Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mobile rpgs

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I just bought Siralim 2 on Android (Note 7) and have been playing it for the past hour. Very much enjoying it. Well worth the price. And I am always willing to pay for a game so I don't have to be badgered with ads and endless requests to buy gems/crystals.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Unrelated, but why isn't shadowrun hong kong on mobile? The ui really doesn't look like different.

Because they wanted to remove the limitations that tablets were having on the engine, so they could do more with the game, design wise. They decided to go 100% designed for for the PC only.

Expon

Scholar
Because they wanted to remove the limitations that tablets were having on the engine, so they could do more with the game, design wise. They decided to go 100% designed for for the PC only.
did it actually benefit being pc only? cause the gameplay dose not look much different and the loads times still seem kinda long for a game like this

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Quest is pretty fucking awesome and for its price and value it is a steal; it is sort of the lovechild of the Might and Magic games with Ultima Underworld and any oldschool gamer will love it
I also had some fun with the Iron Maiden game (killer soundtrack but a bit too grindy) but you should definetly check it out if you are a fan of older turn based JRPGs
Speaking of those If you want something more traditional there are lots of good ports of older JRPGs like the Final Fantasies and Dragon Quest which fit the "15 minutes" sessions bill perfectly, as well as some more recent Square Enix games designed for smartphones
I am currently replaying Final Fantasy Tactics (which is one of my all time favorite games) and the original Dragon Quest
Who would have know that smartphones would be heaven for oldtime JRPG games?

Doktor Best

Arcane
The Quest is pretty fucking awesome and for its price and value it is a steal; it is sort of the lovechild of the Might and Magic games with Ultima Underworld and any oldschool gamer will love it
I also had some fun with the Iron Maiden game (killer soundtrack but a bit too grindy) but you should definetly check it out if you are a fan of older turn based JRPGs
Speaking of those If you want something more traditional there are lots of good ports of older JRPGs like the Final Fantasies and Dragon Quest which fit the "15 minutes" sessions bill perfectly, as well as some more recent Square Enix games designed for smartphones
I am currently replaying Final Fantasy Tactics (which is one of my all time favorite games) and the original Dragon Quest
Who would have know that smartphones would be heaven for oldtime JRPG games?

Smartphones are my sole platform for jrpgs. Been playing Lufia, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 on my trusted old Galaxy 1 over the past years. As well as Zelda Alttp, Metroid Fusion and Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance.

They dont have any complex plot, they have easily approachable combat, theyre fairly linear. Perfect for smaller sessions on public transport or in waiting rooms.

And with snes/gameboid and rom pages you have almost unlimited amount of combat for free.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hearkenworld (Android) and the rest of the games made by the same company are good. They are like the Gold Box Games so I recommend them. I may be mistaken, but I think the creator is also a fellow codexer since I saw one thread about this game.

deuxhero

Arcane
Android has Forge, an open source MTG playing thing, which has a single player quest mode in addition to its standard play vs random opponents. Quest mode is a neat idea, but you'll need to tweak the (easily changed) numbers a ton to get it playable pace instead of a death spiral. It suffers a lot from even the most basic quest opponents starting with competent decks (you start with a theme deck or draft deck) that don't need to follow the format rules you imposed on yourself. There's also some numbers that can't be easily changed, like card costs (especially new set unlocks if you didn't set it to unlimited at the start. This is pretty bad because those costs raise exponentially and are utterly impossible to meet with default gold earn settings) or availability.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Romancing SaGa 2 - This is a port of a SNES JRPG, but the Android version is currently the only method to play it in English.

If you haven't heard of this series, it's a series by a creator who's very influenced by WRPG design and one of the earliest JRPG series to do non-linear design.

This entry has a unique premise - you play as several generations of a ruling Empire and every time you die or enough events are completed, time progresses and a new Emperor will be inherit the power of the previous one. There's some light management aspects as you decide what territories to complete for integration into your empire, funding R&D for new weapons/armor/magic or constructing useful buildings like a Magic Research Academy.

Only criticism on the port - the Android overworld controls aren't the best, so it's almost impossible to dodge on-screen enemies with touch controls and you'll end up fighting a lot of battles. Makes resource management tougher when you pretty much have to go through every monster in a dungeon.

Expon

Scholar
Afterfate pitch

comabt_gif_1.gif

2.png

Inventory_1.gif

q.jpg

map-2.jpg

Expon

Scholar
game will have a perk system (called specs), factions, and choices similar to fallout.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Romancing SaGa 2 - This is a port of a SNES JRPG, but the Android version is currently the only method to play it in English.

It kills me that fan translation of the original release still isn't finished and doesn't seem like it will be in any near future. I'd welcome the re-release in English if SE, in their divine wisdom, didn't keep it exclusively on mobile for some reason. At least give me a goddamn Vita version. First and third game got fan translations so this leaves a gap.

I'm a moron, there is a Vita version. Japan-only, of course.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

It kills me that fan translation of the original release still isn't finished and doesn't seem like it will be in any near future. I'd welcome the re-release in English if SE, in their divine wisdom, didn't keep it exclusively on mobile for some reason. At least give me a goddamn Vita version. First and third game got fan translations so this leaves a gap.

I only know of the one for the first, where is the one for the third (didn't find it on romhacking)?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I only know of the one for the first, where is the one for the third (didn't find it on romhacking)?

I can't post links to ROMs for legal reasons, but you can find it on Emuparadise or by googling the two. It's not 100% complete but is more than playable. Made by Mana Sword.

Severian Silk

Is there anything good for Windows Phone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom