Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Mirror's Edge is now a parkour and whiny overprotective boyfriend relationship simulator

Are you talking about her father?

pippin

Mirror's Edge was a fun timewaster for an afternoon, I never cared about the story and I gotta say the cutscenes made little sense for me. I used mouse and keyboard, so making consecutive jumps was more of a problem for me than trying to understand the story.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I will watch it on youtube.

Edit: I mean the movie.

Edit 2: Yeah, EA needs my money like this game needs replay-ability.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And of course, the game features a skill unlock system now. Because God knows why, but you can't release a game nowadays without some shitty skill progression system tacked on. Fuck you EA, fuck you!
Mirror’s Edge Catalyst seemed like one of those games that was never going to happen, a sequel to a beloved game that wasn’t exactly a best-selling hit. Fans who’ve been waiting for more beautiful free-running are happy that it’s coming out soon but some don’t like how it’s handling its upgrades.

The original Mirror’s Edge was sleek and spare, leaning hard on a minimalist approach to its visual and mechanical design. Based on the preview footage hitting the internet over the last 24 hours, its sequel seems to diverge from that just a bit, with regard to how it’s treating some movement abilities.

You can wath it at the 7:58 mark.

The gray icons appear to be default abilities that players can use at the start of the game, while the one below will need to be opened up as the game progresses. While this is a typical way to treat skill progression in most video games nowadays, some reactions to this change have been grumpy:

hopbcae1kca8fhnqinwz.png

comment from this NeoGAF thread
Catalyst senior producer Jeremy Miller talked about the changes with GameSpot:

“We’ve got a different control scheme. It’s a little more intuitive and fluid. Part of having this progression in there is to allow you to be able to master your tools, and to give you a little bit of breathing room so you feel confident and excited about what you can do.”

When asked specifically about not giving players immediate access to basic moves such as Quickturn, Miller noted that by introducing it gradually, players tended to explore the new opportunities the ability provided more.

“The quick-turn is a slightly more abstract tool and people didn’t use it as much [in Mirror’s Edge],” he said.

“We’ve seen a distinct increase in people going, ‘Oh, I’ve got this, how do I use it?’ It’s worked into people’s movement language much more successfully as a result of doing that.”

It makes sense for new moves, especially combat ones, to be used as incentive to play and explore more. But doing the same thing for skill players could already use in the original Mirror’s Edge doesn’t follow the same logic. Folks everywhere will get to see for themselves how these changes feel when open beta hits on Mirror’s Edge Catalyst on April 22.

ultimanecat

Arcane
It's the same "progression" as the recent Tomb Raider or Far Cry games. There is no "combat build" vs "exploration build" vs whatever, you just get silly points to upgrade things because people like to unlock shit to feel like they're progressing. Playing the game normally, you're going to have cleared the entire ability tree well before the game is finished unless upgrades are specifically gated behind certain points in the campaign.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
System Requirements revealed:

http://www.mirrorsedge.com/news/pc-...social&cid=4410&ts=1461082297261&sf45807239=1

MINIMUM:
CPU: Intel i3-3250 / AMD FX-6350. (Note: Mirror's Edge Catalyst requires at least 4 logical cores to run.)
RAM: 6 GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 25 GB of free space
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 650 Ti 2GB or better / AMD Radeon™ R9 270x or better
INPUT: Keyboard and mouse, dual analog controller

RECOMMENDED:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 at 3.4 GHz / AMD FX-8350 at 4.0 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 25 GB of free space
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 970 4GB or better / AMD Radeon™ R9 280x 3GB or better
INPUT: Keyboard and mouse, dual analog controller

pippin

25 gigas. Here comes the supermegahypertextures of white floors and walls.

mastroego

Arcane
Hmm. I'm slightly above those minimum specs except for the Service Pack (I'm still at #1).
Can't be bothered to upgrade.
Actually I'm even above the Recommended specs if not for the 16g RAM.

Well, it's not like it's a day one purchase for me, anyway.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
16 GB, really? How much ram do you need to hold a flat white texture anyway?

Nothing in the trailers we've seen suggests that this is a significant upgrade to state-of-the-art graphics that require so high specs. My PC easily meets the recommended specs but I'm still worried that they've skipped on optimization or are otherwise trying to solve bad programming with hardware.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
16 GB, really? How much ram do you need to hold a flat white texture anyway?

Nothing in the trailers we've seen suggests that this is a significant upgrade to state-of-the-art graphics that require so high specs. My PC easily meets the recommended specs but I'm still worried that they've skipped on optimization or are otherwise trying to solve bad programming with hardware.

It's probably not used for graphics, but for data caching.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
If you want a good looking game in an at all well designed sandbox, instead of some RAGE-linear corridors or Far Cry 3/4-empty shitholes, you're going to need to use a lot of memory for proper simulation of cool stuff. Hopefully they will use it well, but I'll remain skeptical.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom