Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mobile rpgs

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Inotia 4 (Party-based JRPG) https://play.google.com/store/apps/...l.freefull.google.global.android.common&hl=en
Heroes of Steel (Party-based turn-based RPG) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tresebrothers.games.heroesofsteelelite&hl=en

Bard's Tale (You need a powerful device) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inxile.BardTale&hl=en
3-Bard_Ch01-05_001.jpg

Mustawd

Stay away from the Inotia games. They're just KRPG grind fests.

EDIT: spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Has anyone been successful in using a controller or external keyboard to play mobile games?
ive had hit or miss success with wiimotes as a mobile controller, its also possible to use another phone as a controller for a android tablet or phone with apps like BTController.

Lhynn

Arcane
Stay away from the Inotiq games. There's just KRPG grind fests.

Yeah the level of grinding went so high at the end game that i didn't even finish the game. But it was fun for early hours.
Beat children of inotia 3. Took months of playing a few minutes a day while raiding the bus, but got it done.
When you say end game you mean end game or do you mean post game?
Because post game had a final quest.

Lhynn

Arcane
Its basically you killing the most powerful enemies in the world, as the new champion. as a reward your love from the past is resurrected at the end.
The character development is minimal tho, but its implied you chose her over your current girl.

Right now im playing zenonia 4, and at least it runs smoothly.

Expon

Scholar
Warhammer 40,000 Regicide (ios) before buying pirate ot to see if it works on your device first theres a werid bug when downloading game data will hang soemwhere at 90%, and no fallout 1.5 resurrection doesn't work completely on android.

Keldryn

Arcane
Nobody mentioned Legacy of the Beast:

It's not the deepest RPG ever made, but you get to play as Eddie in all of his different album cover incarnations, in worlds inspired by the cover art from the bands many albums.

And it has a fucking awesome soundtrack.

iron-maiden-04.jpg

ksaun

Arcane
Developer
iNetHack2, the remake of NetHack for iOS.

I wasn't too fond of iNetHack2 (due to interface implementation), but I would recommend UnNethack on Android for a solid NetHack experience.
On iOS, my preferred rogue-like is Brogue (which is also good on Windows, and the game is open source so you can modify it if so inclined. The Android version isn't good, though (interface issues again).

Some other reasonable mobile RPG-like games are:
Gurk, Gurk II, Gurk III, Lowlander (these are vaguely like, say, Ultima II)
Cardinal Quest 2 (rogue-like)
Crowntakers (TBS)

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Feel stupid for buying baldurs gate and similar ports. Seemed like a good idea, but real time isometric just doesnt work for me on a touch screen.
Im still stuck on an undertale fight because its not responsive enough for me to beat that bitch in pacifist run.

SuperSonicGd

Literate
Phone versions are terrible. Never give up your keyboard for a roguelike.

IMG_7115-642x361.jpeg

Just trying to contribute here but to add to the list of app game rpgs, I found Tiny Dice Dungeon.

Now you'll notice right away it's an appeal to that retro 8-bit style and does it very well. These are some excellent graphics for that genre.
The music is really good too. But I'm playing a game... not listening to a jam.

And outside of the V A P O R W A V E potential... this game is shit on a shingle. Now it has good elements. I like the idea of obtaining different dice crystals to form new augmentations for my character's base attack, I like capturing and leveling monsters who each have their own variety of attacks to contribute to our overall team dyanmic...

What I don't like is how monster levels cap almost immediately and it's a very hardball curve from there on end making the game like an elaborate demo after your money.
What I also don't like is the very faulty mechanic of you roll dice and a 1 on any of the dice means the attack fails.

Clearly the designer does not know about math and probability. But than how did they design a game if they don't know? The answer is maybe they do know and are just a twat. When you're dealing with an enemy with 500HP you're not going to just roll one dice at a time, and even than there's no certainty you could just roll 1s over and over again. A much more practical system would be each 1 grants a negative point score and when the "miss" score reaches a threshold THEN you fail the attack. But God forbid you should conceive notions of weeding out bad mechanics and just tell players to "get good" when it is literally just luck.

Anyway... it's not a good game, I just figured it's something you could add to your list. If I see a good game I will definitely rave about it as I don't see too many of them.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer
Phone versions are terrible. Never give up your keyboard for a roguelike.

Just trying to contribute here but to add to the list of app game rpgs, I found Tiny Dice Dungeon.

Now you'll notice right away it's an appeal to that retro 8-bit style and does it very well. These are some excellent graphics for that genre.
The music is really good too. But I'm playing a game... not listening to a jam.

And outside of the V A P O R W A V E potential... this game is shit on a shingle. Now it has good elements. I like the idea of obtaining different dice crystals to form new augmentations for my character's base attack, I like capturing and leveling monsters who each have their own variety of attacks to contribute to our overall team dyanmic...

What I don't like is how monster levels cap almost immediately and it's a very hardball curve from there on end making the game like an elaborate demo after your money.
What I also don't like is the very faulty mechanic of you roll dice and a 1 on any of the dice means the attack fails.

Clearly the designer does not know about math and probability. But than how did they design a game if they don't know? The answer is maybe they do know and are just a twat. When you're dealing with an enemy with 500HP you're not going to just roll one dice at a time, and even than there's no certainty you could just roll 1s over and over again. A much more practical system would be each 1 grants a negative point score and when the "miss" score reaches a threshold THEN you fail the attack. But God forbid you should conceive notions of weeding out bad mechanics and just tell players to "get good" when it is literally just luck.

Anyway... it's not a good game, I just figured it's something you could add to your list. If I see a good game I will definitely rave about it as I don't see too many of them.

I actually had some fun with Tiny Dice dungeon. While it has micro transactions, they're pretty much unnecessary. I think the game's been abandoned. But it is a decent time-waster and some things about the dice mechanics are interesting.

SuperSonicGd

Literate
p-tiny-miner-qXODB8Zfba-3.jpg

Found a game I actually like. It's so simple yet that's what makes it enjoyable. It does not explain much outright, but there's no need too. It's a simple digging game where you have a save state that you go back to, constantly digging deeper into your randomized mining map. Finding new minerals, fossils, and map fragments to expand your knowledge of the mine. (You can also buy map fragments but it doesn't help much as map fragments really don't uncover that much. Maybe a few squares worth.)

The thing is it's free2play done correctly as there's no pressure to buy the game. You earn enough gold too upgrade your equipment if you mine enough resources, or you could just watch a few video ads to raise your gold by a couple hundred. It's a very open-ended sandbox environment. If I do have one complaint it's that it's kind of glitchy and you can find yourself half inside a wall at times, but this is a good glitch, as it can prevent fall damage. You'll die a lot more by fall damage than by a rock falling on your head or dying of exhaustion. Exhaustion is just a mater of payying attention to your healthbair and taking a medpac once in a while if you plan to be digging a long time, (walking does not count toward exhaustion) and rocks vibrate your phone as they're falling and have a ringing noise so you have time to react. The controls aren't the best in the world, but that's to be expected with touch-screen. But considering everything this is actually one of the best app games I've seen in a while. And I know what people will say... "It's Dwarf Fortress for casuals."

Yes, that's exactly what it is. It's Dwarf Fortress for non-autistic people who just want to fuck around and pick at imaginary dirt, earn make believe rubies, and sell them for a better pretend pick-axe. 10/10.

Expon

Scholar
Siralim Roguelike/RPG (IOS) (Android) full versions at developers page.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom