Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Hunter Generations

Perkel

Arcane
Main reason why Capcom choose nintendo at the time was failing of PSP. MH in japan was hot mutliplayer game thus they moved it to 3DS. Second reason was to get everyone on same platform so if you know someone playing mh4 then you know for 100% you can play with him.

Thing since MH4 mh got online which works really well thus you don't need to care about those two above.

Its always extra cost and according to Capcom XX sales in Japan were disappointing for them

As in didn't reach their estimated target not that it was failure financially.

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like improved resolution, some decent AA and you can play with 3DS. So if you have 3DS you essentially have 2 handhelds to play with someone together. Framerate unknown since trailer is only 30fps. Textures look exactly the same without any improvements.

25 august 2017

Looks like there are some improvement to textures as well afterall. They also seem to remove that yellow pisfilter and changed poor looking bloom into sometihing higher quality that don't destroy details. Characters now have self-shadows and shadows overall are massively improved.

KE6chSQ.jpg

6KLHexQ.jpg

Vorark

Erudite
^ Water looks a bit better too.

Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. launches August 25 in Japan, debut trailer
http://gematsu.com/2017/05/monster-...ch-ver-launches-august-25-japan-debut-trailer

MHXX-Switch-August-25-Dated-JP-Init.jpg

Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. will launch for Switch in Japan on August 25 for 5,800 yen at retail and 5,546 yen via download, Capcom announced at Monster Hunter Championship 2017.

A Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. Special Pack Switch hardware bundle will also be available for 36,280 yen.

Save data from the 3DS version of Monster Hunter XX can be transferred to the Switch version and vice-versa through the Internet. Save data from Monster Hunter Generations can also be transferred to the Switch version, but not vice-versa. The Switch version supports 1080p resolution, the ability to play in TV and handheld modes, and four-player local and Internet play, including Internet-only cross-play with the 3DS version.

Vorark

Erudite
I know double posting is bad, but there are interesting rumours floating around the internet about MH5:

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable. -> the port was indeed true.

Seems the souce of the rumours is 4chan. It was posted months ago and then we get XX for the Switch, so there might be some degree of truth to it afterall.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I know double posting is bad, but there are interesting rumours floating around the internet about MH5:

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable. -> the port was indeed true.

Sonyfags have been butthurt about losing Monster Hunter since MH4, maybe even Tri. "Rumors" (blatant lies) like this have been cropping up ever since then.

And the part about the portable series being "resurrected" for Switch, what does that even mean? MH has been portable only since 2013.

Vorark

Erudite
It would mean having main series on consoles and the portable line on the Switch, like during the PS2 and PSP days. PS2 got the mainline games (MH & MH Dos) and the PSP got the Portable entries (MH Portable, P2nd and P3rd) which were downscaled games. Last one was Portable 3rd.

None of the 3DS game are considered part of the "Portable" series, I think. MH4 being the first mainline to be released on a portable hardware, ie 3DS. The Grank Tri version was released as MH3G.

Edit: To add more fuel to the fire, X director was the same of the other Portable line of games. You also visit the towns of said titles: Kokoto (MH Portable), Pokke (MHP2nd) and Yukumo (P3rd).

I've been hearing the open world MH rumour since before MH4 was announced. Wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be Monster Hunter meets Dragon's Dogma.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah bunch of bollocks and if you think it through idiotic.

You are Sony. You want to buy exclusivity from Capcom on MH.

Capcom: Main series will be on Switch while you get random spin off that is untested.

Sony: Deal !

Yeah that happened... not.

Secondly since switch has some power MH doesn't need "portable" version as no one expect it to suddenly jump into latest graphic just upgrade enough with textures and polycount + some bumpmapping and maybe a better lighting aka everything doable on Switch.

Secondly MHX isn't "hit" it sold worse than MH4U and MHXX underperforms for even low expectations Capcom had.

MH5 will be multiplatform title. There is no need for exclusivity because handhelds are more or less dead and you don't need anymore live friends to play MH game because ONLINE actually works since MH4U without problems.

As for what MH5 will be i idk. But i think they will be doing major rework of MH. They can no longer use PS2 graphics so with upgrade to graphics they will be updating probably other things like mission structure etc.

Vorark

Erudite
Perkel, you got it backwards. According to the rumour, Switch would get something akin to the "Portable" series (in this case, the XX port) and PS4 the mainline (MH5). Would be a return to the PS2 & PSP dynamic.

But yeah, I'd like to see a proper multiplat MH, as long as the mechanics don't get dumbed down.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel, you got it backwards. According to the rumour, Switch would get something akin to the "Portable" series (in this case, the XX port) and PS4 the mainline (MH5). Would be a return to the PS2 & PSP dynamic.

But yeah, I'd like to see a proper multiplat MH, as long as the mechanics don't get dumbed down.

There is no difference between PS2 MH and portable MH beside a bit worse graphic and more content in portable version.

Same goes for Tri and 3rd. 3rd is just Tri with more content and cats instead of shakalakas - underwater because PSP already was streatched to limits with its hardware.

Perkel

Arcane
my god look at them ground texturess.....

Nlpy-AgYMWeJ32k1qoc8kErHSo6tI95L0emZcmGL3nU.jpg

They really did somerework. I still remember how MH4 A.Steppe was shit texture wise...

Emmanuel2

Savant
I'd say worse. MH X/Gen has the dumbest end game grind. I feel triggered thinking about Hellblade Glavenus, Dreadking Rathalos, Grimclaw Tigrex or Silverwind Nargacuga.

Don't forget about the stupid talisman system that was introduced in 4 and got worse IMHO in gen.

Other than that, Dreadking Rathalos level 6 through 10 is pretty fucking bullshit even with a group and especially bullshit when solo-ing.

The rest are pretty fucking awesome, fun and can be easy through practice but that's because you rightfully earned it. Dreadking on the other hand...

Vorark

Erudite
Don't forget about the stupid talisman system that was introduced in 4 and got worse IMHO in gen.

I think charms were introduced in Tri. Heard there's melding in 4 but I never played the game long enough to unlock it. Btw, what did Generations change?

Anyway, Switch port looks better than 3U for Wii U. Not interested in it, tho.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I think charms were introduced in Tri.

You were right, they were introduced in Tri but I stopped playing it due to my Wii breaking so I wasn't able to experience it. Also I think I misrated your post, trackpad acting up again.

In 4U, soft reset + melding or just melding in general was fast, easy and with a guaranteed 12++ but if you wanted more rare 10 rolls and with the added bonus of good relics, you can run easy level 140 quests both of which prevented you from losing your mind because you know how many you're getting and how good the chances are.

In Gen, you resulted into grinding that coal quest where you farm for 10 coal then turn them in one-by-one with very few to around 10-12 (very rare) with r3 charms as the minimum as a reward and since it's only up until HR the charms have low chances to have the good/decent stats let alone god charms. Melding became shit too as it required hyper tickets IIRC and wasn't worth the reward at all since the charms actually became lower in terms of tier.

Sometimes, I wondered if the speedrunners' charms in MHXTA wiki were all powersaved.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'd say worse. MH X/Gen has the dumbest end game grind. I feel triggered thinking about Hellblade Glavenus, Dreadking Rathalos, Grimclaw Tigrex or Silverwind Nargacuga.

Other than that, Dreadking Rathalos level 6 through 10 is pretty fucking bullshit even with a group and especially bullshit when solo-ing.

The rest are pretty fucking awesome, fun and can be easy through practice but that's because you rightfully earned it. Dreadking on the other hand...

None of them are awesome or fun after being forced to kill them so many times though. Getting Hellblade Powder was pure suffering. In past Monster Hunter's you could luck out with carves and make a set of armor and / or weapon quite fast, but here you have to keep upgrading them and redoing the same lame shit for a longer period of time because they gated your material progression behind the different tiers.

Emmanuel2

Savant
None of them are awesome or fun after being forced to kill them so many times though.

Different strokes, I personally had fun killing Hellblade and Silverwind over and over even after getting through the tiers and the sets, Grimclaw to a lesser extent. There's just something about fighting them that's fun especially when solo or duo. The only thing that I don't want future MH titles would have is the forced tiering/gating, that I agree with.

Perkel

Arcane
huh you people sound like MHF higher tiered gear wasn't bullshit to get. In fact getting gear in MHG is piece easy compared to even MH4 as you basically have 50% different sets to choose and create.

BTW you can transfer MHG save to MHXX you just need to delete any EVENT quest armor/item/weapon you have in box and unequip all armor.

here is tutorial:

https://pastebin.com/Z1PPuX5F

Vorark

Erudite
In Gen, you resulted into grinding that coal quest where you farm for 10 coal then turn them in one-by-one with very few to around 10-12 (very rare) with r3 charms as the minimum as a reward and since it's only up until HR the charms have low chances to have the good/decent stats let alone god charms. Melding became shit too as it required hyper tickets IIRC and wasn't worth the reward at all since the charms actually became lower in terms of tier.

Similar to Portable 3rd then, people would spend ages mining in the volcano area.

Freedom Unite had the Veggie Elder, whom you could exchange tickets to get hard drops like rubies. Problem was you needed to play multi or fight dual Rajangs in a special DLC in order to maybe get those tickets. :|

hackncrazy

Savant

There is no difference between PS2 MH and portable MH beside a bit worse graphic and more content in portable version.

Same goes for Tri and 3rd. 3rd is just Tri with more content and cats instead of shakalakas - underwater because PSP already was streatched to limits with its hardware.

If 3rd Portable is Tri/3U without water, that makes me think that is the best version out there.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I didn't play much of Tri, but from what I did, water wasn't nearly as annoying as the usual burrowing enemies that like to waste your time moving between zones infinitely.

Perkel

Arcane
I think water was brilliant addition to MH formula. Problem is that controls at the time were simply bad.

Wii doesn't have second analog so and for water you need proper camera control
3DS didn't have second analog which means same problem
3rd didn't have underwater so it sold best and wasn't that much criticized

Meanwhile i have mh3u on n3ds and with proper camera controls (even if they only allow for 4-5 vertical stages) is enough to properly swim in water without issues.

Ultimately i think underwater controls needs refinement same as climbing mechanic which became good only in mh4.

I think for MH5 they should get back underwater as after playing 3U it feels like proper difference in hunting some monsters.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Controls were fine. Didn't have a problem with it on the Wii, didn't have a problem with it on the WiiU, had a slight problem with it on the 3DS because of the small screen, but hunting monsters was always more cumbersome on a portable device to begin with. The real issue was that lots of weapons got shit underwater move sets.

hajro

Arbiter
PC MH when reeeeeeeeeeeeeee

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom