Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't care about continuity either, the "story" in Mirror's Edge is so weak it could just as well not be there. But I want to look at a series and know how many games there are. Marketing types, apart from their many other sins, are just playing to consoletards and making them feel like they are getting something new. I read somewhere that if they used honest names like NFS 15 or Call of Duty 15 instead of Modern Advanced Ghost Warfare Ops 2, the modern special snowflake kids would feel "excluded" or some bullshit and not buy the game.

Obviously with Mirror's Edge it's not that silly yet since there are only 2 games, bit it's still annoying. It's the second game. Call it Mirror's Edge 2 dammit. Even Borderlands The Pre-Sequel was a better name than that.

A 2 would suggest it continues from the first one, which it does not.

Yeah like Might and Magic X because X means it continued on from IX, right?....:M

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:hmmm:

Well, the VA change might simply be because the old one wasn't available. Can't say I care for the new one, but I didn't find the old one paticularly compelling either.

But wtf is up with the stealth sections? My freerunning speedyflow....

Gone from "tentatively excited" to "it's probably going to be shit"
:negative:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
:hmmm:

Well, the VA change might simply be because the old one wasn't available. Can't say I care for the new one, but I didn't find the old one paticularly compelling either.

But wtf is up with the stealth sections? My freerunning speedyflow....

Gone from "tentatively excited" to "it's probably going to be shit"
:negative:
It's 2015 all games need stealth sections

Athelas

Arcane
I'm not sure I'd call it stealth when those guards didn't seem to notice the vaguely Asian lady frantically running and jumping on walls a few feet from them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Was the original Mirror's Edge any good? I remember liking the graphics when i saw the gameplay videos. Never actually tried it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The freerunning looks the same to me, which is good. Don't mind the stealth sections either; I just hope they won't take too much time. Looking forward to this.

mastroego

Arcane
Was the original Mirror's Edge any good? I remember liking the graphics when i saw the gameplay videos. Never actually tried it.
The original is fantastic, amazing atmosphere, absolutely perfect music for the setting and the game, it will get under your skin in several sections.
It's a little, unique gem.
And if you suffer of dizziness from heights... well, the game is liberatory, it literally makes me sweat hard when I play it.

Sure it's short but very replayable. And I understand the criticism about the last levels making you use weapons.... except that you don't really HAVE to use them, and if you keep playing without them it'll be hard and satisfying as finals levels should be.

And by the way I liked the original VA a lot (yeah, and I did replay it a lot).
I guess they wanted someone who sounded "younger" and more "innocent". Decline everywhere.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Whatever story they're setting up in that latest trailer looks retarded. From my vague recollection, the hardcore parkour people in this world are just couriers that take advantage of the less-monitored rooftops to move around, and wouldn't even be considered for corporate espionage. But Faith is a strong woman who needs the money, so of course she's going to infiltrate the labs in a highrise and keep pushing forward even when it's clear the job is way out of her pay-grade.

The parkour gameplay actually looks okay, though the trailer cut forward a few times over parts that I'm actually interested in seeing. The original only had a couple parts where you were required to climb vertically to a much higher point yourself - otherwise you took elevators conveniently in your path. I noticed a couple of instances in this trailer where it looks like you have to climb a pipe or a feature of a building that happens to be a ladder for a pretty decent amount of time to move vertically upwards, noticeably slowing down the game. Since the game is supposedly in one open world, I wonder if they're just going to call it a day and let you fast-travel up to high points, or if there will just be pipes and ladders everywhere.

Kung fu action still looks stupid, but eh, maybe it's still avoidable.

Adon

Arcane
Man, there was some cringe-worthy overacting in that video. Story looks meh, but I'm not in it for that so it can be shit for all I care.

Everything else looked fine so I'm still looking forward to this.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The gameplay trailer looked much easier than the original game. Very few gaps in the terrain, and those that are there have a lot more ledges you can grab onto nearby.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I absolutely love Mirror's Edge and finished the game up to 10 times or smth and on every available platform, yet I remain sceptical, I still fear the freerunning will be dumbed down in some way.

Also stealth, what's next, crafting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom