Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Hunter Generations

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I didn't say it's not fun. I like the idea of guard lancing more than evade lancing (even though in practice it doesn't work out this way for me), but it's just not as viable as evade Lancing because it's not aggressive enough. If you can get into Bushido style counter strike lancing, you don't need the armor kills Guard +2 since Bushido apparently gives it for free. I had a hard time getting a grip on the Bushido style block / counter, however. I can see it being pretty good in the hands of a better player.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I was replaying the demo with SnS again and I finally nailed the positioning and timing with Shoryugeki (or kept getting incredibly lucky) and it is a thing of beauty to behold. This weapon is such a joy now. I was always a fan of it and it was my main in 3U and quaternary weapon in 4U, but it is so powerful now. The Sword Oils and back hop evade + charge attack that lets you loop an infinite combo without having to fix your positioning in between hits and the surprisingly useful Hunter Arts makes this my weaponfu for this gen.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Mained a Stylish Bomber in 4U and it was a blast speedrunning things because of how good the SnS was in that game coupled with the bombs. Now in MHG we have oils that adds affinity and KO to our actual sword attacks plus a hunter art that makes an invulnerable, the weapon just went from good to awesome.

Tried Adept LS on the demo and managed to get 4:38 on the Narga offline and 21:32 (Holy shit that took long) on the Multi Narga solo. I feel that the LS is in a great place now despite being outshined by most if not all the weapons back in 4U.

Perkel

Arcane
apparently one shop broke street date (shopto)
edit: aaaaand it is on torrents already... Capcom won't be happy about this i take.

Cm6KUERXYAAoIQR.jpg:large

Perkel

Arcane
I wish they would give you infinite storage or like 30 pages.
On other hand i am scared my OCD would kill me.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Mained a Stylish Bomber in 4U and it was a blast speedrunning things because of how good the SnS was in that game coupled with the bombs. Now in MHG we have oils that adds affinity and KO to our actual sword attacks plus a hunter art that makes an invulnerable, the weapon just went from good to awesome.

Tried Adept LS on the demo and managed to get 4:38 on the Narga offline and 21:32 (Holy shit that took long) on the Multi Narga solo. I feel that the LS is in a great place now despite being outshined by most if not all the weapons back in 4U.

I would not think very much of the hunt timers in the demo. None of the armors come with weapon skills and the online hunts have souped up stats that they won't have in the full game. It was the same with the MH4U demo.

And yes Perkel they need to give infinite storage FFS :argh:

Perkel

Arcane
I think they just want people to have time to do other things in life than MH.
:D

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The only thing you do outside of Monster Hunter is wait for the next installment of Monster Hunter, or you order MH plushies and figurines to fill in the void.

Perkel

Arcane
Now that you mention it. Monster Hunter Generations is probably last monster hunter game before huge graphical upgrade.

Mh games didn't change much graphically since MH1, there were some small changes but overall game graphics stayed mostly the same through almost 10 years.

Question is: what will Capcom do ? Capcom devs said openly they want to make MH game with huge graphical update. Maybe even back to consoles for a bit or make it truly multiplatform title since now it sells a lot in west and most of people either way play via online unlike in PSP days.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
We can only hope, but who knows. Monster Hunter is one of the few real games that Japanese people bother to play anymore and most likely because it's on a handheld. The console MH games never sold as much in Japan.

Edit: Actually, we should be careful what we wish for. In the event that a Monster Hunter game finally does comes out for a real console again, it could very well be that it'll be for Nintendo's new console, the NX. Now that would well and truly suck penis.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There's also the issue that a graphical update will mean a huge drop in variety of gear and monsters. Basically like when Tri came out.

Martius

Liturgist
Edit: Actually, we should be careful what we wish for. In the event that a Monster Hunter game finally does comes out for a real console again, it could very well be that it'll be for Nintendo's new console, the NX. Now that would well and truly suck penis.
Well, there was already 3U on both wii u and 3ds. I would say there is some chance for next numbered entry on nx and 3ds if nx will turn out to be stationary console.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There's also the issue that a graphical update will mean a huge drop in variety of gear and monsters. Basically like when Tri came out.

I'd be OK with. Tri and 3U is objectively the best MonHun gen when it came to the monsters.

Well, there was already 3U on both wii u and 3ds. I would say there is some chance for next numbered entry on nx and 3ds if nx will turn out to be stationary console.

But the game was developed for the 3DS and ported to the WiiU. If they want to make a graphically superior MonHun then they'd have to make it for a console first. And if they make it for the NX then chances are that the handheld equivalent could end up being an N3DS exclusive, which would also be shit. I'm OK with a new graphically superior MonHun as long as it's on the PS4, but that's not likely to happen. Or PC. Make it for the PC finally you faggots.

Perkel

Arcane

True but at the same time low amount of monsters and gear means that they can focus on innovation this time and later match content with G version or rd.

Frankly i want underwater back. MH games need more variety in how you hunt monsters, verticality added a lot to formula and underwater imo should be part of this too.

Imo they should focus on hunt aspect of MH games more. Bigger maps where you actually need to find monster and track him instead of small locations. Similary i would love to see rework of rage mode and limping.

In case of rage mode positions should be changed. Monster is the one that hunts you and best way of action would be to try to stay away for a while as monster will actually try to hunt you down on map.

Limping is to predictable and painball is way to effective. Some monsters should be way harder to find that others who can't fly or dive into lake.

This partially worked in Tri as few underwater related monsters would try to hide in water.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Hunting them would also tie in well with ambush/trapping tactics. Meat never really seemed effective in my experience, aside from the apes. Rage mode definitely should be a sign to play defensively and counter after it gets tired, the problem is that players have nothing to defend so it's too easy to hide from them till it wears off. Maybe some kind of mechanic where successfully defending against a raging monster tires it out, while fleeing from it lets it recover normally?

More variety would be nice too. Would like to have the option of straight up fighting some monsters without having to hunt them, like attacking their nest for example. Or a mission to simply distract them for a while. I also like the multi-part missions, where you fight the same enemy multiple times, breaking things off and gradually weakening it.

Perkel

Arcane
I think what they need to change is to personalize mechanics per monster.

Some monsters should run away more than others while some monsters instead of running away would fight even harder the more you win.

Make Bulldrome running away actual mechanic that needs to be adressed. So he starts running away and he won't stop unless you sneak and ensnare him.

On other hand Tigrex would be complete opposite. Almost non stop rage mode and player would need to effectively use surroundings to get an edge as Tigrex in rage mode would hunt and follow you even when you would try to run away. In case if he would loose sight of you he would try to fly and find you this way.

Currently every monster behaves exactly the same. normal rage tired normal rage .... limping and most of them behave the same way as in they see you they attack you until they are in limping stage or almost.

Another idea: Some monster is actually super hard while he is in normal as it is precise but when you push it it becames more and more enraged, attacks are more lethal but it is not so precise as before

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Frankly i want underwater back.

This. It was a bit difficult at first, but once I got the hang of it, I really enjoyed it. Caedus is also one of my favorite elder dragon fights. Then there were monsters like Gobul which was just flat out great. You had to actually pay attention to your environment so you wouldn't get sneak attacked by this insane fish. I think the underwater combat got a bit more flack than it deserved from the hunter community, but the opinion on it has gotten a bit more relaxed over the years.

Perkel

Arcane
They just need to improve controls because that is why it got so much flak.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
They just need to improve controls because that is why it got so much flak.

Some people hated swimming so much that they just wanted it gone instead of improved. I'm thalassophobic and I still enjoyed it, despite the controls being a bit wonky and needing to get used to them. Personally I don't think the controls were that awful, but the real issue was that some of the weapons had pretty awful move sets when swimming. SnS was kinda bad, for example.

The Fish

Arcane
I'm really struggling to justify buying handheld for monster hunter alone, as good as it might be. I don't need the hardware to play DS classics like ghost trick and order of ecclesia. It seems the best games are RPGs but I'm burnt out on blobbers at the moment. Are there a handful of games worth getting?

Perkel

Arcane
I'm really struggling to justify buying handheld for monster hunter alone, as good as it might be. I don't need the hardware to play DS classics like ghost trick and order of ecclesia. It seems the best games are RPGs but I'm burnt out on blobbers at the moment. Are there a handful of games worth getting?

Out of top of my head:

- trauma center games (playing as surgeon using stylus, suprisingly good, DS)
- all castelvania games there are including all metroidvania ones mostly on DS. Aria of Sorrow is Symphony of the Night quality. Order of Ecclessia is worse than it a lot.
- Shim Megami Tensei Devil survivor overlocked 1 and 2 - SRPG with SMT monsters. Actually better than most of SMT games
- Fire Emblem games Awekening (currenly playing and actually it is quite good) and Fates
- 3 Monster hunter games, 3U, 4U and Generations. Despite usually going for latest each MH game have worthy single player campaign.
- Rune Factory 4. Great harvest moon with fantasy mix (i have like 80 hours in that and finished it, great humor btw)
- Zero Escape trilogy. 999 on DS and VLR and ZTD on 3DS. Fantastic mix between Visual novel and puzzles with very strong story (by dex standards not casul standards)
- All Ace attorney games. First 3 games are fucking awesome especially first one, later 2 still are great but less so. They are mostly adventure games light.
- Ocarina of Time is great
- Once your dungeon crawler burned out sydrom passes you have only best of the best blobbers to play: Souls hackers on 3DS which is remaster of DS game and Strange Journey. Both of them are waaaay above most of SMT games.

Once you finish you can sell your system and be in black.

Oh and 3DS is currently best emulation platform outside of PC. NES, SNES, GBA, DS, 3DS on sigle system all in native form.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
3DS has a shitload of good games to justify it even if you are burned out on crawlers. Lucky for me Perkel did all the heavy lifting and listed some of the good ones.

Perkel

Arcane
One more day :happytrollboy:

Not for me :D got mine early and i figured out how to get streaming working:
need to fiddle with quality for better fps. On my n3ds it works normally but it streams only 25 fps at best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom