Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mobile rpgs

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Been playing Tales of Illyria Destinies and its been good so far. Any one know of others like it? I heard the first two are linear so not really interested in that. I like the travel system, the reputation system for different kingdoms and the towns/Villages menu system. So something of that manner

First two are linear in the sense that they have a plot, but aren't linear in regards to what you do, where you go, and how you handle things. Personally, I liked the first one better than Destinies. It was worth every penny I paid for it.

Blink

Prospernaut
Batshit Crazy
this thread should be moved to the jrpg forum as there are shit jrpgs in it, better yet remove the thread in general as it is makin the site look bad.

naossano

Cipher
If you remove that thread, someone else will be looking for mobile rpg, get frustrated and pissed off and will create another thread, that would equally piss you off.
At least there, there is less pissed off people.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Looks like there are no expansions yet for The Quest for Android. Also that Coldfire Keep gets bad reviews. Anyone played QuestLord?

Deleted Member 16721

The Quest is phenomenal. One of the best RPGs on mobile by far (and would be excellent to play on PC, too!) For $7.99 + $3.99 for the expansion it's worth every penny and then some.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You can get it on PC now as well, an HD version. I don't think it is that good of a game though compared to all the old classics. But it is one of the better RPG's for a phone.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
The Quest is phenomenal. One of the best RPGs on mobile by far (and would be excellent to play on PC, too!) For $7.99 + $3.99 for the expansion it's worth every penny and then some.

The PC version even has upgraded visuals

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Quest HD is on mobile as well. It includes the aforementioned upgraded visuals at the expense at not having access to certain expansions created by a third party company.

Deleted Member 16721

The Quest is HD on Android. I have a 1920x1200 screen and it looks beautiful and crisp. Haven't gotten to the expansion content yet.

Don't let the fact that it's on mobile throw you off. IMO, the game is not just your typical mobile game, but a full-fledged PC-style RPG with a bunch of quality content and fun gameplay. I'm enjoying it quite a bit as my tablet RPG right now when I'm not on PC playing Enderal.

Deleted Member 16721

How long would you say the main quest is in Quest?

Just the main quest? I couldn't really tell you as I haven't beaten the game yet. But I have played for hours so far and I am just reaching what looks like the middle of the map.

The game is large but doesn't seem to be quite as large as other "open-world" PC RPGs. I heard that you can complete the game and most of the quests in a little over 30 hours or so.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The Quest is good for a mobile game, but it isn't as great as people make out. It is turn based but a single character, and there is no depth to the combat. If you pump your melee skills you win most fights by just slashing with the weapon a few times and everything goes splat. Then you either rest or cast a heal spell and continue over and over. It is more like an Elder Scrolls game than a real RPG. Mages are a bit more interesting, but the game mechanics are too easily exploitable and badly balanced. For example you loot wands regularly, so after a while you have about 50 wands that do anything, create food, teleport you back to town, 1 shot any enemy in front of you, etc..etc.. But there is also a spell that you can cast any time, that completely recharges a wand. And you also have a spell that creates your own food and water. So you basically play the game for a few hours by just using wands to whoop everything. Then you spend a few minutes recharging all the wands, and then create yourself some food and sleep for a while to recover your mana so you can recharge the remaining wands.

Also even if you decide to just not use wands and try to artificially make the game more interesting for yourself, it still isn't that great. You always have enough mana to kill any enemy that attacks, even the toughest, you just cast your biggest spell twice and everything goes splat. So as long as you keep yourself topped up with food to rest after each fight, there is no challenge or depth.

Also the quests and dialogue are all pretty poor and there aren't any interesting locations, most of the game takes place out on open grassland just pew pewing suicidal mobs. It does have some good parts though. But if you have a big screen like a tablet or phablet or whatever, you would be better buying Baldurs Gate, IWD, FFT, etc. The Quest is better than most crappy mobile RPG's, but it isn't even close to a real cRPG.

Severian Silk

I can't tell if it's RTwP or phase-based. Graphics are sorta nice.

My old Pocket PC was nice because it had physical buttons. Touchscreens suck.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Real time (with cooldowns) and "Slow-time mode" it seems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom