Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Hunter Generations

Perkel

Arcane

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So who's ready to hun some mons? Je suis monté?

Edit: SnS has been injected with steroids. It only does EVERYTHING now apparently. There are new items that you can apply for SnS called oils, and one of the strongest oils adds Exhaust damage to every hit you do with the SnS, and if you hit the head it does and added KO damage so you can knock out monsters. Holy crap that's huge! The new moves, especially the evade that follows up with a charged slam attack, are so gorgeous. The only thing that I don't like about Generations so far are the new super moves that you activate after charging the bar. It's just one more thing you need to keep track of and the way to activate them doesn't feel all that intuitive. Anyway, I had my copy pre ordered a long time ago, and I can't wait to get SnSing Guild style when the game comes out. Fuu~ yeah.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Nah i also was in hate camp toward special moves but after playing MHG i can safely say they are now and will be part of MH games for future.
I think main difference here is that unlike people think you can only use max 3 of them at the same time and depending on your style you can use just one.
Honestly it feels more like Additional buttons for new moves that 3ds lacks button for than special moves.
You gain new moves with finishing new quests (similary how new weapons were added in Tri) and you choose before quest what moves you want. Some are defensive (like evade with invicible frames) some offensive. There are couple shared but overall they feel like option instead of supermove.
Those "super moves" that require long as charging also are very hard to pull off as usually they take ton of time to land.

Imo supermoves are small change.

What i like the most about MHX/G are:

- weapon/armor upgrade revision. They changed completely how you upgrade stuff. IT is more "streamlined" but at the same time it still needs proper timesink to hunt for parts you need. They also removed few materials that were hard to get like King's Crest. Overall due to just plain insane amount of stuff you can craft in this game (MH4U feels small compared to MHG) you feel like nothing is lost.
- Styles. They really change how you play. Like i said in op i always hated duals because they felt wrong. They were clunky to use, moveset was terrible and often you had to literally stand to attack which is plain weird for such small weapons as duals. Aerial style completely fixes it and imo it should always be default style for duals.
- Cats got massively improved and now you can actually properly make various builds which was kind of annoying in previous games.
- Absolute crazy amount of stuff to craft. I mean post Freedom every MH felt small. In MHF when you finish 3 star quest you have literally few good pages of stuff for each weapon/armor piece. In 3rd or MH4U nothing like this happens.
In MHG on other hand after 3 star quest you have even more than Freedom and then some. It is like they took all unique armors, weapons from every game in series added ton of new ones and put them into a MH game.
That aspect of game combined with new crating makes it really fucking awesome point of game. Fashion Hunter is strong with this one.

Also they got Blangonga back my personal favorite from low level hunts.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Tempting me more than ever, but still... fucking handhelds man. All I ask when playing a game is that the controls be below my shoulders and the screen above them. I don't suppose there's a cheap/easy way to dump the 3DS screen to my monitor?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Can't say I'm a fan of the different styles. Each weapon seems to have a superior style you'll want to use and then a bunch of mediocre ones. The quality move sets are wildly inconsistent throughout all the weapons where some of them are just plain awful and some of them work. Some of them also change how the weapons work, in a bad way. Switch Axe being the biggest offender now. You have Hutner Arts that will guarantee you to stay in Sword form at all time. No one is going to use the Axe mode anymore. Gunlance has 3 different shells (Long, Normal, Spread) and each one of these shell types have a different styles assigned to them so there's no room for experimentation to try different combinations of shells + styles. And then the whole concept of Aerial style in itself is just a lame gimmick that will attract all the worst shitters, guaranteed. Even just now I was playing with two frenchies who were using Aerial and we lost since they kept carting. They also kept failing the mounting QTE ffs. Why are french people so fucking bad at this game. :argh:

Last edited:

The Fish

Arcane
I haven't played a monster hunter game since the PSP variants, would there be any reason to go through Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate before Generations?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Nah, not really. The monster roster isn't anything special in MH4U. MHGen will be the superior game. Online will be far more active in MHGen if you want to hunt mons with bros.

Perkel

Arcane
Tempting me more than ever, but still... fucking handhelds man. All I ask when playing a game is that the controls be below my shoulders and the screen above them. I don't suppose there's a cheap/easy way to dump the 3DS screen to my monitor?

Easy buy used n3ds , get MH game. Spend 200-300 hours on it or more and if you don't like it that much sell it all of them thus essentially costing you 0 as 3ds seems to hold nice resale value for now.

I planned to do above but perfect native hardware to play NES,SNES,GBA,DS and 3DS games is imo much more worth it that selling it.

I finished ton of awesome games since buying it (like all metroidvania castelvania games and changed my favorite from Syphony of the Night to Aria of Sorrow). Since it handles all Snes,DS,Gba games then you have whole library of awesome RPGs and sRPGs like Tactics Ogre or SMT Strange Journey which is by far imo best SMT game.

I haven't played a monster hunter game since the PSP variants, would there be any reason to go through Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate before Generations?

Nope. MH4U is basically a bit smaller than Freedom Unite on PSP you played but has 3 new weapons and all mosnters were revamped for new verticality combat (thus they changed a lot of their moves and how they behave).

MHG imo is what MH4U should be it changes a lot more to core of combat that MH4 and frankly speaking hunting styles are the biggest change since start of MH back on PS2.

IF i had to categorize it in therms of changes it would be something like this:

MH/MH2/MHFreedomUnite/MHTri/MH3d/MH3Ultimate ---> MH4/MH4U -----------------------------> MHG

Verticality of combat and changed movesets to accomodate that on monsters was nice change in MH4 but changing completely how you play with some weapons was much needed change since like 2 gens ago thus MHG imo takes the cake.

And it is not only MH that changes the most but also MH game that is the biggest of them all in therms of content beating even ridicolous MH freedom unite and then some.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
You have Hutner Arts that will guarantee you to stay in Sword form at all time. No one is going to use the Axe mode anymore.

As with most of the things you mentioned i disagree. Axe has waaay better dodge frankly speaking i prefer axe mode to sword mode. Duals ara waaaay better in aerial style and frankly it is how they should be at default. Some styles don't fit really some weapons but options are always nice and some people like to play non standard builds. Lance alone in guild style has 2-3 different aproaches and bushido adds to that proper next one while aerial is gimmicky but still and option to fiddle with.

As for people playing mh... eh to much to write in one post. Played several times with 999 hc dudes who would die for simplest of things.

Also i would fucking love if they would change how mutliplayer handles failtures. Current system is retarded.

Imo good change would be to treat each player life as one time only instead of 3 failtures = quest failed because there will be always some retard who will rush on monster and get rekt quickly 3 times.

Also it would be fun to have respawn based on that two people will take someone to starting area while other one can wait (and monster would heal up a lot) or try to fight it alone (thus preventing it healing at cost of "fuckup"). single would naturally be non changed as it already uses two cats to shove you to starting area.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There's literally 0% to use Axe with the Switch Axe unless you want to gimp yourself on purpose. It has a bit more mobility but a good hunter will survive with tankier mobility. The two important Hunter Arts for the Switch Axe pretty much negate the Axe mode completely, effectviely turning it into a Sword weapon:

Energy Charge 3

Fully replenish your Sword-mode energy
Gives you 30% Affinity.
Refills so fast that you can have it on all the time

Demon Sword 3

Increases your Sword-mode damage 20%.
Paired with Energy Charge 3 you can maintain Sword mode indefinitely.

GG

Guild style lance is pretty clumsy because of the new 3 hit combo and bushido will be too punishing for most players to handle. Stiker style is pretty much the way to go with the Lance because it retains the OG 3 hit combo and the Hunter Arts that the Lance has are pretty phenomenal.

Perkel

Arcane
All of those buffs to damage doesn't mean much as Sword mode has as i said it way lower ability to dodge attacks (sidestep is op in Axe mode). Your damage is already great with axe mode and staying in sword mode gimps a lot your movement.

I played almost exclusively in 3rd with SA and sure sword mode for most of low level was good but later on especially with faster monsters I needed that Axe mode sidestep to stay safe. Sword mode was almost exclusively for times when i can safely hit multiple times monster or mid combo change when i felt safe.

With MHG i will probably be going for Charge Blade. Found few good videos and weapon seems ridiculously complex with ton of neat stuff in it but well worth effort to master it (like shield defense mid swing !). Didn't use it much in MH4U because both GS and CB were basically barebones like few weapons in Tri. Now both GS and CB are full weapons like rest of weapons.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
All of those buffs to damage doesn't mean much as Sword mode has as i said it way lower ability to dodge attacks (sidestep is op in Axe mode). Your damage is already great with axe mode and staying in sword mode gimps a lot your movement.

You're literally arguing against 20% more damage and 30% more crit chance that you will have on 100% of the time. With some Armor setups in MHGen you can get something absurd like 70-80% Affinity with Energy charge 3, which means that nearly all your attacks do an additional +25% more damage, on top of the 20% you're getting from Demon Sword 3. You are not gimped by staying in Sword mode because one of the bread and butter armor skills that all SA users get is Evade Extender. If you are not able to keep to the monster using Sword mode with Evade Extender then you might have other problems to worry about. Sword Mode having an innate Mind's Eye also helps with mobility since you won't accidentally hit any bouncy parts. I picked up Nargacuga's armor in MH4U and Brachy's SWaxe for laffs (without much prior experience of using the weapon) and had no problems at all rocking it with Sword mode only. Hardly ever used Axe mode and when I did, I did it because I like the move set and axes in general. Axe mode is even more redundant now thanks to those two clearly OP hunters arts.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
giantbomb quicklook played by 3 players and only one of them had some experience with MH games:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Ouch, that was painful to watch. I'm sure they did a good job at turning away potential hunters with that display.

Perkel

Arcane
Ouch, that was painful to watch. I'm sure they did a good job at turning away potential hunters with that display.

Not really to me it looked exactly how my first play-trough looked like and i loved it back then.

I kind of wish they would in new version completely scrap every single item and redone then so i could get same WTF can i get those ? like when i started.

I still remember back in Freedom Unite how i couldn't fucking find anywhere Malachite ore for one of weapons and it required like 10 of them (i think it was long sword) because i had worst luck every and for like 4-5 gathering runs i couldn't manage to mine single one in mountains.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Not really to me it looked exactly how my first play-trough looked like and i loved it back then.

I kind of wish they would in new version completely scrap every single item and redone then so i could get same WTF can i get those ? like when i started.

I still remember back in Freedom Unite how i couldn't fucking find anywhere Malachite ore for one of weapons and it required like 10 of them (i think it was long sword) because i had worst luck every and for like 4-5 gathering runs i couldn't manage to mine single one in mountains.

I'm not judging, everyone starts somewhere, I was probably even worse off than they were since I started out with the Lance, and that weapon will feel even slower and clunkier than the GS if you don't know what you're doing. I just think that having clueless people like that playing the game will not make it look very appealing to people who don't know about the series. Looking at a guy run around with a LS and constantly failing to hit a basic monster won't look very exciting to most people.

Perkel

Arcane
I am at opposite here. Worst thing you can do to people trying MH or any skill based game is to barge in with higher than thou attitude trying to fix everything for someone instead of him figuring out himself something getting that "AHA!" moment.

Either way noob won't see difference between low level player and high level ubermench and probably will be lost due to ubermench skipping everytning without describing anything unlike those three dudes did when they were talking while hunting.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Nah, that's not true at all. A high level or even medium level hunter is definitely infinitely more interesting to watch than a shit player is, especially for newbs. All they will see here is a person fumble around incompetently at a game that appears to have extremely clunky gameplay, but a person who knows something about the game will be able to demonstrate some actual mechanics of the weapons and monsters and use items like traps and bombs.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

My most memorable experience in this series is still the time I played online in the first game with some random dudes on the troublesome pair mission in the swamp. 3 of us went after one of them, and this other dude with a lance went after the other. We finished ours off after a bit of a struggle and ran over to see this dude utterly wrecking his prey, just stunlocking the fuck out of it with perfectly timed headshots. Dropped dead before we got to it. Made me aspire to be such a videogame badass.

Perkel

Arcane
Actually i started to love lance in MHG. Before i didn't play at all lance but for MHG i needed to start fresh with some weapon i didn't play so i pick lance and oh boy what a good choice that was.

I think most problems from lance comes from inability to understand playstyle needed to be effective with it especially sidestep which at first glance look waaaaaay worse than roll from other weapons but if you are close to monster it is actually better than roll.

Sure i had my few hours of "this is shit" but then i started to go upclose and personal with monsters and it started to feel awesome and when you learn how to combo it is actually pretty fast weapon as long as monster doesn't move away from you which can be annoying for monsters like Blangonga.
Bushido style on it is thing of beauty

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Lance is really mobile once you understand it. And why not? It pretty much has to be because making precise attacks is its speciality, and you won't be able to do that if you are slow and sluggish. The side steps and the spartan style of making a short sprint with your shield up (letting you get close to the monster without taking damage if they attack) really gives you a lot of flexibility. Evade Extender can also work well with the Lance if you want an easier time to keep up with the monster. You can just back hop toward them.

Damned Registrations

I liked the lance in the original game, but it always felt way too slow in MHFU- once shit went into rage mode, there was no way to even consistently get out of the way, let alone keep up with it and counter attack. I'd just end up running out of stamina. So I'd basically spend half the fight without a weapon drawn for the sake of mobility, which is boring as fuck. And against faster monsters like a Tigrex or Rajang I'd have the same kind of issue even before they went into rage mode. Made trying to focus on particular body parts a nightmare too. So I generally stuck with the longsword, which had a simlar range to work with but much faster while the weapon is drawn.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's why I don't do shield lancing, because counter attacking gets a bit too tricky for me the faster and more aggro the monsters get. Then when you add online it becomes even more problematic because the monster should be aggroing you for you to reliably pull off counters, but we all know that this isn't how aggro works in MH. Using your shield also has a bit of a delay to it so it's not a perfect defense / offense solution. Evade lancing is so much superior because it's even faster and more agile since you will hardly ever pull up the shield. You just back and side step around while poking the monster all the time and the hops don't have the same delay as using the shield does which means that it's a lot more reactive. It's a bit like playing with the SnS where you dance around the monster and relentlessly keep making jabs at it. In any case, Monster Hunter Gen added a bunch of new shizz to help the Lancer keep close to the monster, such as a Hunter Art that makes you rush toward the monster while holding your shield up so you can't get hit and knocked down like you would with the normal charge attack. It's very fast to refill this Hunter Art as well so it's very spammy in that regard. I still struggle with the positioning and distance with this ability, but once I get the hang of it I'll probably never have to leave a monsters side if I don't want to.

Perkel

Arcane
Shield lancing is still fun though. It just require a bit more preparation as you need good stock of consumables and some skills to extend their use if i remember right. Some increase in guard also helps a lot.

But yes i remember MHFU lance being way more clunky than in MH4U or MHG

Funy my favorite wapon in MHFU long sword is now my least favorite due to how simple moveset is and how it lack depth of other weapons, even hammer now is more fun to use with verticality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom