Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed MISSING - Let's play this obscure adventure game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, slow days at work, it's time for another LP. This one's gonna be short and sweet. It's an indie adventure game called Missing. It's made from RPGCreations aka Radical Poesis. They've made another adventure series called Fedora Spade, an RPG called Sword Of Jade and most recently a game called Immortal Defense.

Missing, as far as I can tell, is made basically from one guy, and that's pretty impressive since it's a professional effort all the way. From the beautiful hand drawn graphics to the well written story, to the excellent music, it's a remarkable effort for a one man indie game. The only hiccup is that the engine is somewhat buggy in newer machines/Operating systems. Granted, it's a rather simple game in terms of gameplay, it consists mostly of exploring your surroundings, questioning NPC's and has only a few simple puzzles, but it's a nice little diversion.

missing.png

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
CHAPTERS :
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

missing.png

Day 1. June 6th, 1990

missing0011.jpg

I let out a lazy yawn as I grab a hold of the clock the resort provided. It's 8:00 AM. I feel as lethargic as ever... but I should probably shower and brush my teeth before going out. Nobody's going to talk to me if I look like a bum.

missing0193.jpg

Phew, that should rinse away the scent of alcohol from my mouth. I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror as I was washing my face.

missing0210.jpg

It's certainly been awhile since I last had a good night's sleep. I take a shower, put on some clothes and grab my wallet.

missing0053.jpg

Steve is a buddy of mine when I was still in the force. He's a good cop. Wish I could say the same about myself. I glance around the room :

missing0071.jpg

The walls are decorated with Victorian style art. It's a quaint little inn. I open my travel bag.

missing0075.jpg

And this brings to mind the purpose of the visit to this place...

missing0084.jpg

I wish I could describe our marriage as a happy one, one without troubles, but that'd be a lie. Our marriage was rocky to begin with. My parents hated her and her parents hated me.

That led to A LOT of problems in our relationship. This also led to the police's insistence that perhaps they are not missing. Perhaps she just doesn't want to be found by me. My in-laws must be spewing lies about me.

missing0122.jpg

She told me she needed some alone time with David. I said okay to this. She never returned from her "alone time" with David.

missing0140.jpg

This photo will come in handy for questioning. I take a look at the back of the photo :

missing0153.jpg

...I hope they still have records of it. Ok, time to start my investigation.

missing0234.jpg

I : Missing.

missing0244.jpg

This part of the hallway is dimly lit.

missing0254.jpg

I look around the corridor :

missing0269.jpg

And then take the stairs down.

missing0280.jpg

missing0285.jpg

I think he was the guy who checked me in yesterday. Maybe I can ask him about Ellen and David. He quickly slips a bookmark in place and looks up at me.

missing0298.jpg

Melvin.png
You're the guy taking care of the lodge records, right?

Gregory.png
Mmm? Yeah, name's Gregory. I'm the innkeeper. Can I help you, Mr...?

He looks at me expectantly with his right hand extended. I shake his hand and smile.

Melvin.png
Call me Melvin.

Gregory.png
Okay, anything I can help you with, Melvin?

Melvin.png
Yeah, I need to check up the room where my wife and son once stayed. They went missing here a month ago. They never checked out.

Gregory.png
Wait, is this the one on the news?

Melvin.png
Yeah...

He looks somewhat uneasy, probably not sure how to respond.

missing0327.jpg

Melvin.png
I hope so too...

Gregory.png
Hrm, I usually know most of the guests since we only have few rooms here. But I only recently started working here. Last week in fact.

Melvin.png
Oh.

Gregory.png
Do you by any chance know their reservation number? It's the only way we keep our log here. It's been a tradition. We value privacy you see...

Melvin.png
Yeah, here, it's in the back of this photo.

Gregory.png
Okay, please give me a second.

Gregory reaches for the log book under the couch.

missing0354.jpg

Gregory.png
Okay, they stayed at the western end of the hallway. The room to the south. The room should be empty.

Melvin.png
Great.

Gregory.png
I don't have the key to that room right now. The custodian has it though. He might be making his rounds to clean the rooms right now. Or he might be outside doing the gardening. Not sure. Look for him. If you see him, show him this.

He takes out a small notebook from his trousers and begins to scribble. He tears a page out of the notebook and hands it to me.

missing0374.jpg

Gregory.png
He should be pretty easy to recognize.

Melvin.png
Alright, thank you for your help.

Gregory.png
No problem, glad to be of assistance. I'm going to the study room for now. If you need something else, you know where to find me.

Gregory leaves the hall. I glance at the note.

missing0395.jpg

He seems like a fine gentleman. I decide to check out the north part of the inn :

missing0401.jpg

Further on, I find the bar.

missing0408.jpg

I go back to the main hall. A book lies in front of the cabinet :

missing0425.jpg

Dear Gregory,

This is worrisome. I tried calling the hotel your father stayed in, but the clerk insists that there's no one by that name there. I truly hope that this is just one of his pranks. Or perhaps he just wants to be left alone for his vacation.

I know that most of my worries turn out to be unfounded at the end, but I hope that you also try to get ahold of him. I miss him terribly.

Mom.

So Gregory's father has gone missing too ? I think it's time I called my buddy at the force, I hope this antique phone is still working :

missing0440.jpg

phone.png
Detective Middaugh speaking.

Melvin.png
Hey Steve.

phone.png
Who is this? Melvin? Is that you?

Melvin.png
Yeah, it's me.

phone.png
Where are you? I've been trying to get a hold of you for awhile now. The guys were worried about you ever since you quit the force.

missing0455.jpg

phone.png
What? Are you serious?

Melvin.png
Yep.

phone.png
Well, I guess now that you're there, I can't convince you to stop, can I?

Melvin.png
Pretty much.

phone.png
Oh well, I guess I can only wish you luck. Listen, if you need any help, call me, okay?

Melvin.png
Alright. I'll make sure you regret making that offer.

phone.png
Haha, believe me, I know. I regret it already!

Melvin.png
Alright, I'm just calling to say hi, buddy. I'll talk to you later.

phone.png
Alright man, don't forget to call me if you need any help.

Melvin.png
Okay, talk to you later.

Steve is a good friend, I'm sure he'll offer all the help he can. I feel that I need all the help I can get, on a whim I decide to call that Oracle guy :

missing0482.jpg

An annoying music plays in the background.

Melvin.png
What the hell is that?

phone.png
WHAT'S WHAT!?

Melvin.png
Uh, that music.

phone.png
That's my background music, nifty huh? UH, I MEAN, THAT IS THE SOUND OF CLEAR CONSCIOUSNESS AND PURITY. IT WASHES AWAY ALL THE NEGATIVE ENERGY!

missing0496.jpg

phone.png
EXAMINE THE ITEMS IN YOUR POSSESSIONS.THEY MIGHT CARRY CLUES TO YOUR PROBLEMS!

Melvin.png
...okay

phone.png
SHAZAM! THAT IS ALL THAT THE ORACLE SEES!

The day gets stranger and stranger. I'm feeling somewhat violated, it was like I called Lucasarts HINT line. I enter the study. Gregory is here reading. An old newspaper lies on one of the tables :

missing0509.jpg

Elle always uses a light blue marker. Coincidence?

missing0514.jpg

Heh, this sure sounds familiar. It doesn't say where exactly, but I have my suspicions. It would be great if I can get more information about this case. I head back to the phone :

missing0547.jpg

phone.png
Middaugh speaking.

Melvin.png
Hi Steve.

phone.png
Hi Melvin. Need something?

Melvin.png
Can you check a case for me?

phone.png
Sure, what case?

missing0553.jpg

phone.png
This is related to Elle and David?

Melvin.png
Don't know. My gut feeling told me that it might be related.

phone.png
Alright, I'll look into it. Call me tomorrow. I'm kind of swamped with paperwork right now.

Melvin.png
Alright, thanks for the help.

phone.png
Hey man, no problem. I'll talk to you later.

Melvin.png
Later.

It's time I found that custodian. I head outside.

missing0569.jpg

missing0578.jpg

Behind the inn lies, what seems to be, a large forest. The air and atmosphere feels heavy here.

missing0586.jpg

I can barely see anything beyond, with the trees blocking much of the sunlight. All I can see is darkness. I decide to head back to the path. Huh ? Someone's here.

missing0593.jpg

A suspicious man observes the house from far away.

missing0597.jpg

People don't seem so friendly around these parts. As I head back to the inn, I find the man I was looking for :

missing0605.jpg

I greet him. He turns around and stares at me blankly.

calvin.png
Yes?

Melvin.png
Here, Gregory told me to give you this.

He briefly reads the note and returns it to me.

calvin.png
I see.

He reaches for his pocket and pulls out a ring of keys.

calvin.png
Here.

He hands me the key and continues to water the plant.

missing0616.jpg

calvin.png
What?

Melvin.png
Have you seen these people before?

I show him the photograph.

calvin.png
They stayed here once. Went missing. Never checked out.

Melvin.png
Notice anything strange the day they disappeared?

calvin.png
Who are you? A cop? A reporter? I already told them everything I know.

Melvin.png
No, I'm the husband.

He returns my comment with an apathetic look.

calvin.png
No, I didn't notice anything strange. I mind my business.

And with that he goes back to work. I guess that's as much as I can get out of him. It's time I checked out Elle's room.

missing0637.jpg

I climb up the stairs and enter the dimly lighted corridor. Huh? I see something in the distance. Seems like it's moving towards me.

missing0644.jpg

He looks at me briefly, puzzled as to why I froze in the hallway and walks towards the stairs. This place gives me the creeps. Finaly, I locate Elle's room :

missing0648.jpg

missing0656.jpg

On the floor I spot a leather-bound journal. It looks like the one Elle had...

missing0661.jpg

I can't believe nobody else found it until now !

missing0665.jpg

May 1st, 1990.

I arrived at the inn today at 9AM with David. The view is great and I adore the Victorian-styled architecture. I believe a week away from the urban jungle that is LA will do me and David good. It's a chance to relax as well as experience the way life is back in the "old days." I'm a little bit concerned about David though, he seems to be scared of the inn.

May 2nd, 1990

I think I'm starting to see things. I don't know how to describe it. It's probably just the lack of sleep. Yes, that must be it. Ghosts don't exist. Anyway, enough of these silly ramblings. I met a nice young gal who works at the bar during the evening. She seems nice and told me some juicy stories about the inn's past history! I might be able to squeeze an article in the middle of this vacation!

May 3rd, 1990

I might be on to something big here. I better call Annette tomorrow. 626-521-3434, I think. I hope she hasn't changed her office number. She will be thrilled at this! Anyway, the visions haven't stopped. I still see things and I'm starting to hear things too. I don't want to sound like a crazy lunatic, but I'm seriously starting to dread this place. At first I thought it was due to it being an old house, but that wasn't it.

May 4th, 1990.

I've talked to Gloria (the gal who worked at the bar) and she seems to be a rather nice girl. The owner likes her a lot and treats her as his own daughter. She agreed to babysit David during the day (for some extra cash, of course, nothing's free these days, not even a gesture of friendship.)

This enables me to work on my "big" story. Anyway, I'm glad Melvin's not around, he'll probably go crazy if he found me working on another article instead of spending my time with David.

May 5th, 1990.

I woke up this morning to find that David's not in his bed or anywhere in the room. I panicked and began searching the inn frantically. Gloria found him standing in front of the basement entrance and brought him back to me. Thank God he's okay.

I don't know what Melvin would say if something happened to him. David told me that someone or something called him down there. It's begging him. I've had enough of this ghost nonsense, I'm locking the door tonight.

May 6th, 1990.

The visions and weird noises persist. I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person who is experiencing these things. I wonder if the other guests just pretend that nothing's happening. I'm going to get to the bottom of this tonight.

I'm going to be a little bit more adventurous. I'm going to snoop around a little bit. That basement is especially suspicious. If they found me snooping around, I'm just going to tell them that I got lost. No big deal, right? That's all of it. Seems like there's something weird going on around here.

missing0695.jpg

I search the rest of the room but I find nothing. It seems that Elle stumbled onto something here. I have a really bad feeling about this, but at least now I know more. I'll try to contact the woman, Anette, and I definitely need to check up on that Gloria person...

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Hell yes, a new ghostdog LP!

When I saw the title, Missing, I immediately thought of this:

$(KGrHqR,!h4E4p8N)eiyBOVVy6,88w~~48_35.JPG

I'm glad I was wrong.

One question, though. Are you going to show off the game's music?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
One question, though. Are you going to show off the game's music?
I'll probably record and upload the main theme, but not anything else since there's isn't any remotely easy way to rip the sound files or find them elsewhere. There aren't many musical tracks anyway.

Cassidy

Arcane
Actually the shading in some of the NPCs looks really weird, as if they were reptilians/doppelgangers not fully shape shifted into humans.

IE:

Gregory.png

Indranys

Savant
Hell yeah!!!
A new ghostdog LP!!!11
About time man!
Looks pretty interesting already.
Please continue Sir.
I guess the inn is a sooper secret facility for the melonhead breeding program.

:thumbsup: :bounce: :bounce: :salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Actually the shading in some of the NPCs looks really weird, as if they were reptilians/doppelgangers not fully shape shifted into humans.

IE:

Gregory.png

Yeah, it makes all faces look sinister. A nice touch I think.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
missing.png

My wife, Elle, and son, David, are missing. I followed their traces to an English country Inn, where I found my wife's journal. What I read in there disturbed me, it seems something sinister is going on around these parts. I need to find them before it's too late.

II : A Knock On The Door.

I step out of Elle's old room into the dark hallway.

missing0710.jpg

This damn inn is always spooky. I decide to head down to the inn's pub.

missing0722.jpg

There's an attractive young woman tending the bar. That must be Gloria.

missing0726.jpg

gloria.png
Hi. What can I get you ?

Melvin.png
Uhhmm, no drinks for me tonight. I need to ask you a couple of questions though. If you don't mind.

gloria.png
Well, I DO mind. Maybe if you order something. Doesn't have to be alcoholic. Common courtesy, you know.

Melvin.png
Okay, okay. Give me a Coke.

gloria.png
Gotcha. Here you are.

Melvin.png
Thanks.

gloria.png
Now, what is it that you want to ask me ?

Melvin.png
Seen these people before ?

missing0739.jpg

gloria.png
Elle and David...?

Melvin.png
So you have. Are you Gloria ?

gloria.png
What ? Wait , who the hell are you ? How do you know ?

Melvin.png
Relax, I'm her husband. She writes about you in her journal.

gloria.png
Ah, okay... I'm sorry for the outburst.

Melvin.png
It's okay.

missing0749.jpg

gloria.png
You know, when she's busy investigating.

Melvin.png
Investigating ?

gloria.png
For her "big story". Whatever it is.

Melvin.png
Any clue as to what this "big story" is ?

gloria.png
Not sure. Might have something to do with a story I told her before.

Melvin.png
And what might that story be ?

gloria.png
Well, a couple of years back, a well-known Canadian actress went missing in this inn while on vacation. Nobody knew who she is until after her agent filed a missing person's report.

Melvin.png
What's so particularly interesting about this ?

missing0761.jpg

gloria.png
But they still couldn't find her.

Melvin.png
So ?

gloria.png
Well, it was a lie. They never got the chance to search the inn.

Melvin.png
Huh ?

gloria.png
I don't know what happened, maybe the owner pulled some strings.

Melvin.png
Could he do something like this ?

gloria.png
He's a powerful man... but I don't know why he would do that.

Gloria glances nervously around the room.

missing0772.jpg

Melvin.png
Okay, no problem. I did not hear that from you. Anything else you can tell me ?

gloria.png
Well, David sleepwalked once. I found him in front of the basement. Nearly gave your wife a heart attack.

Melvin.png
I read about that. What's in the basement ?

gloria.png
Don't know. Only the owner and Clive have access to the basement. Oh, and Gregory, I guess.

Melvin.png
Okay, just for clarification. Gregory is not the owner ?

gloria.png
He's the owner's son.

Melvin.png
So, where's the owner ?

gloria.png
He's on vacation. Gregory is taking care of the inn in his absence.

missing0789.jpg

Melvin.png
What do you mean ?

gloria.png
I saw her snooping places where she shouldn't be. I didn't tell anyone about it though.

Hmmmm... that brings an interesting idea to mind.

Melvin.png
Well, will you tell them if you see me snooping around ?

gloria.png
That would depend on how well you tip me.

Goddamn gold-digger ! I put two 20-pounds notes on the table.

missing0805.jpg

gloria.png
Generous offer. Indeed, this is good enough.

She pockets the money and smiles.

gloria.png
Here's a free tip. Do your detective work tomorrow.

Melvin.png
Why ?

gloria.png
Clive will be out for tomorrow, stocking for supplies. And Greg, he has to attend a monthly town council meeting.

Melvin.png
Is that so ? Thanks.

gloria.png
Don't mention it.

Melvin.png
Alright, I gotta go now. It's getting late. Thanks again.

gloria.png
No problem, I'll see you later.

I've gathered enough information from her. Besides, I'm tired. The detective work can wait. I go back to the lobby. It's only 9PM but the light's already out. A savvy effort to decrease the electricity bill ?

missing0830.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I feel a sinister presence lurking in the darkness.

Melvin.png
Gosh, they really don't need to turn off the lights so early... I don't like this.

missing0834.jpg

Maybe I should try to contact Elle's friend, Annette Robinson.

missing0837.jpg

missing0840.jpg

No luck. I step into the study, there is a book on the desk:

missing0845.jpg

Bah, I don't think I can handle reading through 200 pages of exposition without falling asleep.

I realize that I actually forgot to pick up Elle's diary, so I go back up.

missing0857.jpg

missing0859.jpg

What the hell ? Someone took it ? I don't like this at all. The room is bathed in gloom and in the night's silence the old clock is ticking loudly.

missing0861.jpg

I'm starting to get a headache. I decide to go back to my room and get some sleep.

missing0869.jpg

Maybe I should brush my teeth before going to bed ?

missing0873.jpg

Thankfully, this isn't Heavy Rain.

The bed is inviting...

missing0875.jpg

Yes.

Sleep.

missing0878.jpg

Melvin.png
W-What ?

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*

A loud knocking disturbs me from my deserving sleep-time.

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*

missing0883.jpg

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*

Melvin.png
Okay, okay! I'm coming!

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*

I gingerly get off the bed and open the door...

missing0891.jpg

Huh ?

missing0893.jpg

I take another look around and find no one. Bah, I have no time for this. I'm going back to sleep.

missing0899.jpg

As I turn to go back into my room, the lights go crazy !

lights.gif

missing0914.jpg

What the hell is going on ? What the hell is that ?

missing0923.jpg

I decide to follow it.

missing0927.jpg

The silhouette climbs up the stairs and disappears into the darkness.

missing0932.jpg

...but I feel like I have no choice.

missing0938.jpg

missing0943.jpg

Why am I still following it ? I'm scared, very scared. My heart thumps like a piston and yet...

*thud* *thud* *thud*

missing0946.jpg

*thud* *thud* *thud*

missing0954.jpg

*THUD* *THUD* *THUD*

missing0955.jpg

THUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUD

Oh god, the door is slowly opening with a sickening creaking sound...!

missing0963.jpg

THUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUD

missing0970.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

missing0975.jpg

This... This was a dream... ?

missing0978.jpg

I thought about going downstairs, but I could probably see what's happening from the windows...

missing0985.jpg

I'm not sure what they're arguing about. All I can hear is mumbles from here.

missing0989.jpg

They begin to quiet down and went inside the inn.

missing0993.jpg

I don't know what to make about any of this. I can barely keep my eyes open. Maybe now I can finally get some sleep.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath

Am I correct in believing that this is the first animated gif in a ghostdog LP?

Also, in regards to the main theme, it's pretty clear that the piano was digitally composed... probably through a MIDI soundfont. Not to say that it's bad, it's just characteristically digital sounding. I suppose I shouldn't have expected anything else from a one-man-team, if he did compose the song by himself.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Well, one day I'll make it through all of your backlog. I just had the hunch since the action-sequences in DreamWeb weren't animated, but that's probably because (it looks like) you're stitching the gifs together from screenshots, rather than taking them from video footage.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, one day I'll make it through all of your backlog. I just had the hunch since the action-sequences in DreamWeb weren't animated, but that's probably because (it looks like) you're stitching the gifs together from screenshots, rather than taking them from video footage.
Some "action" scenes were animated... :M
game.gif

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
missing.png

Day 2. June 7th, 1990.

missing0997.jpg

I rub my eyes to adjust my vision.

missing1001.jpg

I look at my watch. 7AM. Alright, time to get ready and do some work...

missing1033.jpg

III : Cries In The Night.

The wooden floor board produces an unpleasant creaking noise as I approach the the staircase. Someone is here...

missing1042.jpg

missing1043.jpg

Melvin.png
Yeah, I went to bed early yesterday.

Gregory.png
I see... would you care to join me for breakfast ?

Melvin.png
Well...

Before I get the chance to refuse his offer, my stomach makes a rumbling noise. It's a way for my body to remind me that I had neglected lunch and dinner yesterday.

Melvin.png
I suppose a hearty breakfast will do me good.

Gregory.png
Haha, I would think so too. Alright then, let's head to the dining room.

He climbs down the stairs with a leering smile. I follow.

missing1060.jpg

He gestures for me to take a seat.

missing1062.jpg

Gregory.png
That means we have the obligation to feed you. Whenever you're hungry , just ask Clive to prepare food for you.

Melvin.png
Oh thanks... I was just preoccupied yesterday.

Gregory.png
I see... Clive, please come here.

missing1070.jpg

calvin.png
Yes sir ?

Gregory.png
Please prepare breakfast for us. And double the portion for our guest here.

calvin.png
Yes sir.

Melvin.png
Erm, thanks.

He bows and quietly leaves the room. That guy is only nice when his boss is here. Bah.

missing1080.jpg

Melvin.png
It's a very pleasant experience. Away from the city and all.

We engage in a couple of minutes worth of small talk while waiting for our breakfast.

missing1084.jpg

missing1085.jpg

She always complains that I keep to myself. Never discussed my problems with her. Oh dear, it's no time to be thinking about this now.

missing1090.jpg

Melvin.png
Oops, I'm sorry... I'm feeling a little bit light-hearted.

Gregory.png
Quite alright.

Clive emerges from the bar, bringing plates of food.

calvin.png
Enjoy, gentlemen.

Gregory.png
Thank you. Clive.

Melvin.png
Eggs, bacon and sausage, eh ? Don't need to ask me twice !

missing1098.jpg

Whew, that tastes good. Better than what I used to have for breakfast anyway.

Gregory.png
So, find any clues related to your wife's disappearance ?

Melvin.png
Kinda, I found her journal in her room.

missing1103.jpg

I turn my head to look at the source of the noise.

missing1106.jpg

Gregory.png
Journal ? What journal ?

Melvin.png
There was a journal laying on the floor when I came in there.

Gregory.png
I don't recall seeing anything like that. Did you see a journal when you were cleaning the room, Clive ?

Clive's face turns pale for a moment. Then he quickly regains his composure as he realizes that I'm here.

calvin.png
No sir.

Gregory.png
Wow, I don't know how we missed it then.

Gregory takes a look at his watch.

Gregory.png
I think I better get going now. I have to attend a town council in an hour.

Melvin.png
Alright.

Gregory.png
Enjoy your stay.

Hmm, that sure was an interesting conversation. Now I just need to make sure Clive's gone before I can Start searching the area.

missing1126.jpg

Clive stops and stares at me as I approach him.

missing1128.jpg

calvin.png
So if you don't mind, I have work to do.

Melvin.png
Yeah, sure.

Charming as ever. I don't want to get caught trespassing into the places I'm not supposed to be.

missing1131.jpg

I go back to the main hall...

missing1133.jpg

He hangs up the phone and walks away. I think it's time I called my cop buddy for some help.

missing1139.jpg

phone.png
Hello, Steve here.

Melvin.png
Hey, it's me.

phone.png
Oh, hey man. How is it going ?

Melvin.png
Pretty good. Any news on the Daugherty case ?

phone.png
Yeah, I just finished checking the files actually.

Melvin.png
Yeah ? What did you find out ?

phone.png
Not much. There's a follow-up case a couple of years later.

missing1148.jpg

phone.png
Anyhow, they got a subpoena to search the travel agent's office. The schedule says they were supposed to visit a small town and stay at Greenview Inn. Sounds familiar ?

Melvin.png
That's this inn !

phone.png
Yeah, you might be on to something there buddy ! I'd be careful if I were you.

Melvin.png
Alright, will do. Anyhow can you do me another favor ?

phone.png
Sure.

Melvin.png
There seems to be something weird going on in this inn.

missing1160.jpg

Melvin.png
And the local police does nothing since the owner is a powerful guy.

phone.png
And you want me to look into this, correct ?

Melvin.png
You got it.

phone.png
No problem. I'll do that... but you'll have to call me tomorrow. I'm in a bind right now, boss is angry.

Melvin.png
Again ?

phone.png
Remember that case you were working on when you got fired ? ...Uh... sorry. When you quit.

Melvin.png
Hehe, it's okay. Yeah, I remember.

phone.png
It's still not solved and the boss is hot on our tails for that. I'll be out doing field work for the rest of the day, you'll have to call me back tomorrow, sorry.

Melvin.png
Oh, that's quite alright. I'm sorry for imposing you on this.

phone.png
Nah, that's what buddies are for, right ?

Melvin.png
I guess you're right. Thanks, I owe you one.

I close the phone and think. Everything seems to indicate that this inn is the center of all those disappearances. But I've still got nothing solid. I decide to call Mrs. Robinson again.

missing1185.jpg

Damn, still unavailable. In a sudden fit of madness I call the Oracle :

missing1187.jpg

missing1193.jpg

Sound advice, but I need some air. I head outside.

missing1198.jpg

missing1201.jpg

Down the road I spot someone :

missing1204.jpg

This time around he only looks at me as I approach him.

strange+man.png
I know who you are.

Melvin.png
Do you ?

strange+man.png
I'm giving you a fair warning. Leave this inn now.

Melvin.png
Or what ? You'll rough me up ?

missing1211.jpg

strange+man.png
Or you might hurt yourself. It's for your own good.

He lights a cigarette and begins to walk away.

strange+man.png
Be smart, Melvin.

missing1215.jpg

What the hell ? He knows my name. Frustrated, I go back inside.

missing1219.jpg

calvin.png
Damn it... I know it's here somewhere !

He's ignoring me. What a surprise. I let him search and enter the bar.

missing1231.jpg

There's a gold plaque with the name "Clive" on it. I suppose Clive is looking for this, eh ? Let's have a look :

missing1239.jpg

Melvin.png
Bryce Mulligan, eh ? Things just keep getting even more interesting.

Now let's do the good deed and give it back to him.

missing1242.jpg

Melvin.png
No problem.

missing1246.jpg

Hmm ? I think I just saw something wriggling behind Clive...

missing1250.jpg

missing1251.jpg

WHAT THE-

missing1252.jpg

HELL ??!!!

missing1254.jpg

missing1260.jpg

Melvin.png
Buh ? Huh ? Okay...

He looks at me with an eyebrow arched, puzzled at my ghastly facial expression.

calvin.png
Well, I have to go now.

He breezes past me and heads to the main door.

missing1270.jpg

Did I really see something ? This gloomy place must be affecting me. Oh well, the good news are that Clive has left the premises. It's time to do some searching.

missing1296.jpg

I head upstairs.

missing1297.jpg

I reach the third floor. The poorly-lit hallway feels strangely familiar and unpleasant. There's a room on the right :

missing1306.jpg

I assume that's where Gregory sleeps. I move further on...

missing1310.jpg

I shudder as I remember the unsettling scene from the nightmare. My hands tremble as I move to open the door...

missing1315.jpg

missing1317.jpg

Phew, for some reason I feel relieved. Maybe I should check the part of the inn behind the bar.

missing1326.jpg

missing1329.jpg

Antique lamps provide much of the lighting in this hallway. Which is to say not much of it. I check the door to the right:

missing1334.jpg

Why not, indeed.

missing1338.jpg

This must be Clive's room. It's pretty spartan. Sparsely decorated and lacking of personality. Much like Clive. Let's search the drawers...

missing1343.jpg

Hah, this bastard must be surely using a false name then. I flip through the agenda's pages, maybe there's something about Elle and David's disappearance here:

missing1350.jpg

missing1351.jpg

The most disturbing of all is a list of names in bullet points, Some of which have been scratched...

Melvin.png
This couldn't possibly be what I think it is ? Right ? I sure hope to God that I'm wrong about this...

I try to look for David and Elle's names among the scratched names, but most of them are unrecognizable.

missing1356.jpg

Hmm, being on that man's list doesn't make me feel any good. I keep on searching the room, perhaps there's something hidden under the mattress...

missing1363.jpg

missing1365.jpg

I haven't read Playboy since, I, uh... got married. Women just can't appreciate good writing. :lesifoere:

My gaze falls on a piece of paper that lies on the small desk:

missing1370.jpg

Melvin.png
Hmm... suspicious. I wonder what that means.

I make a mental note of it. I don't see anything more of interest here so I exit to the hallway. Let's search the room on the left.

missing1381.jpg

It's the kitchen.

missing1387.jpg

Hmmm, amidst all the useless trinkets I find a spade. This might come in handy later.

missing1404.jpg

I'm pretty full from breakfast so not much else to do here. The hallway seems to be leading at an old staircase:

missing1409.jpg

I look down and see only darkness... it's as if... I'm staring into the abyss... and it stares back.

missing1411.jpg

*uh, uhhh, uhhh*

I make jokes to ease the tension, but as I descend down, my heart starts beating faster. There sure is something foreboding about this place. I eventually reach the basement.

missing1418.jpg

*uh, uhhh, uhhh*

Melvin.png
This must be where they found David standing. I wonder what's in there...

*uh, uhhh, uhhh*

Melvin.png
Hmm ? what's this sound ?

*uh, uhhh, uhhh*

Someone's crying... Is someone behind that door ?

missing1419.jpg

*uh, uhhh, uhhh*

I look though the keyhole:

missing1438.jpg

*uh, uhhh, uhhh*

Melvin.png
Hello ? Is someone there ?

No response. Then, I spot something on the wall...

missing1424.jpg

No... It's gone ! And wait a minute ! Something's different with this picture...

missing1428.jpg

Oh God...

missing1431.jpg

I close my eyes, thinking that I was just emotionally distressed and that caused me to see things...

missing1436.jpg

Alright... that was it... just a hallucination produced from my mental strain...

right ?

RIGHT ?!!

Crane

Arcane
Patron
ghostdog said:

I'm disappointed that you didn't make a joke about punching someone out not being the solution to a puzzle.

:bro: Socko! :bro:

Seriously, though, I'm intrigued for the next update - about what's behind that door. You said the game is short, but I hope it doesn't end too quickly.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hah, SOCKO indeed.

Don't worry, the game has quite a few chapters yet.

ALchymist

Educated
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
:eek: This is a seriously twisted tale. I think I'll read the updates in the daytime.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom