While barroth is kind of fun Rathalos is something from every mh game and frankly there is no hype hunting it anymore.

Unless they will change completely how it behaves fight etc but they could do as well just make new monster.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I'm not so much for having stuff like barroth or rathalos back, they are pretty simplistic and not the funnest to fight. Zinogre, Seregios, Zamtrios, Nerscylla, Najarala, Gore Mag were all really special and exciting though.

hajro

Arbiter
My god now this looks like a proper new MH. The new monster count seems fantastic already, my last hope is that they keep a lot of monsters from previous games so we have a high count.
I will be sad if I don't get to fight seregios and gore magala, those were so fun. In general, most of the 4th generation monsters were some of my favorite.
The old large monsters that will be in the game can be counted on one hand, dont expect 4U numbers in this game.

Perkel

Arcane
dont expect 4U numbers in this game.

I wouldn't be so sure. They are investing a lot in this and they want to build worldwide brand (that sells outside of japan too). Main team after 4U has been exclusively working on this and from interviews they started work on this before even 4U finished. While it is reasonable to assume it won't reach 4U numbers i wouldn't put it in non U/G category.
They also use MT Framework and not some new engine so from day one they were working on engine that is well understood and tested (though they made some graphic changes).

If you look actually at environments you can see clearly that each environment is jam packed with new stuff or small monsters, from flies, dragonflies etc to bigger ones you can skin so from environments alone you see that they don't cut corners and in fact they expand scope.

From monsters they shown we know that there are already:

- Jaggras (that yellow iguana thing)
- furry T-rex (Angenoth)
- Rathalos
- that kut-ku cousin stupid chicken like monster
- fluffy bat
- lavasioth mud cousin
- chameleon like tongue monster
- Barioth
- that blue like monster with wiskers
- huge elder dragon
- we saw already rathian set so we can assume Rathian is in
- diablos
- new cover monster that looked like cross between diablos and devil itself.

Those are already 13 big monsters revealed months before release in 3 short trailers.

Let us compare now it to MHTri and MH4 releases:

MHTri - 18 big monsters
MH4 - 52 Big monsters

It is easy to assume this will be release in vein of MH4 or maybe MH4+ rather than MHTri. MH4U had total 74 big monsters and i don't think they will reach that much amount of content but from already revealed content it is easy to assume 50-60 monsters is logically possible.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Good point. Honestly, this last trailer really reversed some of my expectations content wise. There's a new map that isn't like any of the standard ones, they have a shitload of detail in them, and the amount of new monsters shown so far foreshadows that the unshown content will be quite large.

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like there will be 6 maps in base game. This thing on right says "habitats" and first one is ancient forest. So they have shown already:

Ca0uawC.jpg

- Ancient Forest
- Desert
- That blue, sea botom like

That leaves 3 more main maps + all other questline/arena maps.
MH4U had also 6 main maps and 2 of them had night theme (while mhw all maps have night and day cycle)

So in therms of environment considering those maps are huuuge compared to earlier mh maps scope is vastly expanded.

Perkel

Arcane
also many people thought that japan will scoff at MHW being ps4 only game there instead of switch or 3ds:

Perkel

Arcane
This is super neat:

Basically when you capture monster, trail him etc. you gain something like research points and you unlock monster wikipedia which tells you shitload of things that veterans usually had to scourge kiranico for like which parts are great for cutting, what elemental damage, drops etc.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
We should be able to have doggo companions instead of cats

Yeah, the meowing gets annoying so I hardly use the cats. Chakas FTW.
The shakas in 3U were infinitely more helpful than the cats in 4U for me. The cats seem to just fuck around and choose to help me if they feel like it, and randomly decide to activate their abilities. Whereas the shakas had that fantastic mask system and I could make them do exactly what I needed with them, and signalling them actually made them respond with their ability exactly on point.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Niggergante looks interesting with the spikes regrowing. I kind of hoped that he would inflict the bleed effect but it looks like not probably.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom