Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mike Laidlaw on the cancelled Exalted March expansion for Dragon Age II

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There you go.
Even less work for hacks like Laidlaw that came to make console port for Origins.

Your idea that they had an almost-finished game/engine and just let hundreds of people fuck around for an additional 3 years+ is nuts. If it was a minimum effort slamdunk, it would have been released in 2012 or 2013.

Frozen

Arcane
Roguey, Roguey...so naive.
You are talking about a company that pasted random google images picture at the end of one of their games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey, Roguey...so naive.
You are talking about a company that pasted random google images picture at the end of one of their games.

What does taking shortcuts have to do with unnecessarily paying salaries for three years?

Like you really believe Bioware was in such dire straits that they had to release a Dragon Age sequel a little over a year after the first with so many obviously cut corners, but that slamdunk did so well that they were able to fuck around for the next 3.5 years on EA's dime.

Frozen

Arcane
No, my take is that after epic fail that was Dragon Age 2 EA wanted to pull the plug on the whole series and there was never to be Dragon Age 3
Shutting down Dragon Age Online was part of it...EA wasted how much on Tortanic...the most expensive game of all time?
At the end someone come to "brilliant" idea to try and salvage something out of all that mess and what we got was Inquisition.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
No, my take is that after epic fail that was Dragon Age 2 EA wanted to pull the plug on the whole series and there was never to be Dragon Age 3
Shutting down Dragon Age Online was part of it...EA wasted how much on Tortanic...the most expensive game of all time?
At the end someone come to "brilliant" idea to try and salvage something out of all that mess and what we got was Inquisition.
DA2 wasn't completely fail, that was simply not finished on so many levels that I still can't believe they released it. Some design decision were retarded too. It's still my favourite Dragon Age though.

kris

Arcane
Listen to this bioware man you guys. It takes lots of engineers to make the extra content for a game that has shipped and is a sequel.

He's saying they needed absolutely everyone on Inquisition.

What for?
Inquisition was scraped MMO with as little effort necessary put into it.
EA wanted Dragon Age Online but after Tortanic they changed their mind and abortion that was left turn into DAI

From what I read and saw I would say it is the other way around. DAI originally was less MMORPG in design, but they changed that at some point.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I really doubt that if EA thought an expansion would have made money that they would have completely nixed it like they did.

Also, I wonder what the excuse for not putting out an Ultimate Edition for DA2 is now.

"It wasn't because retailers and consumers weren't interested in it, really! It was because... er... we had to put all of our marketing team onto Inquisition! Yeah, that's it..."

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Listen to this bioware man you guys. It takes lots of engineers to make the extra content for a game that has shipped and is a sequel.

He's saying they needed absolutely everyone on Inquisition.
Yes, and it's a lie. They cancelled the expansion because the game was received poorly. Not that they care if you like the product, but that they knew it wouldn't make enough money.
I would expect that both statements are true. They probably did need everyone to work on Inquisition, but if the DA2 expansion had been expected to sell well and make a lot of Money they would have found a way to make it happen anyway. Since it's profitability was marginal it was easy to prioritize it away.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I really doubt that if EA thought an expansion would have made money that they would have completely nixed it like they did.

Also, I wonder what the excuse for not putting out an Ultimate Edition for DA2 is now.

"It wasn't because retailers and consumers weren't interested in it, really! It was because... er... we had to put all of our marketing team onto Inquisition! Yeah, that's it..."

Mark Darrah did confirm on twitter ages ago that there wasn't enough retailer interest in a bundle.

pippin

I think they didn't really wanted to do it considering everyone felt embarassed (to say the least) about the game. But there's also the possibility that they want to exploit the Bioware Points bullshit as much as they can, even if it's just on PC. Consider that they haven't even made "complete" editions for ME2 and 3, which are way more successful, but follow the same shitty scheme. Marketing for Inquisition could also be a factor here, since they obviously wanted to win back their audience at a time when being a Bioware fan was getting a bit embarassing, certainly it wasn't 2010 anymore.... Inquisition kinda came and went and that was it, though. In the end it's kinda weird, having loyal fanbases who always come back to your games and mod them had been one of Bio's strongest keys to success, but now they are with EA, which demands new games every other Thursday.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Fuck that loser.

Wait, wrong company.

These guys are known for their shitty love stories and that fat whaleasaurus Hamburger Hepler.

:deadtroll:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think they didn't really wanted to do it considering everyone felt embarassed (to say the least) about the game. But there's also the possibility that they want to exploit the Bioware Points bullshit as much as they can, even if it's just on PC. Consider that they haven't even made "complete" editions for ME2 and 3, which are way more successful, but follow the same shitty scheme. Marketing for Inquisition could also be a factor here, since they obviously wanted to win back their audience at a time when being a Bioware fan was getting a bit embarassing, certainly it wasn't 2010 anymore.... Inquisition kinda came and went and that was it, though. In the end it's kinda weird, having loyal fanbases who always come back to your games and mod them had been one of Bio's strongest keys to success, but now they are with EA, which demands new games every other Thursday.

They did make a complete bundle for Inquisition though (PC users have to make do with a digital bundle however).

pippin

They did make a complete bundle for Inquisition though (PC users have to make do with a digital bundle however).

They also dropped the Biopoints for Inquisition too. Right now there's no reason to buy anything that's not the complete edition, if you really want all the content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom