Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Miyazaki on Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, and From Software's Possible Sci-fi Game

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just sounds like they might finally make another Armored Core.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Did you just use the "x is the Dark Souls of y" thing? I think you did. Did you really?
Besides, everybody knows Berserk is the Dank Souls of animu.

berserk-1592947.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, if you look carefully at Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, you will notice the many callbacks and homages to the art design from Berserk. Then there are the straight up references, too.

VladimirK

Learned
Dark souls stuff on the first page. Times are changing and codex too.
The codex died when it became acceptable to discuss graphics, around 2010 I'd say. From that to action games on the front page is a natural progression.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Kind wish they had more with the formula, sure I love the games with the simple 90s action approach, but introduce more adventure style elements to balance the fighting. Decent platforming, mantling, more traps, more places like sens fortress.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Hahaha, closed tab and cleared history. DS2 haterboys are dumb as fuck - "JUST LOOK AT ME, I PLAYED DS1 BEFORE IT WAS POPULAR!". LoL.
Unless you played Demon's Souls in 2009/2010, you're not eligible to make any kind of argument about being an OG souls nigga

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I played DS2 for like five minutes and it was already obvious there was something wrong about it compared to the first.

I also like how he talks about level design, sound effects etc., you know, actual, concrete shit. To think there was a time when western devs talked like this too.

I don't want to use terms like "special touch" because like "charm" and "soul" it's a bullshit non-answer, but DS2 does have some haphazard world design. Which is probably intentional, since at one point you climb a castle and end up in a volcano and time has no meaning in that land and stuff.

Haha, jesus christ, what a load of wank. Might as well talk about the "Jay Wilson touch".

nte7DMW.jpg

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Unless you played Demon's Souls in 2009/2010, you're not eligible to make any kind of argument about being an OG souls nigga

I played it a bit before I found out you were supposed to die over and over again. I didn't get it at the time. I think it was a lot more niche then, so maybe I didn't get the heads up on the soul crushing difficulty.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Dark Souls 2 is like Fallout 2. Fucked up setting but plenty of candy to go around. I'd prefer Miyazaki direction anyday as Dark Souls and Bloodborne offer very deep lore and atmosphere If you're willing to look into it. D1P.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
If they bring back the old mechanics and make is as beautiful as Bloodborne and all its visceral glory it could be even better than that. Or it could be a shitty mishmash of both and fall on its face quality wise and one of two things will happen:

1) it gets critical acclaim upon release and 8 million+ sales and CoD gamers everywhere rejoice at the accessibility and they make similar games for eternity.

2) the game tanks hard and gets mediocre reviews and lower projected sales leading to bankruptcy promptly followed by Bethesda buying the rights and making Oblivion with Souls.

I am prepared for the worst most of us are well trained at this point so pleasant surprises are better than agonizing let downs but then again I thought Bloodborne was gonna be casual trash so I was pleasantly surprised that it was "slightly more casual but artistically and aesthetically brilliant and still tough as nails at times".

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The formula won't be changed enough for it to be a total failure.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't want to use terms like "special touch" because like "charm" and "soul" it's a bullshit non-answer

I think what we are dealing with here is the mystification of talent. The idea that some people are just better than others, that they may more skilled or that they may be more creative than most is such an alien concept in this age of democratization, anti-elitism and dumping down to the lowest common denominator that simple superior ability is now seen as some sort of mysterious, obscure quality an artist or designer may seem to possess. There's no such thing as a Miyazaki "special touch". He is just a good developer among a sea of untalented hacks. Much like there's no such thing as a Chris Avellone "touch". He is just a better writer than most working in this field.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom