Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom (NOT fromhe peeps who did the remake of WB And The Dragon's Trap)

L'Montes

Educated
*Actually* this one is developed by Game Atelier, they're a little developer you might know from.... nothing probably. I think this game is a reworked version of what was going to be a kickstarter sequel to their flying hamster game.

Dragon's Trap folks are Lizard Cube: http://www.lizardcube.com/

To the best of my knowledge, the two companies don't share staff.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
*Actually* this one is developed by Game Atelier, they're a little developer you might know from.... nothing probably. I think this game is a reworked version of what was going to be a kickstarter sequel to their flying hamster game.

One has taste in music and the other does not, how does one even confuse the two?

I can't wait for whatever game Lizardcube is going to work on next.

L'Montes

Educated

One has taste in music and the other does not, how does one even confuse the two?

I can't wait for whatever game Lizardcube is going to work on next.

Well, in case you were curious, Lutte , it's apparently Streets of Rage 4:

They're possibly not full developer on this... it looks like Guard Crush and DOTEMU were also involved? So, it's not clear to me exactly what they were doing, but it is their "next project" I guess.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
never trust a dev that takes its name from a decline mechanic in fighting games (guard crush)

I don't like the art style in this trailer at all, even though I loved LizardCube's remake of WB3.

I think a new SoR should eschew this sort of flash-inspired, overtly clean style and go for a more grainy, dingy approach.

Guard Crush made this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/350910/Streets_of_Fury_EX/

It's visualy pukeable but it's a good game. They're the ones programming Streets of Rage 4. LizardCube is here for the grafix.
What the goddamn shit is this

images

:prosper:

Looks like it's trying to out-prosper Guardians of the Hood (a tall order)

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't like the art style in this trailer at all, even though I loved LizardCube's remake of WB3.

I think a new SoR should eschew this sort of flash-inspired, overtly clean style and go for a more grainy, dingy approach.
It does feel a bit flash-like in terms of design but the animation quality is much higher than the usual fare of flash games. Not 10/10 but still good enough for me, particularly in a world that tends to eschew actual animation altogether opting for 3d-on-a-2d plane garbage.

I'll be cautiously looking forward to this, no D1P but a potential buy depending on feedback and the quality of the game itself.

The last 2d beat'em'up that I played was the CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED Double Dragon Neon and it was fucking hot garbage that put me to sleep.

It's amazing that even in these simple genres games just continue to constantly devolve.

Machocruz

Arcane
Double Dragon Neon was for idiots who think Double Dragon was about being 1980s. And they hired a hack from DeviantArt to redesign the characters, if you can even call what he did 'design.' Game looked like a bowl of fruit loops. And the "humor"...it should be illegal to practice comedy without a license.

Just listen to this glorious theme and repent forever.

Double Dragon was the first game I 1cc'd at arcades when I was 8 years old (glorious elbow cheese). It was also my first home port severe disappointment (NES version was shit).

I fucking love it and will always love it.

It really is. Double Dragon Advance kicks ass. Lots of new moves and it's just very fun to play.

It's too bad Double Dragon IV went the vomit pixel route and didn't add anything, it was completely forgettable.

So, on topic, I've played quite a bit of this on my Switch and I can say that it's pretty good. Not as great as Monster Boy and the Dragon's Trap but it's not really that similar. This one is a more traditional Metroid-inspired game in the vein of recent "Metroidvanias" whereas WB3 was very avant-garde for its time and had rudimentary exploration elements.

It looks and plays just fine. Not a great fan of the artstyle (these people are not Lizardcube for sure) but it works. It's done with care and respect and I would say it's a very capable original installment of a venerable series - something you don't see too often. Worth a buy for sure.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
lol i don't even remember what the fuck it was i was bitching about regarding guard crush

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom