Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Modern air combat flight sims?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Good question, I kind of like the older bird (Afghanistan) but it's probably superfluous. Maybe there is really no point.

There will be a Normandy map at the end of the year, so I might rather jump and get the Me 109. I also read that someone may be working on a Me 262.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good question, I kind of like the older bird (Afghanistan) but it's probably superfluous. Maybe there is really no point.
Well the only noticable difference is that the T has a display in the cockpit for A-G missiles, which is a nice addition, but as I said, the T has the better flight modell. I remember the SU25T was created for the Flaming Cliffs expansion of LOMAC back in the day, and one of the selling points was that that was the first plane which used the "Advanced Flight Modell".

Regarding the system requirements, would you tell me what are your specs and how well the game runs for you?

Burning Bridges

I would say the Su25T has still much simpler aerodynamics than the 15 or the Mustang.

My specs are i7-4790K, 16GB DDR3 CL8, GTX 1070, and a SSD. I assume if I ran a RX480 or GTX1060 the performance would be almost the same, the real factor is the CPU. Instead of an i7 a Xeon might do as well, it's almost the same processor but with lower clocks.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would say the Su25T has still much simpler aerodynamics than the 15 or the Mustang.
Sure, those moduls are much newer, the SU25T is just a lefover from the LOMAC era. :)

My specs are i7-4790, 16GB DDR3 CL8, GTX 1070, and a SSD. I assume if I ran a RX480 or GTX1060 the performance would be almost the same, the real factor is the CPU. Instead of an i7 a Xeon might do as well, it's almost the same processor but with lower clocks.
Yeah I've heared that the CPU is the real factor. And the difference between an i7-4790 vs my Phenom X4 955 is day and night. Sigh, it is time to upgrade this rig.

Burning Bridges

CPU + Cache + RAM + SSD that's what sims will always be about. A decent graphics card is a must, but graphics can be turned down.

If you think positive you have a grace time until December or so when 2.5 and the improved Caucasus and Nevada standalone come, plus Normandy.

Burning Bridges

I don't know if this is a problem with just my system but I remember having such issues with as far as 10 years ago on all kinds of different systems. The problem I mean is the shimmering transparent trees that create a horrible effect especially when the light is in certain angles. The other is moving patterns on textures on the aircraft, especially shadows.

During the last days I found that the problem goes largely away when I set AA Transparency to 8X Supersampling. This is an option in the NVidia system panel, not the game itself.

I am actually going to try IL2-CloD again because I had put it aside over this issue. The problem was so bad that the whole terrain looked totally unreal.

Burning Bridges

Has somebody got a suggestion what to get next? I thought about getting all maps when they are ready, but only 1 plane per map. That means it would probably be the 109 Kurfürst for Normandy, and an American jet for the Nevada map. Perhaps I would also like the P-47 that is supposed to be one of the next planes.

These are the long term plans, but as long as I am still practicing I'm also toying with the idea of a jet trainer. The L39 and Hawk both look nice. At least I think that I should practice a lot more before I can jump into a real jet plane like the Mig 21 (which is kind of the long term goal). I can hardly land a Mig 15, that means I end up beside the runway most of the time :lol:

Burning Bridges

screen_161008_204058.jpg

This seems to be my normal method of landing right now. At least I come out alive most of the time, as long as I am lucky and don't hit one of the radar receivers beside the runway.

Burning Bridges

screen_161008_205244.jpg

I did not know how the get out of the plane so I did the dumbest thing possible, hit Ctrl-E three times. Ejector seat.

Now how do I have one more problem when I talk to my instructor. Plane is a wreck, but alive.

[Note to self, I should have just contacted the ground crew for a ladder first]

screen_161008_205303.jpg

But I discovered something really nice. The game has a fully working FPS mode, and I can walk around the plane.

They should seriously implement making a fire in the wilderness and fending off wolves with the Makarov.

Burning Bridges

screen_161009_192542.jpg

I hit the runway this time! The sparks is a remaining minor technical problem.

screen_161009_202815.jpg

On this attempt I choose to ignore the runway altogether and land on some quiet country road. For practicing that is the same.

Plane is only slightly damaged.

screen_161009_202840.jpg

Hey командир
How was my landing?!

Burning Bridges

So far my problem was not being able to see the runway because of that fucking gunsight. But I made some progress in moving the head up and saving that as the default view from cockpit. It has improved visibility a lot.

The only problem is that I now cannot see the fucking vertical speed indicator while landing. I actually have a picture of that. The vertical speed is directly behind the "NC-23" :lol:

screen_161009_202635.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Russian engineering at its finest. :lol:

I watched some videos about Mig-15 landing, and the other players are actually doing what you did, constantly looking slightly to the left of the gunsight.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

I dunno. I am still looking straight, it's the gunsight that is off to the right. But I think I could move the head so much to the left that I can see the variometer.

My problem with landing is of course that I was doing it the Burning Bridges way, but now I think I must follow the prescribed landing procedure. Even when I hit the runway straight on my speed and height is nowhere near right, and I always bump down violently. The front wheel usually just snaps off like a match.

@ 2:00 sounds 100% like Kevin Manthei (Panzer General & Jagged Alliance 2)

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Sure, those moduls are much newer, the SU25T is just a lefover from the LOMAC era. :)

Well, I had to look that up https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=122801

matrix.jpg

That means the Su25T and Su25A use both (only) the Advanced Model. The Su-25T may have been the first plane with that standard (I have a vague memory of DCS stuff too that was before 2010) therefore the confusion.
The other planes except Mig 29 and Su 33 (which are currently crap) have been updated. The payware modules use either Professional or External Model. From what I understand External gives more control to the module designer (?) but that doesn't mean it's better. Professional feels pretty advanced to me.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
My memory failed me. It was a long time ago when they first introduced the Su25T. :)

Burning Bridges

What that means is that in order to get the Professional Flight Model you need one of the payware modules.

Burning Bridges

screen_161011_210933.jpg

screen_161011_211057.jpg

screen_161011_211137.jpg

I made first (almost) proper proper landing. Machine stopped 100m after the end of the runway by a 100m meters or so, in beautiful meadow. (I believe I forgot to pull back the throttle when there was time).

But landing gear intact!

Burning Bridges

Before we can hopefully move to more inclined things, here is a video I made to share one of my most controlled landings :) Tbh I have no idea why I did not just wait until the two Suchois were off the runway. Let's say I was practicing emergencies.

It's also intended to demonstrate the sound I am using, which still gives me a boner at times.

Burning Bridges

I also had a look into the other modules, with prices of 50-60$ it pays to look twice or even thrice, and tbh there isn't much that I really want.

First of all I changed my mind about the Mig 21. Seems like a lot of people report that this module has been bugged since release, and are not recommending it. Reports that made my decision: fps drops and crashes.

The 109 is still on my list but not with the current lack of anything to do. They have a Normandy map down the pipeline, and that might get WW2 up and running but right now I don't want to fly a Messerschmitt in a 1990ish looking Georgia.

The Nevada training range I think I will get this some day, but right now I don't know what to do there. It is pretty monotonous terrain, which is probably why they chose it, nothing to simulate war there and the towns are very modern and american. If I had a F-104 Starfighter or something like that, yes that would change my mind. But I will never fly popamole planes like F-14 or F-15.

I think the straight of Hormus will be the same crap. It is basically Americana like NTTR but this time in some Gulf state. The choice was very original (not).

Some of the Helicopters look really interesting and well made. Especially the Black Shark and the Huey. And they have the German police helicopter Bo 150 in the pipeline that looks damn cool.

That's it for now, the other stuff mostly doesn't interest me. Hopefully they make some interesting stuff in the coming year. Some Cold War terrain East/West Germany and of course Falkland Islands would be great. The are are some aircraft in development that would go perfectly with Falklands, namely Harrier and Mirage III. (But probably people will have to dogfight this over Nevada even in years.)

Somehow this is a great game to fly but I never get to do any real combat in it.

Burning Bridges

Hm, I'm probably not hardcore enough. Do you?

screen_161012_215123.jpg

screen_161012_215652.jpg

But I actually made progress. Today I made my first proper landing with a Mig, and there was still a lot of runway left. I actually find it not that hard now since I realized that an aircraft must be steered a bit like a boat. I must always think a few seconds ahead, if I steer the nose where I want to go now it could never work. That was the reason I never hit the runway, plus inexperience.

Burning Bridges

Though I have funds for 1-2 other airplanes that make sense, atm I don't find anything that I really want.

As I said, 1990+ planes are out of the question.

And I have done some more research, from what I gather DCS releases seem to be grouped in certain generations, which makes sense because the planes have to be able to fly against each other. And currently there are WW2 planes, Korean war planes and then there is a huge gap until the 1970s and then you have the modernfag stuff.

Unfortunately the gap between Korea and 1970 is the most interesting period for me :( Would love a F-104 or Mig 19.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom