Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mike Laidlaw on the cancelled Exalted March expansion for Dragon Age II

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamesn.com/dragon-age-ii/dragon-age-2-exalted-march-expansion-cancelled-frostbite

Dragon Age 2 expansion canned because of Frostbite engine, not because you didn't like it

Mike Laidlaw (that’s Mike, not Marc), creative director for Dragon Age, took to Twitter earlier today to tell the story of Dragon Age II’s Exalted March expansion. In a chain of tweets, he explained it had been cancelled because of the transition to the Frostbite engine, rather than because of DA2’s unenthusiastic reception.

On the question of why Exalted March was cancelled, Laidlaw says “Easy to assume it was ‘the reaction’ to DAII, but not so! It was the move to Frostbite. We had an opportunity to do [both] at the same time, but knew as it would be the first time that engine did ‘RPG stuff’ we knew it would be hard… Had we tried to do both EM and the Frostbite transition, both would have suffered a lot, especially from lack of engineering folks. So Mark Darrah made the call to stop development on EM and go all in on what would become [Dragon Age: Inquisition].”

That announcement was made by Darrah, Dragon Age executive producer, on Twitter in 2012. It seems the call was made before much time was wasted, as “Exalted March didn’t make it too far past concept,” says Laidlaw.

He does share some plot details, though: the idea “was that it followed the red lyrium chicanery of DAII with the Chantry becoming very upset while various aspects of the qunari started to make moves on the turbulent Free Marches. And [thus] it fell to Hawke to stop things from going to hell (again) while working with Starkhaven and the pirates of the Armada.”

Another amusing tidbit: either Exalted March or Dragon Age: Inquisition was at one point codenamed ‘Project Nugstorm’, because Darrah felt silly codenames prevented people from becoming attached to them and influencing the final product name.

A missed opportunity, in my view. “Fear the coming of the Nugstorm” is a better catchphrase than whatever the Inquisitor had. Wait, did they not have one? Point proven.

Laidlaw’s first tweet is here, if you’d like to read the chain in full.

Perkel

Arcane
What was DA2 about ? I remember being something about family but after prologue or something they are dead and you constantly are eyed by gays left and right.

Also copy paste everywhere.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What was DA2 about ? I remember being something about family but after prologue or something they are dead and you constantly are eyed by gays left and right.

Also copy paste everywhere.

Act 1 was about getting the money to get your home back, Act 2 was about Qunari/Kirkwall relations breaking down, Act 3 was about mage situation coming to a boil.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's that time of the year eh?

262187_10150236872916819_4601185_n.jpg

264076_10150236872991819_2593130_n.jpg

261468_10150237121001819_2808265_n.jpg

J1M

Arcane
Listen to this bioware man you guys. It takes lots of engineers to make the extra content for a game that has shipped and is a sequel.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Listen to this bioware man you guys. It takes lots of engineers to make the extra content for a game that has shipped and is a sequel.

He's saying they needed absolutely everyone on Inquisition.

J1M

Arcane

Yes, and it's a lie. They cancelled the expansion because the game was received poorly. Not that they care if you like the product, but that they knew it wouldn't make enough money.

Frozen

Arcane

What for?
Inquisition was scraped MMO with as little effort necessary put into it.
EA wanted Dragon Age Online but after Tortanic they changed their mind and abortion that was left turn into DAI

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What for?
EA wanted Dragon Age Online but after Tortanic they changed their mind and abortion that was left turn into DAI

I believe you're making things up and also underestimating the amount of effort it takes to make a big full-scale RPG from mostly-scratch.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What for?

I believe you're making things up and also underestimating the amount of effort it takes to make a big full-scale RPG from mostly-scratch.
Which is consistent with his postings elsewhere.

Frozen

Arcane
What for?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-began-as-a-multiplayer-only/1100-6423362/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Multiplayer-only doesn't mean MMO, and even if Blackfoot was supposed to be an MMO, it doesn't mean it was anywhere close enough to completion to the extent that DA:I can be called a hastily repurposed "scrapped MMO". The whole idea behind that claim is to explain why DA:I has large maps full of low-effort fetch quests, but they spent years working on the game. Any content that was developed for Blackfoot would have been stripped out.

It's kind of like how some people said Kingdoms of Amalur had lots of fetch quests because it was meant to be an MMO, even though the Amalur MMO (Project Copernicus) was an entirely different project developed at a different studio. No, they really just put that stuff in because they wanted to.

Frozen

Arcane
They are reusing assets in their games for some time now and this was just logical next step in slacking.
For anyone who played DAI this is obvious, that it was MMO that never make it, it shouldn't be a surprise the link just proves it.
To say it was a game from scratch is bs, it was probably less work to slap some cheap content to what they already have then it was to make DA2 (a failed expansion for Origins)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They are reusing assets in their games for some time now and this was just logical next step in slacking.
For anyone who played DAI this is obvious, that it was MMO that never make it, it shouldn't be a surprise the link just proves it.
To say it was a game from scratch is bs, it was probably less work to slap some cheap content to what they already have then it was to make DA2 (a failed expansion for Origins)

MMOs require massive teams (e.g. Bioware Austin, Obsidian's tank MMO taking up half the company). Where was this Dragon Age MMO team hidden?

Frozen

Arcane
MMOs require massive teams (e.g. Bioware Austin, Obsidian's tank MMO taking up half the company). Where was this Dragon Age MMO team hidden?

There are internal things that we will probably never know, who knows when and how far they were in development when EA suits made a decision to pull the plug.
The point is that its obvious it wasn't a single player next Dragon Age game from the start...you don't need any proof other then to play it- you have single player game of 20h max atop some other game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There are internal things that we will probably never know, who knows when and how far they were in development when EA suits made a decision to pull the plug.

It says in your link it was in development before DA2. :M

The point is that its obvious it wasn't a single player next Dragon Age game from the start...you don't need any proof other then to play it- you have single player game of 20h max atop some other game.

That's how nearly all open world console games are made now on account of Gamestop's used sales cutting into the new. Not even remotely unique to Inquisition.

Frozen

Arcane
It says in your link it was in development before DA2. :M

There you go.
Even less work for hacks like Laidlaw that came to make console port for Origins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom