Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter: World - pre-release thread

mogwaimon

Magister
Also Offline/Online seems to be merged together now. There won't be distinction between online quests and offline ones.
What exactly is that supposed to mean? That makes me worried that the game will be worse off for it, since I exclusively play these games solo.

Could just mean there's no distinction between offline quests and online quests, but I agree it is cause for concern. I also play solo exclusively when I play MH and similar games.

Vorark

Erudite
Don't think you should be concerned about it, at least without more info available. At worst it will be like completing the gathering hall quests solo.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I mean, if monster stats don't scale with more players, they're either going to be really fucking trivial for groups or really fucking brutal for solo players. Especially the status effects, considering how that system works.

Hopefully they just mean the guild progression won't be seperate, which would be a huge improvement. Was always retarded having to do a bunch of stupid 'gather mushroom' and 'carry eggs' and shit missions to get to the real fights, especially the second time around if you wanted to do both solo and multiplayer.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I'd prefer brutal for solo players. I fucking earned my end game armor in 3U after soloing the event abyssal lagiacrus twice before learning there was a non event version.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I mean, if monster stats don't scale with more players, they're either going to be really fucking trivial for groups or really fucking brutal for solo players. Especially the status effects, considering how that system works.

Hopefully they just mean the guild progression won't be seperate, which would be a huge improvement. Was always retarded having to do a bunch of stupid 'gather mushroom' and 'carry eggs' and shit missions to get to the real fights, especially the second time around if you wanted to do both solo and multiplayer.
I'd hope for a Diablo like system where someone joins the game and the monsters are automatically stronger. Although this is Capcom were talking about so.......

hajro

Arbiter
Also Offline/Online seems to be merged together now. There won't be distinction between online quests and offline ones.
What exactly is that supposed to mean? That makes me worried that the game will be worse off for it, since I exclusively play these games solo.

Could just mean there's no distinction between offline quests and online quests, but I agree it is cause for concern. I also play solo exclusively when I play MH and similar games.
There were online only G rank quests in previous games, probably that.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

That would be some top tier bullshit if it happens. Locking part of the game behind online only.

Perkel

Arcane

Usually each MH game had two separate modes with two separate quests pools. Also each game structured those pools into low rank, high rank, g rank.

So let us say you are interested only in single player so far. So you play to high rank and you finish game story. You feel happy and shit and all but you want to play G-rank quests which are almost always only for multiplayer. So you switch up multiplayer aaaaand you see that you need to play almost every single quest you did before again and start from 1 star quests.

So you may end up playing game twice which isn't exactly amazing to experience. Especially if you have OCD and you want to 100% game you may end up playing 300-400h just to finish those quests in both multi andsingle.

Now from this interview it seems that there will be no longer online/offline quests or maybe they will again be doubled but by ending single player quest maybe multiplayer quest also will be finished.

I mean in generations there were few exclusive multiplayer quests but i find no reason why finishing single player tetsucabra quest shouldn't also clear multi one at same time.

IMO it is love QoL feature if it works as i said. Problem only will come if they will move everything into one pot so we will have either static or dynamic deficulty based on number of players hunting.

If they will choose static then it could be bad news as usually single player monsters are fucking easy while best fights are multiplayer ones.

hajro

Arbiter

That would be some top tier bullshit if it happens. Locking part of the game behind online only.
You know that was how it was in previous games?

Perkel

Arcane

G ranks almost always was behind online. Though you could play all online in single player.

Imo for experienced MH player single player is always to easy so many people just skip single and play mutliplayer from start. Playing offline online (lol) you can unlock everything you can in single.

G ranks missions are a bit special. They are motherfucking hard to play alone. Not just in sense of well it 1 shotted me but monster design usually is different. G rank monsters often can combo while it is not something you can find even on high rank quests. G rank monster often have new unique attacks, some of old attacks are now even faster or slightly changed etc.

It is possible to finish everything in single player. Though you need to have skill to do that.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Bullshit. I'm talking about G rank. None of G rank is locked behind online only in 3U or 4U.

mogwaimon

Magister
The only MH game I remember that actually locked quests to where you had to be online to play them was MH1 on the PS2, All the PSP games were adhoc only IIRC so you could open up an adhoc lobby and just do quests solo. Maybe that's changed in 3U on up but I don't think so, Capcom knows there are many people who, even if they don't solo exclusively, like to challenge themselves by attempting G rank solo.

Perkel

Arcane
Tri i think required Online 3U doesn't require it so you can play alone.

------

I also forget thing from interview. It seems like they will follow with additional content like they did with every other MH game. So they will update game with new quests armors etc every week. Some of those quests were really fun (that small yan kut ku).

On other hand i don't think they will change method to aquire G version of their game so prepare for 60$ expansion.

mogwaimon

Magister
Yea they dodged the question when someone asked them about G-rank, but I don't expect G rank will be in from the outset anyways. G-rank always shows up in expansions, never in the initial version of the games.

But I mean, that seems okay to me. Tri also cut down on a lot of monsters and other content like MH:W probably will but by 3U they had apparently tripled the amount of monsters. And their games have only gotten significantly larger with time; you know MHFU had like 396 quests and that game was long as hell. But the new MH:XX apparently has 1000 quests, so maybe MH:W's expansion will follow the trend and we'll get 1200 quests.

Perkel

Arcane
Yea they dodged the question when someone asked them about G-rank, but I don't expect G rank will be in from the outset anyways. G-rank always shows up in expansions, never in the initial version of the games.

But I mean, that seems okay to me. Tri also cut down on a lot of monsters and other content like MH:W probably will but by 3U they had apparently tripled the amount of monsters. And their games have only gotten significantly larger with time; you know MHFU had like 396 quests and that game was long as hell. But the new MH:XX apparently has 1000 quests, so maybe MH:W's expansion will follow the trend and we'll get 1200 quests.

I wouldn't be so sure.

MHWorld is jump into HD era. Unlike before they simply can't reuse assets (or slightly touch them up) and each monster/environment/weapon/animation/armor etc requires A LOT more time than before to make.

I totally expect MH Tri amount of content which is to say not a lot. Obviously with jump into HD era they will be building up new monsters etc so in 3-4 years maybe they will reach 3U-4U amount of content.

As for XX while there are shitload of quests it is by far weakest MH from quest standpoint from all mh games. There are simply way to many shitty quests like collect 3 eggs and shit.

I have with one char finished every single village (offline) quest and i remember fighting royal ludorch like 12 times.

MH4U was far more impressive in therms of quest design (especially since there were a lot of quest that actually played like quests aka they had story).

After mh4u i totally expect they will bring even more story content like in mh4u along with those awesome monster intros which totally sucked in mhxx.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
Imo for experienced MH player single player is always to easy so many people just skip single and play mutliplayer from start. Playing offline online (lol) you can unlock everything you can in single.

Don't you miss upgrades like better farm and cooking bonus if you skip the offline content?

sullynathan

Arcane
O9ggeCl0TgS8Nhtfbdnneg.png
0wTRb3JGSrC0QTZ6ID2FPA.png
mUCwFX4NRKmUX9dGYcR2rw.png

:russiastronk:
this is rich coming from the guys that pretty much rehash the same game dozen times and fill them up with lots of shitty farming

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Maybe the concerns about few monsters was misplaced, it's looking like they have a lot of new monsters so far in addition to old ones.

Jinn

Arcane
Been playing some MH Portable 3rd HD lately and enjoying it a lot. Seems to be be a more well-rounded single player experience than Tri. If someone told me I would enjoy this type of "grindy" experience before, I wouldn't have believed them. Monster Hunter makes it work, and makes it work well.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing some MH Portable 3rd HD lately and enjoying it a lot. Seems to be be a more well-rounded single player experience than Tri. If someone told me I would enjoy this type of "grindy" experience before, I wouldn't have believed them. Monster Hunter makes it work, and makes it work well.
same. The description make it sounds like shitty jrpg grindfest, but while the core gameplay and quest design is same, the variety is what makes the game fun.

Lots of equipment, monsters, skills, etc. With equipment based skills and progression, it is rrally easy to Change playstyle when you are bored, or rotate between several playstyle.

With level based progression, you either stuck with one type, or make class not matter as you can max everything "aka modern """RPG"""

Bored of sword? Switch to bowgun,! Sure your equipment will probably one tier below your current main, but with 1 to 3 hunts, you will be ae to craft a new bowgun that has the same tier as your old weapons.

Tjere are still dreadful mushroom gathering/egg quests, but most of them are optional, and those quest that come fron NPCs usually give reward that makes it worth it.

Excellent game design if you tell me, for a game that focus on repetition, there need to be flexibility and variety so players dont get bored.

sullynathan

Arcane
Monster Hunter does repetition well in combat and monsters except for when you have to farm for new weapon and armor. That's not fun

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom