Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Miyazaki on Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, and From Software's Possible Sci-fi Game

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Bloodborne; Dark Souls III; From Software; Hidetaka Miyazaki

Gamespot did a very good interview with Dark Souls lead and now From Software president Hidetaka Miyazaki, in which he calls Dark Souls 3 "a turning point" for the franchise and discusses the "Miyazaki Touch", aka his approach to leading a project -- a fanboy-ish phrase that he finds scary -- as well as, importantly, the design differences between Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Have the more important snippets:

Dark Souls 2, for example, is a great game, but didn’t have the magic of the first. It lacked the Miyazaki Touch, which elevates the design of a Souls game. How does that make you feel? Knowing that your involvement in the franchise is that important to fans?

I knew that my way of designing a game had unique direction to it, but after hearing there’s an actual term called “The Miyazaki Touch,” it’s a little scary. Dark Souls 3 will be unique, it’ll have unique level design and gameplay design because of the Miyazaki Touch, but now I am a little bit worried about whether that term will still be used positively or become negative after the game’s released.

I’m surprised you haven’t heard of it, it’s a very common shorthand for describing the unique qualities of Miyazaki’s games among fans. It’s definitely used positively at the moment. It’s an imperceptible magic, kind of like Disney’s; anyone can make an animated feature, but only Disney can make a Disney film.

Wow. If that’s the case, I’ll have to work hard to make sure that “Miyazaki Touch” continues to be used in a positive way then. I’m aware that the way I give direction to the team when working on a game is a little bit different from other people. I call it “total direction,” which means I get complete control of how the game is made, not only with regards to the level design, but also the background music, sound effects, and everything else. I think that may give it a unique quality.

What lessons did you take away from Bloodborne for use in Dark Souls 3?

There’s some good things I’ve taken from Bloodborne, but at the same time there were several things that were created because they’re uniquely Dark Souls and only work in this series. From Bloodborne, I’ve taken the limit on resources, which will add additional gameplay strategy. Having certain items give certain effects is another thing that I took over from Bloodborne.

While working on Bloodborne, I realised several unique things that I can only get in Dark Souls. For example, letting players have a variety of character builds, in Bloodborne I tried to embed characteristics into certain characters and weapons, rather than letting players build their own characters.

Bloodborne was also based on gothic, cosmic horror, but I realised I missed working on dark fantasy. That brought me back to Dark Souls. I was always thinking “classic metallic knight armour is awesome,” but couldn’t use that in Bloodborne because it’s a different genre. That’s something you can only get in the Dark Souls series.​

Miyazaki reveals that From Software has several new projects planned, including possibly a sci-fi game:

Fans often speculate about whether the Souls framework and style of gameplay will ever extend to genres outside of dark fantasy. Have you thought about that, perhaps sci-fi Souls?

Dark Souls is my life’s work. Everything I came up with for Dark Souls 3 is based on my personal preferences. However, Dark Souls 3 is also actually the turning point for the franchise. This project was launched by the previous From Software management, before I was appointed president. In that sense, Dark Souls 3 is the turning point for the series.

As president of From Software, I am planning to launch several new projects. I can’t quite specify exactly what they are. Those could be something sci-fi, but you’ll have to stay tuned for more about that in the future.​

He also assures the interviewer that Dark Souls 3 comes first no matter what:

Even though you’re also president of From Software now too?

Yes. Even though I am super busy. Working as a president and also director of Dark Souls is keeping me busy, I’m getting a lot of stimulation, which motivates me to work hard.

[Laughs] As a last resort, I can always skip my duties as a president to focus on Dark Souls 3.​

Read the full interview here.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Miyazaki said:
Actually, [Yui] Tanimura-san, the director of Dark Souls 2, has already joined the [Dark Souls 3] team, which will allow me to work on core gameplay design while other things are taken care of.
:negative: Not this shit again.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Thought this would be about the other Miyazaki.

570.gif

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Was Tanimura also the director of DS2 DLC's? Also, I think i read somewhere that basically production of Dark Souls 2 was messy as fuck and when Tanimura stepped in, he tried to salvage what he could from that.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Dark Souls 2, for example, is a great game, but didn’t have the magic of the first. It lacked the Miyazaki Touch
Hahaha, closed tab and cleared history. DS2 haterboys are dumb as fuck - "JUST LOOK AT ME, I PLAYED DS1 BEFORE IT WAS POPULAR!". LoL.

Posted by bruta - 3 hours ago
glad he's back on the franchise, Dark Souls 2 was a massive disappointment

Posted by JDlok - 3 hours ago
@bruta: Yeah it was. Whenever I go back to play it I drop the controller within 15 minutes. It just doesn't have IT.

Doesn't have IT... :lol:

@nayce54: The combat is refined in DS2, but the level design is extremely disappointing because it did not have the Miyazaki touch, did you not read the article, or play the game?

@jdlok: Yeah I know right. I enjoyed the "miyazaki touch" in Bloodborne, you know those forty second loading screens and having to sit through multiple loading screens just to warp from one bonfire to the next. That was Genius compared to Dark Souls 2's bonfire warp system which meant I only had to sit through one loading screen. And the level design? Yes Miyazaki is the best, because a level which loops back on itself obviously is the pinnacle of level map design. You just can't get any better than that.

@ShimmerMan: ^ i hear you. i mean, i think all the souls titles (including bloodbourne) are masterpieces in their own way(s), but why was the map design for souls 2 bad? every single person i talk to says it's because it doesn't connect like it does in dark souls 1, but, honestly, who gives a fuck? why does that make it inherently better? there was great variety in the level designs in dark souls 2. and the warp system in bloodborne was fucking atrocious. having to go back to the hunter's dream every time i want to go to a new place doesn't make the game more challenging, it makes it more tedious. same can be said of the elimination of an estus flask. having to farm for hours throughout the game for blood vials is honestly the complete opposite of enjoyable.
dark souls 2 is a phenomenal game, and the inclusion of the scholar of the first sin edition might make it my favourite in the series. legitimately do not understand what people don't love about it.

:negative: Not this shit again.
Tanimura was the guy they called one year before release to save the project once the first director fucked up badly. He was in really shitty situation with fuckton of assets outsourced to cheap Chinese artists , no working lighting engine, bunch of random unfinished locations and no coherent story. He did his best ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ He and naotoshi zin are responsible for DS2 dlcs so with enough time and budget he can actually deliver:smug:

Zeriel

Arcane
Haha, jesus christ, what a load of wank. Might as well talk about the "Jay Wilson touch".

nte7DMW.jpg

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Touch me in the right places baby

DO IT

RIP THAT SHIT OFF

I DONT NEED IT ANYMORE

RIP OFF MY HEEEEEART

and my dick

Gonna hurl, get out of the room

Sweet shit though

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Dark souls stuff on the first page. Times are changing and codex too.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's funny how DS2 fanboys have such a chip on their shoulder about it being the worst in the series.

lightbane

Arcane
A From Sci-fi title? Come on, From, please contact Nihei already and make a videogame adaptation of Blame! That manga was pretty much Dark Souls in manga form, so turning it to a game would be easy to do.

Black

Arcane
A From Sci-fi title? Come on, From, please contact Nihei already and make a videogame adaptation of Blame! That manga was pretty much Dark Souls in manga form, so turning it to a game would be easy to do.
Did you just use the "x is the Dark Souls of y" thing? I think you did. Did you really?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I get a boner each time I see Blame! mentioned. Kudos to you Sir!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
lol why are we reporting on a non-RPG on the front page? fucking decline

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom