Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

pippin

Hopefully DICE performed a Sarkeesiotomy before finishing the design docs

There was a rumor about her working with DICE in this game. The audiences' reaction to this rumor was largely negative though.
Anyway, this is a game about an asian woman fighting shady men, so it's bound to be ok for SJWs.
IIRC Anita just did a speech at DICE where she suggested that they simplify the controls because the game was "hard for women to play"

Seeing how we're talking about EA here, simplifying is what they were going to do anyway.

Fucking golden. There were like 3 solutions to every problem in the 6 or 7 hours it takes you to beat Mirror's Edge. You can't simplify that. But this is EA wer're talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Meh. Was interesting for its time but now tons of games do parkour shit.

Please provide the tiltes of them.
Any game that apes Far Cry 3. No shortage of those. Dying Light is a recent example. As I said: when the first game came out it was fairly unique. Today it's going to be like most FPS shooters without the guns. Well I think you could briefly use guns in the first but not to great effect. Anyway, I expect a 4-6 hour long overpriced physics hopper with DLC up the wazoo.
So, only one example?

FC3 has nothing to do with Mirror's Edge.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Any game that apes Far Cry 3. No shortage of those. Dying Light is a recent example. As I said: when the first game came out it was fairly unique. Today it's going to be like most FPS shooters without the guns. Well I think you could briefly use guns in the first but not to great effect. Anyway, I expect a 4-6 hour long overpriced physics hopper with DLC up the wazoo.
So, only one example?

Except it has parkour.

Alfons

Prophet
IIRC Anita just did a speech at DICE where she suggested that they simplify the controls because the game was "hard for women to play"
9df.gif

primary_RosieTheRiverter.jpg

a3f0e076c628908aeccf8487325670b23b7cf427c2aa709f4d10ccfe41afb02b.jpg

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

So, only one example?

Except it has parkour.
Do you have any idea what parkour is?

Alfons

Prophet
Let's let Google solve our disagreements.
par·kour
pärˈko͝or/
noun
  1. the activity or sport of moving rapidly through an area, typically in an urban environment, negotiating obstacles by running, jumping, and climbing.
FC3 has no parkour it has climbing. It seems good ol' Metro is at it again.:retarded:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Because you don't run, jump, and climb through the jungles, outposts, and mini-cities of Far Cry 3 and use the terrain to your advantage.

:retarded:

With Mirror's Edge, that's all you do. And it lasts... three or four hours? Over the last few years modern AAA shooters have incorporated it into their gameplay. A remake of Mirror's Edge will be nothing more than a bastardized version of that. Hell, they even had parkour elements in that flop, BRINK. But if you all want to pay $60 for that then be my guest. I paid $10 for Dying Light that had a bunch of other shit on it on top of parkour... and it was still mediocre.

Alfons

Prophet
Because you don't run, jump, and climb through the jungles, outposts, and mini-cities of Far Cry 3 and use the terrain to your advantage.
How the fuck didn't I see that. So if I do some jumping jacks, go for a jog and later climb a fucking rope that's not just a workout, it's a parkour workout. After all it has running jumping and climbing right? The fact that it's done out of sequence and with a different purpose, fuck that. Hell, let's go tell mountain climbers to run a bit at the bottom and do a few jumps once they reach the top. Then they aren't only mountain climbers they're also parkour practitioners.
With Mirror's Edge, that's all you do. And it lasts... three or four hours? Over the last few years modern AAA shooters have incorporated it into their gameplay. A remake of Mirror's Edge will be nothing more than a bastardized version of that. Hell, they even had parkour elements in that flop, BRINK. But if you all want to pay $60 for that then be my guest. I paid $10 for Dying Light that had a bunch of other shit on it on top of parkour... and it was still mediocre.
What in the fuck does any of the above has to do with anything? Especially the fact that you paid 10 bucks for Dying Light :lol: Good job I guess. I'm not saying that parkour makes a game better, I'm saying that slowly climbing a wall isn't parkour.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but even if it is the plausibility of it is a sign of how bad things have gotten.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Seeing how we're talking about EA here, simplifying is what they were going to do anyway.
Yeah, the first game had a crouch AND a jump button. TWO different buttons to use to make something awesome happen. What kind of patriarchal, oppressive shitlord is responsible for that?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
www.mirrorsedge.com/

Hello everyone,

Two years ago we revealed that we were making a new Mirror’s Edge™. Last year, we gave you a behind the scenes look into some of the early progress we had made. And though we haven't said much else in all that time, we have been listening. Thank you for your incredible passion and your patience. I'm excited to tell you that it's paid off — by this time next week, you will have finally seen more of the game at E3.

Mirror’s Edge has always had a special place in the hearts of all of us at DICE. The first game had a lot of promise. It was unlike anything else in terms of the gameplay and style — it had a unique soul. But as much as we loved that game, we knew it could be more. So that’s what we have set out to do as we introduce Mirror’s Edge to a new generation.

The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience. This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2. We have landed on a vision that honors the first game — pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith — but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players.

So on behalf on the entire team here at DICE, we can’t wait to show you what we have been pouring our heart and soul into. We can’t wait to introduce you to Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst.

Adon

Arcane
Well, at least they stopped just naming it Mirror's Edge, although it probably still is a reboot for a story that no one gave two shits about. Otherwise, uggo box-art is uggo.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience. This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2. We have landed on a vision that honors the first game — pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith — but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players.

Does that mean, it's just a remake? With the same locations and campaign?

EDIT: Oooooooooooh... I can almost guess what they've done! They probably created a seamless city (new gameplay features, stealth, GTA in small, whatever?). In this relation the above statements would make sense. Even with same storyline a different experience. But we'll see...

PS: quoting bug? I cannot quote nested quotes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom